Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

270,033 Views | 1894 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by jagvocate
Aggiemike96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're looking for a set of popular silver bullion coins to get started, I have a 5-pack consisting of one each 2023 ASE, 2023 Brit (Queen), 2023 Philharmonic, 2023 Krugerrand, and 2023 Kangaroo.
maddiedou
AG
26 for buffalo

27 for others

I have plenty
SeenNotHeard
AG
Where are you located?
redsquirrelAG
AG
+1...

I'm interested too Maddie
AggieRob93
AG
Interested as well.

Username at gmail.
maddiedou
AG
South college station.

979- eight two o l87o. Gary
topher06
Imagine those prices should be revised a bit
Esteban du Plantier
AG
maddiedou said:

26 for buffalo

27 for others

I have plenty

I buy lots of 'others', but only the interesting stuff like the various wildlife coins or limited mintage. I have enough maples and krugerrands.

Do you have anything interesting?
maddiedou
AG
I dont and I think 40 are gone so I will post what is left if they buy the 40 on monday
ChiefKiefton
Great deal on 10oz RCM bars!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301679092405
topher06
NM too much of a PIA
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Gold over $2,000 / ounce
jagvocate
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Gold over $2,000 / ounce

One shining moment
jagvocate
AG
Silver waking up
AgEng06
AG
glanmit said:

RightWingConspirator said:

Apmex is who I use.
Me too
Nice reply to a 2+ year old post... rookie.
Bocephus
AG
glanmit said:

Apmex is who I use.
Me too

I use the mint in shiner. Might as well help and Aggie out
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
AgEng06
AG
glanmit said:

Apmex is who I use.
Me too
This is a bot, by the way. Every post they have made is either recommending a product or company, or includes a link to a product or company.
CS78
Bird Poo
AG
Picard
AG
The precious metals market has gone nuts this month. SDBullion posted this letter today on their website:

March 29, 2023

A Historic Quarter for SD Bullion and Current Business Update
Thanks to our amazing customers and partners, SD Bullion has seen significant growth throughout the entire Q1 of 2023. In what was a steady market, we offered best in market value via competitive premiums as buyers were less active than usual. Our customers responded overwhelmingly, clearly supporting the decision to reduce premiums where we were able to do so. The leadership of this company invests in precious metals personally, so we understand the value of affordable physical.
As we have grown, we have continued to hire as many people as possible to join our team and service the business. While we've been successful in some ways, we admit that what we have done has not been enough to prepare for what occurred in early March.
On March 10th, we all woke up to the news of the Silicon Valley Bank collapse; which sent a ripple effect through investors worldwide. There has been and continues to be a massive influx of demand as savvy investors are now evaluating counterparties, including banks, in a more scrutinizing fashion. The takeaways from the banking collapses have been clear: you don't own what you don't hold. As a company, we went from "extremely busy, but keeping up" to "all hands on deck" overnight. Orders came in waves, and the amount of metal per order more than doubled. The bottom line is bigger orders take longer to ship than smaller orders.
This perfect storm has created very difficult challenges in the short term at SD Bullion, both internally (our phone queues flooded with calls that there simply aren't enough man hours to answer) and externally (customers are experiencing delays outside of our normal shipping time frames as we endeavor to push out every order possible daily).
We have been aggressively hiring since mid-February and we continue to do so. We've raised wages, offered higher signing and referral bonuses, and restructured teams to maximize available support to shipping and phone teams. Everyone at SD Bullion, top to bottom, has been diligently working to get us out of this hole. In short: it has simply not been enough and we continue to under-deliver in ways that we won't accept.
To our customers, we hear your frustration with the delayed shipments. We share that frustration and will not slow down until it's remedied in full and we have scalable solutions in place to prevent it from happening again. There's a lot we've learned from this experience. We are the fastest growing bullion dealer in the world; we thank our customers as they are responsible for that growth. As a company, we're pushing through growing pains and we will continue to improve in every way that matters to our customers.

Where Do We Stand Today?
As we write this we are currently 7+ business days behind our normal shipping time (which is 1-3 business days after your payment clears our account). For the time being, we're pausing additional planned promotional ("On-Sale") activities while we focus all attention on servicing existing orders in the system. Also, we're temporarily raising the minimum order total required for new orders to $500.00 USD. This will allow us to better deliver on all orders and reach operational efficiencies faster.
We plan to post an update here weekly until we get back to the standard service and shipping experience our customers have come to enjoy for more than 10 years now.
Thank you to everyone's support and patience with us. If you've placed an order with us; you will receive it in full, it just might take a few extra days for us to get it out the door. For that, we deeply apologize for it taking longer than it should.

Sincerely,
SD Bullion Executive Team

https://sdbullion.com/updates
I bleed maroon
AG
I have some silver and gold one ounce coins that I had accumulated over the years, and wanted to see if there are good rules of thumb for price premium over spot prices from online or in person brokers. I realize this might shift over time depending on market conditions, but what does it realistically look like in today's world? For instance:

Example for Silver (I think I have Maple Leafs and Silver Eagles, maybe some buffalo?): spot price + 12-15% - or - spot price + $2.50-3.00 per coin?

Same scenario for gold (gold eagles and kreugerrand?)

I haven't really followed the market for a while, and I wanted to get a feel for what I should sell for to a local buyer. I'm thinking a slight discount to the broker rates (i.e. I keep 75-80% of the premium, and give the buyer 20-25% of it?).

Thoughts?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I would pay you at least spot price depending on what you have. Personally I would think that something around what the big sites like SD Bullion would pay you would be fair.
maddiedou
AG
Would SD Bullion not be paying 19/20 for bullion and a little bit more for silver eagles

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
maddiedou said:

Would SD Bullion not be paying 19/20 for bullion and a little bit more for silver eagles

https://sdbullion.com/sell

For sovereign coins, they are offering spot plus a few dollars depending on vintage and country of origin.
maddiedou
RightWingConspirator
AG
Who's the bot? Me or gianmit?

I learn new things every day, but this would be a first for me.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Slowly returning to this board. I took a few years off from participating in anything on this board, and, quite frankly, even looking at my portfolio. The last few years have been depressing. My accounts were down about $500M so I decided to stay the course of buy and hold and not participate in any investment related discussions that might shake my strategy confidence. That written, for those who are into physical gold and silver, when I was holding physical gold, I insured my guns and my gold through Collectibles Insurance. I can't speak to how they respond to any claims, because I've not needed to make a claim, but their rates seem very reasonable for the amount of gold and guns I insured.

Kicking around the idea of picking up a position in gold again.
jagvocate
AG
Silver awake
maddiedou
AG

Slowly returning to this board. I took a few years off from participating in anything on this board, and, quite frankly, even looking at my portfolio. The last few years have been depressing. My accounts were down about $500M so I decided to stay the course of buy and hold and not participate in any investment related discussions that might shake my strategy confidence. That written, for those who are into physical gold and silver, when I was holding physical gold, I insured my guns and my gold through Collectibles Insurance. I can't speak to how they respond to any claims, because I've not needed to make a claim, but their rates seem very reasonable for the amount of gold and guns I insured.

Kicking around the idea of picking up a position in gold again.

Am I reading this right you are down 500 million from your investment

Now I will say I am slow at comprehending english so maybe that is not what you meant
maddiedou
AG
jagvocate said:

Silver awake

I saw that this morning and was wondering where your post was
RightWingConspirator
AG
$500 million would be $500MM. I'm down $500M, or $500 thousand.
AgEng06
AG

Who's the bot? Me or gianmit?

I learn new things every day, but this would be a first for me.

You think I was referring to you, the account with an AgTag and Legend status, or the one I quoted that has since been deleted from the thread?
RightWingConspirator
AG
Fair point!
maddiedou
AG

$500 million would be $500MM. I'm down $500M, or $500 thousand.

That is still alot You should have sold me that 40 and you could have invested that 600 also

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.