Who Pitches Friday?

11,295 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by W
MC Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
you play it how you do entire season and hope your bats do what they did 85% of the season. most D1 coaches would all agree.
West Texan
AG
quote:
Texas Southern is not a 4-seed --- they are more like a 5-seed or 6-seed.

TSU is 0-6 vs. the top 100

just 3-11 vs. the top 200

if Kent can shut down Vandy for 9 innings...

----

also there is zero track record of Grayson's being able to come back on short rest if the Ags get to a Monday championship game. If Long starts he'll find a way to throw 100+ pitches

Given our lack of pitching depth we're experiencing and how bad Texas Southern is, we have to take a chance and save Long and Kent.
SHSU-AG
Hendrix had some bad outings, but he's still the pitcher that pitched 6 MASTERFUL innings against LSU. I wouldn't mind him starting a game again.
PFlat
AG
I can see both sides of this argument but in this case I think we should try it - save long and Kent for the 2nd and third round games. Start someone else vs tsu
AggieGreg06
AG
There are really 3 possibilities here:

1. You start 2-0 and only have to win 1 game on Sunday/Monday

2. You start 1-1 and have to win 3 games on Sunday/Monday. Whether that loss comes on Friday or Saturday doesn't really matter because the consequences are the same.

3. You start 0-2 and you're done. This means we lose a game that Long started and if that happens, we likely weren't going to advance anyways. If we lose to TSU with Kent and to Cal/CoC on Saturday with Long going, then so be it. This means the entire team and coaching staff choked and we got what we deserved.

What gives us the best chance to go 2-0? It's Kent on Friday and Long on Saturday unless Childress now views Kent as a superior pitcher to Long after his performance against Vandy. I don't think that's the case.

If Childress really wants to let em hang and start someone besides Long or Kent on Friday and rely on the offense to put up double digits and save Long for Saturday and Kent for Sunday, then I say go for it!
gougler08
AG
quote:
you play it how you do entire season and hope your bats do what they did 85% of the season. most D1 coaches would all agree.

We just saw Vandy and Florida throw midweek guys in their first game in the SEC tourney (against teams much better than TSU) to try and setup their pitching to win the whole thing. We didn't and saw what happened

Many D1 coaches gamble without their ace against a 4 seed. It's certainly not as cut and dry as you want it to be
Sean98
AG
quote:
Texas Southern is pretty bad. A record of 26-15 against a no. 287 strength of schedule.

If the Aggies are going to get past this next weekend they need to have a pitcher other than Long and Kent step up. RC needs to decide if that's going to be Hendrix, Simonds or Vinson, and then I hope he starts them Friday. The Aggie's bats will pound whoever pitches for TSU.
...and if we can't find a way to pound TSU pitching then we don't deserve to advance. Period.
JRB78
AG
I would go Hendrix, but I expect it to be Kent.
OasisMan
AG
id save hendrix for the BP

TSU is bad -- our Tuesday starters played against better teams

start Corbin Martin -- have Brigham "Young" Hill

have Simonds, Kopetsky, Sherrod, Larkins, Stubbs to back him up

hes looked good recently, especially last game
e cartman
AG
This might be crazy, but If I were Childress I'd throw everyone not named Grayson Long or Matt Kent one inning against TSU and trust the offense to win the game.

If it works (and it should), everyone is still available for relief duty the remainder of the weekend and you still have your two best arms available for the winner's bracket games. If it doesn't, you go into the loser's bracket and fight like hell to get back.
Average Joe
AG
This could be the kind of game Hendrix needs to start. Work on mechanics and build up confidence without worrying as much about getting shelled. He has had some great games and terrible games. This could be a great chance for him to work out some kinks and become more consistent.
MC Aggie
AG
if we do start someone other than our top 2 guys it needs to be someone with god off speed stuff and command of his pitches other than fastballs, hendrix can hum it pretty good but these guys can hit a fastball at this level whether they are tsp or lsu. hendrix is a great setup guy, not s tartar right now. shoot, start stubble field, and see how long he can go. not overpowering but can mix up his pitches pretty well.i still think rob goes with long.

twk
AG
quote:
twk, if they tourney got to monday, its despiration mode for both teams, i didn't mean long would be able to go a whole game, but if you limit his pitches friday, then he could throw a few innings monday. this is usually the case when the games go to monday. both teams pretty much have everyone available.
Limit to what? 80? That's about four innings (sometimes 3) for Long. That's just the way he pitches. Too many 3 ball counts, and too many foul balls. Maybe it would be different with TSU, but would you want to gamble on that just so that you could have Long do something he hasn't done this year? I'll pass. I don't think you can completely diss TSU by running out a Simonds or a Larkins in game one, so I would be willing to use Kent, partly because he is more the type of pitcher that might get 5 or 6 innings without topping 80 pitches and be able to give us something on Monday if it came down to it.
W
AG
TSU owns a .953 fielding percentage. Committed 87 errors in 48 games. That's just this side of terrible.

But perhaps this is the key stat ---> the Tigers stole 136 bases in 48 games --- start the lefty Kent to put the clamps on the running game
Jorge_Magnanimo

Texas Southern on the bases is scary -- they can really put the pressure on a defense and their fans get worked into a frenzy, even if a small group. Pitching and defense will be their downfall, however. Get a big lead early and cruise to victory. Play a close game or fall behind and it's very unpleasant.
W
AG
in the interviews after the selection announcement...

Childress was noncommittal on the Friday starter.

However Grayson indicated that he was going to start Friday vs. TSU
bullard21k
AG
I really think if we play this "safe" and go with long on Friday night....

We are putting ourselves in a dangerous position of not even getting out of this regional. Whose to say Kent comes in and just automatically can get us a win in game 2? He has had shaky stretches this year.

I would rather him go against lesser competition and have long against cal/charleston #2
SeattleAg05
AG
I think it's long and Kent in the first two games to earn the bye to the winners bracket. Only question is which order.
Goose06
AG
My pitching rotation would be:

Kent
Long
Martin
Hill
Larkins

Stubb and simonds in middle relief. Ecker and Hendrix in set up role. Vinson as the closer. Freeman would be my long relief guy in a game where we were behind a good bit. Kopetsky and Schlottman would be situational guys.

I'd like to say I'd start a mid week guy Friday, but tsu held DBU to 6 or fewer runs in 3 of their 4 games. Lost 1-0 to tcu. Can't take the chance....
West Texan
AG
Imo it's a complete waste to throw Long against Texas Southern. Why waste the guy that's been our best starter all year against a team that we'd normally throw a Tuesday guy against? Save Long for game 2 at least.
Farmer1906
AG
Hasn't Childress thrown his Friday night ace every game 1 since he's been at A&M?
Lance Uppercut
AG
Yes...he always says "dance with who brung you". This is one time he might want to think a little longer about it, but I assume we'd see Long on Friday.
Farmer1906
AG
TSU will be pitching Felix Gomez (I assume). He's 4-2 with a 4.61 ERA and a .288 Opp BA. We should crush him.
West Texan
AG
quote:
Yes...he always says "dance with who brung you". This is one time he might want to think a little longer about it, but I assume we'd see Long on Friday.

If we still had Minter or Stubby appeared to be in good form, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. But we've struggled getting consistent starts out of anyone not named Long for the last month. Let our offense carry us against a very inferior team and then throw Long.
jkag89
quote:
Hasn't Childress thrown his Friday night ace every game 1 since he's been at A&M?
He has shown he is willing to shake things up a little more this season. If we saw better performances out of Vinson, Stubby or Simonds on Saturday I think we would have definitely seen Long against TSU, now I think there is a reasonable chance we'll see Kent.
EMY92
AG
quote:
We've been in better position starting pitching wise in previous years.
DWren
If RC does not go with Long on Friday and we were to lose this board would have to be shut down.
Throw long Friday then worry about Saturday after that.
EMY92
AG
quote:
If RC does not go with Long on Friday and we were to lose this board would have to be shut down.
Throw long Friday then worry about Saturday after that.
Unfortunately, we have a solid #1 starter. We have a shaky #2 and no #3.

We need to be able to win the first game against TSU with someone other than Long or we likely won't make it out of our regional.
W
AG
3 years later I'm still trying to figure out how TCU won the CS regional without facing Wacha or Stripling.

in Childress' 8 prior regionals with the maroon-n-white on just 2 occasions (2008 & 2011) have the Ags won the first 2 games of the regional. So starting the ace in the opener guarantees nothing.

I really like the lefty to slow TSU's running game. I think Childress will too
Keegan99
AG
If we need Long to beat TSU we don't deserve to win our regional. The goal is to go 3-0, and that means saving your best arm for when ya need it most.

And even if it blew up and we lost with someone else, I'd defend the decision. We should light TSU up with 10+ runs and win going away.
Deadwood
AG
Agree with Keegan. if we suck so bad we can't light up TSU we are done. Play for advancement.
Bondag
AG
I think Martin and Hill make one great starter be it game one or 3. They may only be able to go one or two times through the line-up each, but they both have good stuff, just a little inconsistent.

We are judging our pitchers based on SEC bats. We won't have to face those until Omaha. We have guys that can pitch in the regional. In a Super you play to not have to.
Eike Mlko
Texas Southern lost to TCU 1-0
EMY92
AG
quote:
Texas Southern lost to TCU 1-0
It's baseball, a top 10 team can lose to an RPI 200+ team on a given day.

However, I'm pretty safe in saying that our offense is stronger than TCU's. If we can get someone to hold them under 5 or 6 runs, we should be in great shape. In a perfect world, we'd do to them what we did when we played Sam at home.
Foxo
AG
We cannot afford to use Long or Kent on Wednesday period.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.