Give me the lowdown on online dating...

50,951 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ShinerBlonde
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
who speaks five languages.
I bet he is a cunning linguist.
Gerald Tarrant
holy **** EFE
Kitten With A Whip
I lol'd at EFE's gif.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
quote:
quote:
who speaks five languages.
I bet he is a cunning linguist.

Three of them are romance languages.
bmc13
AG
oh hai kitty whip
SUPAGGIE
I met my size 00 girlfriend on OkCupid. It's free!

I met 0 people on Tinder. I met 3 people using Plenty of Fish for 1 year. I met 5 people using eHarmony for 1 year. I met about 15 people using match for 1 year.

But I'm a dude so if you are an attractive woman you can probably meet as many people as you want online. I tried online dating in CS once, but it sucked. You really have to be in a large city to have a large enough pool of people to choose from.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
oh hai kitty whip
LOL Hi BMC! I always love your little blushy face!
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
I met my size 00 girlfriend on OkCupid. It's free!

I met 0 people on Tinder. I met 3 people using Plenty of Fish for 1 year. I met 5 people using eHarmony for 1 year. I met about 15 people using match for 1 year.

But I'm a dude so if you are an attractive woman you can probably meet as many people as you want online. I tried online dating in CS once, but it sucked. You really have to be in a large city to have a large enough pool of people to choose from.
A friend of mine used EHarmony and liked it. I think I would appreciate having the ability to be a little more selective in who I communicate with than having 20 people messaging with "How YOU doing". lol

I can't imagine there would be a ton of single guys around my age on EH from this area, but dating someone within a couple hours of here is doable if he seems like a good match and we have some chemistry.
Sweet Clementine
AG
Serious answer: tried eHarmony on two separate occasions and never got anywhere. Met my husband on match.com about 3 weeks after signing up. It's a crap shoot and you have to put yourself out there and not be afraid of rejection.
Chazz03
AG
Goes to sign up for Eharmony.
SteadicaTm
AG
I am 9 for 9 on Tinder. One took a second date because she smoked weed and passed out on my couch. I tried it when I was in San Antonio last Christmas and didn't start getting matches until I left.

It is pretty easy. Ask a chain of questions and then ask them to the bar. If you get that far you are good to go.

And Tinder is for hooking up. Not dating.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
Serious answer: tried eHarmony on two separate occasions and never got anywhere. Met my husband on match.com about 3 weeks after signing up. It's a crap shoot and you have to put yourself out there and not be afraid of rejection.
Clem - How does match.com work? Is there a filtering process or can anyone just message you at any time?

Congrats on your love connection! Sounds like it has worked out nicely!
AMW2010
AG
I just read all for pages of these... I'm proud of myself... I find it hard that a women with normal or above normal looks has a problem finding a date... I think the problem is you just aren't putting yourself out there enough or in the right situations... Can't catch a fish if you never throw a line in the water kinda thing
G.I.Bro
Dating advice from rootbeer, about as reliable as texasrebel
AMW2010
AG
I still have no clue who you are, but thanks for following...
G.I.Bro
I'm you
AMW2010
AG
quote:
I'm you

Sweet Clementine
AG
You can set search filters on match and reach out to as many people as you like. I would frequently scroll through those that met my search criteria and send winks or messages. I got a lot of "Thanks but no thanks" back. Also my profile was pretty specific for what I wanted, but I still got messages from guys waaay outside the demographic. It's kind of a numbers game. But it can work, we're proof!
MonkeyKnifeFighter
reb,
AG
This is the first foray into an online dating service? Go ahead and sign up for a few of them (okcupid, plentyoffish, zoosk) because the whole point of online dating is querying as large a group as possible for what you are looking for. I guess I'd look at it as a sort of experiment and practice. You are going to have to fill out a bunch of forms asking you about you, your life, what you are looking for, etc, so it'll give you a chance to hone your message in a context where it matters zilch, so nothing to less. If you aren't totally hating it after a bit, then go ahead and plunk down the cash for a membership with one that costs.

Tangent: my esteemed colleague Mr. Falcon is correct about Tinder. If Tinder is a place just for shady hookups to transmit venereal disease, then Twitter is just a place for people to liveblog their poops. Put another way, their cheap characterization of these services is complete BS, and it's often a result of having minimal/zero actual experience with them...so they repeat what they hear like silly parrots. Disregard their nonsense, they don't even know they are dumb.

Personally, I suck at the digital services, and I've tried them all out. But, it was worth doing because I learned that these sorts of sites aren't really for me...I can't go out and "intend" to try and date, and come up with anything resembling success. The only good things I've found over the years are relationships that just sort of fall into my lap, and I jump on the opportunity. I guess that's a bit of a passive approach to dating, but I'm happy with it. I also really loathe filling out those stupid questionnaire forms asking me what my ideal first date is. Hate them. I also clearly suck at them. Even had a female friend write mine for me. I took a look at it and my stomach curled. The "put on a big happy face and pretend that life is absolutely perfect" dog-and-pony show is off-putting to me...but it's expected one act like that, even though its a fact that the reality of life not being perfect is going to inevitably come around. Cleaning oneself up to be presentable in public is one thing, a lack of authenticity is another. I can tell that going to start rambling along this line of thought so I'm going to stop.

Moving right along, my own anecdote aside, hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, get something real out of the effort, and it would frankly be dumb to not give online dating a chance. If finding a partner is a priority in your life (and it usually is in everyone's life), then due diligence sort of demands one look under that rock to see whats there.

TL;DR: The low-down is that you should go for it so you can experience it for yourself, a ton of people find really good relationships because they took the chance on online dating, so its at least worth a try. Use a burner email of course, and, if possible, a burner phone number if ya got one. Set them to auto-forward to your real accounts, and try not to end up in a bathtub full of ice and missing a kidney.

Have fun out there

Kitten With A Whip
quote:
I imagine a lot of women see a lot of "ayyy baby wan sum? hmu"

And it probably works for some of those. If they're hot and that's what you're after (easy no strings flings).

Women have the opportunity to be way more selective. in turn, this makes guys more selective. Like, when I tried online dating, I didn't even get rejected by a lot of women. I got flat out ignored. Do you realize how much money that saved me (in gas alone!) to get ignored while sitting at home instead of driving all over town?
Holy carp! I don't know how I missed this earlier, but literally made me spit water!
AggieDarlin
AG
Did you just call Falcon dumb?
G.I.Bro
I took if that reb was agreeing with falcon
AggieDarlin
AG
Thank you, I re-read it and I see where I made the switch
G.I.Bro
Thats what I'm here for
TheMasterplan
Some people need to show some humility about subjects they know absolutely nothing about it.

I have met a very nice girl off Tinder that I wanted to do more than just hook up with. We still keep in contact. One of my good friend's gf met over Tinder and they have a very good relationship.

Met another I wanted to just hook up with but she wanted more from more.

Met others I couldn't care less about.

Met a taiwanese girl off another app.

Like it or not online dating is still real life. And like most things, you get what you put into it. Most guys will use Tinder and the like for hook ups but maybe they meet a girl they really want to do more than just hook up with.

B-1 83
AG
Our Time.com FTW!!! Wait......never mind.
Ryan34
AG
My brother has used tinder and seems to like it. Has at least one or two that he still goes on regular dates with.
GarryowenAg
AG
One of my coworkers found his girlfriend through tinder.
HBCanine08
AG
A/S/L??
swimmerbabe11
Haven't you already tried this route before?
Dr. Faustus
AG
10 pages, easily.

Geralt of Rivia
S
Looks like I missed out on last night's e-humping thread
BlackGold
AG
Bumble or gtfo
eeinhouston
If you are looking for a woman who hates to laugh, then don't bother with on-line dating. 100% of women's on-line dating profiles include "Love to laugh". It never occurred to me that people love laughing rather than hate laughing. Learn something knew every day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.