What's up with all the..

16,980 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
JTrainsBabyCousin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
My bad. The history of race relations in America has no bearing whatsoever on the current situation.
History will always have relevance.. but after awhile you're just beating a dead horse. Like I said, first hand in my professional life I have seen zero disparagement towards people from different backgrounds.
JTrainsBabyCousin
quote:
Gawdamn Mexicans taking jobs from hard working Guatamalens and Hondurans.

I assure you that I'm not a redneck and don't think in this vein.. but compelling additions to the thread there, George.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
quote:
quote:
My bad. The history of race relations in America has no bearing whatsoever on the current situation.
History will always have relevance.. but after awhile you're just beating a dead horse. Like I said, first hand in my professional life I have seen zero disparage among people from different backgrounds.

Turns out there is a little diddy called Affirmative Action. It's basically designed to do the opposite of discriminating against minorities. It bypasses a merit system to a degree and allows for the advancement of women and minorities.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Family didn't own slaves. No guilt here.
mine did. No guilt here.
BR0
quote:

The only ones "holding down" minorities in this country are the thugs and welfare moms themselves, and the democrat party. That's it. Period.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
No, I do agree with you 100% about that, they have definitely been mistreated. This prof also talked about how Sully was a white supremacist because he was a Texas ranger. To round out the class she talked about how native Americans didn't know that whites would retaliate when they went about stealing horses from settlers. I understand it was sport in there culture, but after awhile I don't think they continued to think it was a good idea to steal from settlers when they were met with lead.

Do yourself a favor and stop taking sociology classes. It's literally a bachelors degree in complaining.
Dr. Nefario
No white guilt here. Why? Because that whole slavery thing...never happened. Black people actually came here from Africa voluntarily because they heard there were lots of good farming jobs.
wangus12
AG
A good buddy and I were walking around the square in Denton one night last year during the big protests. Denton has a monument to Confederate soldiers and there were some UNT students protesting their with signs saying how "whites have never done anything for them" etc.This was also around 1am and my buddy had partaken in some libations. He walked over and started to talk in his east Texas drawl and it got somewhat heated. It ended with him saying that "Whites were kind enough to bring their ungrateful asses to the States and we should of sent them back" Needless to say, they didn't take it very well. He's a jackass, but damn the look on their faces.

Anyways, here's how to fix Charlotte

Ragoo
AG
quote:
remember that time when the white supremacist germans invaved most of europe gathering jews and imprisoning and murdering them by the tens of millions? i am sure that act of hatred and violence 70 years ago still drives a rift through those cultures in europe. probably so much that they murder each other on the streets and hold rallys and kneel at futbol matches and hold a fist up in defiance.
swimmerbabe11
I just really wish people would stop throwing the word cuck around.
Stop. It's gross and inappropriate. It's not a political word that belongs in anything resembling an intelligent discussion.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I am descended both from slave owners and from the first documented freed black slave in America.

I have already paid myself reparations so I'm good.
Chickenhawk
quote:
quote:
My entire sociology class today centered around the horrible history of Sully, and how whites, and the government are still directly responsible for most issues that plague the black community. This professor spends every class slighting white people, while peddling her leftist ideology. All of this, and she has never given one idea on how to stop these issues. I'm sorry but if you don't like this state or this country go try living somewhere else.

One should always discuss solutions as well as problems.

However, are you suggesting that the historical disenfranchisement of blacks in America is not at the root of the issues that plague that community?

Dad-O-Lot
AG
quote:
However, are you suggesting that the historical disenfranchisement of blacks in America is not at the root of the issues that plague that community?

I will state unequivocally: It is NOT.

The root of the issues that plague "that community", is victimhood. As long as a person blames someone else for their state in life, they are abdicating any responsibility or ability to change it.

If historical disenfranchisement is the problem, then you would think that the longer away from that history we get, the better off things would get. That is obviously not the case.
Chickenhawk
quote:
quote:

The root of the issues that plague "that community", is victimhood. As long as a person blames someone else for their state in life, they are abdicating any responsibility or ability to change it.

If historical disenfranchisement is the problem, then you would think that the longer away from that history we get, the better off things would get. That is obviously not the case.
Chickenhawk
Furthermore, if historical disenfranchisement caused these "community" issues, the Jews would really be sucking at life. They have been persecuted far more for far longer than any other group in human history.
Spotted Ag
AG

JTrainsBabyCousin
quote:
Furthermore, if historical disenfranchisement caused these "community" issues, the Jews would really be sucking at life. They have been persecuted far more for far longer than any other group in human history.
How dare you use logic when adding to this discussion.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
mine did. No guilt here.
My husband's family is from Kentucky. One side of the family owned slaves. Their ancestral plantation even still has a block in the front where slave auctions were held.

The other side of the family's ancestral farm was a stop on the underground rail road. The attic has hiding places in the attic for run-away slaves.

My father-in-law's current house was built in circa 1831 and has a brick house in the back that served as both kitchen and slave quarters and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places' "African American Historic Places" as a rare "cultural artifact." This house is about the same age as the farm, but wasn't historically a family property.

No guilt here. But fascinating history. My family wasn't even in the US until the 1900s.

aggiedad55
AG
My family arrived in Virginia in 1652, fought in the Revolutionary War & fought for the Confederacy. My family had a lot of slaves thru the generations. No guilt here!
Trident 88
AG
Our society should ignore skin color altogether and simply focus on helping poor people. In the process of doing that, we should identify the poor kids who show academic promise and give them a leg up by offering to move those kids out of their crappy surroundings to dorms near good schools. Help the parents in exchange for them allowing us to save the kids capable of amounting to something.

Just FYI - our schools (at least, the schools in Texas) are rated based on the progress of their students, and they still score more points for how well a minority kid does than a white kid. It's ridiculous.
Gil
AG
As a part Mexican/part German I did find out that some of my family on my Spanish side did sail the Gulf Coast and rounded up "loose slaves" to sell them back at various ports.

Here's the rub - it was not me. And no offense, how can I feel or be guilty for any of that? I had nothing to do with it, and people need to look at the historical context of the time frame things happened in. You cannot judge the past in the lens of the present.

That's like doing marijuana after coke - it makes no sense, no one wins, and arguing with anyone fails to achieve anything.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
2/3 of the entire European Jewish population was murdered in the holocaust, estimates near 11 million people, not to mention the numbers enslaved that saw the end of the war. Over a span of 250 years roughly 10 million African slaves were brought to the Americas.
Sapper Redux
quote:

The Jews were relegated to industries such as banking that Christians were not allowed to engage in during the Middle Ages. As it turned out, that was pretty handy when capitalism came along. The ones who weren't well off were at least left alone in their communities when they weren't subject to pogroms. In short, they weren't slaves subject to no education and forced manual labor.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:

Actually, black Americans are doing better. Despite what Trump says, more blacks are in the middle class and doing better than before. That does not mean that they are accumulating wealth or progressing at the same rate as white Americans. And it does not change the problems facing poor black communities.

I've said this many times before, I think the idea of "guilt" is stupid. But our society, our systems, were created and refined for hundreds of years. Only for 50 of those have blacks been de jure equal citizens.

The idea that all discrimination or inequality disappeared magically the second the Civil Rights Act was passed is beyond naive. It's a long process to change patterns of thought, behavior, perception, and the physical systems themselves.
RAB87
AG
So, watching the Charlotte coverage, I see our black president and black attorney general and the black police chief and the black officer that fired the shot. Then I see the protesters screaming about black oppression.

On TV, in a nation with less than 20% blacks, I see black NFL players that represent 80% of the league - complaining about oppression.

But no one is willing to acknowledge these things because they feel "guilty"? What an upside down world.
The Fife
It's just a modern day version of original sin. Not that it makes any sense but I see people try and justify both the same way.
RAB87
AG
quote:
The idea that all discrimination or inequality disappeared magically the second the Civil Rights Act was passed is beyond naive. It's a long process to change patterns of thought, behavior, perception, and the physical systems themselves.
Economic inequality will always exist in a society based on effort and results. In my 30 year professional career I have not seen racism a single time - but I have consistently seen overt and subtle preference given to minorities, purely for the sake of diversity.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Family DID own slaves. I never did though. No guilt here either.
Chickenhawk
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, black Americans are doing better. Despite what Trump says, more blacks are in the middle class and doing better than before. That does not mean that they are accumulating wealth or progressing at the same rate as white Americans. And it does not change the problems facing poor black communities.

I've said this many times before, I think the idea of "guilt" is stupid. But our society, our systems, were created and refined for hundreds of years. Only for 50 of those have blacks been de jure equal citizens.

I get what you are saying, but it is almost like the whole debate shapes up to appear as though only blacks have been oppressed and are descriminated against. They arent. Yet most other communities don't cry about it near as much.

Personal responsibility will go a long way to fixing literally millions of lives in the black community. But the very mention of work or having to do something other than simply waiting for a handout is met with cries of derision, cries of "hating poor people", etc.

Is it so much to ask that in the land of INDIVIDUAL freedom and liberty you stop ****ing crying, dust your boots off, and cowboy the **** up? No matter past injustices, you have the ability to carve out your own piece of the American pie...so long as you are willing to work for it.
Sapper Redux
Sounds lovely. Too bad statistically the "pull yourself by your bootstraps" myth is just a myth. We have less economic mobility than much of Europe.
haircut
AG
People of all types pull themselves up by the bootstraps all the time. It's not a myth. Talk about making up ***** Good lord
Chickenhawk
quote:
Sounds lovely. Too bad statistically the "pull yourself by your bootstraps" myth is just a myth. We have less economic mobility than much of Europe.

Huh, no kidding. Well, ***** I guess I better go ahead and go back to tell my 20 year old self to go ahead and give up.
Sapper Redux
quote:
People of all types pull themselves up by the bootstraps all the time. It's not a myth. Talk about making up ***** Good lord

We're talking statistics. Not anecdotes.
Chickenhawk
quote:
quote:

No. You are talking excuses.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:
quote:

No. You are talking excuses.

Believe it or not, no, I'm not. But I realize this goes against your almost religious orthodoxy about economic and social mobility and structure. So it's probably best just to drop it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.