*** BATMAN v SUPERMAN Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

74,209 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wesag
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a Star Wars reference (the number of the stormtrooper who wasn't at his post because Han and Luke jumped him and stole his uniform). I don't remember that being in BvS. WAs that really his number?
Texaggie7nine
So Lex Luthor is going to be rehabilitated and take up being a storm trooper on the Deathstar?
7nine
AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

AliasMan02 said:

And his prisoner number us TK-421. Hahahahaha get it?#

No?

That's the designation of one of the stormtroopers that Han and Luke jump on board the death star.

TK-421 why aren't you at your post?

It's just grasping at straws.
AliasMan02
AG
schmendeler
AG
what's the 16?
rhutton125
AG
Watched this on HBO yesterday. Been trying to consolidate my thoughts. I didn't hate it, but that's probably because I had it on for free while I worked from home.

That said, I really didn't enjoy any part of this. The action wasn't good, the JL setups were poorly done, the intrigue was lacking.

I'll try and keep this short:

Batman - what a **** detective and an even worse battle planner. He had two traps for Superman, and then Superman punches him across the city and all he has is what's in his pockets. Also that spear that was left real far away for no reason. Two different people catch him sneaking into Lex's place! His fight in the warehouse was solid but he gets shot in the head so I again question his battle strategy.

Superman - real dumb. He jumps right into that Kryptonite grenade even though he's faster than a bullet. Someone sets him up and instead of standing up for his innocence he mopes and leaves the country. Stops trying to explain himself to Batman and starts trying to beat him down. Poor writing.

Lex - enough has been said. Could have been a decent Riddler? No way this guy ever became a tech mogul or whatever. Also he does the old Marvel trope of going insane for no reason. I guess his dad treated him poorly but he unleashed an indestructible monster on the world. Also he can't give a speech without breaking down so I don't buy him as an evil genius, or even a competent businessman.

Lois - not enough to do. Gets saved three times. Drowns herself for no reason.

Wonder Woman - eh. Every scene as Diana was weird, she's just shopping around or going to an art gala or something, and then she puts he (useless?) battle armor on.

JL cameos - real bad. Aquaman's in particular was laughable, but that first Flash cameo was real bad. If he's gonna warn Batman about Lois in the first hour of this movie than he should probably save her in this movie. It's worse than Thor's vision in Age of Ultron because at least an infinity stone was a big plot point.

Just so many choices that made me scratch my head. Lois falls from a building and Superman saves her in just the weirdest / creepiest way. Saving a falling person from the sky should always be cool, not creepy. It's been done dozens of times and it's still usually exciting.

Mass destruction in the final battle, Doomsday sucked, etc. I'm just repeating everyone at this point.

Could easily have been 5x better but this is what we got. Can't believe it
TXAG 05
AG
Finally saw it last night on HBO. Not something I ever need to see again, but not as bad as I expected. Would have been a whole lot better if they had cast almost anyone else besides Eisenberg as Luthor. It seemed like he was trying to be Ledger's joker or something, just didn't work. Not worried about him being in jail, it's a comic book, they always break out
Ambres
AG
I wish they would have cast Kevin Spacey for that role. I still think he was one of the good things from Superman Returns
Sex Panther
AG
I actually commend them for what they tried to do with Luthor. They wanted to go with a new approach, and when I first heard basically evil Mark Zuckerberg, and seeing how good Eisenberg was in the Social Network, I thought it was a great sounding, fresh take.

Obviously though, for a variety of reasons it didn't work... It's unfortunate.
The Debt
Sex Panther said:

I actually commend them for what they tried to do with Luthor. They wanted to go with a new approach, and when I first heard basically evil Mark Zuckerberg, and seeing how good Eisenberg was in the Social Network, I thought it was a great sounding, fresh take.

Obviously though, for a variety of reasons it didn't work... It's unfortunate.

It's because the writing was nonexistent. What is his motivation? "Obtain kryptonian tech"? World domination? Kill superman (why then)?

(The monologue about "demons not from below but from above" was not compelling enough)

What was his plan? He creates a WMD that tries to kill him and he can't control. Not really supervillian material if you die by your own "masterplan."

Even the masterplan was nonexistent. What benfits him by killing batman or superman and creating doomsday? "I'm a billionaire so my motivations are over EVERYONE'S heads, including the filmmakers'."
Sex Panther
AG
Agree on all accounts 100%
FL_Ag1998
AG
What The Debt described is Lex Luthor 101 (from what I know about the character), and if they had simply accomplished that combined with making Luthor a young, social media entrepreneur type, that would have been a great new-age Luthor. You're basically updating him for the 21st century.

Now, SP, if you mean that you liked the attempt to turn Luthor into a maniacal, unhinged character, then I have to respectfully disagree.
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

Now, SP, if you mean that you liked the attempt to turn Luthor into a maniacal, unhinged character, then I have to respectfully disagree.

Oh no, not at all... basically exactly what you were saying about him being a new age, tech entrepreneur, wiz kid. That sounded like a really great take.

But yeah, Luthor is supposed to be an ultra calm and collected genius who is 20 steps ahead of everyone else... The maniacal, mad scientist we got was terrible.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther said:

Quote:

But yeah, Luthor is supposed to be an ultra calm and collected genius who is 20 steps ahead of everyone else... The maniacal, mad scientist we got was terrible.

Exactly. I was never into DC as a kid, so my background on Luthor was limited to the cheesy versions of him that we got in Super friends, the Superman movies, etc. In other words, I had very little respect for him as a nemesis of Superman. But then I watched Young Justice of all things with my son (and then read the graphic novel Red Son) and finally saw Luthor's full potential. And that's why I was genuinely mad at the version that Snyder and Eisenberg put on the screen. It was the complete antithesis of Lex Luthor.
Ulrich
1. I hate the "satan ex machina". Batman and superman obviously aren't going to kill each other, so SURPRISE ultimate bad guy (cave troll/punchy ken doll hybrid) pops into existence 130 minutes into a 150 minute movie.

2. I get that realizing superman has a mother humanized him for Batman, but in less time than it takes to drive a spear into someone's chest? Batman is too driven and calculating to turn 180 degrees that fast.

3. Superman is a challenging character to do well, maybe simply a bad character. He's indestructible, so the only way to create drama is to either use kryptonite to power him down or make him a moody, unlikable dude whose only obstacle to saving the day is that he's busy moping.

4. I'm not a comic book aficionado so I can't say whether this was a good portrayal of Lex Luthor (vague memories of the cartoon series suggest that it wasn't), but I thought it was still a good character who did a good job pulling a lot of threads in an interesting and comprehensible way. The how was fine, the why still escapes me. All of his explanations were either illogical (but without convincing me that he's actually crazy like Ledger's Joker) or seemed more like cover stories.

5. Tighten it up a bit and it's a much better movie. As others said, the dream sequences were confusing and wrecked the flow of the movie. Plus I'm pretty sure Batman isn't the type to do things because he dreamed it in his head. There's also no reason to go through the origin story again, it's a part of pop culture that everyone knows. Show a young boy in a tux running past a Wayne mausoleum to get away from a funeral procession with two caskets and you've accomplished everything you needed to in 10 seconds. Instead they spent the first 5 minutes boring the audience.

6. The Senate hearing scene worked, but I still felt like the Senator was a waste of screen time. At first it seemed like she was going to be a major player, but the longer she was on screen the weaker her contribution became. By the time she died, she seemed more foolish than anything.

7. The special bullet was silly. If you're trying to frame someone, you grab some black market AKs and ammo, not unique weaponry. And why was the CIA guy there? Just coincidence?

8. The BvS fight was great. Affleck was great. Irons was good, although Caine will always be Alfred to me. I don't like Cavill; he always seems to be Acting with a capital A, but then I'm biased against Super man. The lady who plays Wonder Woman has a compelling presence. She pulled off the female action hero which is a character that usually falls flat.

9. I'm not sure why Morpheus was in the movie, his character didn't add much.

10. All in all, cut the newspaper staff side stories, trim the fluff, and use the extra time to flesh out Batman and Luthor's motivations and establish Doomsday sooner and they might have had a really good movie.
wesag
AG
jackie childs said:

I'm starting to wonder if the "v" in "Batman v Superman" stands for Vander

I was going to see this movie in the theaters no matter what the reviews said. and honestly, the negative press will probably mean that it winds up exceeding my expectations.

You're weird
wesag
AG
Pro Ag said:

Quote:

It's just unreal how many REALLY good moments in movies lately have been ruined because they're in the trailers first. I get wanting to build excitement, but such a waste.

I have wondered about that phenomenon and if that started before the reporting about the making movies. At any time it seems 20-25% of the threads here are about potentially upcoming stuff. So much so I don't frequent this board as much as I used to.

I'll never understand the folks that want so much information before a film is even done filming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.