Kreuz - Forks & Sauce

32,149 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
DBSwooper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
When is Tom's BBQ coming back? J/K.

Spent many an evening at the location at Texas and Holleman before it sold and went to crap, then paved over.
WILDMAN95
AG
quote:
When is Tom's BBQ coming back?
[davesouthvoice] The Aggie Special........Scrumptious Bar B Q..........Plates [/davesouthvoice]
Slicer97
AG
If ever bbq needed some sauce, it's Kreuz. The shoulder clod tasted like dry roast beef. The owners also need to spend some time in Elgin to learn how to correctly make sausage.
CDub06
AG
quote:
quote:
When is Tom's BBQ coming back? J/K.
Spent many an evening at the location at Texas and Holleman before it sold and went to crap, then paved over.
The Aggie Special still exists. The old pitmaster has a place in Houston called "The Brisket House"
FlyRod
Take this for what it's worth: ran into the pitmaster (really nice guy) and he told me Kreuz was losing a LOT of money due to not having sauce and forks. Since adding both their business has really picked up. In his own words, "We had to learn to adapt to local tastes."
jja79
AG
We were in town over the weekend and went there for lunch sunday. Arrived at noon and there was one other person in the place. While we ate 2 or 3 other tables occupied.

The guy slicing the brisket wanted to argue whether fat cap and marbling are the same. It was ridiculous.

The food was good, not great. The German potatoes need some seasoning. Very bland. Mac and cheese might have come from a box.

Brisket, beef rib and both sausages were decent but not worth the $39 it cost me and a 12 year old boy to eat.
techno-ag
AG
Went the other day with a party of five. All agreed the moist brisket was excellent. One person had a beef rib and enjoyed it. We spilt the sides and held the cost down. The place was packed. Looks like they're doing good at the moment.
95_Aggie
AG
There was an episode of Guilty Pleasures on this week that featured Kreuz Market and even mentioned that they don't offer forks. I immediately thought of this board.

Guilty Pleasures-Kreuz

AggiePirate
AG
Place cant be doing well, although I do think their food is awesome. I never see anyone there when I drive by.
FlyRod
Was there for lunch today and talked to one of the owners. He said they are doing just fine, even with the summer doldrums.
montegobay
We finally went last Sunday. We thought the barbecue was excellent! We had both the brisket and the ribs. We had some leftover that we had the next night, and it was even better. We really liked the sauerkraut! We went to Black's in Lockhart a couple of weeks ago, and it is not quite as good as that, but we will definitely go back. Apparently they are doing quite well. They told us they sold out of meat on Father's Day.
aggiegal99
I think Kreuz is excellent.

A friend complained to me that customers have to order by the 1/2 pound...NOT true! You can order just a slice or two (or rib or two) or 1/4 pound or whatever of the meats (except the beef rib--those are big--usually over a pound each).
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Was there for lunch today and talked to one of the owners. He said they are doing just fine, even with the summer doldrums.
AggiePirate
AG
Thx for checking on that Mr. Rod.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Well, I talked to Charllie Strong at lunch today and he said the Longhorns are doing fine, even with the recruiting doldrums and should be in contention for the Big XII championship this season. No reason to not believe him.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
the patrons covering good meat in sauce are hurling a slap to the face of the pitmasters.

lol @ this statement. HURLING.

They have a removed their metaphorical glove and struck the face of the unappreciated artist, the sauce marring the canvas as if running red paintbrush over The Creation of Adam. Oh the horror, how the base simpletons have eschewed the culinary titans in their midst, casting their eyes to simpler fares to avoid hoisting their eyes to the heavens where their palette's saviors offered grace for the mere abandonment of earthly transgressions "fork" and "sauce". Humanity has again been offered an Eden, and ungratefully opted to sin by consuming the forbidden fruit, this time in the form of tomato mixed with sugar and vinegar.

Goose83
AG
Glad to hear that a lot of people seem to think that Kreuz is the shiz, as it means more Fargo's for the rest of us.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:

They have a removed their metaphorical glove and struck the face of the unappreciated artist, the sauce marring the canvas as if running red paintbrush over The Creation of Adam. Oh the horror, how the base simpletons have eschewed the culinary titans in their midst, casting their eyes to simpler fares to avoid hoisting their eyes to the heavens where their palette's saviors offered grace for the mere abandonment of earthly transgressions "fork" and "sauce". Humanity has again been offered an Eden, and ungratefully opted to sin by consuming the forbidden fruit, this time in the form of tomato mixed with sugar and vinegar.

From the Book of Brisket Chapter 4 Verse 3 through 8
Fonzie Scheme
AG
And I will smite thee with great wrath and furious anger! And, thou shalt know my name is the pit master!
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
it means more Fargo's for the rest of us

you have to get there at the right time or there isn't much for the rest of us anyway.
FlyRod
The BBQ wars have been great. It's thinned out the crowds at all of them. Love Fargo's, Kreuz, Martin's and C&J. Variety is the spice of life and we gots it here in BCS are BBQ!
95_Aggie
AG
and yet somehow Dickey's remains open ...
australopithecus robustus
Be careful what you wish for. Thin out the crowds too much and one of your favorites might go out of business. This is still a small town, let's not over saturate.
Yuccadoo
Had lunch there yesterday at 2 PM. 3 tables occupied. The jalapeno sausage was so greasy that I didn't even eat all of it. Seriously, it poured out of the link when I cut into it enough to be gross for me. We looked at our bill and the food and basically decided that although the ribs and brisket were pretty good, they weren't 'that' good. It's not that I am being cheap, I don't think. I just think their price point is set awfully high and if it was the quality and consistency of Snow's, I would be there all the time.

We were gonna take some 'to go' orders home after lunch but punted on that idea.
NativeTxn
quote:
Had lunch there yesterday at 2 PM. 3 tables occupied. The jalapeno sausage was so greasy that I didn't even eat all of it. Seriously, it poured out of the link when I cut into it enough to be gross for me. We looked at our bill and the food and basically decided that although the ribs and brisket were pretty good, they weren't 'that' good. It's not that I am being cheap, I don't think. I just think their price point is set awfully high and if it was the quality and consistency of Snow's, I would be there all the time.

We were gonna take some 'to go' orders home after lunch but punted on that idea.
I agree about the sausage and we have given them several chances to get it right, but that greasy, weird texture sausage seems to be what they are shooting for. Their price per pound of brisket and shoulder clod is excessive for this market, although the brisket is very good. We have decided that having them trim the fat off the brisket before weighing is the way to go on that issue. We also love the chicken and have resorted to buying the meats we want and getting it to go. We have forks and sauce at the house and I can make some killer sides at home.
aggiegal99
I paid $22 a pound for brisket at Louie Mueller's in Taylor a week or so ago (it was Prime--not on their online menu). Kreuz is $16.49 a pound. Black's in Lockhart is $15.98/pound.

Beef prices are high, y'all.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I paid $22 a pound for brisket at Louie Mueller's in Taylor a week or so ago (it was Prime--not on their online menu). Kreuz is $16.49 a pound. Black's in Lockhart is $15.98/pound.

Beef prices are high, y'all.
Yup. I'd rather drive to North Bryan and get 4 star brisket than drive 100 miles for 5 star brisket.
milner79
Fork the forks and toss the sauce. It's Kreuz, dammit!
CDub06
AG
quote:
quote:
the patrons covering good meat in sauce are hurling a slap to the face of the pitmasters.

lol @ this statement. HURLING.

This is in response to me, but it is hilarious. Well penned, my good man.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Aggieland board wont be happy until there is only texas road house and wings n more.
Whoop04
Ate there for the second time last night. I specifically ordered the marbled brisket and got a much better product than what I got the first time, i.e., it wasn't a lean cut with a half inch of fat on top. Also got the shoulder clod (meh) and the pork ribs, which were pretty good. The german potatoes were the highlight of my first trip, but this time had way too much vinegar and sauerkraut. I also ordered a deep ellum IPA from the tap, but it was so foamy, it took the guy about 15 min to work it down enough to be drinkable, and I was almost done eating by that point. I will go back b/c it's so close, and I desperately want it to be good, but I am having to try awfully hard to make this work.
CDub06
AG
Daniel Vaughn shares his opinion on the joint: http://tmbbq.com/kreuz-market-bryan-2015/
crbongos
AG
I think the brisket is excellent! Also I'm a fan of the sauerkraut.
originaltexan
Living in the free world society as of today, the consumer with money makes the choices and demands.
techno-ag
AG
Wow 4 out of 5. He really liked it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.