What's up with all the..

16,964 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What religious, philosophical, or political solutions are you expecting on a college football team fan board? The idea of a message board is to exchange thoughts and be part of a community. Not solve world hunger.
haircut
AG
I'm running on fumes and exhausted. No reason to take it out on some poster. I'll leave my previous comments becaise I was being a dick for no reason.
riverrataggie
AG
Come on now. Group hug.
Burrus86
AG
I do not feel guilty for being white, but I am prejudiced towards assholles in general: white, black, brown, Asian, green.....I hate them all. Nothing personal, but if a person acts like an assholle they deserve to be treated as such.
AggieBand2004
AG
Wiped with paper?
Touchscreen
AG
quote:
My entire sociology class today centered around the horrible history of Sully, and how whites, and the government are still directly responsible for most issues that plague the black community. This professor spends every class slighting white people, while peddling her leftist ideology. All of this, and she has never given one idea on how to stop these issues. I'm sorry but if you don't like this state or this country go try living somewhere else.
What kind of garbage sociology class is that? And you just sit there and listen to that drivel? Why didn't you just leave?
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
You are aware that race correlates with poverty and that there are historic reasons for this correlation?
To get back on track... This post is TLDR and probably only for Watson to read. But it is worth discussing.

In short - Yes. I am aware of that. No need to be a jackass. Jackass. I even stated as much in my post. There is definitely a correlation.

First and foremost, the difference between equal opportunity and equal outcomes has been pointed out several times to you. I think you should get it by now, and if not, there is nothing more to discuss here. Think of this in % terms. It is ridiculous to think that everyone in society will have an equal opportunity to have a net worth of $10MM or even $1MM - because the only way to do that is outlaw inheritances. Think about it if you have the chance to double or triple or quadruple the wealth your parents had. Many, many people go far beyond those multiples. Generational progress is the key, and the people at the bottom (such as my grandpa) had to start the chain of climbing up. Those who start rich have always been better off - but that is less so in the United States in 2016 than it has ever been in any country at any point in time. Let that sink in.

NOW, let's review points from earlier. Is there a causation between race and poverty? No. Being black or red or brown does not make you poor. Being black or red or brown does not make it harder to get a job or move up in society. It just doesn't - lack of wealth does. This is the root cause that needs to be fought. You are actually given more accommodations & protections as a minority, and that is proven. Race is not at the root of being poor in 2016.

Poverty is the issue to fight here. What are the possible causes of poverty? Not all apply to each situation:
  • Lack of education (formal or informal)
  • Lack of economic opportunity in certain geographies
  • Lack of discipline/work ethic/patience (self-explanatory)
  • Misfortune (Natural disasters, just plain bad luck, etc.)
  • Victim of a crime (con men, pyramid schemes, theft, etc. - which I would say links back to education)

People need to stop treating this as a binary issue - it isn't one. The causes of poverty are what need to be targeted. Stop thinking about race and you'll be able to see the real issues. You aren't fixing the last two bullets, so stop trying to control for those. We put regulations in place and criminals either break them anyway or find ways around them.

Let's concentrate on the three bolded bullets. What can possibly cause these?
  • Misaligned curriculum & Lack of stress on financial/life skills education (how is it 2016 and a kid can graduate high school without knowing how interest works? or how a credit score works? Or how to save money/balance a savings account?) Someone in the lower class faces completely different financial decisions as someone who is in the upper class. That's just life. Whether it is an after-school program or built-in - kids need extra help as early as we can get it for them.
  • Lack of educational funds/disparity in educational funds from states - especially in states like Texas the sheer number of students in rural (higher cost to educate per student) or inner city (lower tax base and budget per student) schools is a daunting challenge. How do we fund (and measure progress in) formal public education evenly across the socio-economic ladder? No one has solved it yet, though I have a few ideas for another day.
  • Lack of qualified teachers - see lack of funds. If it was higher paying and less bureaucratic, more people would do it. But to meet the minimum state qualifications, it doesn't take a whole lot of extra brainpower - so although there is a lot of demand, there is also a ton of supply. We are talking about the bottom of the barrel teachers here, before folks get pissed off.
  • Lack of parental involvement - see numerous single parent family studies showing effects
  • Certain countries, states, cities have it much better off than others. There really isn't a way to solve this barrier - geography will always be a huge barrier. But the great thing about being alive in 2016 is if you are willing to strike out by yourself and escape your geography, it is easier than ever to do so. I flew from Houston to Dubai to Hong Kong for $700 last year. I've grabbed a flight on Southwest for $70 before. If you want to go somewhere new, you can do it for less than the cost of an ounce of weed.
  • Pop culture (self-explanatory) - no real way to fix it.
  • Some people will never have the drive. Laziness and instant gratification is pushed by our society. You can't make someone pull themselves up off the ground if they get punched in the face by life.

Start solving the root causes of the issues if you want to make a change. Not blabbing about race.
EVA3
AG
quote:
quote:
You are aware that race correlates with poverty and that there are historic reasons for this correlation?
To get back on track... This post is TLDR and probably only for Watson to read. But it is worth discussing.

In short - Yes. I am aware of that. No need to be a jackass. Jackass. I even stated as much in my post. There is definitely a correlation.

First and foremost, the difference between equal opportunity and equal outcomes has been pointed out several times to you. I think you should get it by now, and if not, there is nothing more to discuss here. Think of this in % terms. It is ridiculous to think that everyone in society will have an equal opportunity to have a net worth of $10MM or even $1MM - because the only way to do that is outlaw inheritances. Think about it if you have the chance to double or triple or quadruple the wealth your parents had. Many, many people go far beyond those multiples. Generational progress is the key, and the people at the bottom (such as my grandpa) had to start the chain of climbing up. Those who start rich have always been better off - but that is less so in the United States in 2016 than it has ever been in any country at any point in time. Let that sink in.

NOW, let's review points from earlier. Is there a causation between race and poverty? No. Being black or red or brown does not make you poor. Being black or red or brown does not make it harder to get a job or move up in society. It just doesn't - lack of wealth does. This is the root cause that needs to be fought. You are actually given more accommodations & protections as a minority, and that is proven. Race is not at the root of being poor in 2016.

Poverty is the issue to fight here. What are the possible causes of poverty? Not all apply to each situation:
  • Lack of education (formal or informal)
  • Lack of economic opportunity in certain geographies
  • Lack of discipline/work ethic/patience (self-explanatory)
  • Misfortune (Natural disasters, just plain bad luck, etc.)
  • Victim of a crime (con men, pyramid schemes, theft, etc. - which I would say links back to education)

People need to stop treating this as a binary issue - it isn't one. The causes of poverty are what need to be targeted. Stop thinking about race and you'll be able to see the real issues. You aren't fixing the last two bullets, so stop trying to control for those. We put regulations in place and criminals either break them anyway or find ways around them.

Let's concentrate on the three bolded bullets. What can possibly cause these?
  • Misaligned curriculum & Lack of stress on financial/life skills education (how is it 2016 and a kid can graduate high school without knowing how interest works? or how a credit score works? Or how to save money/balance a savings account?) Someone in the lower class faces completely different financial decisions as someone who is in the upper class. That's just life. Whether it is an after-school program or built-in - kids need extra help as early as we can get it for them.
  • Lack of educational funds/disparity in educational funds from states - especially in states like Texas the sheer number of students in rural (higher cost to educate per student) or inner city (lower tax base and budget per student) schools is a daunting challenge. How do we fund (and measure progress in) formal public education evenly across the socio-economic ladder? No one has solved it yet, though I have a few ideas for another day.
  • Lack of qualified teachers - see lack of funds. If it was higher paying and less bureaucratic, more people would do it. But to meet the minimum state qualifications, it doesn't take a whole lot of extra brainpower - so although there is a lot of demand, there is also a ton of supply. We are talking about the bottom of the barrel teachers here, before folks get pissed off.
  • Lack of parental involvement - see numerous single parent family studies showing effects
  • Certain countries, states, cities have it much better off than others. There really isn't a way to solve this barrier - geography will always be a huge barrier. But the great thing about being alive in 2016 is if you are willing to strike out by yourself and escape your geography, it is easier than ever to do so. I flew from Houston to Dubai to Hong Kong for $700 last year. I've grabbed a flight on Southwest for $70 before. If you want to go somewhere new, you can do it for less than the cost of an ounce of weed.
  • Pop culture (self-explanatory) - no real way to fix it.
  • Some people will never have the drive. Laziness and instant gratification is pushed by our society. You can't make someone pull themselves up off the ground if they get punched in the face by life.

Start solving the root causes of the issues if you want to make a change. Not blabbing about race.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Yeah, you didn't need to quote that entire post
EVA3
AG
It was a great post. Needed repeating.

Thanks, Internet police!

Now, post a wrestling .gif!
Geralt of Rivia
S
Geralt of Rivia
S
I meant to quote your whole post when I said my original response, also
EVA3
AG
quote:

EVA3
AG
quote:
I meant to quote your whole post when I said my original response, also
haircut
haircut
AG
The world needs more Buck Comptons.
62strat
AG
quote:
Well, I and a friend from high school both had similar grades, activities, and SAT scores. We both went to A&M. He's half Mexican and that's why he got twice the scholarship money I got. So I guess you're right. It was not "equal opportunity."
Geez.. it's a wonder you got in at all.
EVA3
AG
Maybe you should stick to guitar.
62strat
AG
quote:
Maybe you should stick to guitar.
I and a some of my friends play guitar regularly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.