Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

265,177 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TTUArmy
topher06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I say I'm adding, I'm still new at this. I added 1oz of gold and for silver I buy a pretty wide variety of sizes
jagvocate
AG
Another week, another SD Bullion silver purchase

Post removed:
by user
redsquirrelAG
AG
Fyi apmex has a bullion card.

0% Apr on 1 yr purchases.

We are near the end of these prices folks.

I'm maxing it out.

1 oz Kruggards and more junk
topher06
Are any of you guys buying silver eagles at these crazy markups? Or just going with other stuff. I just can't get behind 60% premiums
aunuwyn08
AG
Not justifying the markup, but bullion strike eagles are on track for lowest mintage since like 2007.
jagvocate
AG
I try to get the most ounces of usable silver for the fiat dollar. Right now that has me in kilos, 10oz's, and silver rounds (not sovereign coins).

Post removed:
by user
topher06
FAT SEXY said:

I'm probably pushing close to 2000ozt of Ag and only 7ozt of it is ASE's.
That's sort of what I figured. I think I probably have around 400oz Ag, but only 20oz are ASE (that I bought back around 2010 before the premiums went way up). Just seems senseless to pay that level of premium.
jagvocate
AG
I need to slow down and do an inventory one of these days

jagvocate
AG
Don't forget to buy some platinum too.

TXAggie4Christ
AG
jagvocate said:

Another week, another SD Bullion silver purchase

Does SD Bullion send the bars in those sleeves or is that a side purchase? Thanks for any storage insight
topher06
It is sort of feeling right now like gold/silver are less inflationary hedges and more of collectibles/novelties. Huge inflation but collapsing price.
jagvocate
AG
That's how they came from SD Bullion

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
topher06 said:

It is sort of feeling right now like gold/silver are less inflationary hedges and more of collectibles/novelties. Huge inflation but collapsing price.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
AG
topher06 said:

Are any of you guys buying silver eagles at these crazy markups? Or just going with other stuff. I just can't get behind 60% premiums

Silver eagles are just another one ounce coin that has some collectibility but not worth the price difference if wanting silver

Also when you get ready to sale the eagle coin you will have a hard time of getting spot unless it has been graded

I did not know I was a ASE buyer until i was cataloguing my coins for my kids I am not that happy that I wasted my money on ASE

Edit. Not to say that ASEs are not a pretty coin to have or hand down to kids just not my preference and this is my opinion that only applies to me and how I collect
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Quote:

Also when you get ready to sale the eagle coin you will have a hard time of getting spot unless it has been graded

My LCS is probably paying close to $10 or $11 over spot price for ungraded ASE's. SD Bullion will pay $7 over spot for 2022's at this link:

https://sdbullion.com/sell
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
topher06
I'd definitely pay over spot for ungraded ASEs
HarleySpoon
AG
Have an unopened monster box of 2009 ASE'a…..does that matter to their value?
maddiedou
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Have an unopened monster box of 2009 ASE'a…..does that matter to their value?

unopened monster box has a different value because most would grade ms69/70 and never handled by hands

So yes
maddiedou
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Quote:

My LCS is probably paying close to $10 or $11 over spot price for ungraded ASE's. SD Bullion will pay $7 over spot for 2022's at this link:

https://sdbullion.com/sell

Wow. If my math is correct is that not 32 percent over silver value

I mean it is just a silver ounce stamped 2022 but I guess if people are buying more power to SD bullion

maddiedou
AG
Here are a few of my ASEs.

And let me retract something the reason I do not like ASE is because they have such a wide range of prices and I dont have the books to decipher how much a coin should be worth

If you notice
Plain silver eagle ms 70
First strike ms 70 silver eagle
First strike type1 ms 70
Early release heradic eagle T-1

Just so much variety in how they are graded
topher06
maddiedou said:

And let me retract something the reason I do not like ASE is because they have such a wide range of prices and I dont have the books to decipher how much a coin should be worth

If you notice
Plain silver eagle ms 70
First strike type1 ms 70

Looks to me like there is almost no variety in how they're graded, they just all get MS70 slapped on them. Maybe I missed the sarcasm?
maddiedou
AG
Then you have these and what is their value the one has a authenticated box and pamplet
The one also has a authenticated but in a plastic
And then the one thT say authenticated proof in a sealed plastic container (and the wording on that container
AUTHENTICATED PROOF IS A QVC crap that they put
On these containers to sale to un educated buyers )

If i was to send that coin in to be graded who knows what it would grade and plus I am out 25-40 bucks to have it graded

Just my two cents and yall all already have a good handle on what yall like and dislike
maddiedou
AG
topher06 said:

maddiedou said:

If you notice
Plain silver eagle ms 70
First strike type1 ms 70

Looks to me like there is almost no variety in how they're graded, they just all get MS70 slapped on them. Maybe I missed the sarcasm?

I dont know how to be sarcastic well I do but not on a forum
Look at the wording on each coin each one of those words have a value attached but again that is about all I know from what little bit I watch ASEs

The first strike carries a value
First strike. Type 1 carries another value

The ones in boxes have alittle bit more value than just a regular eagle

And I guess really it comes down to the buyer on what he is willing to pay
maddiedou
AG
]
zag213004
AG
I apologize as it may have been mentioned but what ungraded silver do you get. Bullion from the mints or just raw silver
maddiedou
AG
I personally believe all ASEs that come from the mint will grade 68/69/70 but I truly have no clue how to get from the mint unless you buy graded already

As you seen above SDBullion will buy your ASE for 10 over and I had never thought about it but theirASE could be circulated (IMO)
topher06
maddiedou said:

I personally believe all ASEs that come from the mint will grade 68/69/70 but I truly have no clue how to get from the mint unless you buy graded already

As you seen above SDBullion will buy your ASE for 10 over and when you buy from them as I would also I would have thought they came straight from the mint

But that is my nativity of just assuming and not putting much thought into buying
To get straight from the mint you have to be an authorized dealer, and commit to buying something like 15,000 or so a year. Also, they've had the process for becoming an authorized dealer shut down since at least the beginning of COVID, allowing the current dealers to really start price gouging. I think most of the premium is just a racket based on the authorized dealer status, personally.

EDIT: It is 25,000/year ASEs minimum
maddiedou
AG
Yes I think like modern mint buys that allotment and sends to pcgs and only have to pay like 10-15 a coin to get graded instead of the 25-45 per coin

Also if you look at the littleton coins in the package that say uncirculated condition
Another gimmick in words it could be ms60-ms70 and I guarantee they had it priced at ms70 when somebody bought
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Begun, the currency wars have.

jagvocate
AG
Don't forget to check your change for pre-1965 American silver … got this from a Thai restaurant today
maddiedou
AG
I wish I would think about this when getting change and that is awesome
topher06
I didn't know quarters before 1965 were silver, thanks for the heads up (I will check the 40 or so quarters I have lying around the house).
mwp02ag
AG
Lightly pinch them on edge between thumb and finger and give it a little thumb with your nail. The silver ones have a different sound, it's lovely. I found one in a house I was remodeling.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.