Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

270,024 Views | 1894 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by jagvocate
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
True story…….I paid off my disabled parents' mortgage when I was thirteen. I put every cent I could earn in 90% silver when it was 3 times face and sold it all when it zoomed to 30 times face. Granted my parents' mortgage was only $10,000……..but that was a lot of money in 1979/80 for a poor kid. Also bought some gold the year that private ownership was legalized.
topher06
A full room seems a bit excessive to qualify as a material amount of money.
jagvocate
AG
"At $18/ounce you'd practically have to fill a room with 1 oz coins to have any material amount of money invested"

aka 'Tell me you haven't bought physical in the last few years without saying it ...'

Physical premia have disconnected from the spot price; it's virtually two different markets now and the disparities will only accelerate as people wake up to their dying dollar.

ChiefKiefton
jagvocate said:

"At $18/ounce you'd practically have to fill a room with 1 oz coins to have any material amount of money invested"

aka 'Tell me you haven't bought physical in the last few years without saying it ...'

Physical premia have disconnected from the spot price; it's virtually two different markets now and the disparities will only accelerate as people wake up to their dying dollar.
Facts. Hell, Silver eagles have over a 100% premium right now.
jagvocate
AG
Crypto disappearing. Precious metals check: still in the vault.

Buck Turgidson
ChiefKiefton said:

jagvocate said:

Facts. Hell, Silver eagles have over a 100% premium right now.
Obviously I was using hyperbole, and I only recently started looking at silver coins for the reason previously mentioned. I have to admit I was amazed at how obscene the premiums on many silver coins are. I'm not clear how spot is calculated or why it is a relevant benchmark if you cannot buy silver anywhere near spot.
Buck Turgidson
BTW, do any of you have any intel on why gold spiked up recently? I bought some when spot was at $1,629 a couple weeks ago and it's jumped up rather sharply to about $1,750 as I type this. At first I though this was due to election uncertainties but the election is past and gold is still climbing. I wanted to buy more.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Economy numbers. Rate was raised and layoffs coming.

I've heard zero US dollars being bought internationally. Flip coming.
ac04
DXY just had its worst day since 2009
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
ac04 said:

DXY just had its worst day since 2009

And just two years later, in 2011, silver hit its all time high at just under $50 per ounce.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
AG
Well i suck but it is definetly an art mold was to cold silver lost it melt value immediately

Temp was at 1780 but coola quickly but I will try again

This was 4 steeling silver forks
jagvocate
AG
Respect the hustle, can always remelt I guess :-)

maddiedou
AG
Yep gonna do that today probably I have to may go by a torxh to heat up mold before pouring
jagvocate
AG
I see folks on YouTube torch-hearing their molds

Esteban du Plantier
AG
maddiedou said:

Well i suck but it is definetly an art mold was to cold silver lost it melt value immediately

Temp was at 1780 but coola quickly but I will try again

This was 4 steeling silver forks

Heat that mold for a while then get the silver really loose, should swirl as a button really easily.

I haven't cast any in a while, but I've cast sterling, shot, etc. Lots of fun.

Here's a nice one with good ripples.
maddiedou
AG
How do you make it shine
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I soak in 10% sulfuric for a while, it'll remove any flux or any nasty stuff. It'll generally come out very shiny.

Sometimes sterling will come out a bit more frosted looking, but you could polish with rouge or something to get it mirror polished.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Here's sterling right out of the mold with no polish.
jagvocate
AG
A goldbug's analysis of FTX, crypto failures, and what's in store for pension and insurance companies because of interest rates

https://www.myrmikan.com/pub/Myrmikan_Research_2022_11_15.pdf

Post removed:
by user
jagvocate
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Are any of you guys buying individual mining stocks? I was keying on certain companies for awhile, but decided to go with less risk and have since diverted into ETFs like GDX and SIL.
I own SAND, AUY, GOLD, NEM, and Oceana Gold in Australia on the gold side. For silver, it's Fortuna, SIlvercrest, SSR Mining, and Silvercorp. It's been a rough year for pm stocks but a tradable bottom likely went in late summer.

jagvocate
AG
I hope y'all have bought some ... every time this thread gets quiet turns out to be a decent buying op

Ted Lasso
AG
jagvocate said:

I hope y'all have bought some ... every time this thread gets quiet turns out to be a decent buying op

Added some of the $1.99 over spot 9fine bars yesterday during Black Friday special. I think they'll do the same for cyber Monday.
LatinAggie1997
AG
NM
topher06
Anyone adding today? Spot up, but premiums slashed. I may add a gold coin (and probably lose it somewhere immediately, probably in a lake or an ocean).
jagvocate
AG
I got a Valcambi 1kg Ag this a.m.

Outdoorag011
Thinking about adding a 50 oz bar from First Majestic silver today.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Outdoorag011
Done and done. I'll post a pic when it comes in.
XpressAg09
AG
Out of curiosity, are these exchanges/websites personal preference? As in, they have different designs for their bars or are they truly orders of magnitude cheaper, and that's why folks choose them?

I feel like I've seen a few different names passed around and surely if there was a definitively cheaper site, folks would buy from them...so is it preference at this point?
Outdoorag011
It is a mixture of both. I like the poured look and will pay a little more for it. I could have gotten a bar a little cheaper at one of the other online sites but I also think it is important to support the miners. First majestic is a mining company/great company. I'm getting the bar from the source.

Also some bars and coins hold value better compared to others. When you go to sell back to an individual or dealer, they will pay more for certain products. I'm to the point in my stacking journey that I only buy things I like and will have good resale value.
techno-ag
AG
XpressAg09 said:

Out of curiosity, are these exchanges/websites personal preference? As in, they have different designs for their bars or are they truly orders of magnitude cheaper, and that's why folks choose them?

I feel like I've seen a few different names passed around and surely if there was a definitively cheaper site, folks would buy from them...so is it preference at this point?
I buy collectibles from the Brits and TexMetals mostly. They make great gifts. The Brits have been celebrating their literature so book lovers can get coins with Winnie the Pooh, Harry Potter, etc. TexMetals makes rounds commemorating battles in the war for independence. Free shipping from Shiner is a big plus.
XpressAg09
AG
I googled "Brits gold and silver" and nothing blatantly obvious jumped out. Got a link?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I think he's taking about the Royal Mint.

As another datapoint for future stackers, I started in 2020 buying American Silver Eagles but as premiums rose I moved to Canadian Maple Leafs, and now I'm focusing on kilogram bars.
techno-ag
AG
Here you go. $12.50 shipping my last order, which isn't too bad I thought.

https://www.royalmint.com/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.