*** BATMAN v SUPERMAN Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

74,531 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wesag
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
And what is, at the end of the day, a children's movie is going to run two and a half hours. Seriously? The Dark Knight was bad enough. This looks even worse.

Civil War is probably going to be pretty long too
1. Its not a Children's movie. Zootopia is a Children's movie. This is a comicbook movie.

2. Civil War is almost 2.5 hours. With so many characters and so much story to get to, I am 100% good with the long runtime.
Go watch Zooptopia. It's animated, but it ain't a children's movie.
fig96
AG
quote:

Sooooo Sucker Punch with superheroes?
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
I know everyone was already expecting crap, but I'm honestly in shock at how unanimously hate-filled literally every single reaction I've seen is skewing. And these are from trusted / well known critics and journalists. Considering everything that's riding on this movie - really, potentially even the studio itself - I thought surely WB couldn't screw it up this bad. That they would at least put more effort into making sure the script was as good as they could possibly get it. Instead, it really does sound like the entire DC franchise is about to go down the drain.
fig96
AG
So genuine question: how does this happen?

You're talking about what sounds like foundational story and character interpretation issues that had to be approved by the powers at DC that know these characters better than anyone.

I just can't comprehend that.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'll take this with a grain of salt because critics gave MoS a hard time, and I still think that is better than multiple marvel movies including Thor 1 and 2, Captain America 1, and Iron Man 3. I expect it to be meh with a lot of pointless action from the sound of it.
TCTTS
AG
DC doesn't have to approve anything. This is Warner Bros.' show.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Numerous people on here, myself included, stated that those early fantastic, gushing reviews stank of B.S. planted by the studio. Looks like we were right, sadly. I really did want this to be good. I wanted the failings of MoS to be corrected in this one. I was "meh" on the casting of Gadot and Eisenberg but loved the casting of Affleck. Too bad. Unless I see some really good reviews on here looks like I'll be waiting until this comes out on DVD.
fig96
AG
Aren't those people at least really involved though? Or is DC sitting behind the scenes holding their heads in their hands as all this moves forward?

It just seems like there's got to be someone involved that would say "nope, this isn't good".
The Collective
AG
So is the early buzz merely a concerted effort to create momentum or is it a genuine reaction?
Dro07
AG
Does anyone know the main difference from this batman and the others? Does joker make an appearance? God I bet that was terrible as well.
vwbug

GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
And what is, at the end of the day, a children's movie is going to run two and a half hours. Seriously? The Dark Knight was bad enough. This looks even worse.

1. Its not a Children's movie. Zootopia is a Children's movie. This is a comicbook movie.

2. Civil War is almost 2.5 hours. With so many characters and so much story to get to, I am 100% good with the long runtime.

It has animal nudists walking around stark naked. And doing yoga. It's hilarious.
vwbug
Ouch (Collider Review)
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It has animal nudists walking around stark naked. And doing yoga. It's hilarious.
Yup, we had a blast.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Ouch (Collider Review)
Batman Kills people?!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Ouch (Collider Review)
Batman Kills people?!
Apparently so. It's not the first mention I have seen of this either. Chris Stuckman mentioned it in his review, also noting that the film was a mess. One thing that he said, which I haven't read anywhere else, is that the film is essentially two parts. The first part being kind of a political thriller, and the second half being some sort of science fiction smash up (if I understand him correctly). He ended up giving the film a C+.

Here's his review:

Vander
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4bmo6w/a_breakdown_from_a_studio_production_pov_of_why/

Here is a good explanation of the movie situation and how it happened along with why DC fans shouldn't be all that worried. Basically BvS was done purely as a setup for the DCU and the Justice League. The WB almost certainly knew it would be divisive (hence the embargo) and that the reason for the much darker tone was the failure of the recent Green Lantern movie. He's not saying there weren't mistakes, just that it's not as big of a failure as people currently think it is.

It was written by a guy who hated MoS and didn't think BvS would amount to much.
fig96
AG
"Divisive" is very different than "terrible movie".
AgMarauder04
AG
Sure, "This movie is gonna suck, but it's all part of the plan!"
Vander
AG
quote:
I think a lot of it is that the critics don't really understand the intended audience. For an example:

fig96
AG
The audience that likes a coherent story?

Look, I get that you want this to be good, and I think most of us would actually really love for this to be a great movie. But all indications are that that's just not the case.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That audience score is encouraging, no? Then again, not many general audiences have seen it.
TCTTS
AG
Come on. Really? That's what you're going with?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
I think a lot of it is that the critics don't really understand the intended audience. For an example:
I'm not sure I would use Supergirl as a barometer for good story telling...... If that is where you are going to go with that. IMO the acting talent in BvS also exceeds that on Supergirl, which I think Chyler Leigh is probably the diamond in the rough on the show.
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't understand how it has 118,000 audience reviews...
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Warner Knew Yes, once again, Warner knew. I like Warner, good company, very internal compared to some of the other studios. But they knew.
When your argument reads just like a Donald Trump quote, that's basically when I stop reading.
fig96
AG
quote:
I don't understand how it has 118,000 audience reviews...
Because I don't believe those aren't restricted by anything. Probably not a good idea to put much stock in the audience score before a film is released.
COOL LASER FALCON
Yeah, obviously people are just rating it without having seen it. I somehow still continue to overestimate people.

Sidebar: @amznmoviereviews is an excellent follow on twitter.

rhutton125
AG
I think BvS had like a 9.7/10 on IMDb a few days ago
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think BvS had like a 9.7/10 on IMDb a few days ago
It's at 8.8 now!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

quote:
Warner Knew Yes, once again, Warner knew. I like Warner, good company, very internal compared to some of the other studios. But they knew.
When your argument reads just like a Donald Trump quote, that's basically when I stop reading.
What exactly is the argument going on here? None of us have seen it yet.
Vander
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm not sure I would use Supergirl as a barometer for good story telling...... If that is where you are going to go with that. IMO the acting talent in BvS also exceeds that on Supergirl, which I think Chyler Leigh is probably the diamond in the rough on the show.
Definitely not using it as a barometer for good storytelling. Supergirl is godawful yet the critics like it for some reason. My point was just that the critics a lot of the time don't really understand the superhero genre. A lot of them still think the old campy movies are how they should be when the comics haven't been campy in more than 30 years.
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
What exactly is the argument going on here? None of us have seen it yet.
That's what I think is kind of funny. Most of us on here have voiced opinions in the past on some movie thread where we all disagreed with critics/each other. It literally happens on every single thread. That said, we all have said in the other thread that we feared this movie wouldn't be anywhere as good as we wish it would be and it probably won't. We know what we are probably getting and most us are still going to see it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.