Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

165,637 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CDub06
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drove 13 miles past a meeting in Plano so I could try out Hutchins in McKinney today. It lived up to the hype.

Brisket was moist and had great flavor.
Ribs were tender and had great rub on them.
Jalapeno sausage was really good and definitely not store bought.
Beans good.
Potato salad good.
Spicy sauce was so good I wanted to get a to-go cup to drink in my truck.

This is my new favorite in DFW area. Far better than Lockhart IMO.
CDub06
AG
Loved my visit to Micklethwait. I've only been once and haven't done a full review but they're an A- in my book and I can't wait for a second visit.

They are often overlooked and I always offer them as an alternative to the big names if you want to miss the lines (exactly what you did). Micklethwait is worth a wait, but there's not typically a line from what I've heard.
BurnetAggie99
Micklethwait is Austin's best kept secert bbq place. They make world class bbq. Alot of German influence in their food.

BurnetAggie99
CDub - You need to hit Highway 29 BBQ in Bertram. They are putting out some excellent bbq. Also check out Paynes BBQ Shack in Burnet. Texas Monthly BBQ recently rated them 4 stars

Mustang1
AG
quote:
I love Underbelly. That would have been some event to attend!
Ok, when is the next Off the wall series at Underbelly? Must attend.
mslags97
AG
Had La Barbecue today. Wish I could have taken pictures, but not able to take any.

Had a little bit of everything. Great stuff! Brisket, pork rib, sausage link, and turkey. I'm not a big turkey guy, but I got some because I wanted to try the BBQ sauce, and I didn't want to use it on the real cue. Sauce was unique, actually very good as was the turkey. I'm not a big sauce guy, but I like to try it, and I'm glad I did because this was maybe the best sauce I've ever had.

The brisket was some of the best i have ever had. I'd put it right up there with Lockhart in Dallas, Black's in Lockhart, followed closely by Pecan Lodge in Dallas and the Granary in San Antonio (which is by the way one of the most underrated Cue places in the state--my favorite pork ribs period).

The pork ribs were a little disappointing, but still very good. The meat fell off the bone--no pull. So it was a little too moist and fatty. Great flavor, but needed a little more tug.

The sausage was very good. Actually great. Black's was better, as was Lockhart and Pecan Lodge, but theirs was still very good! A little side note--I still think Leon's sausage is the best I have ever had!

I had the potato salad and it was awesome, and the slaw was really good as well

This was an easy A, close to an A+. I've heard lots about it, and it did not disappoint!
BurnetAggie99
LA BBQ along with Louie Mueller & John Mueller make what is known as true German style Hot Gut sausage. IMO no one makes it better. It is very similar to what we made ourselves from my great grandfather's German recipe.
AggieStout
AG
waited in line at Franklin's Saturday with my brother who was in from out of town. He has always wanted to eat there since all the hype and since I went about 2 years ago. We got there at 8am and finally got inside to eat at around 1pm. I can tell you this, as my second time eating there its not worth the 5 hour wait. I've eatten at both La BBQ and Mullers and would rather wait in their lines. I havent been to Micklethwait's but its on my list.
BQ92
AG
Micklethwait's is worth the trip
cc10106
quote:
Micklethwait's is worth the trip
jalapeno cheese grits alone
BSD
AG
Looks like Texas Monthly is doing another Behind the Pits dinner...this time at Snows. The date is Jan 22nd at 6:00pm. Tickets on sale tomorrow at 10:00am.
ILikeTacos
AG
How would one go about buying these tickets?
BSD
AG
on the Texas Monthly BBQ site:

http://www.tmbbq.com/events/tmbbq-behind-the-pit-dinners/
BSD
AG
TM is also putting on a dinner that's a collaboration between Austin restaurants Qui and Franklin BBQ. It aint cheap, though...$200 per head. That's in January.
CDub06
AG
HOLY COW. I FREAKING LOVE PAUL QUI.

I must look into this!
BSD
AG
I'm leaning towards going but my buddy in Austin said he tried some of Qui's food at the Austin Food and Wine Fest and wasn't impressed. And if I do go, I'd be crashing at his house and probably bringing him along with me. So can I get him to join me is the main issue here.
CDub06
AG
The items at Qui are impressive. Plus East Side King is amazing. I've yet to find something that Paul has his hand in that disappoints me.

Plus Aaron Franklin is God's missionary of meat.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Plus Aaron Franklin is God's missionary of meat.
BSD
AG
Tickets on sale in about 10 minutes.

http://www.tmbbq.com/events/fire-smoke/
BSD
AG
and now sold out.
agcrock2005
AG
Went to Longoria's in Everman (South Ft. Worth).

Sausage: Best I've ever had. Made with brisket of all things. I bought some raw/frozen to cook myself. Unreal!
Brisket: Great flavor. Dry.
Ribs: Great flavor. Dry.
Sauce: KC sauce. Too sweet.
Potato salad: Good
Pintos: Average. Wouldn't get again.
Atmosphere: Great
Service: Awesome.

Will go back and get more sausage when I run out.
CDub06
AG
My BBQ Map is live!

http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/p/texas-bbq-adventures-roadmap.html
petey88

Thank you CD
ursusguy
AG
The brisket sausage at Longoria's is really good.
agcrock2005
AG
Now that I've tried Lockhart's in Plano I can firmly say they both suck. Rib was terrible. They don't trim them at all so you have the cartilage and tons of fat at the end, so I paid about 5 dollars for two bites of overcooked rib. Flavor was great, but they can't cook a rib to save their life. Brisket was cooked perfectly but lacked any flavor at all. Of course the sausage was awesome, since they ship it in from Kruez. Guess I'm going to have to go to Hutchin if I'm ever wanting some good BBQ in that area.
Greeze06
AG
Cork screw is right down the road and is the tits. I've been handling the Whole Hog sandwich lately which never disappoints.

Cdub...I agree with you on pit master but they have a pretty damn good tater salad. Rest is typical.
BSD
AG
So the Qui/Franklin dinner last night was pretty good. I'll post the menu here in a few. I was too busy eating and BSing to take pics so I'll steal some from Daniel Vaughn.
CDub06
AG
I was following along on Twitter. Holy cow...
BSD
AG
Appetizers during the reception:
beef tongue wrap
grilled oysters
some sort of butter bite (on assorted veggies and leaves)
mini Korean grilled cheese sandwiches.

first course:
gulf snapper ceviche
scallop crudo

second course:
fish collars
smoked prime rib
oxtail stew
brisket fried rice

dessert:
lemon meringue
ice cream

It was a really good night. I had good food, got to hang with an old buddy, and had a glass of baller ass wine before we left for dinner (I don't drink anymore so one is my limit...and it better be good). I need to go back and do the regular Qui menu sometime. After the dinner ended at 10:30 I drove back to Houston so I'm pretty tired today. But it was worth it.

BSD
AG
A few pics stolen from Twitter.

Moe 92
AG
quote:

It moved
Lee91
AG
quote:
quote:

It moved
Its smoked and is prime rib - it will always look that way.

I'd eat it (and I like my steaks Medium).
BSD
AG
I dont think he was talking about the meat...at least not that meat.
Moe 92
AG
Yes, BSD is correct. It's a Seinfeld reference. The smoked prime rib looks incredible.
Lee91
AG
quote:
Yes, BSD is correct. It's a Seinfeld reference. The smoked prime rib looks incredible.
Never liked nor watched Seinfeld.

It does look incredible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.