* Halo 5: Guardians Thread *

19,072 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HossAg
Ewok It Out08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ill probably get it tonight.

i TheRufio i
wee_ag
AG
Haven't played MP yet, got through about half the campaign on Heroic (next to highest difficulty). It's easier than expected but pretty fun and looks amazing (not sure what's going on with the plot though). You play with a 4 person squad either co-op or with AI (they're ok) whom you can direct to attack specific targets or go to a specific location. The new revive system is cool (that wasn't in 4 was it?) - if you go down, someone can revive you within a few seconds and you don't restart at the last checkpoint unless the whole squad goes down or you don't get revived in time.

Looking forward to playing some MP tonight. Don't hesitate to invite me (and I may join on you if I see some action). The typical caution is in effect though... I suck.

deathmullet76
wee_ag
AG
Heads up - If you're in the TA company check your inbox for a REQ pack

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/messages?folder=inbox
jeffk
AG
Freaking Microsoft sent my game to the wrong address.

Guess I get to make a Walmart run after dinner.
JoeCalAg05
AG
TICKLER21
Vade281
AG
Starting a new campaign on Legendary tonight. Feel free to join in.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Iced-T14
AG
Just made it through the campaign. EXCELLENT!!!!
Iced-T14
AG
Oh, and if you feel like adding, NSAspycam
jeffk
AG
Op updated with new gamertags.

Looks like I'm going have to pick this up tomorrow - kid stuff came up tonight.

Edit - bought digital downloading now.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Just picked it up.
Add me to the list.
oilfieldAGGIE11
PatAg
AG
Just mainly doing the MP..pistol/aiming in general slowly coming along. The movement on the map feels natural, and is only gonna better as you learn all the different jumps/clambers.
jeffk
AG
What % do you have to get installed before you can start playing?
OE_Ag11
AG
quote:

They didn't enable it otherwise
3Daggie
AG
Played through 4 of the campaign missions last night. The beginning cut scene for the first mission is pretty amazing. Also played a couple Warzone games. It definitely will make a difference how well your team plays together. I did well my first game, but had decent teammates. My second game I played, got totally owned. The other team controlled the whole map and I could never get out of our base and even if I did, I was facing 3-4 Spartans at a time or a vehicle.

I really like the overall gameplay. I love the dash capability, it's a great way to surprise around corners or dash into cover when you are about to die. I still haven't figured out the whole Req system. I've opened up all these Req packs, but I didn't really see how to use them in the game.

I probably can't play much during the week, but I definitely would like to team this weekend for some MP.
hassan10s
AG
I really really hate the removal of split screen
FTACO97
AG
quote:
quote:

They didn't enable it otherwise
Allow me a moment to vent...

Remember when you could buy a game at the store, take it home and put it in your console and immediately start playing? Yeah...me either....

Remember when it was touted that the XboxOne would install the game to the hard drive, but it would let you start playing after maybe 20% was installed? Yeah....me either....

Also remember how with the X1 we would never have loading screens ever again? Haven't seen one yet in Halo5, but plenty of the games I've played lately are full of them...

It's starting to get ridiculous. The last 2-3 games I have purchased, I bring them home and put in the X1. It's at least 2 hours before I can start playing. Last night, I put Halo5 in the X1 at around 7:15.....wasn't until 9:50 that it was at 100% and I could play it. I have a 15Mb Uverse Fiber connection so it isn't like my internet sucks either.

Not to mention a game having a 9GB update on launch day? Really? And they couldn't make the update code in such a way that a person could start playing after 25%? Total joke.

/rant

On the bright side, played through the first 5 chapters and really enjoying the campaign. Graphics are amazing. I tend not to do much MP because I don't have the time for it and I'm not that good so I get owned anytime I do try it. Will still give it a shot with this one, but during the beta I was owned as soon as I spawned every single time.
datrixstunna
AG
So what is the verdict on this? Better or equal to Halo 3?
k20dub
AG
Played the first mission in campaign and really enjoyed it. A big jump from Xbox 360 days to now. Then played for a couple of hours on MP. Warzone and Req packs had me confused for the first hour, but started realizing if I saved up and didn't use the Req packs that I could get bigger things like tanks or banshees. So far really enjoying it overall though! Didn't have any issues with the servers or long waits which was nice.

As far as what FTACO97 mentioned...I completely agree. It is quite ridiculous. I came home at my lunch break so I could get the game install started so it would be done when I got off at 5. Also, I only have the 500 GB HD so I have to delete games off of my Xbox so I can fit the new ones on there and I only consider myself a casual gamer.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
So what is the verdict on this? Better or equal to Halo 3?

Can't argue with the tech, the gameplay, the cut scenes, etc, in Halo 5. All wonderful. But I'm starting to get Halo fatigued. Or perhaps a better way of putting it is first person shooter fatigued. Will always be one of my favorite franchises of all time, but it's all very much been there done that.

So to answer your question, Halo 3 was the top of the mountain. I was so hyped leading up to that game and all expectations were met when I played it. It was the perfect game, at the perfect time, on what I consider the best console of all time (just my opinion). So no Halo can ever match Halo 3... it's all been down hill since then... but Halo 5 is still really good!
FTACO97
AG
quote:

As far as what FTACO97 mentioned...I completely agree. It is quite ridiculous. I came home at my lunch break so I could get the game install started so it would be done when I got off at 5. Also, I only have the 500 GB HD so I have to delete games off of my Xbox so I can fit the new ones on there and I only consider myself a casual gamer.
Agree with that as well. Had to delete a couple of games to make room for Halo 5.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
It's starting to get ridiculous. The last 2-3 games I have purchased, I bring them home and put in the X1. It's at least 2 hours before I can start playing. Last night, I put Halo5 in the X1 at around 7:15.....wasn't until 9:50 that it was at 100% and I could play it. I have a 15Mb Uverse Fiber connection so it isn't like my internet sucks either.
Not sure if it's been fixed or not, but i figured out last summer that the Xbox ALWAYS downloads the entire game if you are connected to the internet, even if you have the disc.

The disc is just a glorified license, and the Xbox will download the most complete version of the game, so it takes for freaking ever. If you disconnect from the internet, it will then install from disc, which doesn't take nearly as long.

Then when you reconnect to the internet, it will download the updates.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:

Agree with that as well. Had to delete a couple of games to make room for Halo 5.
couple of months back, i bought a 4TB Western Digital external drive, and moved all my games over to it. No noticeable lag, and I don't anticipate running out of room for a looooong time.
wee_ag
AG
Regarding the REQ system

Watch the video that Pman posted previously.

Ewok It Out08
AG
I'll give a Multiplayer Arena review as that is all I played over two hours last night. As a bit of a backstory, I generally play and assess games from a competitive standpoint. I played both Halo CE and Halo 2 at the highest level and against many of the known pros. Not a brag, but I believe my perspective will be different than what a casual player's would be and may be helpful to those who approach this game in the same way.

Pre-Game: The party system is a great addition from Halo MCC. I really enjoy the fact that I can lobby with people even if they are in game so that we are instantly queued as a group after their game ends.

In-Game: I am really a fan of the weapon balance in Arena. The Pistol, DMR, BR, and Sniper all feel like legitimate threats that have pros and cons given the distance of engagement, game type, and scenario.

Overall: While the MCC launch was plagued with Matchmaking issues that prevented partying, playing, communicating, everything, Halo 5 seems to have done a great job in addressing these issues. In 2 hours, our party only failed to connect to the dedicated server twice, and we were quickly put back into a queue and into a game within 30 seconds. With boosters, sprint, climbing, and other additions, this game isnt Halo CE or Halo 2, but its an enjoyable game with a noticeable skill gap that should lead to great competition throughout the ranking system and pro scene.
FTACO97
AG
quote:

The disc is just a glorified license, and the Xbox will download the most complete version of the game, so it takes for freaking ever. If you disconnect from the internet, it will then install from disc, which doesn't take nearly as long.

Then when you reconnect to the internet, it will download the updates.
Interesting....I'll have to try that next time
jr15aggie
AG
The comments about the game downloading online and not from the disc are incorrect. The game will still download from the disc, but many games do have very large day 1 patches and it does increase the install time. Many games you can play while downloading in the background. PS4 does this too but my understanding is that they don't show you the % done bar so the game says "ready to play" or whatever and people think it's faster... but in reality it's still downloading updates & installing in the background for a while.

That being said, Phil Spencer has acknowledged the XB1 needs to be better at this and let people get into the games sooner instead of waiting an hour(s) to play a new game. I've seen some games that will let you know that single player is available, but MP is still downloading from disc/updates. It's all up to the developer really and I imagine it gets quite complicated.

My Halo 5 downloaded quickly and I didn't check to see if I could have played part way through the download. It was done in around 30-45 minutes.
FTACO97
AG
quote:

My Halo 5 downloaded quickly and I didn't check to see if I could have played part way through the download. It was done in around 30-45 minutes.
Sheesh, what kind of internet connection do you have? It didn't allow me to play during the install/update. Didn't show ready to play until 100%.

I'm glad Spencer is looking at it. I know the original X1 policies that made the install a nice feature (you wouldn't have to put the disc in) and I believe since that was their goal originally, the chose a cheaper blu-ray player that wouldn't be able to keep up with playing a game on the fly, thus why were stuck with the install AND having to put the disc in.
TexasAggie_02
AG
When i first got the XBONE, I tried to install AC: Black Flag (i had a disk). After several hrs, i was only at 20-something percent. I stopped the download, deleted what it had installed, and unplugged the ethernet cable. It then installed in about 20 mins from the disc, and maybe another 30-40 minutes downloading the updates.

Curious, i tried the same thing last fall with destiny, for science. it crawled along for a couple of hrs. I then deleted it, and installed from disc and then downloaded the updates very painlessly.

I would love to try this with two Xboxes simultaneously (one plugged in and one not).
jarAGGIE05
AG
JRyder05

LOVING warzone so far! This game is solid and exactly what i wanted form Halo multiplayer. I haven't played enough of the campaign to give a solid opinion.
Iced-T14
AG
I thought the campaign was amazing as well. Story line was intense and it closed off several old arching storylines from 1-3 and set up the next game as well. Played well into the halo universe as a whole
jr15aggie
AG
Loving the game, but man I feel like quoting the line from Lethal Weapon, "I'm getting too old for this $#^@!". Didn't play MP until last night and it felt like all the "kids" had the maps and everything already figured out and I was the old man running around yell, "hey... stop shooting me... I'm just trying to figure out where I am!!!"

New maps have me completely disoriented and the REQ system sounds easy enough, but for some reason I feel like I'm lost, like when I try to explain to my Dad that his modem and router are two different things! No doubt if I play a lot I'll figure it all out somewhat quickly... but in the meantime I feel very old. But I did manage to pwn a few noobs like it was 2004!!!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I thought the campaign was amazing as well. Story line was intense and it closed off several old arching storylines from 1-3 and set up the next game as well. Played well into the halo universe as a whole

I don't have a console anymore, but I watched some playthroughs and agree. I think this was just the logical progression from 4. Though, I will say that I think 6 should be the last one to feature the Master Chief. I think that with what occurred in 5, it should end with the close out of the story in 6.
Kampfers
AG
Add me if you aren't super competitive and won't get mad at me sucking up your team. halo was never my forte.
wangus12
AG
Picked it up last night, but probably won't get to play till Sunday
Arkyd
AG
Finished the campaign yesterday. I know there seem to have been a lot of complaints in reviews and such, but I enjoyed it (though I thought they could indeed have done a much better job with character development). I think it probably would be very confusing to a first time Halo player, however (I have played all the games and read the books, so I had no trouble following along).

Now on to multiplayer. I do find it funny that I'm clumsily falling back on old Halo control schemes (e.g. clicking the stick to zoom) even though the controls basically now match what I'm using for every other FPS out there. Those old Halo reflexes are hard to break.

I've only played two games of warzone so far, and have enjoyed it, but both games have seemed pretty one-sided (won one, lost one). I would think a pre-organized team has a huge advantage here, as single effective players don't seem to be able to sway a match to the extent they may be able to in arena.

Looks like we have over 12 people in the TexAgs Spartan Company at this point. Maybe we should try and get a group of as close to 12 as possible together at some point over the weekend and see how we do?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.