Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

165,630 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CDub06
swampstander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Refresh my memory. Wasn't there a Franklin's walking distance from Memorial Stadium in the 1980"s? A T-sip buddy took me there a couple of times before games. Don't remember it being anything special.
army01
AG
There might have been, but it would not be related to present day Franklin's. Even in 1989, Aaron would have been probably 10-14 years old....he grew up in Bryan and his parents had a barbecue place, "Ben's".
Justice Beaver
AG
quote:
In all fairness, my trip to Snow's was incidental to being in Lexington that day.

WTF could you possibly have gone to Lexington for if it wasn't to eat Snow's?
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:
In all fairness, my trip to Snow's was incidental to being in Lexington that day.

I like your username. Great episode.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:

Are you kidding me? The fjords are lovely this time of year.

army01
AG
Hit up Jamie Geer's place, Jambo BBQ Shack, for lunch today. Got the Jambo Texan sandwich. Has two ribs, sausage, bologna, pulled pork, chopped and sliced on it. The ribs and sliced were awesome, and the pulled pork was good. Sausage was nothing special and the bologna was unique.

Doug Christie
went down to port aransas this week, and hit black's on the way up, and city market on the way back.

previously, I'd liked Kreuz over Smitty's, but hadn't tried these two. Black's was a REALLY pleasant surprise. Brisket was nice and moist with great smoke and bark. My wife had turkey which was also very flavorful and not dry like turkey can often be. added bonus of them having real sides for my 3 yo (I appreciate the focus on the meat at places like kreuz, city market, etc. but it is nice to have something else when your toddler's not quite ready for large amounts of meat )

as happy I was with Black's, that's how disappointed I was in City Market. I'd always heard really good things about them and was looking forward to it, but everything was just off. The brisket had little flavor or smoke. The pork ribs had a weird taste to them and the sausage was average at best. maybe I just hit them on an off day, but based on yesterday, I won't be going out of my way to go there again.

I've still got it at:

Franklin
Coopers
Louis Mueller
Black's
Kreuz

still need to try the other new-ish austin places like LA, JM, Mickelthwait's and Live Oak.
BurnetAggie99
^
Good list but Copper's is OK and not Top 50 IMO. If you think Coopers is good then try Opie's in Spicewood, TX. It's 10x better.
Doug Christie
truthfully, it's been a few years, but the few times I'd been, it was consistently good. things seem to change quickly though with bbq places.

may have to hit up opie's the next time we go to krause springs.
Mathguy64
AG
Had beef ribs and mixed sliced at Louie Mueller's. wow. The rib was 2 pounds and some guy in front of me got 2 of them. The line was 45 minutes long from juts outside the door.

The BBQ was first rate and the sauce was unique. It's not a thick traditional sauce but a thin liquid. More like a dipping tomato au jus. It really went well with the meat.
Atty_Ag
I had Opie's in Spicewood today. We were first in line when they opened. I got a nice fatty end piece with some beautiful, smoky bark. I rate the brisket very good, but Cooper's was better. The pork ribs were awesome.
Aggiehunter34
S
Stanley's in Tyler is the best I have ever eaten! That place is unreal. Get there early if you ever get the chance to go. They open at 11 and the line starts forming at 1030. Second best was the Shed in Biloxi MS.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
^
Good list but Copper's is OK and not Top 50 IMO. If you think Coopers is good then try Opie's in Spicewood, TX. It's 10x better.

Cooper's BBQ is easily top 50 and good sides push them farther up the list.
CDub06
AG
Cooper's (Llano) is securely in the Top 10 for me. They consistently put out some good meats. Love the brisket.
ramirez78
Is the BBQ House in Nacogdoches on there? That's the best I've had. mmm
CDub06
AG
I've not been impressed with BBQ House. No smoke, no bark. The only flavor to speak of comes from the sauce they drench it in. When a Texas BBQ joint doesn't have enough pride to let their meat stand on it's own, this is exactly what I expect.
fwag04
AG
Currently in line at Franklins on the way back to Fort Worth. Got here around 1130 and there's a 2 hr wait.
CDub06
AG
How was your Franklin experience?

I hit Hitch N Post in Livingston Yesterday. Worthy of a Top 50 slot.

B+

The brisket was great. Excellent smoke, well rendered fat. Ribs were pretty good as well. Skip the sausage, it was just a link of storebought sausage.
raidernarizona
quote:
Stanley's in Tyler is the best I have ever eaten! That place is unreal

A month or two ago I had Stanley's and Franklin within a week or two of each other. I agree, Stanley was better. I want to go back to Franklin but I was underwhelmed by my visit. The brisket was incredibly moist but the flavor just wasn't there.

bobbyb0322
Stanley's is awesome. Their new beef ribs on Fridays and Saturdays are some of the best I've had.

Tried Blacks this past weekend. Big letdown. While the brisket was some of the best I've ever had the ribs were dried out and the sausage was mediocre at best. Hitting up Snow's on Saturday and maybe Chisolm Trail in Lockhart. I have high hopes for both.
BurnetAggie99
Micklethwait craft meats is top notch. This place has the best homemade sausages I've ever tasted. Also had pork loin, chicken and brisket. All three were some of the best I've tasted. They rank up there with Franklin's and Louie Mueller. The use post oak to smoke their meats. They also have good sides. Sauce is not needed but they do serve on the side a tangy sweet spicy garlicky bbq sauce.
bobbyb0322
I'm in Austin next week for work also. That place is on my list to try BurnetAggie99.

Just tried John Muellers and it was the best pork ribs and brisket I've ever had. Totally didn't need sauce but their sauce is so good I had to use some.

[This message has been edited by bobbyb0322 (edited 7/27/2013 12:42p).]
bobbyb0322
Just ate at Snow's in Lexington for the first time. I think I have a new favorite BBQ joint. Brisket was good. Ribs were great. Pork shoulder was insane, probably the best piece of pork I've ever had. Jalapeno sausage was really good, great snap, a little dry but I like my sausage that way. Potato salad was good and beans were good. Worth the drive and BBQ for breakfast is a great idea.

[This message has been edited by bobbyb0322 (edited 7/27/2013 12:41p).]
CDub06
AG
I've only had Stanley's once and I thought it was just average. Perhaps it was a bad day but they didn't even approach 2nd tier places like Coopers or Fargos for me, let alone top tier places like Franklin. I may try them again next time I'm up there.
CDub06
AG
I took a BBQ Trip through the metroplex. Results:

(I've previously had Pecan Lodge and I think it's Excellent, but not quite "Top 4" worthy. Still, it's an A in my book and was the benchmark for my trip)

FORT WORTH:

Longoria's - Their homemade brisket sausage is worth a try. It is a nice mix of tasty and unique. Brisket had great flavor and decent smoke, unfortunately it was also dry. This would be some great brisket if it wasn't dried out. Ribs had a slight KC style glaze and were pretty good. Their tamales are just ok.

Grade: B-

Original Cousin's BBQ - The brisket was straightforward. It had a good flavor, the ends were juicy with well rendered fat. It lacked smoke. Ribs had an unexpected tangy rub. They were ok. All around, pretty standard. A notch below Longoria's.

Grade: B-

DALLAS:

Lockhart Smokehouse - Lockhart Smokehouse brings legit Central Texas BBQ to Dallas. Perfectly smoked meats puts this in my Top 10. Fatty brisket is amazing. Ribs perfectly prepared, but I'd prefer if they dropped the sweetness in the rub. They are so well done it doesnt need it. Kreuz sausage and clod are also great options. Plus interesting sides like habenero mac & cheese. I loved everything about this place and in my mind, Lockhart is the BEST in D/FW.

Grade: A

Bartley's BBQ (Grapevine) - They delivered some good brisket with simple salt & pepper rub, decent smoke. The ribs had an interesting flavor, not too sweet, and I liked it. Ribs were a bit dry but had good tug.

Grade: B

Hutchin's BBQ & Catfish (McKinney) - This is the only place that really made a mockery of my expectations. I went in expecting decently done BBQ but WOW. Hutchins does their brisket right. I got the first cut the morning I went and was blown away. Great smoke, great rub, great flavor. The pork ribs are simply perfect. I loved their menu and nice choice of sides. The building and the atmosphere are pretty novel as well. I'd notch this place right below Pecan Lodge.

Grade: A

Meshack's BBQ Shack (Garland) - Meshack's is putting out some high quality ribs. Perfectly rendered fat with great flavor and nice tug. Brisket is too dry, but has plenty of smoke.

Grade: B

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 7/29/2013 2:47p).]
Gigemags05
AG
Cdub, we really do have identical tastes. I'll echo what you said about Hutchins. I went in with low expectations and was shocked.

Bartley's was very dry when I ate there. Pretty sure I just got old meat that'd been under a lamp.

Aggie Q
AG
We also recently went to Bartley's and the brisket was extremely dry. Ribs were OK. Not terribly impressed, but perhaps worth a second shot again soon to get some different meats.
TennAg
Hutchins is legit and pretty much the only oasis in the north dfw desert of barbeque.
BurnetAggie99
Recently found a good solid BBQ gem. Hill Country BBQ in Hempstead TX. The location is within 5 miles of the HWY 290 W / HWY 6 N juncture (Take HWY 6 N of course) . Brisket and Ribs are very solid. The dirty rice side is a nice touch. Give it 4 stars.

Also tried Nathan's BBQ in Brenham. The moist brisket was good. The sausage was nothing to remember. The pork shoulder was a nice surprise and was good. The homemade bread is a nice touch. Give it a solid 3 stars.
mslags97
AG
Has anyone ever had Dickie's?!!!!!
CDub06
AG
Hit Whup's in Marlin this weekend. I was very disappointed. They don't deserve to be listed in the Top 50.

The brisket and Ribs were a bit dry and really lacked any flavor. I didn't care for the bland "hot link". The sausage was the definite high point. Good snap, nice spice. Grade: C

We also visited Hiway 77 Cafe (C+) and Lil Joe's (C-) in Rosebud. Disappointing BBQ Adventure.

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 8/5/2013 10:39a).]
JSKolache
AG
Austins in Eagle Lake is legit. Stopped in last week. Brisket sammich was delish and only 5 bucks. Sausage was excellent, right up there with kreuz.
army01
AG
Brought home $220 worth of Louie Mueller yesterday. Damn. Wayne and Tony's beef ribs are the tits.

CDub06
AG
Finally got to try Killen's in Pearland last Sunday.

Beef ribs had Amazing flavor but were very fatty. Fat was pretty well rendered though.
The trimmed brisket was actually better than the fatty cut. Trimmed brisket had great flavor.
The homemade sausage was interesting, I liked it.
Missed out on Pork Ribs. They are supposed to be top notch though. I wouldn't doubt it as Killen's does everything well.
A-

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 8/19/2013 11:32a).]
CDub06
AG
And a pic of my most recent trip to Snow's (Last weekend).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.