Texas A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri

28,189 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by doubledegreeAG
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So RV, why are ticket sales down 50% for your "storied" program?

Doesn't seem to be happening to us. Or Nebraska. Or Mizzou.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
For the love of God, when will the off season end?
dermdoc
AG
Be careful what you wish for 33.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
Bobby Jones was a "storied" golfer. Do you still enjoy watching him play?
Thanks, Doc. The season is far more entertaining on the Rivalries forum than what we have now.
aggiehawg
AG
Are storied programs unranked 3 of the last 5 years and their two years of being ranked barely cracking the top 25??
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Interesting notion of "tradition rich" schools. You and Missouri and Colorado don't really amount to much in the last 20 years or so. Y'all only had sporadic success in other time periods.

Didn't Colorado whip your ass in the '01 Big XII championship game?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:
Interesting notion of "tradition rich" schools. You and Missouri and Colorado don't really amount to much in the last 20 years or so. Y'all only had sporadic success in other time periods.

Didn't Colorado whip your ass in the '01 Big XII championship game?
That was one of those "sporadic" moments.

Only sips believe they are still great when they haven't sniffed a top ten ranking in over 5 years, and probably won't for two more years, at a minimum.
racerfink
Are you too dumb to realize that Nebraska left the little12, and that's why he included them RVHorn? Which, by the way, is one of the teams mentioned by the OP...
StephenvilleAg77
Storied? Nah, there's nothing storied about a head football coach who won the SWC, joined the military, flew dangerous missions for the Allies in a world war, then returned home, and went right back to winning SWC titles for Daddy A&M again. Storied? Nah, there's nothing storied about Homer Norton, Joe Routt, Dick Todd, John Kimbrough, 1939-40-41, Yale Larry, Martin Ruby, Joe Boyd, Marion Pugh. Storied? Nah, nothing storied about the 1941 SWC champion team taking their military oaths at halftime of the 1942 Cotton Bowl. Storied? Nah, there's nothing storied about Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, the Junction Boys, Jack Pardee, Charlie Krueger, and John David Crow. Ken Hall, nah, he's not storied. Billy Pickard, Gene Stallings, Joel Hunt, the Dixie Classic, Kern Tips, Grantland Rice, not storied. The 12th Man, Dana X. Bible, not storied. I could go on like this for an hour, but this sip dipstick RVhorn is too ignorant of the history in this state to bother with.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
20 years seems like such a short time frame when talking about traditions in college sports.

However, it just so happens that the 2015-16 academic year will be the Big 12's 20th year of competition. As an avid college sports fan, can you please tell me what your conference's contributions have been to the many traditions that fans such as I enjoy?

It is sad, but I can only think of the many traditions that have been lost and wonder how you feel the history of the Big 12 will be viewed 10 yrs from now when it finally ceases to exist?
strong
RVHorn
quote:
Are you too dumb to realize that Nebraska left the little12, and that's why he included them RVHorn? Which, by the way, is one of the teams mentioned by the OP...
The only thing dumb is lumping A&M, Missouri and Colorado with Nebraska. Now do you get it? I'm sure you do.
RVHorn
quote:
Storied? Nah, there's nothing storied about a head football coach who won the SWC, joined the military, flew dangerous missions for the Allies in a world war, then returned home, and went right back to winning SWC titles for Daddy A&M again. Storied? Nah, there's nothing storied about Homer Norton, Joe Routt, Dick Todd, John Kimbrough, 1939-40-41, Yale Larry, Martin Ruby, Joe Boyd, Marion Pugh. Storied? Nah, nothing storied about the 1941 SWC champion team taking their military oaths at halftime of the 1942 Cotton Bowl. Storied? Nah, there's nothing storied about Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, the Junction Boys, Jack Pardee, Charlie Krueger, and John David Crow. Ken Hall, nah, he's not storied. Billy Pickard, Gene Stallings, Joel Hunt, the Dixie Classic, Kern Tips, Grantland Rice, not storied. The 12th Man, Dana X. Bible, not storied. I could go on like this for an hour, but this sip dipstick RVhorn is too ignorant of the history in this state to bother with.
All that, and nobody but an Aggie thinks of A&M as a storied program as in an elite program.

Every school has stories. Some aren't as old as yours. It's very Aggie to self felate.
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
The only relevant story about the current nutless bovines is their plummet to sub .500 play and a stated desire to rely on a running game that averaged 3" a carry v. the last place SEC West team.

Your football program is a joke.
StephenvilleAg77
Typical little brother sip: A&M football has a storied history, so he moves the goalposts.
BohunkAg
AG
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Every school has stories. Some aren't as old as yours. It's very Aggie to self felate.
I know you don't mean to be , but you are funny.
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
1st Bowl win: Texas A&M
1st Heisman Trophy: Texas A&M
1st National Title: Texas A&M

We were somebody when you were nobody. Just like now.
quote:
13 0 Branding Iron
posted 10:04a, 01/22/11

Texas A&M will be in the SEC West in two years, maybe as soon as next offseason.
quote:
13 0 Branding Iron
posted 7:54a, 07/18/11

IF we go (and I said we will within two years of the weakened Big XII deal).... We will ruin your sorry five win piece of sh** program and your idiot hillbilly coach.
dermdoc
AG
I repeat, Why are ticket sales down 50 % sips?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I repeat, Why are ticket sales down 50 % sips?
I knew renewals were down over 20%. But now it's 50%??
StephenvilleAg77
Lol. An Ag just texted me that poor obsessed Randy Duke is going bananas on the shag over my post. Since we know the doofus will be reading this, here's a clue for him: DX Bible was the A&M coach who flew missions in a world war. 1917: DXB coached A&M to an unbeaten untied unscored on season including the SWC championship. 1918: he flew missions in France. 1919: DXB again coached A&M to an unbeaten untied unscored on season & SWC championship. DXB became a legendary college football coach while at A&M (which is why little brother sip hired him many years later from Nebraska). DXB also was the A&M coach during the 1922 Dixie Classic, and he often retold the story to newspaper reporters of getting E. King Gill to come down from the stands, suit up, and be ready to go in if needed.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Lol. An Ag texted me that poor obsessed Randy Duke is going bananas on the shag over my post. Since we know the doofus will be reading this, here's a clue for him: DX Bible was the A&M coach who flew missions in a world war. 1917: coached A&M to unbeaten untied unscored on season including the SWC championship. 1918: flew missions in France. 1919: coached A&M to unbeaten untied unscored on season & SWC championship.
Oh crap, the wiki folks are in for looong night. He'll start editing any and every thing on those topics.
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
Oh crap, the wiki folks are in for looong night. He'll start editing any and every thing on those topics.
I just went over to shag to look at what he posted. It's in the 369 page thread where they continuously post on their Daddy A&M. Funny stuff, but, wow, that guy is obsessed. He reposted my post about 60 seconds after I posted it here. He found one error in my post -- which he needlessly conflated and misquoted anyway. There were two A&M football players who took the oath at halftime of the 1942 Cotton Bowl, so not all the A&M seniors on the team (though you can bet they probably all served). My error, which I'll gladly admit and own -- it's a trait Randy clearly doesn't share.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:
quote:
All that, and nobody but an Aggie thinks of A&M as a storied program as in an elite program.

A&M is a LOT closer to elite status than Texas is, and that's not even debatable. And the irony of a Texas fan talking about self- appointed status is ****ing hilarious.
aggiehawg
AG
Offered without comment because it is so persuasive it speaks for itself. An opus from Randy:

quote:
So here is my soon to be apocryphal story about one of the ags' great traditions.

About 30 years ago I was at a friend's house for a neighborhood picnic. Attending said picnic was an elderly man who was the grandfather of one of families on the block. He was probably in his mid-80s and was an A&M grad from the early twenties. The conversation turned to football and he proceeded to regale us with tales of the great Bear Bryant, whom he told us was a longtime **** coach and how they dominated between the wars but the attrition of WWII left their hallowed student body and football team decimated.

We were all interested in his stories of this **** greatness from times past and that prompted tales of great **** traditions like the "12th Man" and the vaunted corp and their intrepid leader Reveille. Finally, we got to the tale of the Bonfire tradition.

He told us how in the early 'aughts' some prominent ****s were into things like burning crosses. He didn't get into the specifics of why ****s were burning the symbol of our Lord and Savior, but he did say that it was an approved activity of 'Good Christian Men' in those days, which meant the ****s were at the forefront of the movement.

Since ****s always strive to be the best, there developed some competition over the cleverness of the crosses being constructed and burned. This proved to be quite a feat as he said these burnings were somewhat clandestine and it required some extra 'effort' to make sure the buildings weren't sabotaged. We kids assumed that other competitive ags must have tried to topple their structures.

Anyway, the competition became frowned upon, or perhaps it was the burning of crosses that became frowned uponit wasn't clear from his story. But the ags wanted to continue to have an outlet for their competitive spirit and they decided that they should put their skills to the test by coming together before the Texas football game and building a mammoth cross and burning it.

Some people felt that the occasion called for burning something 'tu' related. He explained to us that 'tu' was the way ****s refer to that school in Austin. No one could come up with a suitable idea, but that lead to them dropping the cross-burning idea as it could be construed that they were burning the Cross as a matter of idolatry and that was, and always has been, anathema to right and true ****s even to this day. So they settled on constructing a massive bonfire and thus the great tradition was born.
MaroonDynasty
A&M isn't storied? WTF? Out of all the battles a sip could choose to fight, you choose A&M isn't storied?
Beasleyboy
AG
WTF is he even talking about? That made no sense
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Some people felt that the occasion called for burning something 'tu' related. He explained to us that 'tu' was the way ****s refer to that school in Austin. No one could come up with a suitable idea, but that lead to them dropping the cross-burning idea as it could be construed that they were burning the Cross as a matter of idolatry and that was, and always has been, anathema to right and true ****s even to this day. So they settled on constructing a massive bonfire and thus the great tradition was born.
This is my personal favorite. A wooden s***house was always sufficiently "tu related."
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Sips, storied <> elite. Storied <> relevant. Storied <> being a desirable conference partner.

Sips here haven't made one objective argument. Just the usual subjective drivel and elitist hilarious garbage.

One of you sips say you could join the SEC anytime you wanted. That always gets a good laugh.
HECUBUS
AG
Studies show that trolls posting on sports forums pretending to be associated with
rivals of the team associated with said forums when that rivalry no longer exists are some seriously pathetic clowns.

Don't feed the Bozos.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
Offered without comment because it is so persuasive it speaks for itself. An opus from Randy:

quote:
So here is my soon to be apocryphal story about one of the ags' great traditions.

About 30 years ago I was at a friend's house for a neighborhood picnic. Attending said picnic was an elderly man who was the grandfather of one of families on the block. He was probably in his mid-80s and was an A&M grad from the early twenties. The conversation turned to football and he proceeded to regale us with tales of the great Bear Bryant, whom he told us was a longtime **** coach and how they dominated between the wars but the attrition of WWII left their hallowed student body and football team decimated.

We were all interested in his stories of this **** greatness from times past and that prompted tales of great **** traditions like the "12th Man" and the vaunted corp and their intrepid leader Reveille. Finally, we got to the tale of the Bonfire tradition.

He told us how in the early 'aughts' some prominent ****s were into things like burning crosses. He didn't get into the specifics of why ****s were burning the symbol of our Lord and Savior, but he did say that it was an approved activity of 'Good Christian Men' in those days, which meant the ****s were at the forefront of the movement.

Since ****s always strive to be the best, there developed some competition over the cleverness of the crosses being constructed and burned. This proved to be quite a feat as he said these burnings were somewhat clandestine and it required some extra 'effort' to make sure the buildings weren't sabotaged. We kids assumed that other competitive ags must have tried to topple their structures.

Anyway, the competition became frowned upon, or perhaps it was the burning of crosses that became frowned uponit wasn't clear from his story. But the ags wanted to continue to have an outlet for their competitive spirit and they decided that they should put their skills to the test by coming together before the Texas football game and building a mammoth cross and burning it.

Randy is a psychopath. Truth is not his reality.

Ed Tom
AG
Your "storied ways" are all you got. Ironically they're also the reason(s) the schools, who could, left you. Your burnt orange chickens have come home to roost. And it really is a sight to behold.
vettmaster99
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Bonfire started out by burning just a random assortment of stuff. Not sure I see a cross in there....

The guy clearly has some recall bias and he must be confusing a Klan Horn Rally story his great grandpappy Jim Randolph-Duke Crow must of told him as a kid.
Bob Kelso
AG
To be a horn is to downplay anything that resembles a positive image for Texas A&M. These responses are just that -downplay, a coping mechanism to their current failures.

Allowing A&M to project a positive image and sustain success pisses horns off because, as you can see, we have the ability to destroy all of their hopes and dreams. All of which was done indirectly. These dumbasses have been shooting themselves in the foot for some time... Which just accelerated the process even more.

It's pretty ****ing funny, actually.
longhornhere55
quote:
Four large, tradition rich state schools.

Replaced with TCU and West Virginia.

Still sounds stupid even now. I laugh every f-cking time I think about it.

You dumb b-stards.

And you are crowing about the coach you stole from Louisville...the coach that was an assistant for TWENTY-SIX YEARS before anyone would hire him as a head coach....there was a reason.
You just write the jokes at your own expense.

Coach Swagger
19881990 Washington State (GA)
19911992 Wyoming (WR)
19931996 Minnesota (WR)
1997 Minnesota (QB)
19982000 Purdue (WR)
2001 A&M (AHC/WR)
2002 A&M (AHC/OC/WR)
20032005 OU (TE)
20062007 OU (Co OC; WR)
20082011 Houston - C-USA!!!!
2012present - A&M - 2nd place; 4th place; 6th place - Now that's a trend to be proud of!

And that's a resume to brag about!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.