Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

165,612 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CDub06
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JR_83 said:

After a blah time at Taylor Caf, went to Louie Muellers last Saturday. Absolute brisket heaven. I noticed that they've backed off the black pepper rub quite a bit on the spare ribs, opting for a sweeter, paprika rub on it. As always, they knock it out of the park.
In-laws live in Taylor and I tried Taylor Cafe at their request. It was terrible. Old man river is a sight to see at the door sitting on his ass, but his bbq is trash. I've heard Davis Grocery & BBQ in Taylor is decent but haven't tried it yet.

I've eaten at Louie Mueller dozens of times and to me they're hit or miss. I've absolutely loved it at times, and other times I've left pissed that I just bought $20/lb. brisket and overcooked/overpriced pork ribs that weren't trimmed properly. If you want great BBQ and you're in Taylor often, venture about 30 miles SE to Snows in Lexington. You won't be disappointed. Their brisket is as close to Franklin's I've had.
JR_83
Oh, I know how outstanding Snow's BBQ is! I just have to get up a little earlier to make it over there.
slickwilly107
Gonna hate myself for posting this here because I want to save it all for myself. Apologies if it is mentioned somewhere way back in this thread.

Truth BBQ in Brenham. Dude trained under Franklin.

LEGIT.

Facebook
Quinn
AG
http://www.tmbbq.com/truth-barbeque-2016/

TM BBQ did a big review last year. Not sure when I'll be out that way, but it looks good.
CDub06
AG
Truth is quite good. I did a brief entry on my site:

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2014/01/truth-barbecue-brenham.html
(Disregard the 2014/01 date in the url, that's just where I dump my quick & dirty entries)
byfLuger41
agcrock2005
AG
Went to Pecan Lodge today for lunch. Was not impressed. Got fatty brisket which was dried out, meaning they burnt the **** out of it, and also a couple ribs which were very overcooked. They were smoked so much and must have gotten hot because they were black on the top. Flavor was decent but very dried out. Very surprised because I've heard so many great things about them. I've eaten at Franklin's several times and I don't believe they would serve the quality of BBQ I had at PL today. Don't think they'll be in the top 5 again in the next TM rankings.
CDub06
AG
I've never been as impressed with Pecan Lodge as Daniel Vaughn, so who knows. He loves that place - it seems personal TBH.

It's never been top 5 in my opinion.
byfLuger41
AG
Corkscrew.

EOT.
Greeze06
AG
Going to corkscrew manana. Can't wait!
Quinn
AG
Sounds like an off day. I agree with CDub that they probably aren't top 5, but I've never had BBQ like you've described in the 20+ times I've been. Hmm maybe I will need to pop in for lunch on Friday for a quality control check
agcrock2005
AG
Here's a pic.

tl1127
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Went to Pecan Lodge today for lunch. Was not impressed. Got fatty brisket which was dried out, meaning they burnt the **** out of it, and also a couple ribs which were very overcooked. They were smoked so much and must have gotten hot because they were black on the top. Flavor was decent but very dried out. Very surprised because I've heard so many great things about them. I've eaten at Franklin's several times and I don't believe they would serve the quality of BBQ I had at PL today. Don't think they'll be in the top 5 again in the next TM rankings.

My brother and I went for the first time Saturday and also thought the brisket was very dry and disappointing. We agreed we'd probably go back one more time just to give them the benefit of the doubt since they are so highly acclaimed (and to get that mac again!), but overall we were not impressed.
byfLuger41
AG
Cork spread from 2/17/17:

byfLuger41
AG
Cork just recently upgraded their pork butts and ribs to premium.

They gewd.
BurnetAggie99
When Louie Mueller is on point there's not a better Brisket out there. Also same for Hot Guts and Beef Ribs
Premium
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Cork just recently upgraded their pork butts and ribs to premium.

They gewd.

Well, I know where I'm going tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for the blueberry cobbler!
byfLuger41
AG
I just texted the cobbler maker, blueberry it is for tomorrow.
Premium
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Greeze06
AG
Peach cobbler was on point today. Brisket was amazing. Sausage was surprisingly not good today.
byfLuger41
AG
Majkszak's Meat Market makes Cork's sausage.

What did you not like about it? Flavor, texture, ratio?

Jock 07
AG
What % ownership do you have in corkscrew?
byfLuger41
AG
0%

My Cork game is just strong.
CDub06
AG
Man, I could really use a trip down to Corkscrew...
agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

Man, I could really use a trip down to Corkscrew...
Damn...sounds like I need a really good excuse to go to Houston area. Unfortunately I have none.

agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

Truth is quite good. I did a brief entry on my site:

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2014/01/truth-barbecue-brenham.html
(Disregard the 2014/01 date in the url, that's just where I dump my quick & dirty entries)

Cdub, looks like your map is down. Was going to check out some of your more recent trips. I haven't checked it out in a year or so.
CDub06
AG
Works for me: http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/p/texas-bbq-adventures-roadmap.html

I've not added much content, but I have kept the map up to date.
agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

Works for me: http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/p/texas-bbq-adventures-roadmap.html

Weird. Doesn't work on my end.
Ag83
AG
agcrock2005 said:

CDub06 said:

Weird. Doesn't work on my end.
Works fine on my end. What browser are you using? Any adblockers or anything?

[edit]: I use firebox with adblocks and it still works fine for me.
byfLuger41
AG
Premium said:

Smith&Co1970 said:

Well I'm dealing with a work related injury so no Cork for me today, but Mrs. Smitty will be there enjoying her blueberry cobbler.

So pissed.
jja79
AG
10 AM got number 18 at Corkscrew. Blueberry cobbler today.

Excellent as always.

Was in line with a couple flying home to Seattle from Cancun. They had a layover so they took Uber to Corkscrew. They told me they heard about it from a friend back home who had eaten there on a trip to Houston.
Quinn
AG
OregonAggie
AG
One place not mentioned much is John Muellers in Austin. I've been number of times and never been disappointed. I also think he has the best beef rib I've ever had.

I'll also say that Pecan Lodge in Dallas is really good but I'd rather just go to Hutchins in Frisco/Mckinney since I live here and they have great brisket. The poke ribs pictured earlier don't look close to what I had from PL a few months ago. Probably the best pork ribs I've ever had. Best thing on the plate that day and it wasn't close.
BSD
AG
OregonAggie said:

One place not mentioned much is John Muellers in Austin. I've been number of times and never been disappointed. I also think he has the best beef rib I've ever had.

Didn't he close up shop last year? I haven't been out that way in a while. Is he back?
Jock 07
AG
So what's the consensus on slow bone. Much like pecan lodge I found it to be good but not nearly worth the hype it had received

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.