sip recruits sitting on LHN studio

26,008 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by dermdoc
CMack11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Please post a rule or link pointing to the violation of having potential students view a university building/classroom?
The LHN set belongs to the University of Texas?
rrj2012
AG
CMACK, refer to my post. No matter what they decide about who actually controls LHN, rules are being violated
CMack11
I know. I was just pointing out how ignorant MasonStorm is on this whole situation.

Cue the 'Aggies are jealous' or similar deflections / straw men.
rrj2012
AG
Mason won't touch this thread again, I provided him with the proof that it is a violation. He strikes me as someone that needs a nice tall glass of battery acid to chug
CMack11
Another gem from MasonStorm:
quote:
If the LHN does succeed, the SEC network will never get off the ground.
Dude thinks that the university of Texas, by itself, is a bigger draw than the SEC.

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/13/2011 9:45a).]
The Drizzle
quote:
Bob Williams, managing director of public and media relations for the NCAA, refused to comment on the UConn violation. In general, he said an extra benefit would be anything that is given to a potential recruit that is not offered to all students at the university.

I've taken a tour of the LHN, and I'm pretty sure any current student who wants to take a tour can do that as well.

Thumbs up to 6 pages worth of diatribes about Aggies not caring about the LHN.
rrj2012
AG
Holy shit

How did I miss that? Ladies and gentlemen, if you needed any proof that mason storm attended college nowhere near Austin, that is it. I know a couple of real t sips that believe this whole deal was a disaster from the start, and the t shirts actually believe *****like what mason thinks.
CMack11
quote:
Thumbs up to 6 pages worth of diatribes about Aggies not caring about the LHN
Thanks for funding a Aggie website. You're not obsessed.

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/13/2011 9:48a).]
rrj2012
AG
Dude, do NOT pull the obsession card on an Aggie website THAT YOU PAY FOR ACCESS TO!
rrj2012
AG
quote:
Bob Williams, managing director of public and media relations for the NCAA

Well, there you have it folks. The PR guy is the one who is the utmost authority on violations.
The Drizzle
Deflection. My sources tell me this is the very first thing taught at the A&M Indoctrination Program known as Fish Camp.
rrj2012
AG
quote:
Deflection

Dr. Irony just had a massive hemorrhagic stroke
Bob Kelso
AG
Stfu, Drizzle. Your money goes to the 12th Man Foundation.
CMack11
Driz, did you get to sit in the studio during your tour?
kmw247
quote:
If the LHN does succeed, the SEC network will never get off the ground.

I actually agree with this. If lhn is successful for ESPN schools like LSU, Florida, Alabama and Texas A&M will all get their own network.

CMack11
LHN would have to be successful ASAP. SEC network will get off the ground before that happens, IMO. Conferences are looking at the success of the B1G network as a guide.

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/13/2011 10:10a).]
The Drizzle
quote:
Driz, did you get to sit in the studio during your tour?

No.

Tom Doniphon
quote:
If lhn is successful for ESPN schools like LSU, Florida, Alabama and Texas A&M will all get their own network.

That's a big IF.
Even if it is successful, and I honestly don't see that happening, the regional / national interest of a conference is exponentially greater than the interest in a single school. As much as Texas believes itself to be a national brand, it simply cannot compete with the draw power of 14 universities, some of which also consider themselves to be national brands.
Time will tell...
CMack11
Thank you for being honest, driz.

I agree with Tom. The big key for these guys is viewership and ad money. Cable companies can't afford to keep taking on .40 cents / channel for every single school with a network. 40 channels just for each school doesn't make much sense. 5 major conference channels does.

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/13/2011 10:19a).]
Hellraiser97
quote:
And seriously, you think baylor, tt, tcu, et al declined to play us on their own?

Without input from Mr. Dodds?

Proof?

quote:
When our games in Waco, Lubbock, etc. are their biggest moneymakers?
They do pretty well with Texas and OU coming to town.

quote:
I know of what I speak.

Then post some proof!

quote:
And the way we were treated by Mr. Dodds and Mr. Powers was definitely not how I have been treated by business partners in good faith.

We were basically told that you were texas and this is how it was going to be and you would take care of us.

I assume you are talking about the original Pac-16 concept. I can see why you might have been upset on that, though strangely OU didn't seem to have a problem with it.

quote:
And hellraiser are you actually trying to claim that we would have left with the sip signal?

Laughable on its face.

Do you mean without the LHN rather than with it? If so, then yes. Loftin has said as much. Unless you think he's lying.

quote:
And a diminished ou due to equal revenue sharing.

Somehow I think OU is going to do just fine.

quote:
We will see who fares the best longterm.

Best of luck. You're going to need it.

quote:
Hellraiser, it doesn't strike you as a little hypocritical to keep slamming detmdoc's statements without any real proof from your end to the contrary? We all get that you don't agree but you're fighting with nothing more than conjecture at this point.

What have I stated that was conjecture? Everything I posted related to LHN is backed up in news articles. I have yet to see one article that says we asked for a 50/50 cost split and a 70/30 revenue split as is alleged here (and only on this site).

quote:
Oh, and I love how well you project feelings onto an entire fanbase. This whole 'jealosy' thing is a trip. There is no debate on why we left the conference--y'all are shitty business partners. This has been repeatedly shown by both President Loftin's interview and the emails that the DMN got via a FOIA request. These are easily located on the DMN website. See how I showed what proof I have?

I've read through those (not all, but the highlights) over on shag. Quite illuminating. Hilarious that your AD had no clue you were moving to the SEC an he was getting his info from here!

quote:
Oh, and I LOVE how you guys 'laid the foundation' for the LHN. What, specifically, did you do? Other than make a few phone calls?

A lot of time and money was spent on evaluating the feasibility as well as going through proposals from various groups.

quote:
Why did this devolve into an aggies vs. the LHn argument anyway? Do you horns enjoy skirting recruiting laws? I thought you guys were the bastions of morality.

Because you guys are still crying about LHN. I don't remember anyone saying we were the bastion of morality. We're not as evil as you make us out to be, but we aren't perfect either.

It's funny though, you make a big deal about us pushing the envelope. Were you that upset that OU and Georgia pushed the envelope and took broadcast rights back from the NCAA too?

quote:

Yes it is a violation. Remember a few years ago when UCONN got in trouble for giving recruits tours of the ESPN headquarters right down the road?

I'm pretty sure that ESPN's studio (which they own) is not on UConn's campus unlike the LHN studio, which is on our campus and owned by us.

quote:
CMACK, refer to my post. No matter what they decide about who actually controls LHN, rules are being violated

Your post was incorrect. Now if they had appeared on a broadcast or something, you'd have a violation.

quote:
Dude thinks that the university of Texas, by itself, is a bigger draw than the SEC.

I believe he was referring to the conjecture that if LHN is successful, the big boys of the SEC will follow suite.

Hook 'Em Horns

Hellraiser97

--

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." -- Davy Crockett
texasfight68
quote:
Please post a rule or link pointing to the violation of having potential students view a university building/classroom?

The LHN set belongs to the University of Texas?

The studio is not a university building/classroom in the sense of being located in either a building owned or leased by UT. However, the contract with ESPN is quite clear in that both parties intend the studio to be used by various UT departments for educational purposes and it is my understanding that it has indeed been used in that sense by the journalism department. Thus, the comparison to the UConn recruit's tour of Bristol is not exactly the same situation. Requires perhaps a bit of tortured logic to justify a tour by potential recruits (such as they may major in journalism). I'd guess we'll not be seeing any future tours.
dermdoc
AG
Are you saying Loftin has said that we would have left if the sip signal had never started?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tom Doniphon
TF68 and hellraiser....
You guys disagree on who owns the LHN property / studio? Your posts offer differing opinions....
EDIT: I'm scrolling on a phone and may be misreading... but it appears that way from the two posts above.

[This message has been edited by Tom Doniphon (edited 12/13/2011 1:24p).]
texasfight68
quote:
TF68 and hellraiser....
You guys disagree on who owns the LHN property / studio? Your posts offer differing opinions....
EDIT: I'm scrolling on a phone and may be misreading... but it appears that way from the two posts above.

The LHN studio is not on the UT campus. It is located in an office building adjacent to campus and is owned by a private equity firm.
Tom Doniphon
Texas fight:
quote:
The studio is not a university building/classroom in the sense of being located in either a building owned or leased by UT.

EDIT:
quote:
The LHN studio is not on the UT campus. It is located in an office building adjacent to campus and is owned by a private equity firm.

Hellraiser:
quote:
I'm pretty sure that ESPN's studio (which they own) is not on UConn's campus unlike the LHN studio, which is on our campus and owned by us.

[This message has been edited by Tom Doniphon (edited 12/13/2011 1:32p).]
CMack11
quote:
A lot of time and money was spent on evaluating the feasibility as well as going through proposals from various groups.
Proof?

quote:
What have I stated that was conjecture? Everything I posted related to LHN is backed up in news articles.
Proof? Direct me to the articles, please.
quote:
I have yet to see one article that says we asked for a 50/50 cost split and a 70/30 revenue split as is alleged here (and only on this site).
Good angle. Blast dermdoc for the 70/30 split and ask for proof, when the clear reality is that nobody knows what the split would've been. You argue like you are certain it wasn't, when in reality you have no idea.

quote:
I've read through those (not all, but the highlights) over on shag. Quite illuminating. Hilarious that your AD had no clue you were moving to the SEC an he was getting his info from here!
Are you a politician?

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/13/2011 1:44p).]
texasfight68
quote:
The joint ESPN/University of Texas cable channel, which is set to launch Aug. 26 and will provide round-the-clock coverage of Longhorns sports, will be based out of an eight-story office building at the University Park development, 3300 Interstate 35 N. The site was selected, network officials said, because of its proximity to the UT campus and because there is room to expand.
CMack11
quote:
Your post was incorrect. Now if they had appeared on a broadcast or something, you'd have a violation.
Any student has the right to go sit in the LHN studios, which, as '68 just proved are not on campus and not owned by the university of Texas?
Tom Doniphon
Ok, TF...your most recent posts seem to point to you being somewhat reasonable and fact oriented. That being said, can you see, based on the two differing statements I quoted earlier, how the LHN may not pass the "smell test" of ethics or seem to skirt lots of "gray area" with some?
CMack11
quote:
quote:
And seriously, you think baylor, tt, tcu, et al declined to play us on their own?

Without input from Mr. Dodds?

Proof?
Methinks Hellraiser doesn't know what the words 'you think' mean. Maybe DeLoss should have one of his cronies write an article about it so Hellraiser will know how to handle this matter.
CMack11
quote:
I hope nobody sprained a wrist going through all those proposals. Laid the foundation indeed.
CMack11
quote:
the LHN studio, which is on our campus and owned by us.
No, it's not. On both counts. Dude, you are one serious moron. You're trying to argue all this crap and you don't even know WHO OWNS THE NETWORK OR WHERE IT'S LOCATED. Not good, bro.

As to my 'proof' you so desperately require, just Google it. I found the answer in two seconds.

[This message has been edited by CMack11 (edited 12/13/2011 2:10p).]
texasfight68
quote:
Ok, TF...your most recent posts seem to point to you being somewhat reasonable and fact oriented. That being said, can you see, based on the two differing statements I quoted earlier, how the LHN may not pass the "smell test" of ethics or seem to skirt lots of "gray area" with some?

Depends primarily upon your particular point of view. Personally, I think your ethics argument is weak. Does CBS have a vested interest in the success of SEC football? Do their studio hosts and broadcast announcers have any ethical lapses when they proclaim Alabama to be clearly superior to Okie State for a spot in the national championship game? CBS gains financially via high advertising revenue if it promotes the product it broadcasts as being superior to all others (sure its a hard case to argue otherwise recently). How about NBC's contract with Notre Dame? ESPN's investment in LHN does not in and of itself mean they are being unethical. That changes if and when they become in any way, shape or form unfairly biased toward UT and/or against its rivals.

As for gray area, and specifically dealing with the studio tour by recruits...there is a lot of gray. The moment anyone claims to know how to interpret the NCAA handbook is the moment they show themselves to be idiots. However, as I said in a previous post, the optics here are not good, requires some tortured logic, and I'd bet the tours by recruits end.
dermdoc
AG
Hellraiser seems to come from the school of thought that if you type more and "louder" it makes it true.

From your handle, were you one of those orange and white body painted guys that my longhorn friends were embarrassed of?

Might explain it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CMack11
He definitely doesn't come from the school of knowledge or truth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.