Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

204,820 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by HarleySpoon
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And if you have clear skies in Ft. Worth or just west, you can probably spot the Google Balloon just after sunset.

CanyonAg77
AG
Hurricane Hunter headed out this evening

CharlieBrown17
AG
Saw an ADS-B post in the AMA plane spotters group and thought Canyon would like that, until I saw who had posted it
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Saw an ADS-B post in the AMA plane spotters group and thought Canyon would like that, until I saw who had posted it
Yeah....I looked a few minutes ago and there was STILL a line of T-6s headed north. I saw as many as 20 a few hours ago, down to about 6. The ramps at Chattanooga and Lexington are gonna be covered in T-6s.
ballchain
CharlieBrown17
AG
Damn that sucks
CharlieBrown17
AG
Saw a DA62 flying around the Seattle area today. Looks real sharp in person
Aero95
AG
That is really awful.
src94
AG
NTSB supposed to be on-sight this morning to investigate.
src94
CanyonAg77
AG
Coulter Field crash was two parents and their daughter. Survivor was likely her boyfriend. I can't imagine the pain of the families.
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Coulter Field crash was two parents and their daughter. Survivor was likely her boyfriend. I can't imagine the pain of the families.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I mentioned above about taking my two kids flying a few weeks ago. My wife was nervous as hell because "my everything was in that little plane in the air."
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm nervous as hell because My Favorite Pilot is in a complex aircraft that could be called to war at any time.

Her life-altering injury came when she was driving a pickup and a drunk hit her damn near head on.

I try not to worry, because you can't control it. Odds are she will never go to a combat zone or never be in an aircraft incident. But she could be.

At the same time, as statistics say, she was much more in danger on the highway.
Tx Ag72
I have lived across the road from Coulter since 1978. Have always been excited to see a couple of air shows and static displays when they were held. I can recall 3 incidents where live(s) were lost. One back in the 80's when and experimental went down with one on board, then the skydivers accident . The wreckage for that site was probably a couple of hundred yards further south than the accident that occurred yesterday. That being said, the traffic at Coulter is up. The hospitals keep some of the medical helos here and the larger twin turbos and the one or two jets that stay there are fun to watch. I saw Bush take his practice jump out here. Plus, no one is going to build across the street from me.
PA24
AG
Tx Ag72 said:

I have lived across the road from Coulter since 1978. Have always been excited to see a couple of air shows and static displays when they were held. I can recall 3 incidents where live(s) were lost. One back in the 80's when and experimental went down with one on board, then the skydivers accident . The wreckage for that site was probably a couple of hundred yards further south than the accident that occurred yesterday. That being said, the traffic at Coulter is up. The hospitals keep some of the medical helos here and the larger twin turbos and the one or two jets that stay there are fun to watch. I saw Bush take his practice jump out here. Plus, no one is going to build across the street from me.
In relationship to the runway, where did the PA24 crash?

Tx Ag72
At the end of the main runway on the south end. Where most planes taxi too and then turn north to take off. Realize the wind determines approaches and take offs.
Scud Runner
Google Balloon? Even the illusion of privacy is fading
CanyonAg77
AG
Scud Runner said:

Google Balloon? Even the illusion of privacy is fading
They're basically flying cell towers.

I guess you can believe they're there to spy.
texagdoc
AG
You need a Piper Jet prop!
PA24
AG
Importance of doing a sound preflight.....always think of the task at hand.

Results of leaving a control lock in place.

I am always searching the Internet for good Lesson Learn. Normally G.A.

..but this one caught my attention.

Fly safe
PA24
AG

Piper Comanche is a great airplane,
Dumbdumb
Who is flying today? Kiddo and I are doing a Bucc-ee's run for snacks later today. KTDW to KAFW. Maybe stop at Hard 8 BBQ for a bite as well.
src94
AG
I would be, but both of our club planes are down for Mx.
src94
src94
AG
Does anybody have any info on Tax Exempt (Non-profit) status for Flying Clubs? What is required to get that status?
src94
BwdAg
AG
Anyone know a CFI in B/CS with a 172 who could help a student (20 hours) finish getting private pilot certificate? Student needs to finish quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Oryx
BwdAg said:

Anyone know a CFI in B/CS with a 172 who could help a student (20 hours) finish getting private pilot certificate? Student needs to finish quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Brazos Valley Flight Services at CLL has 2 or 3 172s for instruction.
trouble
AG

Guppy
AG
I've logged a lot of hours in a Comanche 250. Almost all my flight time in them came many years ago when I was flying as a weather modification pilot - cloud seeding. Flying 50 feet under t-storms hunting for updrafts so I could release a chemical into the thunder storms to try and help increase rainfall totals for ranchers out in west Texas.

Occasional the updrafts were so strong and severe you'd get sucked right up into the thunderstorm. You'd just drop the gear and let go of the controls and let the storm have her way with you. I would get tossed and rolled around along every axis in the most merciless manner. I'd get spit back out as high as 18,000+ ft and then asses the aircraft. That great aircraft, that absolutely phenomenal Comanche always held up great after the most violent rides and turbulence I've ever encountered bar none. Loved the job and even though I've moved on to much larger aircraft I often fondly remember those days and that plane.
The Kraken
AG
Were you able to do that without sh***** yourself?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Scud Runner
Guppy said:

I've logged a lot of hours in a Comanche 250. Almost all my flight time in them came many years ago when I was flying as a weather modification pilot - cloud seeding. Flying 50 feet under t-storms hunting for updrafts so I could release a chemical into the thunder storms to try and help increase rainfall totals for ranchers out in west Texas.

Occasional the updrafts were so strong and severe you'd get sucked right up into the thunderstorm. You'd just drop the gear and let go of the controls and let the storm have her way with you. I would get tossed and rolled around along every axis in the most merciless manner. I'd get spit back out as high as 18,000+ ft and then asses the aircraft. That great aircraft, that absolutely phenomenal Comanche always held up great after the most violent rides and turbulence I've ever encountered bar none. Loved the job and even though I've moved on to much larger aircraft I often fondly remember those days and that plane.
Interesting. Were you wearing oxygen?
CenterHillAg
AG
Christ that's a terrifying job! I got caught in a microburst one time with my family onboard in my 182, felt pretty helpless until it spit me out in the other side. That experience changed my whole attitude on flying and pushing limits.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That sounds awesome. Sign me up
Guppy
AG
I was a young dumb bullet proof pilot. All of 600 some odd hours when I got the job. So it was more exciting than scary. Looking back I can't believe I did half the things I did, but that's life in general.

No O2 - had a waiver and we never intended to get that high. Just happened every now and then. A "momentary deviation" if you will.
flyingaggie12
AG
Tom Freund at BVFS, great instructor and great person. He's been an airline pilot and is very knowledgeable and thorough.
flyingaggie12
AG
See above.
Thanks and Gig 'Em
PA24
AG
Guppy said:

Thanks for sharing that, what great memories in an outstanding airplane. I will remember what you wrote next time I get in some nail biting choppiness.

I absolutely love my Comanche 260, a fast workhorse. Flying tomorrow and my angel flight passengers just sink in the oversized back seat.

I rode thru a couple of storms, nothing like your story but once got tossed around while flying in the Bahamas coming back from Puerto Rico n my PA24, no radar help from Miami and flew right into a mess. Threw me around like a leaf, told the wife this could be it. Instructor had taught me to set the gear for stability and that I did. Managed to land on a small island. Waited a couple of hours and had a friend I was texting to file me a flight plan to KFLL.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.