2015 Concerts Who You Seeing

33,383 Views | 310 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by goadius6
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
taking my pops to see VH on friday
Know Your Enemy
AG
The brothers are getting old. Al looks like Ginger Baker's twin and that ain't a good thing. He was solid on drums but not spectacular. And 90% of Eddie is still better than 100% of most. Wolf is a very solid bassist. Harmonies started off good but seemed to get worse as the show went on. There were a couple cringeworthy moments but most of that was on Ed according to my ears. And then you get to Dave. Good lord, that man is a total buffoon. He sounded OK on a few songs but that could've been because we couldn't hear him all that well in our section. But he brought the show to a screeching halt during what felt like a 15 minute version of Dance The Night Away. He rambled on endlessly about different dance moves used by various lead singers. You could feel the energy being sucked out of the building with each passing minute. And as it got later into the evening there was even less of an attempt to actually sing the songs opting to talk about God knows what as the band played on. I have to admit that I got a bit misty as Jump started. Part of it was because it reminded me of my youth and part of it was because it is most likely the last time I'll ever see my favorite childhood band play live.
jetch17
AG
yeah i saw some footage on youtube from an earlier stop, and it looks like what you described. VH shows are just pure nostalgia for my dad and I. its one of his favorite bands, and it was the first concert he ever took me to, so now anytime they come around we make it a guys night and go see em.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Unbelievable set list, though.
MAROON
AG
Mark Knopfler Friday in Austin
Hey Nav
AG
Looked at Knopfler's setlist at Red Rocks last night.

Bet it's a great concert. Wish i was there.
themessenger
Saw Foo Fighters at Wrigley Field last month which was amazing.

So far just have 2 more shows this year that I know of:
Royal Blood - Dallas 10/7
Caspian - Dallas 10/14
MW03
AG
quote:
I can't stand country music but dang it if the Garth Brooks show tonight in Dallas wasn't the best concert I've ever attended.
My sentiments exactly. Surprised the wife with tix for our anniversary, and I was blown away. GB was in my junior high wheelhouse, though. I hadn't listened to a Garth song in over a decade at least, and I could still remember nearly every damn lyric from those songs that came out between like 1991 and 1995.

Firmly behind Avett Brothers at Red Rocks this summer, but not by much. Dude just puts on an insane show.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Saw Foo Fighters at Wrigley Field last month which was amazing.

So far just have 2 more shows this year that I know of:
Royal Blood - Dallas 10/7
Caspian - Dallas 10/14

I was at that Foos show and I'll be at Royal Blood too.

Grace Potter tomorrow night is my next show.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I was at VH last night. Being 41 years old, i was a big fan for as long as I can remember and 1984 was one of my first concerts, so the rare chance to see them is definitely more about fun and nastolgia vs hearing great music.

DLR is a fruit-loop and there were definitely some rambling moments, but overall, he's an entertaining spectacle. But I would agree with the points above. I thought the harmonies were solid most of the night, but slipped a bit later in the show - at times they were exposed by DLR not even attempting hit notes so all that was left were overly exposed harmonies. There are a lot of parts in songs where DLR acknowledges he doesn't have it, and instead of sounding crappy trying to hit stuff he can't, he just changes it up altogether.

I thought Eddie and Alex were solid most of the night. Alex is so weird looking now that when they'd put him on camera (combined with colored lighting), he looked like an alien playing drums in his little space capsule.
Know Your Enemy
AG
And what was with that 80's era graphics screen?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I took that as just one more aspect of it essentially being Throwback Night. Solid people watching at a show like that though. Dude in front of me had his frizzy long hair with bangs like it was still 1982.
AggieEE
AG
Really enjoyed the VH show in Austin on Monday. Always wanted to see Eddie live. Didn't disappoint. During his solo, he played happy birthday to his late mom who would have been 100 on Monday, so that was kind of a cool thing.
dave99ag
AG
Taking my 80s rock loving nephew to VH tonight. Never seen them live, but expecting a fun show.
Echoes97
AG
Junkhead, let us know about that Grace Potter show, damn her voice is really awesome. I know some of her stuff leans pop but I don't care, she is great.

Will be at the Mark Knopfler show in Dallas tomorrow night!!! Been a bucket list show for me, so I'm really excited. Have great seats also (5th row center!). I know he hasn't been playing "Brothers In Arms" in the states, but still holding out a 1% hope that he might play it tomorrow. Either way, it will be amazing.

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Know Your Enemy
AG
Where is Knopfler playing? Had no idea he was in town. I saw him open for Dylan a few years ago.
MAROON
AG
Saw Knopfler last night in Austin. It was incredible. His solo on Telegraph Road was insane - I still have chills just thinking about it.
jetch17
AG
quote:
And then you get to Dave. Good lord, that man is a total buffoon. He sounded OK on a few songs but that could've been because we couldn't hear him all that well in our section. But he brought the show to a screeching halt during what felt like a 15 minute version of Dance The Night Away. He rambled on endlessly about different dance moves used by various lead singers. .

I half-jesus'd when I woke up this morning.

Fun time in Houston last night, but holy balls DLR is embarrassing. The talking through song lyrics sucks. His sit down with guitar & harmonica and rant about God knows what was the show killer in Houston

Scotty Appleton
Finally caught Royal Blood last night. Those 2 are pretty killer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Finally caught Royal Blood last night. Those 2 are pretty killer.

Going to see them in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

Grace Potter put on a great show. She is nonstop energy for 2 solid hours. Quite possibly one of the best voices I've ever heard live.
Echoes97
AG
Junkhead, Knopfler is playing the Majestic Theatre tonight in big D. Bought tix months ago anticipating that we could make both the Arkie game and the show, but then the night kickoff happened. Sucks we're gonna miss the game but am so very stoked for the show. Can't wait.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Know Your Enemy
AG
Very cool. You're going to love the show. Such an amazing player with an ultra smooth tone.
TP Ag '87
AG
Pretty good month in Houston:

Royal Blood
Tremonti
Winery Dogs

(Thanks to this forum for heads up on RB and WD.)
Wheatables02
AG
Foo fighters tonight in okc
TP Ag '87
AG
Amazing: FF in OKC but not Houston. I don't get it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Foos have skipped Texas on two straight tours now (not counting ACL). There must be some kinda beef with a big promoter here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Went to the Global Citizen Festival this past weekend in Central Park.

Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, and Pearl Jam. Surprise appearances by Common, Sting, and Ariana Grande (whose voice admittedly impressed me).

Was a great time. Sheeran is amazingly talented. Pearl Jam's still got it. Beyonce puts on a hell of a show even though I'm meh on her music.
jrod2181
Iron Maiden- Feb 24th 2016 Fort Lauderdale

Kristen Chenowith- Feb 26th 2016 Clearwater
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looks like I'm going to ACL tomorrow and Royal Blood Saturday night in Austin. Won't be able to make their Dallas show after all.
themessenger
ACL, like many festivals, has a radius clause won't allow headliners to play in close cities within a close time frame, which is why they won't play in Dallas or Houston this tour. I think it's something due to C3 and what Lollapalooza has. Despite how awesome ACL usually is, that's a really negative side effect.
TP Ag '87
AG
That's QUITE the varied tastes! I applaud you for the eclectic nature of your choices.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
ACL, like many festivals, has a radius clause won't allow headliners to play in close cities within a close time frame, which is why they won't play in Dallas or Houston this tour. I think it's something due to C3 and what Lollapalooza has. Despite how awesome ACL usually is, that's a really negative side effect.

Foos skipped Texas on the last tour too. Starting to think there is some kind of beef with the promoter for this area.
themessenger
It has to be something like along those lines in combination with the ACL radius clause and huge payday.

Pearl Jam has the same beef because they've played one non ACL show in Texas since 2003 (Dallas 2013). It's really frustrating.
Wheatables02
AG
Ill take okc from Dallas over acl headaches. Had upper level seats. Went to will call and paid $75 and got lower level next to stage 5 rows back.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Saw Royal Blood, Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr, and Foo Fighters Friday at ACL.

Saw Royal Blood play at Emo's last night. Those two guys put out a wall of sound. So damn good live. Tons of energy.

For the record, last night's show was my 21st of the year and I still have tickets for Chris Cornell already in my possession. Too bad Motorhead had to cancel a few weeks ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.