sip recruits sitting on LHN studio

26,003 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by dermdoc
Jefe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Seriously sips, do you honestly and truly believe that the largest sports media outlet having a vested interest in your success to the tune of $300 million is in any way shape or form ethical?

No, but it is not against the rules. If you think Texas isn't going to try to push the envelope and skirt the rules to be on top then you must not know jack about Texas or are just in denial. Is it fair? No. Is it legal? Yes.

quote:
Do you seriously think no conflict of interest will ever occur?

There is going to be a lot of favoritism towards Texas. According to everyone not named Texas, the media has always been on Texas' side (BOMC) so why is this surprising to you? At least now most of the sunshine pumping will be on the LHN where hardly anyone can see it.
Huktaz04
This is college football now guys, get used to it.
rrj2012
AG
Good for you Jefe, you are one of the few sips man enough to admit that you are too cowardly to just line up and play and will actively work so the deck is stacked in your favor no matter what
Hellraiser97
quote:
Good for you Jefe, you are one of the few sips man enough to admit that you are too cowardly to just line up and play and will actively work so the deck is stacked in your favor no matter what

You act as if A&M never does anything to stack the deck in its favor. Off the top of my head:

1) hosting state 7 on 7 tourney
2) joining with Texas, NU and OU to demand unequal revenue distribution in the Big12 from 1996 until your exit

Hook 'Em Horns

Hellraiser97

--

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." -- Davy Crockett
Tom Doniphon
quote:
We offered you to take the risk with us. You chose not to. We got all the reward. You cried about it.

please explain to me what "risk" texas now has? You are talking about two entirely different ventures, which is ok, just f'ing acknowlege it instead of being a snivelling
b! tch.
There will come a day, in the not so distant future, where the rewards of the LHN will be outweighed by the "headaches" and "perceived recruiting violations." Write that down and book it. It took the NCAA forever to catch up to Miami and to a lesser degree tOSU...but if you think for a second that the LHN doesn't put you under a microscope, I have ocean frontage in Oklahoma to sell you. We shall see how vehemently you're all willing to support this "toy" when that day comes.
Tom Doniphon
quote:
You act as if A&M never does anything to stack the deck in its favor.

Every university should be allowed to make the best financial decisions / recruiting decisions it can. Find one post where I've stated contrary to that.
BUT...a business relationship with the world's largest sports media outlet is undoubtedly unethical - especially if that "outlet" is on hook for $15M a year - they then have a monetary interest in seeing you succeed. If you don't see that by now, you never will and your orange colored shades are working well. But the sad reality is, everyone outside the 40 acres in austin sees it for what it is.
rrj2012
AG
Aw, that's cute hellraiser!

The oh so common tactic of sips to reference a 7 on 7 tournament when almost every other actual UIL championship is on your campus.

Try again dick breath
dermdoc
AG
Sips will not play anything unless they have an unfair advantage.

Never changes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Winston Wolfe
quote:
Sips will not play anything unless they have an unfair advantage.

If you want equality, go to a cemetery.
longhornfan99
LOL..the aggie obsession with UT continues. You start to get the feeling the entire school was built to spite UT. Aggies have the world's largest case of p'enis envy, and it is manifested in everything A&M does.

Aggies need to get over the obsession with UT(or can you?). If the world were ever to get an enema, College Station is where you would connect the hose.

All you need to remember is 75-37-5 ... Don't go way to the SEC mad...Just go away!!!
CMack11
Thanks, rook. It might do you done good to get over your obsession with everything UT as well, considering you have no legitimate affiliation with the school.
Tom Doniphon
quote:
You start to get the feeling the entire school was built to spite UT

Except we're older. Nice try f@ ggot.
rrj2012
AG
quote:
Except we're older

he's a T shirt dude, don't expect him to know anything about either institution outside of football performance post 2005 + what he reads on OBGYN
longhornfan99
come on TOM...you are not that dumb are you?

Forget the fact that when the Texas Legislature back in the 1870's passed legislation to start a state university, they also decided to have a subsidiary branch of the main school(university of Texas) that would teach agriculture and mechanics. Aggies love to say their school is older, from where they get that i don't know....the fact is, the State intended A&M to be a branch of UT. They are like the afterbirth from the original creation.

Tom Doniphon
quote:
Aggies love to say their school is older, from where they get that i don't know....

I googled "university of texas" and saw you were founded in 1883... on Texas' home page, the "about us" section. Check it out yourself, beotch.
rrj2012
AG
So Tom, what you're saying is that 1876 is in fact BEFORE 1883? Nifty
MasonStorm
The "E" stands for entertainment not Ethics

Since when is sportscenter ethical journalism?

Replace the word "Texas" with SEC and this thread doesn't miss a beat.

Is the LHN an advantage for Texas? Of course it is. Why would you do it if it wasn't. Is Kyle field an advantage compared to other facilities? Of course it is.

Still waiting on a link to the broken rule. The amount of pure envy is amazing. The fact that ESPN views Texas a lot closer to what Longhorn fans think of the program than Aggs do is tough for proud Aggs to handle (as evidence by some eloquent Aggs on this thread). The hurt comes from knowing that ESPN is a long way away from ever making the Aggs this kind of offer.

And Bryne is at fault for not seeing the potential in an investment of a network. He was broke and all he heard was "investment" and "risk". Did he hire a professional firm (like Dodds did) to actually asses the huge buisness implications? No, he later came back to the table asking to join the party but the ship had sailed. A&M did purchase a study to show that they had little nationwide marketability. But aligning yourself with one of the most popular schools in the country with a one of a kind network couldn't possibly raise the athletic departments profile, could it?

Bryne was too busy trimming fat, over paying carnival sports and giving himself and Sherm a raise to even see past the next week let alone 10 yrs down the road.

If the LHN does succeed, the SEC network will never get off the ground.

[This message has been edited by MasonStorm (edited 12/13/2011 2:29a).]
dermdoc
AG
Outright lies masonstorm.

Not at all how it happened, but I know you won't believe my story.

Problem for you is your story is based on what you have heard or assumed.

Mine is based on my knowledge of the stuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hellraiser97
quote:
please explain to me what "risk" texas now has?

None now, but that's not the point. The point was that we took the risk when we started laying the down the groundwork, started accepting bids. The reward turned out to be more than we could have hoped for, but the reward never would have been realized if we had not put the groundwork in in the first place. You guys decided that even exploring the idea wasn't worth it, which is fine, but then you cry about the end result not being fair. You want the reward without taking the risk.

quote:
You are talking about two entirely different ventures, which is ok, just f'ing acknowlege it instead of being a snivelling
b! tch.

No, we're not talking about two entirely different ventures, desperate as you are to paint it as such. We are talking about an idea that, like most projects in business, began with one set of assumptions and realized different results.

quote:
There will come a day, in the not so distant future, where the rewards of the LHN will be outweighed by the "headaches" and "perceived recruiting violations." Write that down and book it. It took the NCAA forever to catch up to Miami and to a lesser degree tOSU...but if you think for a second that the LHN doesn't put you under a microscope, I have ocean frontage in Oklahoma to sell you. We shall see how vehemently you're all willing to support this "toy" when that day comes.

Don't hold your breath.

quote:
Every university should be allowed to make the best financial decisions / recruiting decisions it can. Find one post where I've stated contrary to that.
BUT...a business relationship with the world's largest sports media outlet is undoubtedly unethical - especially if that "outlet" is on hook for $15M a year - they then have a monetary interest in seeing you succeed. If you don't see that by now, you never will and your orange colored shades are working well. But the sad reality is, everyone outside the 40 acres in austin sees it for what it is.

Every conference has a business relationship with major media outlets. Think CBS doesn't have an incentive to keep the 'SEC is the best' line going?

quote:

Aw, that's cute hellraiser!

The oh so common tactic of sips to reference a 7 on 7 tournament when almost every other actual UIL championship is on your campus.

Try again dick breath

As usual, the point goes right over your head. The 7 on 7 doesn't really effect us as we have plenty of recruiting advantages that more than offset it, but how does it being held in College Station every year affect Baylor, Tech, TCU, UH? Even OU and OSU? It definitely gives you an advantage over all of them, but none of you see to have a problem with it. It's just like the unequal revenue sharing in the Big12. You had a problem with Texas getting more than you, but you didn't seem to have a problem taking more than the little 5, Tech and OSU.

You guys are all for equality...... so long as it requires no sacrifice on your part.

Hook 'Em Horns

Hellraiser97

--

Hellraiser97
quote:
Outright lies masonstorm.

Not at all how it happened, but I know you won't believe my story.

Problem for you is your story is based on what you have heard or assumed.

Mine is based on my knowledge of the stuff.

So tell us how it is then, because pretty much everything he posted can back backed up with media articles.

Hook 'Em Horns

Hellraiser97

--

dermdoc
AG
Posted several times but will rehash.

DD approached BB about a regional network based on olympic sports only.

Wanted us to share the startup costs at 50/50 with the sips getting 70% of the profit.

Thought it was a bad deal and declined.

Deloss NEVER approached BB again until the sip signal was revealed.

With the complicit backing of the bevo 12.

We had no idea what the money or scope of the signal would be.

Anything else is an outright lie.

But believe what you want to believe.

And that is why we decided we could no longer do business with our supposed business "partners".

Fine.

You go your way, and we will go ours.

But yet you are still here.

Focus on wvu.
dermdoc
AG
And please show me ANY link or article that says Mr. Dodds approached BB after the initial stuff as masonstorm said.

Bottom line is Mr. Dodds made his business decision and we made ours.

But to say that anything other than his actions were responsible for us leaving is an outright lie.

No business "parternership" can exist in the manner that Mr. Dodds wanted it to exist.
dermdoc
AG
And hellraiser, I have no problem with Mr. Dodds pursuing the best business deals for tu.

But there are consequences to every deal.

Mr. dodds had no idea that we would actually leave.

Which is why he got pissed and petty about any Texas schools scheduling us in the future.

Which is his right.

Very small, but his right.

The problem is, he has now tied his and tu's entire future around the sip signal.

Still too early to tell how that will play out.

IMHO, he had a great deal and situation and got greedy.

We shall see.

[This message has been edited by dermdoc (edited 12/13/2011 7:08a).]
Hellraiser97
quote:

DD approached BB about a regional network based on olympic sports only.

I'm never sure what people mean by Olympic sports. Basketball and baseball are Olympic sports, but they are revenue sports, so not sure if you are including those there. They were definitely going to be part of the 'Flagship Network' though.

quote:
Wanted us to share the startup costs at 50/50 with the sips getting 70% of the profit.

I have seen sharing the start up costs plenty of places, but not once has anyone ever posted a shred of proof that Texas would get 70% of the profit. It's a fabrication of the posters here.

quote:
Thought it was a bad deal and declined.

No doubt that he declined, and I can see why. Your AD had just borrowed money from the University to keep the department afloat, no way he could justify sinking money into an unproven venture. I don't blame Bryne for not going forward with it, I don't think he had any other options, but its incorrect for A&M fans to act like you never had a chance to flesh this thing out with us.

quote:
Deloss NEVER approached BB again until the sip signal was revealed.

With the complicit backing of the bevo 12.

We had no idea what the money or scope of the signal would be.

Anything else is an outright lie.

No one has ever said the Deloss approached Bryne again. Bryne DID approach Deloss last Fall though, but as he said, the ship had sailed. At that point, though no one knew that ESPN would come in with their offer, it was widely reported that Texas was taking bids and that Texas expected to net somewhere between $1MM and $3MM a year. Deloss smartly didn't see the need for A&M at that point.

quote:
And that is why we decided we could no longer do business with our supposed business "partners".

According to your President, as soon as NU and CU left the Big12, he was looking for a way out and that never changed. Remember his quote of saying he was only committed to the Big12 'as it is now' (IE before NU and CU left), which was well before the ESPN deal was even rumored.

quote:
And please show me ANY link or article that says Mr. Dodds approached BB after the initial stuff as masonstorm said.

Never said he did, but you guys act like Deloss approaching Bryne initially and the ESPN deal were two completely unrelated events, when in fact the ESPN deal was simply the culmination of the events that started with NU and UT looking into a conference network back in 2005 and included Deloss approaching Bryne.

quote:
Bottom line is Mr. Dodds made his business decision and we made ours.

Correct, which is why all this butthurtness over LHN is confusing.

quote:
But to say that anything other than his actions were responsible for us leaving is an outright lie.

Ha! You really believe that? Loftin wanted to leave before LHN was even close to being announced. As soon as CU and NU decided to bolt, your admin wanted no part of the Big12, despite with Bryne would go on to post.

quote:
No business "parternership" can exist in the manner that Mr. Dodds wanted it to exist.

Sure it can, as evidenced that the Big12 is alive and well.

quote:
And hellraiser, I have no problem with Mr. Dodds pursuing the best business deals for tu.

But there are consequences to every deal.

Mr. dodds had no idea that we would actually leave.

I agree that he didn't think you would actually leave, but again LHN was a scapegoat, nothing more.

quote:
Which is why he got pissed and petty about any Texas schools scheduling us in the future.

He doesn't control Tech, TCU, SMU, UH, Rice, Baylor's scheduling. He smartly cut you off from us, and everyone else realized it was in their best interest as well.

quote:
The problem is, he has now tied his and tu's entire future around the sip signal.

Still too early to tell how that will play out.

IMHO, he had a great deal and situation and got greedy.

We shall see.

Even if LHN turns into a colossal failure, it isn't going to hurt us in the long run. Texas will always be a name school (as is OU and A&M), and have options for where it wants to play.

Hook 'Em Horns

Hellraiser97

--

dermdoc
AG
The only reason that there is any "parternership" and a conference remaining is because nobody else can leave.

And seriously, you think baylor, tt, tcu, et al declined to play us on their own?

Without input from Mr. Dodds?

When our games in Waco, Lubbock, etc. are their biggest moneymakers?

Sorry, but that stretches reason.

But believe what you want to believe.

I know of what I speak.

And the way we were treated by Mr. Dodds and Mr. Powers was definitely not how I have been treated by business partners in good faith.

We were basically told that you were texas and this is how it was going to be and you would take care of us.

Not a good "partnership"
dermdoc
AG
And hellraiser are you actually trying to claim that we would have left with the sip signal?

Laughable on its face.

Look, both sides got what they wanted.

Sips got a conference that everybody has to do what they say and an unfair advantage with tyhe sip signal.

And a diminished ou due to equal revenue sharing.

We got away from tu and went to the bes sports conference(and richest) in the US.

We will see who fares the best longterm.

Bye.
CMack11
Ahh, the 'circular' LHN argument again. Why we waste our time on this I have no idea.

Hellraiser, it doesn't strike you as a little hypocritical to keep slamming detmdoc's statements without any real proof from your end to the contrary? We all get that you don't agree but you're fighting with nothing more than conjecture at this point.

Oh, and I love how well you project feelings onto an entire fanbase. This whole 'jealosy' thing is a trip. There is no debate on why we left the conference--y'all are shitty business partners. This has been repeatedly shown by both President Loftin's interview and the emails that the DMN got via a FOIA request. These are easily located on the DMN website. See how I showed what proof I have?

We aren't jealous. We think your school is led by *****s. If you got your head out of the sand, you would find that many In the nation feel similar. Why do you feel that we are jealous? Is it because we continue to find ways you abuse your power with the LHN even though we are leaving? Same thing with the very tired 'fair' argument. You guys pick and choose talking points not shown by our leadership and try to pick them apart. It's a straw man argument. Nobody said we wanted fair play. We said we don't like doing business with y'all because you are backstabbing *****s. There's a difference. In my opinion, the jealousy thing is purely ap you can hide your head in the sand about the way your leadership has handled themselves.

Oh, and I LOVE how you guys 'laid the foundation' for the LHN. What, specifically, did you do? Other than make a few phone calls?
CMack11
Why did this devolve into an aggies vs. the LHn argument anyway? Do you horns enjoy skirting recruiting laws? I thought you guys were the bastions of morality.
MasonStorm
Well they did hire IMG to do research on a network (as u can see in the contract they got a yearly cut). They also negotiated Fox vs ESPN and we all know how that turned out.

A little more than saying "No thanks that won't work, Whoop"
MasonStorm
Please post a rule or link pointing to the violation of having potential students view a university building/classroom? Still waiting. I see all news outlets are running with the story.

Please point out how this is a violation and leave out all of the crying self sanctimonious ethical arguments that only exist on this board.
CMack11
quote:
Well they did hire IMG to do research on a network (as u can see in the contract they got a yearly cut). They also negotiated Fox vs ESPN and we all know how that turned out.

A little more than saying "No thanks that won't work, Whoop"
Little being the key word.
CMack11
quote:

Please point out how this is a violation and leave out all of the crying self sanctimonious ethical arguments that only exist on this board.
Are you a blissful man, MasonStorm?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
It's Tuesday. Has this taken a turn toward the Big Red Motors outcome yet?
rrj2012
AG
Yes it is a violation. Remember a few years ago when UCONN got in trouble for giving recruits tours of the ESPN headquarters right down the road?

So we have the same company involved here, only this studio is in austin, and dedicated to only one university. But the t shirts (plus hell raiser) will continue to argue what Ketch and dodds told them to.
rrj2012
AG
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3289808

Ah, here it is. So it seems that it IS a violation to arrange for recruits to tour an ESPN facility. Now, here's where things get complicated for you worthless sacks of shit

Is the LHN an extension of tu? You all argued til you were blue in the face that it is not, so it was ok to show HS games. But it turns out, that a separate entity (By the precedent set by the NCAA here) ALSO cannot be involved in recruiting. So either way, rules are being violated. I guess it's just up to you to decide which ones.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.