sip recruits sitting on LHN studio

26,004 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by dermdoc
Tom Doniphon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
ESPN's investment in LHN does not in and of itself mean they are being unethical. That changes if and when they become in any way, shape or form unfairly biased toward UT and/or against its rivals.
As for gray area, and specifically dealing with the studio tour by recruits...there is a lot of gray.

I mostly agree. Thanks for answering honestly.
rrj2012
AG
quote:
ESPN's investment in LHN does not in and of itself mean they are being unethical. That changes if and when they become in any way, shape or form unfairly biased toward UT and/or against its rivals.

Have you not been paying attention? They already are
CMack11
Where did Hellraiser go?
Tom Doniphon
Poor hellraiser got his peen smashed.
Tom Doniphon
quote:
Like if the Disney channel, an affiliate, has child actors in Texas shirts? Or if maybe ESPN includes Texas in the "top 25 banner ads" when they're playing Rice and neither are in the top twenty five? Or if ESPN uses the LHN to air High School recruit footage, so as to skirt the fact that Texas was told not to? Are those the types of "bias" we should be on the lookout for?

[This message has been edited by Tom Doniphon (edited 12/13/2011 7:46p).]
texasfight68
quote:
Are those the types of "bias" we should be on the lookout for?

Kiddie actors and banner ads? Really?

You should immediately begin raising venture capital equity to create a start-up venture. Be sure to use as a template for your business model MoveOn.Org and how it monitors Fox News. No episode of Wizards of Waverly will go unwatched. Every re-run of Phineas and Ferb will be monitored. The Sand Hill Road crowd will come running with the best tech options for monitoring both broadcast and online ad delivery channels. You can post your findings online, enlist the aid of well-heeled lobbyists, and profess to be always looking out for the downtrodden and disadvantaged. All the while denying any obsession with UT.

Tom Doniphon
That's cute... but to my questions. At what point do you acknowledge "bias". My issue with the LHN is not so much the "toy" itself as ESPN having a $300+ interest in making sure it's successful. Maybe you see the things I mentioned as "childish"... but I see them as incremental attempts to aid in the success of the LHN.... the lines are awfully fuzzy.

[This message has been edited by Tom Doniphon (edited 12/13/2011 9:37p).]
88jrt06
AG
"68" makes reference to obsession.
texasfight68
Of course ESPN is going to do everything in its power to make the LHN successful! It didn't commit to spending $300 million to see its JV fail did it? If that means product placements, seemingly innocent references, deluge of advertising...whatever. Obviously from my perspective I hope they are wildly successful in promoting their product and hope it translates into additional revenue opportunities and additional market share. Its called business. You guys should try it some time.
rrj2012
AG
So, a direct yes or no answer will suffice here. Is it ethical for the largest sports media outlet to have a vested interest in the success of one out of 120 FBS athletic departments?
BrazosCoBob
I can hardly contain my excitement about our new corch
fingers crossed!!!!
BrazosCoBob
fingers crossed!!!!
BrazosCoBob
fingers crossed!!!!
leftcoastaggie
AG
trouble
AG
You just wasted 3 of your first 5 posts, retard.
etexorange
quote:
Threatening schools to not show their game unless it's on the LHN, axed

Is this in reference to Dollar Bill writing in an email that ESPN threatened Tech?
dermdoc
AG
Guys, parse it all you want.

If it smells this bad, it is.

Don't blame the sips/espn, they just made a business decision.

Blame the NCAA and the Big 12 and any other powers for not doing their jobs.

The inmates are running the asylum, but only at SELECT asylums like tu.

The bright side is 10-20 years ago the Ags would have had to adhere to the Claytie Williams adage, "If you are going to get raped, might as well just lie back and enjoy it".

We are too big and powerful now so we left. Thankfully.

And that is why Mr. Dodds is so pissed and therefore the pettiness with scheduling, etc.

And true fans suffer the most, no more game and you can't even get the damn sip signal.

This same scenario gets played out daily in politics, business, etc.

Old guys with power and big egos.

Kind of sad actually.

[This message has been edited by dermdoc (edited 12/14/2011 7:15a).]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OilSandsAg
Seriously, A&M should convene a group of like minded schools on this matter, and over the next few months creating a working paper on it is in the NCAA member institution's interest to put an end to this sort of stuff.

How easily such a group can be brought together, and its membership will be the best indicator of how much opposition there is to the LHN in the rest of college athletics world.

88jrt06
AG
Way to go, guys.

You just drop-kicked a couple of sip apologists

They joke about fish camp "brainwashing", but you'd think they were all bussed to Bristol
for a paddling/indoctrination "retreat".

...Or they're stupid.
...Or they're scared. (2 quality conf wins in
two years will do that to you.)

They shouldn't just obsess over A&M's reaction.
So much goaltendindg req'd on the nat'l side!

Anyway, nice work. Good to see Hellrazor is still a coward, too.
Sassir Yanchez
And the guy who took the picture is the ref who threw the personal flag on Texas last drive.

And I think I see Lee Harvey Oswalds ghost in the background.

And if you look at the video over your shoulder in a mirror they all sing "Pauls dead".
Tom Doniphon
quote:
texasfight68 posted 2:11p, 12/13/11
quote:
"Depends primarily upon your particular point of view. Personally, I think your ethics argument is weak...." "...ESPN's investment in LHN does not in and of itself mean they are being unethical. That changes if and when they become in any way, shape or form unfairly biased toward UT and/or against its rivals."

AND THEN...
quote:
texasfight68 posted 10:53p, 12/13/11
Of course ESPN is going to do everything in its power to make the LHN successful! It didn't commit to spending $300 million to see its JV fail did it? If that means product placements, seemingly innocent references, deluge of advertising...whatever..." "...Its called business. You guys should try it some time."

Obviously, since we define BIAS differently, you deflect it to "a business decision."

texasfight68
quote:
Is it ethical for the largest sports media outlet to have a vested interest in the success of one out of 120 FBS athletic departments?

Already answered and you promptly supplied a retort.

quote:
under the microscope and scrutiny from all of the athletic programs who don't have an exclusive network

No argument with you there as the entire UT athletic program is now going to be watched very closely. But simply because we are going to be watched shouldn't deter us from walking right up to the line and taking half a step back.

quote:
the pettiness with scheduling, etc.

As I have said before derm, I think the scheduling stuff is very petty, football aside for a moment. I fail to understand why the Olympic and non-revenue sports can't be scheduled. As for football, there are contracts in place until 2018 regarding non-conference games. We have an SEC team on the schedule for the next 2 years. You guys willing to write the check so we can break that contract and play you instead? And don't bother mentioning scheduling UCLA instead of Arkansas in 2014 as that is a one and done arrangement thanks to Arkansas moving our game to 2021. Should we take Notre Dame off the schedule for the ags? BYU? Cal? USC? Scheduling will take some time to get sorted out but the annual football game will resume and more likely than not will occur prior to 2018. I firmly believe the TV contracts for both the Big 12 and SEC which will be renegotiated in the next few years will force the issue and make the game happen.

[This message has been edited by texasfight68 (edited 12/14/2011 9:43a).]

[This message has been edited by texasfight68 (edited 12/14/2011 9:46a).]
CMack11
quote:
Should we take Notre Dame off the schedule for the ags? BYU? Cal? USC?
Most people with an IQ over 12 would probably think more along the lines of New Mexico, Wyoming, New Mexico State, North Texas, Rice, or UTEP. But nice slant.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to keep the horns on the schedule, but I don't think it's necessary. I actually think a break might be good for us.

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/14/2011 10:12a).]
texasfight68
quote:
Most people with an IQ over 12 would probably think more along the lines of New Mexico, Wyoming, New Mexico State, North Texas, Rice, or UTEP.

I was making a "quality opponent" for "quality opponent" argument. Funny that you feel your program is on the same level as the ones you mentioned.
aTm papi
CMack FTW!!!

the sips are quick to mention their marquee games, but won't even look at their gimmes like Wyoming, New Mexico, and Rice!

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002
CMack11
quote:
I was making a "quality opponent" for "quality opponent" argument.
Hey smartass--when you make that argument next time, try using the words 'quality opponent' in your argument. Another intelligent way to discuss this would be to indicate that Texas would only want to replace one quality opponent with another. You and I both know exactly what you were 'trying' to do, and that wasn't it. Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.
quote:
Funny that you feel your program is on the same level as the ones you mentioned.
Is that suppose to be a comeback, or your way of deflecting Texas' fear of scheduling two difficult non-conference games?

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/14/2011 10:56a).]
Bob Kelso
AG
Sips stay in the Big 12 to pad their stats and keep the failing Sip Network.

Quality opponents, my ass. Good luck getting into any national championship game with that joke of a conference.
Bennie Wylie
Lots of butthurt over the LHN in this thread.
candid_longhorn
Thought you guys had "moved on" - Well, apparently not.
dermdoc
AG
Just clearing up lies and misinformation.

If it keeps getting posted I will respond.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
johns77777
Speaking of misinformation, still waiting for those links re (1) Dodds interfering with A&M's Bowl situation and (2) Dodds interfering with A&M's coaching "search."
Tom Doniphon
quote:
Speaking of moving on ... why exactly are you here? Obsess much? West f'ing Virginny doesn't have a board?
trouble
AG
quote:
quote:
Speaking of moving on ... why exactly are you here? Obsess much? West f'ing Virginny doesn't have a board?

It's the kind you hit people with not the kind you post on.
dermdoc
AG
Does Luicci count as a link (per the bowl)?

And I heard from a source I can't name.

I trust the people who told me this.

You can believe what you want.

Really don't care.

Just glad we are us.

And not y'all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.