Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

204,826 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by HarleySpoon
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to UPT with 2 guys headed there to fly 135s. They were both of the opinion that KSUX was appropriately named
CenterHillAg
AG
I'm just waiting for gear to come out from Bill & Hillary Clinton Natl.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Pensacola international is another good one
CanyonAg77
AG
Some "B-roll" film of the last day of Red Flag 21-2. Taken by DVIDS but this is a direct Youtube link from one of the guys that steals DVIDS stuff for clicks.

Several aircraft types. Waiting for confirmation, but I think the F-16 take off at 3:11 is My Favorite Pilot. It's the tail number she was in on March 18, this video was released by DVIDS on March 19.

CanyonAg77
AG
This is more than a year old, but putting it up for Charlie Brown and the C-17 guys.

Dumbdumb
Need some fellow pilot help. Pilot friend of mine hates Apple products and will only use Android for EFB's. He states ForeFlight isn't that great and that Avare is one of the best apps out there for pilots. He claims ForeFlight is not worth the price and try's to talk all new student pilots into skipping ForeFlight and going android to use Avare only. I proposed a $100.00 bet we could simultaneously plan the same flight, brief it, download current charts and plates and file the flight plan and I would be able to get everything and more than he could. I need someone to act as a proxy to make it fair with out us knowing the departure and destination and other details that could throw a wrench into things. This all comes from a guy who says cheaper is better yet wears a set of $1100.00 headsets. Anyone want to chime in with ideas?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Posted in the GB thread but assume not all of y'all make it over there.

Got my first try at AR yesterday

average_joker
AG
KROA - KCPT
Jetpilot86
AG
B*****n' Betty didn't like that at all.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

That is badass. What was it like? How stressful is that?
CaptnCarl
AG
Yeah we need the deets.

What was your first time like? How long before you pulled out? I'd be nervous and probably just make a mess.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I was pretty nervous for sure.

I've done it a few times in the sim, the jet is way less touchy and more manageable.

First contact (boom attached to the receiver aka me) was 45 seconds and slightly terrifying. Second contact it took like 2 and a half minutes to realize how ****ing awesome it was and the next two and a half minutes was really fun.

Pretty lucky to already get a shot at it, I'm relatively young in the jet to get the chance.
CaptnCarl
AG
What instruments are you watching? Or is it something on the tanker? Imagine it's not straight feel?
CharlieBrown17
AG
There's physical references on the tanker, lining certain parts of the tanker up with other parts of the tanker, fuel flow settings. So finding out what flow fuel gives you no relative movement to the the tanker that way you can add or take away a couple hundred pounds an hour to gain or fall back on the tanker.

Once you're on the boom there's lights on the tanker that tell you to fly forward and aft or up and down.

src94
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Yeah we need the deets.

What was your first time like? How long before you pulled out? I'd be nervous and probably just make a mess.
src94
Justice Beaver
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

There's physical references on the tanker, lining certain parts of the tanker up with other parts of the tanker, fuel flow settings. So finding out what flow fuel gives you no relative movement to the the tanker that way you can add or take away a couple hundred pounds an hour to gain or fall back on the tanker.

Once you're on the boom there's lights on the tanker that tell you to fly forward and aft or up and down.

"Don't **** Up, *******" ...You'll never forget which light means what again. At least that's what clicked for me.
oragator
Something else found it's way out of its normal enclosure.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/southwest-airlines-pilot-facing-federal-charges-after-allegedly-committing-lewd-sex-act-on-flight
Oldman04
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Are you stationed at TCM? I flew big sexy at EDF and CHS on active duty and then finished up with the Guard back in EDF. I miss flying that plane up in AK.
CanyonAg77
AG
Oops. Didn't mean to post. So I'll fill in with a photo I took at My Favorite Pilot's graduation, about 10 years ago.

And the Pima Air and Space Museum, five years ago.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah I am, I would love Elmo but think the wife would kill me.

CHS would be nice as well, great town
Oldman04
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Yeah I am, I would love Elmo but think the wife would kill me.

CHS would be nice as well, great town

Elmo is the best assignment you can get. I did 10 years total there. PACAF is the place to be, trust me. Your wife will love it, my Texas wife did. Not to mention there are a bunch of Aggies up there. CHS was as a great place to live but I hated being stationed there. Thats were O-5s go to try and make O-7 (ie the leaders who never say no and throw people under the bus to advance their career). If you're an Air Dropper there is a good chance you'll have to do time there. I might be slightly bitter from my time there, lol. At the time we flew 1000+ hrs/year and averaged 280-300 days a year TDY in addition to a deployment every 14 months.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah tempo in the moose world is nothing like that right now. I've heard about how wild it used to be from some of the major types around the squadron
Centex99
AG
I have a 1/4 share in a decked out 182 for sale in San Marcos if anyone is looking...
Also looking for partnership opportunities in south DFW area if you have a share or open to adding a partner (equity or non) to your plane...
MaroonDontRun
AG
Centex99,

I'm just curious what ya'll contribute per hour for future maintenance and rebuild on the 182?

My buddy's Twin Comanche seems pretty expensive (two io320s) and I'm curious what a single with 230+ hp runs. Do ya'll have the Continental or Lycoming?
Centex99
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Centex99,

I'm just curious what ya'll contribute per hour for future maintenance and rebuild on the 182?

My buddy's Twin Comanche seems pretty expensive (two io320s) and I'm curious what a single with 230+ hp runs. Do ya'll have the Continental or Lycoming?
Continental O-470-50 which is just a 470 w/ 520 cylinders for more horsepower.
We bought it with higher time on the engine and don't have the fund fully developed for an overhaul, so are paying in ~$65/hr dry... If we had a fresh engine, we'd likely be contributing closer to $35...
Easiest way is to take overhaul cost (prop/engine) / TBO Hours + oil change/analysis cost (~$150) / 40 (30-50) + $xx misc reserve...
flyingaggie12
AG
You should join the North Texas Aviators group on Facebook and post there. Pretty active community.
Centex99
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

You should join the North Texas Aviators group on Facebook and post there. Pretty active community.
I'm on almost all the Texas based aviation FB groups! Thanks for the suggestion though!
average_joker
AG
When you say South Ft. Worth, how far are you from GDJ?
CanyonAg77
AG
55th Fighter Squadron

Poinsett Bombing Range

Strafing runs with 20mm cannon

Note first photo with smoke from the gun

Disclaimer: My favorite pilot is not in the photos, but could have been

CharlieBrown17
AG
Was at London Stansted a while back and one of their plane spotters caught me landing

CharlieBrown17
AG

Wake island from up somewhere in the 30s
GAC06
AG
I was there a few months ago. Downwind and final

CharlieBrown17
AG
That's awesome

Part timer? Got the idea you flew commercial based on most of your posts.

Usually the reserves grab all the pacific runs up here but we've been busy enough recently that they've been slipping through to active duty.
GAC06
AG
Yeah I'm a reservist and the flying has been sparse
Superdave1993
AG
So, the wife and I will be 50 this year and are looking for something we can pick up and enjoy together as we head towards and during retirement in a few years 10-15 ish. She bought me a "flight experience" at out local airport here in Arkansas and it was great, and not at all what I expected. The closest I can relate it to was driving on ice. It was crazy how the plane would slip, rise and move with little to no input. Not sure of the proper wording, but that surprised me.

We have friends with planes and one neighbor that is a close friend is a commercial pilot with his instructors license. We have talked over drinks a few times, and pretty much came to a deal that if I bought a plane the neighbor would swap instructor time for use of the plane. We both have company cars that can be used for personal use, so our price range would likely be $25-$50k, or similar to a Jeep / truck price.

Would a decent plane like a 182 or similar be good to start with, grow into and be reasonable to keep into retirement? Do you fly with you significant other often? I know that commercial is almost always cheaper, but is it there enough enjoyment in owing a plane to justify the possible added cost for short trips and upkeep?

Thanks in advance, and really just getting my toe in the water and figure a bunch of Ag's will be at least 93% truthful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.