*** BATMAN v SUPERMAN Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

74,634 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wesag
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rotten tomatoes doesn't work as well for tv shows. Metacritic is much better.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
Warner Knew Yes, once again, Warner knew. I like Warner, good company, very internal compared to some of the other studios. But they knew.
When your argument reads just like a Donald Trump quote, that's basically when I stop reading.
What exactly is the argument going on here? None of us have seen it yet.
That's what I think is kind of funny. Most of us on here have voiced opinions in the past on some movie thread where we all disagreed with critics/each other. It literally happens on every single thread. That said, we all have said in the other thread that we feared this movie wouldn't be anywhere as good as we wish it would be and it probably won't. We know what we are probably getting and most us are still going to see it.
There's also a big difference between "hmm, reviews aren't great" vs "every critic says this is an absolute cluster of a film".

In this case it's unfortunately sounding like the latter.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sure, "This movie is gonna suck, but it's all part of the plan!"
I think a lot of it is that the critics don't really understand the intended audience. For an example:
I'm not sure I would use Supergirl as a barometer for good story telling...... If that is where you are going to go with that. IMO the acting talent in BvS also exceeds that on Supergirl, which I think Chyler Leigh is probably the diamond in the rough on the show.
Definitely not using it as a barometer for good storytelling. Supergirl is godawful yet the critics like it for some reason. My point was just that the critics a lot of the time don't really understand the superhero genre. A lot of them still think the old campy movies are how they should be when the comics haven't been campy in more than 30 years.
That's not been the complaints against the film from what I have read. Like I mentioned in another thread, the complaints against the film are largely against the story being somewhat incoherent. Which has nothing to do with understanding the superhero genre. Deadpool, the X-Men films, and the other MCU films all tell a story in each movie that largely makes sense, campy-ness aside.

You're going to have to explain how them not getting the genre accounts for the negative reviews better, because I'm obviously not getting what you are trying to get across.
jackie childs
I'm starting to wonder if the "v" in "Batman v Superman" stands for Vander

I was going to see this movie in the theaters no matter what the reviews said. and honestly, the negative press will probably mean that it winds up exceeding my expectations.
Vander
Vander
AG
I wanted this movie to be good so much dammit because I've been waiting for it for more than 20 years.
TajMaballer
AG
The last 2 days have been a trip with all this press. I'm seeing it tomorrow at 6. If it's going to be bad, I hope it's at least a corny bad and not a boring bad. I get some enjoyment out of corny.
Vander
AG
http://www.moovienews.com/20160323-major-shakeup-for-warnerbros-and-dc.html

WB ****ting their pants apparently. ****ing great, now DC is ****ed again and a Justice League movie may not even happen. Goddammit.

I'm still going to see it because I've always liked Batman/Superman team ups and enjoy the Trinity, but man I hope fan word of mouth helps it out. I mean it's sitting at 33% at RT, that's worse than some truely horrifically bad movies. I don't know what's going on now.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
http://www.moovienews.com/20160323-major-shakeup-for-warnerbros-and-dc.html

WB ****ting their pants apparently. ****ing great, now DC is ****ed again and a Justice League movie may not even happen. Goddammit.

I'm still going to see it because I've always liked Batman/Superman team ups and enjoy the Trinity, but man I hope fan word of mouth helps it out. I mean it's sitting at 33% at RT, that's worse than some truely horrifically bad movies. I don't know what's going on now.
So many bad decisions made by this group.
Sadly the same thought process is hitting their TV shows (see Arrow and LoT).
Plus the fact that DC is rebooting their comic universe AGAIN....
No one seems to be running the ship at DC/WB.
jabberwalkie09
AG
LOL.... I am not surprised. Goes back to the discussions we were having last night about what would happen if BvS was a disappointment. Though what is interesting is that they are talking about rewrites for Wonder Woman..... I'd imagine that will almost necessitate some reshoots. IIRC it started shooting at the end of last year.....

In George Miller we trust.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If that article is true, I'm a little worried about the directors they're going after. I love George Miller, but I don't want Justice League set in the Australian wasteland with a bunch of car chases, talking pigs and dancing penguins. David Yates I guess could be good, but I'm not a big Harry Potter fan so I don't really know. The other two guys would be awful hires.
TCTTS
AG
As much as I'd like it to be true, there's no way that article is legit...

A) It's from a never-sourced site called Moovienews. I'll say it again... Moovienews.

B) Wonder Woman takes place 100 years before the events of BvS. Unless there are modern day bookends, it makes zero sense for there to be any references to the events of BvS.

C) Justice League will either be filming, or just days away from filming, before we know if BvS likely makes a billion or not.

D) Someone involved on a call of that nature would never ever ever ever talk to some random blogger, or some random blogger's source. A call like that would be between maybe five uber-high level people at WB, and none of them are uttering a word to anyone.

E) Most importantly, as long as BvS has a massive opening weekend, no one's freaking out this much. This call is instead an in-person meeting come Monday morning, and again, only of the box office is well below expectations.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
As much as I'd like it to be true, there's no way that article is legit...

A lot of this was from some web post last week or the week before, about what would happen if the box office was bad.

Seems they lifted some of this from that post..

This:
http://capedcrusades.com/2016/03/16/just-how-much-is-riding-on-batman-v-superman/
scubasteve304
AG
Has there been any confirmation of no mid or post credit scene for the theatrical release? I did a quick search and looks like the press screenings and most ppl are saying there isn't one but I figured I'd check with the Entertainment board.
TCTTS
AG
No post-credit scene. They're trying to separate themselves from Marvel in that regard.
Dro07
AG
Separate themselves from something that people really like. Man these guys are money!
TCTTS
AG
Ha, seriously.
jackie childs
quote:
No post-credit scene. They're trying to separate themselves from Marvel in that regard.
ah, so is that also why they made what appears to be a not-very-enjoyable film?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Post-credits scene should've been Clark and Bruce fighting each other in Street Fighter.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent silently eating some shawarma....
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Post-credits scene should've been Clark and Bruce fighting each other in Street Fighter.
would have been awesome.

Batman beats Superman in the game.
Superman, pissed, crushes his controller, turns to look at Batman, angry, eyes turn red, and...
fade to black.
TajMaballer
AG
That was... Frustrating. I will give a full review when I get home. C- at the best for me. Maybe I was too optimistic.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more it bugs me. D+
Simplebay
AG
Just got out. I give it a B- because I managed expectations.

What I liked:

Affleck and Irons....awesome. Give me a full movie of that. Best scene of the movie was the warehouse scene, which we had already seen, and Batman saving Martha was decent writing. Applaud them

Diana Prince. Gal Gadot, surprisingly, loved her. Every scene, she ate it up. Accent was weird, but just loved it. WW movie is a yes for me

The final 1/3 of the movie. Loved the BvS fight, loved the Doomsday fight, despite the over electric CG etc etc.

What I hated-

The first 2/3 of the movie after the first ten minutes.
I couldn't even tell you wtf happened, lot of buildup and rambling of stories, just ended up needed people to have their own movies and this one see BvS beat the sheet of out each other earlier.

Jesse Eisenberg. He had some decent lines, I liked Luthors story pulling the strings.... But I didn't like him. He was a miss

Superman's movie. I liked the ending, but freaking make it Man of Steel. With the Zimmer score throughout, and that ridiculous Junkie XL rock number during the final fight...just...make it Man of Steel 2. Don't shoehorn video clips of the other members like we fking stumlbed on them, oops. It was sloppy.

Ripping off Frank Miller. Sound waves, artillery, planning, batsuit....it was so much TDKR, but worse than the animated movie.

Gla Gadot did not get naked.

Overall, with managed expectations, it's not horrible, but man its a missed oppurtunity, and clearly rushed. But Affleck is the man, I hope he doesn't abanadon ship. He can save DC. Bruce Timm and Affleck...I believe that we will win.
D12Lloyd
AG
Really disappointed. I tried to manage expectations, total missed opportunity.

Agreed with what others liked. I liked Affleck, Irons, and Gadot. Feel bad for Cavil. The story was just totally disjointed for the first 2/3, and some things in my opinion were just bizarre. Too much cgi, hated Eisenberg, didn't like the other superhero cameos.

I don't see anyway Snyder survives this, and the future DC movies are in serious jeopardy outside suicide squad and Wonder Woman.

Best scene was the Batman fight in the warehouse. Had a real problem with the amount of killing done by Batman though. Looking forward to the Wonder Woman solo film.

Bottom line, ugh...
TajMaballer
AG
SPOILERS BELOW!

I think Affleck can be a great Batman/Bruce Wayne, but in this movie, his arc was just dumb. The resolution between Batman and Superman didn't work for me.

Same with Gadot. I'm pretty excited for Wonder Woman so we can get some more of her story. Her checking the email was kinda lame. Also, after reading the email that shows that Bruce knows she is Wonder Woman, she goes on a plane? That didn't make sense to me.

I was hoping that we would get a twist that Jesse Eisenberg would end up being The Riddler. He just wasn't the imposing figure that Lex Luthor is in any of the cartoons or comics that I have read. He was just crazy.

I liked what they did with Lois in the first half, but why did she feel like she had to go to the fight? And why did she think throwing the Kryptonite into that little bit of water?

Too many dream sequences.. Also, was that Flash speaking to Bruce in a dream? That didn't make much sense.

And I guess they wanted to tease the Justice League, but would have been nice to actually see the other 3 in action.

Again, the more I think about this movie, the worse it gets. I give it a D+
SeattleAgJr
That was the flash speaking to him after having come back in time using the speed force
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
That was the flash speaking to him after having come back in time using the speed force

In a dream though?
SeattleAgJr
I am just passing along what a bunch of DC fans are saying. somebody mentioned that the flip side of the scene would be shown in The Flash movie if it is ever made
Simplebay
AG
The flash costume was fking awful. And Ezra goofy ass Miller....ugh. I liked the lightning in the convenience store, but just....ugh. Snyder.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Emo Superman was emo. The back half was a lot better than the first half, and it took about that long for me to shut off the critical voice in my head. It was fine for a popcorn movie. I would see it again. I thought Affleck did well and I liked Alfred. I liked it better than Man of Steel, and the more i thought about it, the more I liked it. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it.
AggieLitigator
My group liked it. I'd give it a B+

Cavill's acting was the weakest link
BassCowboy33
Pretty damn awesome.
dmz233
AG
quote:
quote:

In a dream though?

No it wasn't a dream. Yes, that was the Flash using the speed force warning Bruce about future events.

Also notice the suite in the Batcave with yellow spray paint saying, "haha...jokes on you Batman." That was Robin's suite when the joker killed him.

As a comic book fan, I really enjoyed the movie. However, it was too long. I really hope this doesn't break DC because I want to see a JLA movie.
Ambres
AG
B- also.. didn't think it was a complete train wreck.. like Man of Steel it has it's moments that worked and then moments that you don't understand.

Why the dream sequence .. didn't need it. .. why the history on batman.. didn't need it..Wonder Woman seemed a little out of place. She left the world of men only to show up 100yrs later to investigate Lex.. no idea what got her initially tracking him.

Lex .. sorry Jesse that was not a good casting. What I saw on screen was not Lex .. not even close. It was a bad Riddler or a very rich Trickster. Either way, the Lex I know is cold, he is calculated.. he would not have made Doomsday unless he had a way to destroy it (Did Lex have one??) Also, we now have a Lex that knows all the hero secrets especially Clarks and Bruce .. that doesn't work for me.

Ok what work...
Fight scene with Doomsday and the logic behind him. The fact that Superman had a real good plan on launching him into space until the military interfere. Loved that it showed Superman getting powered and healed by the Sun.. (Though I question.. how Zod stayed dead).

I actually can't believe I am writing this .. but Ben and Irons worked. They maybe the best pair of Batman and Alfred. The fact that Batman was a detective was great. Loved that the mansion was burnt down and the hint of the "Killing Joke" w/ the Robin suit. BTW: I came in thinking that Ben was the worse casting and he surprised me.

The sad part.. their was a good script in there but the director took it to far.. a tigher movie without the dream sequences and better explanation on WW being around.. rewriting Lex .. and recasting.. I believe this movie would have hit it out of the park.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

In a dream though?

No it wasn't a dream. Yes, that was the Flash using the speed force warning Bruce about future events.

Also notice the suite in the Batcave with yellow spray paint saying, "haha...jokes on you Batman." That was Robin's suite when the joker killed him.

As a comic book fan, I really enjoyed the movie. However, it was too long. I really hope this doesn't break DC because I want to see a JLA movie.

It was long, but man it flew by. There wasn't a dull moment in the film.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.