Mythbusters plan to uncover plane on conveyor belt

91,126 Views | 2087 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by toucan82
OneManArmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want this thread to last longer than the lol cats thread.
IIIHorn
Does anyone know how many replies the videoag98 version received?
simplified
AG
Here's to eclipsing videoag98's thread
buckyisking
AG
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060303.html
simplified
AG
Let's get Cecil in on this thread
Oh Four Five
AG
1028 replies

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=12&topic_id=760762
IIIHorn
Thanks.
Ag with kids
AG
And for MKF...

I'm not one of them...

quote:
if you are going to blow the chronic you shouldn't post afterward
videoag98
TriAg2010
AG
page 11
Aero Aggie
If your a tard and cant figure this out, try this. Make a paper airplane, sprint w/ it in your hand and let go... does it still fly? Ok now go get yourself a cookie.
simplified
AG
haha, videoag98
tlepoC
AG
WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE....

how the **** did you get into A&M....how the **** could it possibly make sense that the treadmill (IRL) could stop an airplane from flying?

btw, Mythbusters is a shoddy show and the people that trust what these goons say on ANYTHING are complete morons.
Kempster
quote:

How Does A Plane Take Off?

To understand the workings of a plane, it is important to consider the forces it encounters.

1. Thrust - is the force that moves the plane forward.
2. Weight - is the force that pulls the plane downward.
3. Drag - is the force that tends to stop the plane from moving forward.
4. Lift - is the force that keeps the plane in the air.

Of the aforementioned forces it is clear the lift played a major role in making the plane fly. The wings of the plane is responsible in producing this lift and how it came to be so can be deduced from its shape which is called the aerofoil (wing).

The air / wind has to do a lot with the plane taking off. As the plane starts to gain speed it has several characteristics to making it fly. One is downforce. As the air moves through the aerofoil, the air passing over the top of the wing moves faster than the air crossing underneath it. As the air goes passed the wing and due to its shape, the air moves in the downward motion. The difference in air speeds and the downward movement of the air causes a difference in air pressure between the top and bottom surface of the wing. There is low air pressure at the top and high air pressure underneath that causes the wing to be sucked up causing the lift.

According to the explanation above, a plane thrusting forward on a conveyor belt could not lift off the ground because there is no air speed (air passing at high speed) or downward movement of air over the wings to cause lift.

Is this correct? If not, please explain. I'm confused.

[This message has been edited by Kempster (edited 10/24/2007 7:17p).]
Goose
AG
It won't take off.
simplified
AG
lol
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
Is this correct? If not, please explain. I'm confused.

If the conveyor is matching the ground speed of the plane, the wings will still move through the air because the plane is propelled by taking air from in front, and moving it to the back (prop or jet...simplified)...not any mechanical ties in the wheels...(like a car).

The cat looking at you from the clouds will stick its tounge out and laugh because its children are dying while you service yourself.
1876er
AG
haha this again.
Ulrich
flaith, your FBD would get lots of red ink if it were for a grade. Although the y-dimension would no doubt completely blow some of these fools' minds.
Flaith
AG
yeah... i was just thinking in terms of x-dimension forces applicable to this troll
JosephTomei13
Kempster
TexasRebel, thanks for your reply. However, this is what I don't understand about your explanation:

quote:
the wings will still move through the air

How can wings move through the air when the plane is not moving? Although the wheels are spinning and the plane is thrusting at speed on the conveyor belt, the plane is still stationary. It's motionless. If it's not moving, how can the wings be moving through the air, as you say.

quote:
the plane is propelled by taking air from in front, and moving it to the back

We’re not talking about a plane that is already airborne. We're talking about a grounded plane taking off. The plane must lift off the ground first. Yes, the plane is propelled forward, but is mere propulsion going to lift a grounded Boeing beast up into the air? You require propulsion AND lift, yes? And from what I understand, lift is achieved when air is speeding over and under the wings.

[This message has been edited by Kempster (edited 10/24/2007 9:09p).]
simplified
AG
good lord.

those who think the plane doesn't take off are a lost cause.
Kempster
Don't just say "you're wrong" and give the thumbs down. Given the rationale posted above, explain to me why you think I'm wrong.
simplified
AG
there are 10 pages worth of that on this thread
JosephTomei13
page 11
Ulrich
Here is a better FBD.

Kempster
Alright. Just answer me this. Just one easy question.

If air speed (air passing at high speed) and downward movement of air speeding over the wings is crucial for a plane to LIFT off the ground, how is this achieved when a plane thrusting forward on a conveyor belt is stationary and unmoving?
Ulrich
The wheels don't really matter. There have been about 9,000 examples of that, but I will repeat one, the skateboard example.

If you are riding a skateboard on a conveyor, the wheels will roll forward at the same rate the conveyor moves backwards, in an ideal situation. That is the situation we have with the plane. Now, if you grab a railing and pull yourself forwards while standing on the skateboard, the wheels will keep rolling even faster, but the skateboard will move ahead anyway. In the same way, if you turn on the engines on the plane, there is a thrust. This thrust is not exerted on the conveyor or through the wheels but through the air, so the plane will move forward through the air. Notice that the conveyor does not affect this. Now, the air is what provides the lift, so since you are moving forward through the air, you get lift and lift off.

You are in fact moving in relation to the ground and the air. The conveyor does not matter because the wheels are not really doing anything, just providing a relatively frictionless way to move along the ground.

If the plane propelled itself through its wheels, then you would be correct, but it does not.

[This message has been edited by aero ag 2010 (edited 10/24/2007 9:24p).]
simplified
AG
I'll answer your question with a question.

What makes you think a conveyor belt is going to keep a jet or prop propelled aircraft stationary?
Texags is garbage
i like walking the opposite way on conveyor belts sons.
Rex Racer
AG
Holy crap! I step away for a day, and look what I miss!

Kempster
quote:
I'll answer your question with a question.

What makes you think a conveyor belt is going to keep a jet or prop propelled aircraft stationary?

If thrust is applied the aircraft will move forward - but the belt will accelerate backwards to counteract the forward velocity - so all this does is make the wheels spin faster without changing the aircrafts forward motion in anyway. So the plane remains static.

Maybe this is why I sucked at physics.
simplified
AG
wheel speed has no effect on the overall speed of the aircraft.
toucan82
the conveyor is moot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.