Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

263,331 Views | 1859 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
Post removed:
by user
Aggiemike96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, I didn't order anything. Spot up a $1.00 so far today, so missed the dip.
Post removed:
by user
HECUBUS
AG
Both kids US Mint Morgan P and O, Peace and American Eagle silver dollars. That's all I could get. It was not easy scoring uncirculated silver dollars from the mint this year. I was lucky to get those four.

It would cost more than twice what we paid to purchase those today.

Edit: The value of these burnished uncirculated silver dollars typically shoots up early and then levels off. The $29 2006 (first burnished uncirculated) shot up to $150 and then leveled off around $50. I'm not sure how the Peace and Morgan silver dollar values will go. This seems to be a one time centennial offering with only proofs available next year. It's fun to keep an eye on mint offerings for small gifts. We only get the burnished uncirculated coins for stocking stuffers. We did get one proof in 2010 after there were no burnished minted in 2009 and 2010. It would not be worth the effort for an investment. They sell out in minutes, you get a small warning window of the sale time, and the limit is three per household. They cost much more than bullion, which is where their value trends. It sure is fun though.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Outdoorag011
Good looking out. I expect we will see some crazy things happen in 2022 for precious metals.
Post removed:
by user
pdtnation
AG
So I impulse bought the 2021 Peace and Morgan silver dollars from the mint this year. I'm normally more of a bullion guy and don't buy collectibles. I don't really necessarily want to hold these long term. Would it be best to go ahead and sell these now on eBay/etc or is there a stronger possibility for better long term appreciation?
maddiedou
AG
From his post sure looks like it and just put a price on ebay if that is how it works and see what happens
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
Post removed:
by user
Hungry Ojos
Based on this board's advice, I bought 200 American Eagle silver ounce coins from Monument Metals back in June for a total of $7848.

It looks like today, they are worth $4590 (spot x 200).

I also bought five silver kilo bars for a total of $5,036.30.

It looks like today, they're worth $3,689.20.

I'd be VERY wary of the silver optimism on this board…

And more importantly, it may be smart to somewhat understand what you're doing before you dump over $12k on something you know nothing about.
Ted Lasso
AG
It's a long term asset. If you bought silver in hopes of quick $ you were misinformed. Dollar cost average over time, keep in safe, pass on to future generations. That's where the wealth of gold and silver comes from.
maddiedou
AG
Hungry. You want win that argument no matter how much data you give. Everybody will say it is not a get rich but a long term investment or passing it down

Silver /gold is a risky investment and I have posted many times but my post will be negated just like your evidence

I am sorry for your loss but hopefully it will come back to the price you bought the silver eagles
Post removed:
by user
DavysApprentice
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Based on this board's advice, I bought 200 American Eagle silver ounce coins from Monument Metals back in June for a total of $7848.

It looks like today, they are worth $4590 (spot x 200).
Sooo, I'm looking through this thread at posts made in June to see if folks were giving advice to blow their load all at once on some Eagles and I'm coming up emptyyyy.

Plus, I find it odd that you bring up the total amount you paid for these Eagles, which included a premium, but then you go on to say that they are only worth spot price with no premium attached. I mean, at least be honest about real pricing before you come in here bashing this thread over it. Monument Metals is selling Eagles for $32 a pop as I type this, which would be $6400, not $4590.
Quote:

I'd be VERY wary of the silver optimism on this board…

And more importantly, it may be smart to somewhat understand what you're doing before you dump over $12k on something you know nothing about.

Nobody has been telling folks to buy things all at once on this board. I know that I've personally said and I'm sure others have as well that is best to do small purchases over time.

I've been buying Silver throughout the fluctuations in spot and I'm ahead on many of the things that I purchased when spot was even higher. I was buying Junk Silver for 18X face value when spot was in the $24 range. Fast forward to today and you cannot find Junk Silver for less than 20X face value, even with a lower spot price.

Also I think a lot of people like myself do not look at metals as a way to grow wealth at all…

I buy a little silver every month and store it in the safe as a way to diversify the instruments that store money. I also buy a little crypto every month for the same reason. I don't think anyone actually thinks they will get rich quick off silver and gold
Mas89
AG
Google is your friend. Silver American eagle are selling way over spot. Cheapest I see advertised is 31.50 in a 500 count monster box. But I'll buy yours for spot if you are ready to sell. With the current rate of monthly inflation and devaluation of our dollar, you or your heirs may be real happy to have the silver someday. Problem is, nobody really knows for sure. So you are holding a hedge or insurance against hyper inflation/ devaluation. HTH
Hungry Ojos
Let me rephrase that. I am CERTAINLY not trying to pass the blame off on anyone else. The board's optimism is VERY alluring, but no one said "go buy this and that". Ultimately, this was my fault for getting into something without knowing anything about it.

Still though, I'm not sure how silver could ever be attractive given performances like this…

Edit to add: and look at chiefkiefton's reply on the top of page four. Rendered Fat was me in a different life…
Post removed:
by user
Outdoorag011
You sure do frequent this board a lot for someone who seems they don't like precious metals. Precious metals are not and will never be an investment. It is a preservation of wealth. It can go down in price but never to 0. Precious metals are risky compared to what?
Post removed:
by user
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
FAT SEXY said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Still though, I'm not sure how silver could ever be attractive given performances like this…
Silver is a long hold. When in doubt, zoom out...

Let's go just by spot price and look at some long term numbers for grins. If you had put $10k into Silver in September of 2000, it'd be worth about $47k today (4.7X increase)

In that same time period the S&P 500 has went up 3.18X (before any dividends at what not)

You could sell that Silver privately without paying a capital gains tax, you could not do that with your S&P stock.
Each year I put together a financial statement to close the year and I footnote some items like, DJIA, Gold, Silver, etc. Here's some history prior to "September of 2000". All public domain data.

And, if you put money in...
....Silver in 1979 at $27.85, it went down MOST years all the way to 1999 at $5.33. 21 years total, but from 1984 to 1999 the range was $6.70 to $3.67, again at the close of each year.

....Gold in 1979 at $512.00, it was range bound MOST years from 1981 at $397.50 to 1999 at $290.25. 21 years total, again price at the close of each year.

....DJIA in 1979 was 838.39 and ended 1999 at 11,497.12. Out of 21 years, only 3 years finished lower than a previous year. 18 years of gains.

Regarding taxes, you have to make money before you can pay taxes. Selling an investment privately for cash sounds great - no tax. Metals purchased over time to protect your wealth as a "hedge" sounds good too. In hard times, there's not a lot of free cash ready to buy the gold and silver. If you need to sell your precious metal in hard times, people that have the cash in those "hard times" take full advantage of the situation and discount heavily, but it won't be taxed, I got it.

Hard Times: Be very careful with precious metals as a "hedge". One example of many, would you rather have a single $100 dollar bill or one hundred $1 dollar bills after a hurricane rips through your county? No body can make change.. Gold and silver are hard to spend or to trade fairly. Credit cards,...there's no electricity for a scanner to work. Just a heads-up.

If it has to be metals,....in "hard times" your best metal hedge is a little bit of poor man's precious metals - brass & lead.

Full transparency, I own gold and silver in jewelry form only.

Rhetorically speaking. there is no right answer. Hopefully, whatever your plan is it will end up working for you when it is needed the most.

maddiedou
AG
I do not come here for advice that is for sure and my damn blue reminder goes off and I come to this thread

Why does that make you mad because I disagree with you and my remark was accurate hell just look at the posts above
about people defending their posts and basically making hungry defend his statement

I do not want to go back and read thru all the posts but there was alot of buy silver now it can only go up and I even responded then and got lambasted

I am a coin collector and I even posted then that a ms 65 morgan dollar in 1965 was worth 8-10 dollars and today it can be worth 50-70 dollars So 55 years later I would have made 60 bucks. Terrible investment but I like and enjoy the one hobby besides garden

I have lost more than hungry in just paying/buying coins like a 1200 morgan and it coming back cleaned worth 100 maybe

And no outdoor not looking for a internet fight but I absolutely knew it was coming

So I will bow out of the silver thread and quit posting and in 6 months it will quit blue reminder
Outdoorag011
It doesn't make me mad. Hungry is having to defend his statement because the numbers don't add up. I don't care that people disagree with me on precious metals because 99.99% of people disagree with me and own 0 precious metals. Most people couldn't careless about gold or silver… which is fine. What makes me mad is people come on this board/other precious metal boards that have been created bashing gold or silver when they know absolutely 0 about the topic. You obviously know about precious metals. You and I probably agree on most things. But I have been very very clear on this board. Precious metals have been and will always be a long term hold. It is not a way to make money. I have told people that my own personal opinion that everyone should have 1-5% of their portfolio in precious metals. I am a huge believer in silver. But because it is a long term play, I also have a 401k, IRA and real estate. The people that are pumping precious metals and want people to have 20-50% of your portfolio in metals are complete idiots and I called them idiots on this very board.

Stock market bros love to bash precious metals and compare it to the stock market. You simply cannot compare the two. One asset benefits from manipulation and the other doesn't. It is no secret that the stock market has greatly increased over the last decade. Some of that has to do with quantitative easing propping up assets such as stocks. Obviously my 401k and IRA doesn't mind the manipulation since it has increased significantly. Silver gets crushed by manipulation and is the single biggest short position on earth. Part of what I'm doing is playing the odds. They cannot short silver forever. When that day comes, I will be glad I bought silver. I believe that day is approaching. But I could be 1000% wrong. And if I am…. I have money in other things.

I have "lost" money on silver as well. My first purchase were in 2011-2012 when silver was 30+ an oz. On those specific coins and bars I'm still down on. I would sell at a loss right now if I sold. But in the same breathe, I also bought a crap ton of silver at $14-$15. Some of it generic but some of it collector stuff. I've actually sold off some of my nicer coins like harder to find years for libertads in the last year for $48 an oz. I bought them at $17. All I'm saying is to dollar cost average just like everything else.
Ted Lasso
AG
maddiedou said:

I do not come here for advice that is for sure and my damn blue reminder goes off and I come to this thread

Why does that make you mad because I disagree with you and my remark was accurate hell just look at the posts above
about people defending their posts and basically making hungry defend his statement

I do not want to go back and read thru all the posts but there was alot of buy silver now it can only go up and I even responded then and got lambasted

I am a coin collector and I even posted then that a ms 65 morgan dollar in 1965 was worth 8-10 dollars and today it can be worth 50-70 dollars So 55 years later I would have made 60 bucks. Terrible investment but I like and enjoy the one hobby besides garden

I have lost more than hungry in just paying/buying coins like a 1200 morgan and it coming back cleaned worth 100 maybe

And no outdoor not looking for a internet fight but I absolutely knew it was coming

So I will bow out of the silver thread and quit posting and in 6 months it will quit blue reminder

how in the world do you spend 1200 on a morgan and not check it for a past clean?! my god
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
Well crap history you brought me back freaking in

Only one of these coins has been cleaned. Tell me which one and if you need to see up close I can bring to you

And no the morgan I am talking about is not in this group

FAT SEXY said:

I typically don't like to compare Precious Metals to stocks.. I only used that example because it is a recent gauge against something that a lot of people invest in and to highlight how silly it is to come to conclusions on performance based off of 6 month price fluctuations. Trying to flip metal quickly is a fools errand.

While it is worth noting performance in the 70's and 80's, it might as well be ancient history now. I wasn't even alive then. I'm just looking at numbers since around the time that I entered the work force. Silver and especially Gold have beaten the S&P 500 since 2000. This is really impressive when you factor in the cocaine(also known as QE) that the Fed pumps into the markets to keep them going. It's also impressive because we know that their prices are suppressed in the paper markets.

Silver and Gold will hold value throughout time and in every economic system. 500 years from now when the DJIA is just a subject in a history book, Gold and Silver will still be worth something. A lot of us view them as a risk off avenue of wealth preservation because of this. I don't look at them as an investment. I also don't put all of my eggs in one basket.

You talking about selling in hard times doesn't really make a valid point to me. Trying to sell anything in hard times will be more difficult, so why use it to try and make a point about PMs?

Buying/Selling Gold and Silver isn't for everyone. You have to have strategy and knowledge on where to buy and where to sell to get the most value.

Him just chunking $12k down all at once when premiums were at all time highs and then getting mad about it when prices come back down kinda just makes me laugh. He made a bad move and then wants to cast blame on this thread for it.

Trying to flip metal quickly is a fools errand. ~ Retail customers doing this is a losing proposition.

While it is worth noting performance in the 70's and 80's, it might as well be ancient history now. I wasn't even alive then. ~ Okay, but I was alive back then. The reverse of classifying a period as ancient history is akin to cherry picking a time period, no? I just look at the entire picture, only because if one is going to state Silver and Gold will hold value throughout time and in every economic system, there is no period of irrelevance, whether it be ancient or current.

Silver and Gold will hold value throughout time and in every economic system. ~ Fire making equipment, weapons, food, animals, spices, dyes, did too.

You talking about selling in hard times doesn't really make a valid point to me. Trying to sell anything in hard times will be more difficult, so why use it to try and make a point about PMs? Of course, because precious metals discussion(all media platforms) escalates at a steeper and faster pace when topics of rising interest rates, inflation and recession are abound in the economy, or someone pushing a narrative about hard economic times appear to be coming.. I spent 4 years in the metals & gemstones industry(buying & selling) and 10 years prior to that as a coin collector. I'm not a "metals guru extraordinaire" pushing a message to sell my goods, but I'm fairly versed in the subject matter.

Him just chunking $12k down all at once when premiums were at all time highs and then getting mad about it when prices come back down kinda just makes me laugh. He made a bad move and then wants to cast blame on this thread for it. ~ I skipped over that discussion. Caveat Emptor and Caveat Venditor.

Sounds like you have a system/plan that works for you and that's good. Many people enter into this metals marketplace justifying a purchase as a hedge to their portfolio. Really, all these folks want to do is hold a gold coin or silver coin in their hand and leave to a loved one. There's nothing wrong with that.
I'm going with the 1928 Peace Dollar that was cleaned.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.