Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

258,513 Views | 1828 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TTUArmy
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
newb question. where do you guys store your physical purchases? i want to start buying some this year i think, just wondering about how to best secure them.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Someplace nobody will ever find them unless they are me.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
AG
sts7049 said:

newb question. where do you guys store your physical purchases? i want to start buying some this year i think, just wondering about how to best secure them.

Junk silver in safe. Graded coins or gold. In safety deposit boxes
maddiedou
abram97
AG
maddiedou said:

sts7049 said:

Junk silver in safe. Graded coins or gold. In safety deposit boxes
FBI is being sued for raiding those boxes and taking what was inside. Possibly not as safe as once thought.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jabin
sts7049 said:

It's a real issue and possibly the biggest issue to owning physical.

If you do hide it somewhere, you really need to let at least one other person know where it is in case something happens to you. Of course, once you let that person know, you completely blown your security.

People are constantly finding gold or other hoards that were buried in the ground hundreds or even thousands of years ago. It is really, really difficult for even the person burying the gold to remember exactly where they buried it and to find it again (the buried gold is relatively tiny, and locations change - location trees get bigger or removed, and other location markers change as well). And, if something happens to them, it is virtually impossible for anyone to intentionally find it again, even if they have a general idea where it's buried.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I have a good friend whose grandfather passed away 20 years ago. They knew he had a hoard of Krugerrands hidden somewhere but could not locate them. I forget the clue, but they eventually figured out (fortunately before they sold it) that he had stuffed them into the pipe bumper on his 3/4 ton truck.
techno-ag
AG
Another possibility: https://texasdepository.com/
sts7049
AG
techno-ag said:

sounds interesting but i'm not in that area so it doesn't work for me.

i thought about a bank safe deposit box but putting them somewhere attached to a business doesn't feel that secure.

i guess i need some land to bury it in
maddiedou
AG
techno-ag said:

That looks like an interesting place and this is just a question since somebody posted above about it

Can the FBI infiltrate these boxes also
maddiedou
techno-ag
AG
maddiedou said:

techno-ag said:

That looks like an interesting place and this is just a question since somebody posted above about it

Can the FBI infiltrate these boxes also

I would imagine with a warrant they can search whatever property they want.
Bocephus
AG
sts7049 said:

A place where you can quickly access them if the excrement hits the oscillating blades.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
oklaunion
That was my first thought as well.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Gold over $2200 per ounce.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty said:

Gold over $2200 per ounce.

Gold - $2,500 by year end.
Silver - $27-28 by year end.
Maintaining Au to Ag ratio.
Keep stacking the shiny.
jagvocate
AG
Got a call from my parents (mid-80s) this morning. "We just want to thank you." [Very unlike them to lead off a call with a note of thanks instead of a complaint about what is wrong, somewhere, somehow]. "It's the first time in forever that we've put our money into something that's really worked, and hasn't hurt us."

I got them into stacking gold back in 2018. After a predetermined amount of gold purchased they've been stacking silver.

I reiterated that the market can do crazy things at any time, especially in an emerging bull market (the market "bull" likes to "buck" the weak hands off). But I'm pretty confident we aren't going back to $1300 gold anytime soon.

Not going to lie, it felt good. We agreed to both keep stacking until the government passes a responsible budget :-)
hopeandrealchange
jagvocate said:

Got a call from my parents (mid-80s) this morning. "We just want to thank you." [Very unlike them to lead off a call with a note of thanks instead of a complaint about what is wrong, somewhere, somehow]. "It's the first time in forever that we've put our money into something that's really worked, and hasn't hurt us."

I got them into stacking gold back in 2018. After a predetermined amount of gold purchased they've been stacking silver.

I reiterated that the market can do crazy things at any time, especially in an emerging bull market (the market "bull" likes to "buck" the weak hands off). But I'm pretty confident we aren't going back to $1300 gold anytime soon.

Not going to lie, it felt good. We agreed to both keep stacking until the government passes a responsible budget :-)

Looks like you will keep stacking forever.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Silver over $26 and gold approaching $2,300.
topher06
Anyone ever sold to SDBullion? I assume there are hidden fees in what they offer and/or you're on the hook for insured shipping.
Outdoorag011
Let's travel back to 2016. During that time when silver was $14-$16 I spent probably 90% of the dollars I allocate to precious metals on silver. Gold was $1050-$1100 at the same time. I think looking back I would still buy mostly silver (silver was what I mostly could afford), but maybe drop the percentage down to 70% and allocate more to gold. Either way…. I'm still happy with my purchases, just fun to look back and try to remember my thought process. Anyone else do the same thing, or maybe bought more gold than silver?
jagvocate
AG
No, but hidden fees seems very different than how SD Bullion usually operates. Main thing with them and everyone else online is their "spot price" quoted is slanted slightly favorably to the dealer whether buying or selling
Aggiemike96
AG
topher06 said:

Anyone ever sold to SDBullion? I assume there are hidden fees in what they offer and/or you're on the hook for insured shipping.
What do you have and where are you located? Might close a deal with someone here.
Mas89
AG

Not sure what the Christmas gifted Krugerrand and chain cost in 1975, but I bet it has appreciated nicely. Going back to the bank safe deposit box where it was recently re discovered.
redsquirrelAG
AG
This is it. Dollar collapse on deck!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Don't click the link if you don't wanna hear Brad Pitt say the F bomb.

Bocephus
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Don't click the link if you don't wanna hear Brad Pitt say the F bomb.

One of the few movies that is good even without comparing it to the book. I do not believe it is 40,000, BUT it is a number in the tens of thousands
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
topher06
Thinking about selling a couple of 100oz Germania Mint bars.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That's awful, but I was more pointing to the "just don't dance" part. A lot of us have made bets against the dollar, and when (not if, when) those bets pay off, there's going to be a lot of hurt to go around. Just remember that.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Gold over $2,300 and silver over $27.
TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty said:

That's awful, but I was more pointing to the "just don't dance" part. A lot of us have made bets against the dollar, and when (not if, when) those bets pay off, there's going to be a lot of hurt to go around. Just remember that.

You're right. I'm Tceh though. So rushing the field and shoving a goal post in someone's eye just feels right. I'll try to straighten up and act like I've been there more than once...next time.
ChiefKiefton
Metals are going strong today!
Heineken-Ashi
I just want to point out, that there is a scenario where the dollar and metals can rise together.

Imagine a world where inflation runs hot, and at the same time, due to a sizeable develeraging of anything remotely tied to debt, the dollar is getting stronger as rates remain high. Inflation in money and hard assets at the same time as deflation. It's something we've never experienced because we've always had a central bank stepping in to manipulate natural cycles. That same central bank, along with and in partnership with incredibly reckless government, has kicked the natural cycle can so far down the road, that the next time we experience a global equity selloff could trigger this rare occurrence.

In a deleveraging, cash is king. But during inflationary periods, hard commodities and metals are king.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
jagvocate
AG
Silver > $27 again this morning
jagvocate
AG
Silver pushing $28, overcame a massive a.m. slam by the bullion banks, and this thread is crickets. Great sentiment indicator! Enjoy
drmwvr
AG
FOMO hasn't begun
TTUArmy
Heineken-Ashi said:

I just want to point out, that there is a scenario where the dollar and metals can rise together.

Imagine a world where inflation runs hot, and at the same time, due to a sizeable develeraging of anything remotely tied to debt, the dollar is getting stronger as rates remain high. Inflation in money and hard assets at the same time as deflation. It's something we've never experienced because we've always had a central bank stepping in to manipulate natural cycles. That same central bank, along with and in partnership with incredibly reckless government, has kicked the natural cycle can so far down the road, that the next time we experience a global equity selloff could trigger this rare occurrence.

In a deleveraging, cash is king. But during inflationary periods, hard commodities and metals are king.

Are you talking about a stronger dollar due to a collapse in M2? That would be a lot of debt, whether written off or paid off, going up in smoke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.