Who Pitches Friday?

11,297 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by W
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree. Stubblefield on a short leash, then run through the bullpen 1 inning per guy.
Foxo
AG
quote:
If RC does not go with Long on Friday and we were to lose this board would have to be shut down.
Throw long Friday then worry about Saturday after that.
That is for sure...But I still would not do it.l
Foxo
AG
Kent can be really good or really bad.
Bondag
AG
quote:
Kent can be really good or really bad.
Kent is not a strikeout pitcher. He pitches to contact. If he has good defense behind him he pitches well and efficiently. If we make an error or two the. It can snowball a little because guys are going to put the ball in play against him. You just have to make those plays.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
We cannot afford to use Long or Kent on Wednesday period.
We won't.
sharpdressedman
RC will go with Long on Friday, as Long stated in his interview. There seems to be an informed consensus on this board that we have a very winnable regional in spite of getting jobbed on the national seed.

RC must get to Omaha to meet expectations, IMO. Losing in the regional is beyond unthinkable. He will take no chances with TSU; the stakes are too high to risk **** happening.
EMY92
AG
I think the regional will be more difficult than a possible super regional match up.

The pitching injuries caught up with us at the end of the year and they won't get better during the post season.
Sean98
AG
quote:
I agree. Stubblefield on a short leash, then run through the bullpen 1 inning per guy.

Absolutely cannot start Tyler against TSU. He can't move and they can run. They will bunt him to death.
jt2hunt
AG
Pitching someone other than Long or Kent is the logical choice. If our bats cant hit tsu pitching than it won't matter who pitches.
Getting out of the regional is the result we must achieve.

Pitch Long, win.
Pitch Kent, win.

Then pitch who?
Next game?

Pitch whomever, committee against TSU, win
Long game 2, win
Kent game 3 win. or lose
Pitch by committee, to advance.

Who would you rather pitch whomever or by committee against? TSU or the game to advance to the Super Regional?
I Got Ranches
AG
It doesn't matter... we've already won according to 12thman.com

quote:
The Aggies were tabbed as the No. 1 seed in the College Station Regional where they will face No. 4 seed Texas Southern in the first day's action at 6 pm on Friday, May 29. On Saturday, Texas A&M will face the winner either No. 2 seed Coastal Carolina and No. 3 seed California
jt2hunt
AG
I saw that Jinx ****.
AggieBiker
AG
quote:

quote:
The Aggies were tabbed as the No. 1 seed in the College Station Regional where they will face No. 4 seed Texas Southern in the first day's action at 6 pm on Friday, May 29. On Saturday, Texas A&M will face the winner either No. 2 seed Coastal Carolina and No. 3 seed California.

Uh, this is correct. Whether we face them in the winner's or loser's bracket is the question. No jinx here. I think "the winner" was an unintentional insertion since the sentence doesn't make sense without the word "of" as in "the winner of either..."
zagman
AG
Start Corbin Martin!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
gougler08
AG
Agree with zag, start Martin/Simonds/Hill and go from there with the pen. We need to score a bunch against TSU
I Got Ranches
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
The Aggies were tabbed as the No. 1 seed in the College Station Regional where they will face No. 4 seed Texas Southern in the first day's action at 6 pm on Friday, May 29. On Saturday, Texas A&M will face the winner either No. 2 seed Coastal Carolina and No. 3 seed California.

Uh, this is correct. Whether we face them in the winner's or loser's bracket is the question. No jinx here. I think "the winner" was an unintentional insertion since the sentence doesn't make sense without the word "of" as in "the winner of either..."

Your right, it is correct if we win our game with TSU, if we lose it's incorrect. My point is they already have us in the winners bracket and the game is yet to be played
billydean05
The goal is to win the regional. Not just your first game. Not just your first two games.

Odds of beating TSU with Long starting 99.5%
Odds of beating TSU with neither Grayson Long nor Kent starting 90% or better I believe most everyone believes and should be accurate.

Next assuming win probability to beat winner of game 2 with Grayson Long starting 70-80%. Odds of winning game 2 with Kent 60-65%. Odds of winning game 3 with Kent 70-75% and I believe below 50% with any other starter.

Looking at complete probability got to start number 3 on Friday to put yourself with best probability of winning the whole regional. Even though you have a slightly higher probability of losing to TSU.
I Got Ranches
AG
quote:
The goal is to win the regional. Not just your first game. Not just your first two games.

Odds of beating TSU with Long starting 99.5%
Odds of beating TSU with neither Grayson Long nor Kent starting 90% or better I believe most everyone believes and should be accurate.

Next assuming win probability to beat winner of game 2 with Grayson Long starting 70-80%. Odds of winning game 2 with Kent 60-65%. Odds of winning game 3 with Kent 70-75% and I believe below 50% with any other starter.

Looking at complete probability got to start number 3 on Friday to put yourself with best probability of winning the whole regional. Even though you have a slightly higher probability of losing to TSU.

That's not the issue. There's probably not a single person in the State of Texas, save maybe a few of the TSU players, that thinks A&M will lose game one. You just don't mark it down in the win column on the official website of the athletic department prior to playing the game...
W
AG
I suppose starting Grayson isn't the end of the world...provided that neither Vinson nor Hendrix are required to pitch
Keegan99
AG
quote:
I suppose starting Grayson isn't the end of the world...provided that neither Vinson nor Hendrix are required to pitch

That's the other thing. I could almost understand throwing your ace if he had a rep for complete games. Sure, you burn him for the weekend, but you save everyone else. But that's not what Grayson does. He's often lucky to get through six complete innings.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
quote:

That's the other thing. I could almost understand throwing your ace if he had a rep for complete games. Sure, you burn him for the weekend, but you save everyone else. But that's not what Grayson does. He's often lucky to get through six complete innings.

Yup, my fear exactly.

If you throw long, it's not with the intention of getting a big lead and getting him out, because he'll throw 65-80 pitches in 4 innings. You start him with the hope he can throw a CG, but really that's just wishful thinking based on how he's racked up pitches early in games this year.
Goose06
AG
I guess the hope would be that you throw Long and he makes it 6-7 innings and you can finish with guys like Kopetsky, Schlottman, Larkins, and maybe even give Ecker an inning even if just for confidence reasons and to see if he is ready to contribute come Sunday or Monday when needed.

With that said, I really wish we would go with Kent. He will be better at slowing down the run game (which Coastal Carolina also has by the way) and he has a much better shot at being efficient and having a shot at getting out early so he can come back Monday.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Gabe just said that Childress has NOT announced Long as the game 1 starter and is still going over the scouting reports to determine the best course of action
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
I think the regional will be more difficult than a possible super regional match up.

The pitching injuries caught up with us at the end of the year and they won't get better during the post season.

Agree with this 100%. We're made for the 2 of 3 format now.
W
AG
scouting report = checking with the baseball board experts
setsmachine
AG
Can we just set up a poll so he doesn't have to waste time reading our meticulous arguments for each side?
Goose06
AG
Can said poll also take into account the baseball intelligence of the poster to weed out the idiots???
trouble
AG
quote:
Gabe just said that Childress has NOT announced Long as the game 1 starter and is still going over the scouting reports to determine the best course of action

LB was wrong?

I'm shocked!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Best laugh that I have had in a long time. Thanks.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
aggiewab
Start Larkins!!! He needs to be the ace next year and needs this experience. He is good and will only get better with this Regional experience.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:

Weird... He said on Louie's show yesterday that he was going to go with Long. Let's hope WHATEVER he does works out.
ordRV80
AG
TSU runs.....a lot, and well.

Pitch whoever your best CONTROL guy is (not named Long or Kent). If you don't walk these guys (or commit errors ((uh oh)), they won't score much.

Who has our best walks/innings pitched ratio? Pitch him.

Then go with Kent in game 2 and Long in game 3. Simple.

Pitching your one solid starter against the worst team you will face is beyond STUPID. Trust your other guys and get the win. The fact that Childress has never done this before is the EXACT reason to do it now. His way has gotten us to one WS and an 0-2 knock out.

It ain't rocket science coach!
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
AggieGreg06
AG
quote:

_mpaul
AG
I'm going to LMFAO if we start Long in Game 1, beat TSU by double digit runs, and then get lit up in Game 2 or 3.

Count me in with the camp that thinks if you can't beat TSU with your Sunday/Tuesday guys, you probably shouldn't be in the super regional anyway.
Keegan99
AG
And he got some good fortune to get in to that WS due to a rain out that allowed him to throw Wacha twice in the regional, before being forced to "pitch back" in the super regional and have Wacha for the decisive third game.
jkag89
quote:
TSU runs.....a lot, and well.

Pitch whoever your best CONTROL guy is (not named Long or Kent). If you don't walk these guys (or commit errors ((uh oh)), they won't score much.

Who has our best walks/innings pitched ratio? Pitch him.

Pitching your one solid starter against the worst team you will face is beyond STUPID. Trust your other guys and get the win. The fact that Childress has never done this before is the EXACT reason to do it now. His way has gotten us to one WS and an 0-2 knock out.

It might not be rocket science but you still got it wrong. If RC does not go with Long on Friday the stupid move would to hold him back to Game 3. Game 2 is the pivotal game of the winners bracket, win that game you only have to win one more to advance. Lose it, need three Ws to advance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.