Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

166,020 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CDub06
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2727916

But seriously, why no mention of Pecan Lodge in Dallas???

Pecan Lodge
2702 Main St
Deep Ellum
Dallas, TX 75226
(214) 748-8900
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pecan-lodge-dallas-3?utm_source=ishare
RioAg79
TMBBQ Fest 2016 tickets went on sale this morning.
The event is on Sunday, October 30th.

If you are planning on going, get 'em quick, because they sell out fast.
I purchased mine already.
I've tried for the past three years, and I either forget the first day of sale or I'm just too late in ordering.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
thanks for the reminder - you just saved my ass
BSD
AG
I just picked up a few of these chocolate bars made with Franklin tallow and espresso sauce.

Quinn
AG
Where'd ya get those?
BSD
AG
only 12 left...

http://www.shopxocolatl.com/product_p/8002.htm
jh0400
AG
I went to order some for Christmas gifts and passed when I saw $24 shipping for two.
agcrock2005
AG
Looks like we'll need another thread before too long...

BSD
AG
jh0400 said:

I went to order some for Christmas gifts and passed when I saw $24 shipping for two.
yep. I bought about 48 so it wasn't that bad.
CDub06
AG
This thread fell off my watch list somehow.

I wrote about Tejas Chocolate Craftory. They're doing big stuff in Tomball. http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2016/10/tejas-chocolate-craftory-tomball.html

Anyone else going to the Houston BBQ Throwdown? It's been my favorite barbecue event. Not quite the meatfest most bbq festivals are, but it's good fun.
mslags97
AG
Had Franklin's today. Unbelievable!!! There aren't many in the top 50 I haven't tried, but I honestly don't think you can improve on his fatty brisket. Superb!!!
The Pilot
AG
Had both Franklin's and la BBQ and I think la might be slightly better, both amazing though.
maca1028

Corkscrew
BurnetAggie99
When John Lewis was there at LA BBQ they were equal with Franklin's. To me they dropped off a bit but still make fabulous BBQ. To me Louie Mueller in Taylor is my favorite for Brisket, Beef Ribs, and Sausage.
army01
AG
I still need to get a beef rib from Franklin, but the ones i've had from LA and Louie Mueller were awesome. Those Mueller's make damn fine barbecue...at least the ones that aren't ********s.
agcrock2005
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

To me Louie Mueller in Taylor is my favorite for Brisket, Beef Ribs, and Sausage.
Man I've tried and tried to love Louie Mueller since my in-laws live in Taylor but I think it's so overrated. I think it's good bbq that's more expensive than great BBQ like Franklin's. Beed rib (brisket on a bone) and brisket is good. Ribs are not. Sausage is pretty good. If I'm in the BBQ mood when I'm there on a weekend, we're heading about 30 miles east to Snows. That's good brisket!
jh0400
AG
I've only had Louie Mueller once and didn't have anything that came close to Franklin or Snow's. I get that excessive black pepper is their thing, but I didn't find it enjoyable.
Martin Cash
AG
agcrock2005 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

To me Louie Mueller in Taylor is my favorite for Brisket, Beef Ribs, and Sausage.
Man I've tried and tried to love Louie Mueller since my in-laws live in Taylor but I think it's so overrated. I think it's good bbq that's more expensive than great BBQ like Franklin's. Beed rib (brisket on a bone) and brisket is good. Ribs are not. Sausage is pretty good. If I'm in the BBQ mood when I'm there on a weekend, we're heading about 30 miles east to Snows. That's good brisket!
???

Louie Mueller brisket $17.29 lb.
Franklin's brisket $20.00 lb.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

???

EDIT: If you can't see it, it's $10.49 for 1/2 lb. Not sure where $17.29 is coming from.
WestTexAG
AG
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but the pint of chopped beef in your picture is listed as $17.29. That may be where his number came from.
Martin Cash
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

???

EDIT: If you can't see it, it's $10.49 for 1/2 lb. Not sure where $17.29 is coming from.
Website
MrPlow2010
AG
Has Corkscrew changed their beans recipe? It used to be more sticky and now in that picture and the last time I went there the beans have been more liquidey. I really liked them when they were sticky more so than how they look in that picture. Has anyone else noticed this ?
agcrock2005
AG
BQ75 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

???

Website
Oh. Just went to their site and that menu is from 2014. Crazy they've gone up $3/lb in 2 years. Heck of a jump.
CDub06
AG
Got a big party going to Snow's at 8AM on Saturday. I love evening games - gives us plenty of time for some Snow's BBQ and a nap.
BurnetAggie99
From my understanding when talking with Wayne Mueller is the reason they went up the 3$ was because of beef prices that increased because of the shortage of cattle due to the drought. Beef prices are starting to come down at the auction barns. I took some stocker steers off last week and i only got half of what I got 6 months ago. Crazy thing is prices are down at the auction but prices of Beef in the food stores is still high
Aggie09Derek
AG
If demand stays the same no reason to drop price.
agcrock2005
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

If demand stays the same no reason to drop price.
Truth. If demand stays crazy high for brisket due to Arby's/Subway (they actually demand a sizable portion of the nationwide supply of briskets) and non-traditional bbq folks (green egg/primo folks) then supply won't keep up with demand and price will stay high.
JR_83

Had to do the old post-Christmas trek to Cooper's in Llano yesterday. Got there later than I wanted so the brisket was meh, but chop and spare ribs were outta the park. Beats the hell outta leftover turkey and dressing.

bobbyb0322
If you are ever in Longview, you need to check out Bodacious BBQ on Mobberly across the street from Letourneau University. It is part of the "chain" but outside of the sauce is nothing like the rest. Seriously some of the best brisket I've had and I've pretty much ate at most of the places everyone loves. Pitmaster is formerly from Stanley's in Tyler. Good stuff.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Has anyone tried 2M in San Antonio?
petey88

Miller's in Belton is moving about a block and a half into a larger place, have seen construction the last few weeks. New place is on the corner of Central Ave and Penelope, to re-open on New Year's Eve.

BurnetAggie99
Yes it's pretty good. Esaul Ramos one of the owners trained and cooked with top-flight pitmaster John Lewis at La Barbecue in Austin before Lewis left for South Carolina. Ramos then was promoted to head pit master at LA BBQ. He was the head guy until he decided to open 2M in San Antonio. Ramos is cooking on an oak-fired pit that Lewis custom-built for him.
JR_83

Finally made it to Taylor Caf Saturday to try Vencil Mares' BBQ. Honestly, it was OK but nothing to write home about. The funky atmosphere though, was incredibly unique.

Did get a chance to say Hello to Mr. Mares on the way out.

Has anyone heard about Stiles Switch opening another site?

JR_83
After a blah time at Taylor Caf, went to Louie Muellers last Saturday. Absolute brisket heaven. I noticed that they've backed off the black pepper rub quite a bit on the spare ribs, opting for a sweeter, paprika rub on it. As always, they knock it out of the park.
JR_83
Oh, and Stiles Switch is supposed to be opening another site in Dripping Springs...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.