Who Pitches Friday?

11,293 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by W
AggieGreg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lose the Saturday night game and you need 3 more wins, not 2.
jkag89
quote:
Lose the Saturday night game and you need 3 more wins, not 2.
Yep you're correct. Read what I meant, not what I wrote!

Thanks!
merc
AG
Kent it is.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
Kent it is.
Is this official now?
Keegan99
AG
Yes! RC going with Kent on Friday and Long on Saturday. Official!
PFlat
AG
yep tweeted by the Eagle, Zone1150, etc.
Aggies2009
AG
And I'm hoping it turns into a, "Kent has thrown 35 pitches and we're 4 innings into the game, and the Ags lead 9-0... let's pull him," situation. That's best case.
merc
AG
So you get the first two..you still have to win a third. You just eliminate the threat of the losers bracket? I don't know why I'm sweating this so much at some point SOMEBODY else is going to have to step up and pitch or none of it matters.
Keegan99
AG
Downside... Kent is pitch to contact so TSU speed may stress our infield.

Upside... Kent is one of the best fielding pitchers I've seen at A&M.
Keegan99
AG
quote:
So you get the first two..you still have to win a third. You just eliminate the threat of the losers bracket? I don't know why I'm sweating this so much at some point SOMEBODY else is going to have to step up and pitch or none of it matters.

If we start 2-0 we have a stable of arms while our opponent is going with their #4. Even with our lack of quality starters we'll have the advantage.
merc
AG
quote:
quote:

If we start 2-0 we have a stable of arms while our opponent is going with their #4. Even with our lack of quality starters we'll have the advantage.
True. I think a few of the guys are better than they have shown as well it's just the defense has done them no favors.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
It could be like the 2011 regional where Wacha had to pitch the game 7 (albeit on a Tuesday due to rain). Maybe the rain could help us.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree. Our lineup has rarely been shut down by a #4 pitcher this year, as was the case many times in years past.
jkag89
quote:
So you get the first two..you still have to win a third.
Yes but getting those first two gives you a huge advantage, just need to win three games. At any point you fall to the losers bracket, need to win four games (at least three in a row) with the last two games with your fourth & fifth best starters.
Keegan99
AG
Better outcome... quick hook Kent after 40-50 pitches or let him go complete?
PFlat
AG
quote:
assuming we're winning big...tough choice! I say quick hook but a case could be made either way
Bunk Moreland
quote:

depends on score. If the Ags are up very comfortably, then pull him ASAP. If it's a 3 run lead or closer, he needs to stay in. Last thing we want to do is pull him and have the bullpen let TSU back in the game, just to save his pitch count for later in the weekend.

IMO, you take the gamble in deciding who starts. Once you are in the game, you have to play to win. Gambling in-game is much tougher unless the Ags are clearly going to win.
Keegan99
AG
Let's say we're up 8-0 after 4. Do you pull Kent or let him go the distance?
McGibblets
AG
quote:

I say pull him and he may be able to pitch a few innings of relief later on
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Pull him immediately. At 8-0, against such an inferior opponent, the risk is so much lower at that point, so you yank him.

If he only had to go 4 on Friday night, he could throw 1 or 2 on Sunday night if needed, or if not used Sunday night but it pushes to Monday, he could start Monday and get us another 4 or 5.
PFlat
AG
quote:
yep in this scenario I say yank him
rausr
AG
W
AG
I would take the opposite approach --- let Kent go the distance if he can -- let's say up to 100 pitches. Don't use anyone in the pen if it can be avoided
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I would take the opposite approach --- let Kent go the distance if he can -- let's say up to 100 pitches. Don't use anyone in the pen if it can be avoided

If it's 8-0 or a blowout, I'd rather get Kent out early and get 4 innings out of a Hill/Larkings/Freeman/Kopetsky type from the BP and save Kent.

That way you have Vinson, Ecker, Hendrix, Simonds, Stubblefield, Martin, and Schlottman, for the rest of the way, plus any of the other relievers we don't use AND the availability of Kent for more innings.

But I wouldn't be upset with a CG and no use of the bullpen if we went that route as well.
Keegan99
AG
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Texas-Southern

Three wins above RPI 200. Best wins are twice over RPI 133 Houston Baptist. Haven't played an RPI Top 100 team since mid March.
billydean05
Well Childress went with the combination that gives us the second best chance at winning the regional and a far superior option than wasting Long against TSU.
jkag89
The best chance to advance is to get to Sunday undefeated. TSU did play both TCU & DBU close this season.
Goose06
AG
quote:
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Texas-Southern

Three wins above RPI 200. Best wins are twice over RPI 133 Houston Baptist. Haven't played an RPI Top 100 team since mid March.
Given that they have only played 3 teams in the top 100 and in 6 total games, why is it so shocking that they have not won any games against the top 100? All 3 teams they played are regional hosts and two of the games they lost by 1 run. I am not claiming they are world beaters, but this information seems to make people think we can throw anyone we want and have zero fear of losing. I disagree. I do love starting Kent, thats absolutely the right choice.
Sea Gull
AG
Post season games are never "give me" games. Ags will have to show up to win this regional. Can't sleep walk through it...
Keegan99
AG
quote:
Post season games are never "give me" games. Ags will have to show up to win this regional. Can't sleep walk through it...

Ags are -1200 to win against TSU. That's roughly the equivalent of being a 21 point favorite in football.
billydean05
Those of you beating the dont overlook TSU drum, I have a question for you. What percent chance do you give us to beat TSU with Kent starting? What percent chance if Martin, Simonds, Larkins, or Vinson?
EMY92
AG
quote:
Those of you beating the dont overlook TSU drum, I have a question for you. What percent chance do you give us to beat TSU with Kent starting? What percent chance if Martin, Simonds, Larkins, or Vinson?
If we don't hit, we can lose with any of our starters on the mound, however, if the offense does their thing, then any starter that can get off the mound giving up fewer than 6 runs can get the win.
twk
AG
quote:
It's not just about winning. If we start a longshot pitcher and end up using four or five guys significantly to close out TSU, then we've gained very little by not pitching Kent--we'd be counting on him to win the 3rd game with little or no help from the pen.

Ideally, Kent works an easy five or six innings, and we use one or two guys from deep on the roster to close it out. That way, we don't rag out the bullpen in game one, and we might be able to bring Kent back to start on Monday in the "if necessary game" if we get to that point.
billydean05
We have no third starter though. Clearly Kent and Long give us best option of beating offensive teams (see Vanderbilt on Saturday). Our best shot to win regional is saving Long and Kent on Saturday and Sunday for Coastal Carolina and/or Cal. Even if we had to use Vinson for 3 or 4 innings tomorrow, we would have fresh arms out of the pen available for Saturday and Sunday. I still believe that if we start any of the other four pitchers that we have a 90% chance of beating TSU at least and would blow them out 3 out of 4 times with no worries about having to use our best pitchers out of the pen. Going back to Math 141 combinations and permutations this option statistically clearly gives us the best option to win the regional. No question. That is why I asked what others thought our percent chance was to make it mathematical.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
We have no third starter though. Clearly Kent and Long give us best option of beating offensive teams (see Vanderbilt on Saturday). Our best shot to win regional is saving Long and Kent on Saturday and Sunday for Coastal Carolina and/or Cal. Even if we had to use Vinson for 3 or 4 innings tomorrow, we would have fresh arms out of the pen available for Saturday and Sunday. I still believe that if we start any of the other four pitchers that we have a 90% chance of beating TSU at least and would blow them out 3 out of 4 times with no worries about having to use our best pitchers out of the pen. Going back to Math 141 combinations and permutations this option statistically clearly gives us the best option to win the regional. No question. That is why I asked what others thought our percent chance was to make it mathematical.
I get what you're saying, but you aren't exactly making it "mathematical" by using made up percentages...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.