Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

204,819 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by HarleySpoon
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
said:

Who knew the C-17 could perform a low ******! I believe this is Dale "Snort" Snodgrass performing a low transition in the Tomcat. He was killed this weekend in a plane crash in Idaho. Look up his flying career, pretty impressive.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JB!98
AG

Damn it. Here is the F-14 low transition flown by Snort.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JB!98
AG

May not be the place for this, but here is Snodgrass doing work in an F-14B with an F-7F Tigercat in '96.
Aggiemike96
AG
OK, I'm jumping in on this tread! I have not started my PPL process yet. Well, perhaps I have, as I've completed the FAA paperwork for my Class 3 medical exam, still need to schedule the exam. Anyway...

I'm beginning to investigate flight schools and instructors. I live in the Galleria area of Houston, but work in Albuquerque about 25 weeks out of the year (back-and-forth weekly). I rack-up a metric s**t ton of Southwest credits flying HOU-ABQ. For my PPL, my mission is NOT to replace Southwest as they're just too efficient in a 737 versus any aircraft in my (private) price range for that distance.

Question #1 - Can my flight training be accomplished at two different airports in two different states? Obviously, I spend a ton of time at HOU and ABQ. Would be great to land at HOU (or ABQ), grab a bite in the airport, then head to my CFI for training/hours. Is this feasible? I recognize the importance of 2-3 training flights per week, and would be awesome to knock these out while already at the airport.

Question #2 - How far into your flight training did you begin to investigate the purchase of your own aircraft? I've read this thread, and watched tons of YouTube videos (including the ATCs that fly the "twin Cessna" with the Mrs. having quite the looks). Say the budget was $100,000-$150,000, what aircrafts are on your list to investigate? As mentioned, I live in Houston primarily now, but I see that changing to ABQ as the kids get older. Future trips to Texas from ABQ may be more frequent. Four seater is good enough based on my expectations now.

FYI - There's a guy in Addison on YouTube, believe he's "Airplane Academy" that has some useful videos.

Edit: I pay 100% for my Southwest flights as they are not reimbursable by my employer (if that matters).
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't see why you couldn't train in two places. The problem is that it will probably take longer. The Houston guy isn't necessarily going to take the ABQ guy's word on your proficiency. An instructor might sign you off to solo after 10 hours, but I doubt he would sign you off after 5 hours under someone else followed by 5 hours under him.

It will probably work better for the latter part of your training, where you are doing more solo work.

Regardless, it will be a great lesson in the difference between an airport at 50' MSL, and one at over 5000' MSL.

And, you can always go over to Moriarity, NM, and pick up your glider license. Great sailplane operation there.
Aggiemike96
AG
Very helpful, thank you for your comments!

I'm leaning towards focusing the primary flight school in ABQ because I have a few days there during the weeks that I have limited work (long story on the work...). You're suggesting it may be possible to accomplish the dual flight time in ABQ and the solo in Houston?

You make a good point on the MSL differences! I know you know, but for others' benefit, ABQ Sunport is also an active Air Force base. There's a flight school on the outskirts of ABQ and I've flight-tracked their trainer aircraft from KAEG to KABQ, presumably to practice a tower-controlled airport. KABQ is not nearly as busy as Hobby or Bush...thank goodness!

Edit: The weather difference is crazy too between Houston and Albuquerque. ABQ averages 350 days of sunny weather a year. However, it's always windy there!
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm saying that once you're up to your solo work, then which airport you're at makes zero difference. HOWEVER, no one is going to lease you a plane until they've done enough dual with you to turn you loose.

That's where I say you will take longer, as instructors are likely going to repeat your instruction, rather than take someone else's word for it.

I've been on base at Kirkland, which is the shared base with ABQ airport. Have gotten a temporary pass while wife does Sandia Lab stuff.

Come to the travel board if you want ABQ recs, but if you are interested in aviation, National Nuclear Museum is a must see. B-29, B-47, B-52, A-7, F-16, tons of missiles and rockets
Jetpilot86
AG
Other than money, should not be an issue. As mentioned, each FBO will want to be satisfied of your ability as a student pilot to satisfy their insurance requirements. You will run across similar issues meeting qualifications after you have a license. Insurance drives a lot in this hobby now.
Dallasag517
AG
I just qualified to fly a Bonanza F33 and the Cessna 182 at my flying club I joined. I'm pretty excited for the Fall. I have a plane reserved for the Mizzou and LSU game weekends. I'm going to fly a little here and there to keep fresh until the weather gets a little better.

I'm very happy the OP started a flying thread!
Dallasag517
AG
I joined RFC. There's no waiting list now if you're still interested.
Dallasag517
AG
Where are you based? I am in Dallas and this thread has me thinking if whether we could pull together a coalition of the willing to have a fly-in somewhere.
84HartAg
AG
Selling my 1973 Cessna 150. Just over 2500 TT, just over 600 TSMOH. Asking $33,000. Garmin SL40 Com radio, Garmin GTX 320 transponder, Garmin area 500 GPS, 2 place intercom, PM me if interested.
Quixote Ag
AG
Moving to Georgetown in a few months. Anybody know of a flying club or partnership in the area?
Wilson, Jackie, RC, Fran, Sherm, Sumlin, Jimbo and now Elko...some of these things are not like the others...
07ag
AG
Anyone know of a light sport for rent in houston area, preferably sw houston area? Anson at SGR used to have a Skycatcher, but looks like thats gone
https://ts.la/eric59704
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Anyone know of a light sport for rent in houston area, preferably sw houston area? Anson at SGR used to have a Skycatcher, but looks like thats gone
I think Cessna wanted to Skycatcher to disappear so that is what you are seeing.

If I were looking for something like a light sport I would break down and go ahead and find a Cessna 150/152 to rent. It's pretty close to an LSA and a proven commodity.

07ag
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Quote:

I think Cessna wanted to Skycatcher to disappear so that is what you are seeing.

If I were looking for something like a light sport I would break down and go ahead and find a Cessna 150/152 to rent. It's pretty close to an LSA and a proven commodity.

i only have a sport pilot cert, so the 150/152 are too heavy. could probably get basicmed and my private, but was hoping to avoid all that hassle/expanse.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I attempted to look up LSA specific flight schools through AOPA and the three selections that came up looked like they didn't have any LSA's for rent.

Coastal Skies

These guys are in Pearland so you might give them a call and see if they know of anything available.
07ag
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

I attempted to look up LSA specific flight schools through AOPA and the three selections that came up looked like they didn't have any LSA's for rent.

Coastal Skies

These guys are in Pearland so you might give them a call and see if they know of anything available.
thanks! i had seen them listed as having a remos gx, but don't see it in their fleet and found what looks to be it for sale https://www.coastalskiesmx.com/2009-remos-gx

good idea to give them a call and see if they can point me in the right direction,, i might also try that with anson and a few other fbo's
CenterHillAg
AG
There used to be a flight school that used LSA's at Houston Southwest in Arcola, I'm not sure if it's still there.
07ag
AG
CenterHillAg said:

There used to be a flight school that used LSA's at Houston Southwest in Arcola, I'm not sure if it's still there.
they shut down after a fatal accident about 5 years ago
TresPuertas
AG
posted this on the classifieds but figured i'd maybe have some luck.

since my flying career is over, i'm selling my twice used David Clark DC One X Headset

Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling.

Retail for these is around $900 + tax. For sale for $800. I'll get pics uploaded in a bit

Located in DFW but willing to ship to an Ag Tag.
TSJ
AG
84HartAg said:

Selling my 1973 Cessna 150. Just over 2500 TT, just over 600 TSMOH. Asking $33,000. Garmin SL40 Com radio, Garmin GTX 320 transponder, Garmin area 500 GPS, 2 place intercom, PM me if interested.
First off, no stars means no PMs.

Second, Is it IFR certified?

CaptnCarl
AG
Headsets have to be IFR certified? News to me.
TSJ
AG
That would be news to to me as well. I am more interested in possible airplanes that I could get my instrument rating in.
CanyonAg77
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Headsets have to be IFR certified? News to me.
Where are you seeing that?
CaptnCarl
AG
Makes more sense. Totally glazed over what you were responding to.

In other news, planning first flight into Colorado for tomorrow. Pretty excited and nervous about the elevation/terrain.
MaroonDontRun
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Makes more sense. Totally glazed over what you were responding to.

In other news, planning first flight into Colorado for tomorrow. Pretty excited and nervous about the elevation/terrain.
What altitudes are you going to be going into?

I have always contemplated flying with an instructor in high elevation terrain prior to going it alone (depending on the circumstances of course).

CaptnCarl
AG
I'm planning for 10k then step up to 12k to be at MEA. May have to go up to 13k (12k MEA) on the return trip eastbound. I have an oxygen bottle in that case. Aircraft is turbocharged so density altitude is less of a concern.
fire09
AG
Bring a bottle of o2 and have fun. Over the mountains early or get ready to get rocked. I used to fly a Mooney out of rocky mountain, beautiful area to travel. We stayed vfr when crossing the divide typically. No reason to go in bad weather.
AgLA06
AG
fire09 said:

Bring a bottle of o2 and have fun. Over the mountains early or get ready to get rocked. I used to fly a Mooney out of rocky mountain, beautiful area to travel. We stayed vfr when crossing the divide typically. No reason to go in bad weather.
I want to get my license so bad to make weekend trips to Ruidoso, Santa Fe, and Southern Colorado feasible.
MaroonDontRun
AG
CaptnCarl said:

I'm planning for 10k then step up to 12k to be at MEA. May have to go up to 13k (12k MEA) on the return trip eastbound. I have an oxygen bottle in that case. Aircraft is turbocharged so density altitude is less of a concern.
The turbo definitely changes the process.

When i get over 5K i just shove the throttle in and watch the manifold pressure drop on the way up.
Aero95
AG
Dallasag517 said:

Where are you based? I am in Dallas and this thread has me thinking if whether we could pull together a coalition of the willing to have a fly-in somewhere.

Sorry, haven't been back here in a while! I'm in Wichita KS but regularly fly back home to McKinney.

Yesterday we flew to Coeur d'Alene for a long weekend trip! I love my Mooney.
Aero95
AG
The Colorado Pilots Association runs a great weekend mountain flying clinic a couple times a year for anyone wanting to learn.
JB!98
AG
There is video out of Dale Snodgrass' mishap. I don't know if it would be appropriate to post it here, but it may raise some valuable discussion. Just don't want to commit a no-no on this board. Lot's of speculation that it was pilot error (not removing the control lock and wiping out the control surfaces before take off). I find it hard to believe that a 4800+ hour Tomcat guy and no telling how many hours on the airshow circuit would become that complacent.
CaptnCarl
AG
I was fully expecting the convective activity to dissipate overnight. Woke up to a convective SIGMET on my route to the bathroom/fuel stop in Albuquerque. The SIGMET ended at 4:55, so we drove to the airport. On the way, the SIGMET was extended to 5:55. I have a hard personal rule that I never fly through convective SIGMETS, so I made the decision to drive. I wanted to be on the ground in the morning at KTEX due to predicted afternoon convective activity in the mountains. About an hour on the road, the SIGMET was lifted, and I'm confident I could have picked my way through the heavy stuff, but we made it to telluride safely. Hope to be able to make the flight soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.