*****The Official Houston Texans 2024: Slowik strikes back****

35,390 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Ags #1
dixichkn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first draft evaluation I was able to pull up on Fisher

Quote:

Fisher's tools give him a fantastic starting point for NFL success. You can see he's already been well-coached and has a solid base of fundamentals. With another year at Notre Dame, Fisher could have been a surefire first-rounder something that will likely push NFL teams to nab him earlier than initially projected.
IrishAg
Here's a good summary on Fisher from nfldraftbuzz.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Blake Fisher enters the NFL Draft as a solid tackle prospect with a blend of size, agility, and technical skill. His timeat Notre Dame showcased his ability to dominate in the trenches, effectively using his length and strength to neutralize defenders and open up lanes in the run game. Fisher's proficiency in executing a variety of blocking schemes, coupled with his solid performance in pass protection, positions him as a versatile asset on the offensive line. However, his consistency in technique and response to speed on the edge are areas that require attention as he transitions to facing the elite pass rushers of the NFL.

His hands are powerful, his footwork is generally sound, and his understanding of leverage allows him to win matchups against formidable opponents. Yet, the occasional lapse in hand placement and footwork, particularly against quicker edge rushers, highlights the need for refinement. These technical aspects, along with a tendency to be late off the snap, underline the importance of continued development.

In sum, Fisher presents a nice mix of raw physical attributes and developed skills that make him a good but not great prospect, with the talent to possibly start at the pro level.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has a lot of snaps in both a zone and gap blocking scheme. Sounds like people were surprised he declared for the draft as he was only in his redshirt sophomore year at ND. But he did start every game (25 total) at RT in his first 2 years there.
IrishAg
I will say it's a good sign when everyone thinks he would have been a sure fire first rounder if he had waited one more year. That talent doesn't magically go away by coming out early.
IrishAg
This paragraph is very interesting from the sporting news draft grade (they gave it a B+) https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/texans-2024-nfl-draft-grade-houston-gets-b-plus-ot-blake-fisher/526cabe7845fe088211f64b6

"Current starting tackle Tytus Howard has been placed on injured reserve in three of his five NFL seasons. Failing to have a plan B would have been a rookie mistake for Caserio and Ryans. The Texans can cut Howard with a post-June 1st designation after the start of the 2025 NFL season if needed. While they hope they don't have to move on from the former first-round pick, they have options, now."

So looking at over the cap, if we cut Howard after June 1st next year, it saves the team 14 million with Howard only having 1.8 million in guaranteed money after this year. Wow, well done by Caserio
3B Paul 97
AG
With 7 picks left, I would guess we will only draft 4, max 5, more guys.
Crispin Torque
OT wasn't on my radar with the 2nd round pick, but I don't hate this. Hopefully this means Austin Deculus is nowhere near the OT rotation this season!
MaxPower
Yeah they need to package to trade up at some point
IrishAg
I'm kind of shocked that there have been 3 LBers selected and Peyton Willis is still sitting out there. Guess the medicals didn't clear as much as the draft pundits thoughts?
Ags #1
AG
On the clock
Ryan34
AG
Looks like we traded up?

I'd love Peyton Wilson if the medicals check out. He'd be perfect for what we need.
MaxPower
Niche LB. Dunno how much they value his skillset. I can't see them taking any of these LB in the 3rd.

Wing feels like a DeMeco kind of player. Seems like WR or S is the most value
Texan_Aggie
AG
I'd rather watch this rookie play tackle than have to watch Deculus again
maca1028
Traded up
IrishAg
dixichkn
AG
No chance they go Marshawn Lloyd here is there?

I wouldn't think he'd be worth that big a reach
IrishAg
MaxPower said:

Niche LB. Dunno how much they value his skillset. I can't see them taking any of these LB in the 3rd.

Wing feels like a DeMeco kind of player. Seems like WR or S is the most value
A lot of people had Wilson as the top LBer over Cooper. The only reason he got dropped was because he had a medical issue for a while
IrishAg
Calen Bullock Safety from USC is the pick
mAgnoliAg
AG
Love this one
IrishAg
Bullock is a big time deep safety ball hawk. Not very physical so isn't the best tackler, but this could move Pitre back to playing closer to the line of scrimmage like he did in his rookie year
IrishAg
mAgnoliAg said:

Love this one
Yeah, I like having a true center fielder out there that can cover and be able to make game changing plays.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Gotta think RB/DT is next
dixichkn
AG
Scouting report on Bullock

Quote:

The prime appeal with Bullock is clear: He has rare upside as a single-high playmaker and deep coverage safety. He brings elite center-fielder range with his explosiveness and long-strider speed, and he has the ball-tracking ability and ball skills to hawk over ill-fated touch and drive throws.

Beyond his playmaking range, Bullock is also a surprisingly fluid cover man for his size and is relatively technically sound for his age in both man and zone. He can manage space and adjust his hip leverage in space, and he has the twitch, foot speed, and plant-and-drive ability to play off-man.
Coverage is where Bullock makes his money. He's rangy, versatile, instinctive, fluid, and a top-flight playmaking presence. But there's no mincing words about Bullock's support ability: He's a major work in progress.
While he can levy hard hits on occasion with his momentum generation, Bullock struggles with play recognition and misdirection reads, can take faulty angles, has inconsistent tackling form, and lacks much in the way of play strength.
3B Paul 97
AG
TE, DT,LB, RB, WR
MaxPower
He's terrible in run support so definitely want to keep him out of the box. Basically the anti Pitre.
dixichkn
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

DT
This please
IrishAg
This draft is making me very happy we pulled the trigger on the Mixon deal. Would hate to be in the same position as the cowboys right now
dixichkn
AG
IrishAg said:

This draft is making me very happy we pulled the trigger on the Mixon deal. Would hate to be in the same position as the cowboys right now
The Cowboys had their shot at a very capable NFL caliber RB in Lloyd. They decided to go elsewhere, which isn't necessarily the worst option. They either really believe in Dowdle or they're happy to pluck someone out of the later rounds or free agency/camp cuts. If they're bitter about RB coming out of this weekend they have no one to blame but themselves

I'm not disappointed one bit about where the Texans franchise is heading. Caserio and Demeco seem to be pushing all the right buttons. Looking forward to a diamond in the rough (or two) tomorrow
Agmaniacmike12
I am a huge fan of Amegadjie, so secretly wanted him at OT in this draft, but I'll take Fisher. Admittedly was hoping that pick would be in the 3rd.

Lassiter is good, have no problem with that pick whatsoever. Concerns about how he sometimes commits PIs by being grabby, but the numbers do speak for themselves. Point of CB is to not get beat, and he has done a good job of that in college, even if the takeaway numbers aren't really there.

On the other hand, Bullock is a ballhawk safety. He has great instincts in coverage, especially when the ball is in the air, but the junior tape at times is rough. He almost singlehandedly lost them the Oregon game with poor tackling. He likely moves Pitre back towards the box safety look more that he excels in, so fit wise, he makes sense.

On the plus side, Bullock and Fisher are both very young (will be 21 as rookies) and have room to grow as players.

Summary: Not one of those nights where I was super excited when we picked, but there are some positives to take away from each pick. I am disappointed to give up 123 to go up and get Bullock, because I don't view him as a step above the crop of players at safety, but the fit probably was the selling point.
Crispin Torque
Lassiter just turned 21 too.
MaxPower
Agreed on the trade up. Lots of good players left in the 4th. Think they will regret only having one pick now.
Crispin Torque
They won't regret it at all. This is how Caserio operates for better or worse. He moves around a lot to get his guys and quite often his guys don't follow the consensus rankings that the fans get bought into.
Max Power
AG
Agmaniacmike12 said:

I am a huge fan of Amegadjie, so secretly wanted him at OT in this draft, but I'll take Fisher. Admittedly was hoping that pick would be in the 3rd.

Lassiter is good, have no problem with that pick whatsoever. Concerns about how he sometimes commits PIs by being grabby, but the numbers do speak for themselves. Point of CB is to not get beat, and he has done a good job of that in college, even if the takeaway numbers aren't really there.

On the other hand, Bullock is a ballhawk safety. He has great instincts in coverage, especially when the ball is in the air, but the junior tape at times is rough. He almost singlehandedly lost them the Oregon game with poor tackling. He likely moves Pitre back towards the box safety look more that he excels in, so fit wise, he makes sense.

On the plus side, Bullock and Fisher are both very young (will be 21 as rookies) and have room to grow as players.

Summary: Not one of those nights where I was super excited when we picked, but there are some positives to take away from each pick. I am disappointed to give up 123 to go up and get Bullock, because I don't view him as a step above the crop of players at safety, but the fit probably was the selling point.
The Lassiter pick makes sense. He's not as good as the two CBs taken right before him but I'm guessing they view him as safer than some of the guys behind him. Fisher is a guy for the future, he's going to take over for Howard probably next year. Agree on Bullock makes total sense if they move Pitre up closer to the line of scrimmage and not play center field. None of those picks are flashy, but our offseason acquisitions were the opposite. Try not to get too down on these moves because of what the team did between the end of the season and the draft.
Crispin Torque
I saw this thread the other day before the draft. Seems like quite a few of these have held true based on yesterday's picks. Caserio has yet to draft anyone from outside a Power 5 school which is pretty crazy.

Pahdz
Damn that's a deep dive and I can't say I disagree with any of the ideas.
Ryan34
AG
One of the ESPN guys had Bullock as his top overall safety and #55 player total. So if the Texans had him ranked similarly, I doubt they regret that trade. They still have enough ammo to move up again if needed.

Lassiter and Stingley have similar play styles as press, cover 3 CBs. Then Bullock playing center field, Pitre and Ward coming down into the box/nickel as needed. That is a big upgrade in terms of talent and fit.

Still think they need a NT, LB, and RB/WR today. An upgrade over Keenum wouldn't be bad either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.