Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

204,810 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by HarleySpoon
dtdag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely interested.

jmprewitt@prewittcpa.com
MaroonDontRun
AG
I guess I should have ventured over to the outdoor board more often because I had no idea we had an aviation thread over here.

We need our own board!

For reference, here is my bird:

PA24
AG
Oryx said:

After over a year of training every weekend, I finally tested for and passed my final FAA PPL-H checkride. Had a direct crosswind that kept making low level turbulence off the hangers but managed to push through.

I'm now a rated helicopter pilot.

Were u in Largo Vista last weekend getting some of that $3.05/gal Avgas?

If so, I was the Comanche 260 that pulled up while u were leaving.
falcon09
AG
Ubitag said:

Oryx said:

After over a year of training every weekend, I finally tested for and passed my final FAA PPL-H checkride. Had a direct crosswind that kept making low level turbulence off the hangers but managed to push through.

I'm now a rated helicopter pilot.

Were u in Largo Vista last weekend getting some of that $3.05/gal Avgas?

If so, I was the Comanche 260 that pulled up while u were leaving.

I haven't been out to the airport in years, but I had my first ever flight out at Lago Vista back in 2000.

My family had a place out in Point Venture and my grandma knew Rusty (who the airport is named after). He agreed to take me up in his Cub, complete with a WWII paint scheme.

I already knew I wanted to be a pilot, but that trip around the lake confirmed that it's what I was meant to do.
TravelAg2004
AG
Email Sent.
Aero95
AG
Let's see if this works...

src94
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

I guess I should have ventured over to the outdoor board more often because I had no idea we had an aviation thread over here.

We need our own board!

For reference, here is my bird:

Nice 'moon' ride
src94
CaptnCarl
AG
A 'Flying is Outdoors' fly-in would be cool.

If you know of any other fly-ins in the state, be sure to post them here.

Do any of you have any destinations you frequent? I've been meaning to fly to Easterwood to check out the new cafe at the airport.
CanyonAg77
AG
My Favorite Pilot did a fini flight at her old squadron, moving to a new squadron next week. Her husband got a great shot of a low pass.

MaroonDontRun
AG

I'm sure there are others.

It is a real bummer that Jack closed the doors on the Southern Flyer at Brenham (both the restaurant and the FBO).
CaptnCarl
AG
Thanks for sharing! Great list.

I flew into Lajitas Resort (T89) about a year ago and I highly recommend that for a weekend flying destination. Resort owns the runway. 6500' runway.

Port Aransas Mustang Beach (KRAS) is a good flying destination. Airport is next to a marina. Had a buddy pick me up in his boat and we were fishing within 15 minutes of touchdown. You could probably rent a golf cart too for the day or weekend.

Gastons Fishing Resort on the White River in Arkansas will be a forever memory. They have a grass strip in great condition and very reasonable cabins.

PA24
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

I'm sure there are others.

It is a real bummer that Jack closed the doors on the Southern Flyer at Brenham (both the restaurant and the
KCLL would be great and a place we all love.

Let's do a spring fly in for the...spring game?

dubi
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

My Favorite Pilot did a fini flight at her old squadron, moving to a new squadron next week. Her husband got a great shot of a low pass.

This is awesome!
AlaskanAg08
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

It is a real bummer that Jack closed the doors on the Southern Flyer at Brenham (both the restaurant and the FBO).

I stopped in Brenham for some fuel the other day and the manager of the FBO said that they are in talks with the city to get the building and reopen the restaurant. I really hope they are able to do so, even if its a different concept. Weekend $100 hamburger/breakfasts are the best way to get family/friends into GA.
84HartAg
AG
I've been saying that since page 2.

Bumped the thread again somewhere along the way.

Not sure how to lobby for an aviation board, but surely there's a way. Too many topics to cover in a single thread.

Com'on staff, a little help please.
PA24
AG
General Aviation would be an awesome forum
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
Any recommendations for a general aviation board outside of TexAgs?
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Given my aviation experience (joy!), there could be no other choice!

The Best GA AIRPLANE!
Aero95
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Quote:

The Best GA AIRPLANE!

I concur as a fellow Mooney owner! Beechtalk is also outstanding.
AnglerAg92
AG
After 7 years of on and off training, I finally buckled down and completed my Instrument Rating. Ready to do some cloud busting this year!
CanyonAg77
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Quote:

The Best GA AIRPLANE!

I think you misspelled

MaroonDontRun
AG
Bellanca is a really good second choice but if I wanted to burn that much gas I would just get an Ovation!
MaroonDontRun
AG
Out of curiosity I went out there to see what you could get a Bellanca for and ran across this one in Missouri City. It looks like a pretty good price considering time SMOH and how it is equipped.

Bellanca Anyone?

CanyonAg77
AG
I love the wooden wing wonder, but my god they had some awful paint colors. I'm thinking there were a few mods in 1979 that made the '79 and newer more desirable,

This one, in similar puke Baylor colors, is for sale in Dallas for $55K. I can copy the ad if someone wants more info, or you can try to get on the Bellanca Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/694640897235405
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

...but my god they had some awful paint colors.
The paint colors look good in comparison to the interiors they originally used!

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Looks like crap, unless you're stuck in the 1970s. But it was really good quality stuff.

ETA: The best flying Viking I ever flew was the one featured earlier in this thread, with Debbie Gary doing aerobatics. It had the blue crushed velour interior, and the outside was painted banana yellow, with BELLANCA in two foot high letters across the bottom of the wings and fuselage.

I've seen photos of it after the guy stalled it in and they rebuilt it. It's in a more conventional blue and white now.
PA24
AG

PA24 Comanche 260, the GTO of single engines!
MaroonDontRun
AG
You gotta love the Piper methodology. If you want to make it faster don't worry about all the drag, just put a bigger engine in it.

Quote:

In 1964, Piper Aircraft introduced the PA-24-400. The version was produced between 1964 and 1966. It was powered by the Lycoming IO-720 engine rated at 400 horsepower. The large-displacement, horizontally-opposed eight-cylinder piston engine was built specifically for the PA-24-400.

The aircraft was fitted with a three-bladed propeller and had a maximum fuel capacity of 100 to 130 US gallons. The PA-24-400 had 185 knots cruising speed and 194 knots top speed. Although similar to the other versions of the PA-24, the 400 has a tougher and firmer structure, mainly in the tail. It was designed with an additional nose rib in the vertical stabilizer and in the all-flying tail.
The Kraken
AG
What's the FAA airworthiness directive on Piper PA-28 and PA-32 wing spars going to do to the values of those aircraft?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
PA24
AG
New World Ag said:

What's the FAA airworthiness directive on Piper PA-28 and PA-32 wing spars going to do to the values of those aircraft?
AD Piper 28 Wing Spar

If No corrosion found then no problem. I wouldn't buy one of these planes that has spent its service life along the coast. if I owned one, I would treat the concerned area every annual with a corrosion x type treatment.

General Info:
A couple of years ago a PA28 wing fell off while in flight with a student and instructor in south Florida. Sad ending.

I just spent a small fortune installing a new designed stabilization horn due to a recurring 1000hr AD.

These old planes take a lot of money to properly upkeep, i work in a aviation shop and it is eye opening the condition most old planes are in. Piper is very specific on repair and the difference between should and shall. Some owners are shocked when their planes are declared nonairworthy by a cert. mechanic. Seen guys role up and say last year I sent $12K so this year shouldn't be much.

Find a mechanic u trust and do a prebuy. Ask to do an owner assist if allowed.

Having cousin Bubba doing your annual every year may be cheap but in the long run it will catch up with u, one way or the other.
PA24
AG
src94
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Looks like crap, unless you're stuck in the 1970s. But it was really good quality stuff.

ETA: The best flying Viking I ever flew was the one featured earlier in this thread, with Debbie Gary doing aerobatics. It had the blue crushed velour interior, and the outside was painted banana yellow, with BELLANCA in two foot high letters across the bottom of the wings and fuselage.

I've seen photos of it after the guy stalled it in and they rebuilt it. It's in a more conventional blue and white now.
I never understood the 'taste' in colors from the 70's, like avacado and baby sh** mustard. Planes, same as my mom's kitchen appliances from back then.
src94
Burdizzo
AG
src94 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I never understood the 'taste' in colors from the 70's, like avacado and baby sh** mustard. Planes, same as my mom's kitchen appliances from back then.

Hangover from the 1960's and easy access to mind altering drugs.
src94
AG
Decisions made on weed, mushrooms, and acid.
src94
Motot
AG
Perhaps someone on this thread will know the answer to this.

I've been flying back and forth to Nashville out of Austin (on Southwest, if it matters). To BNA they fly more or less a straight line. But on the way back to AUS, they fly generally straight to just south of Dallas, sort of over Athens, then finally bank and fly just east of I35 and into Austin along I 35. Why not just fly straight to Austin? Are there some sort of flight paths that I don't know about? I know they use level for directions.

Just curious. I'm sure Southwest isn't just flying a longer route just to irritate me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.