Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

264,899 Views | 1870 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by jagvocate
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Outdoorag011 said:

I'm buying because silver is the second most important/versatile commodity on earth behind oil. It has 10,000+ uses. It is VITALLY important to our way of life and EXTREMELY important as the world moves more towards technology.

Things that cannot go on forever… don't. Shorting a finite resource will not end well. I would much rather be 20 years to early than 1 day to late.
But how will stacking $1,000s worth of silver coins be good for you? I don't mean to come across as a jerk. Are you simply counting on it to be worth a whole lot more at some future date (I guess in US dollars?)

I guess I just don't understand enough about metals. I have a few coins but can't envision a scenario in which having a safe full of them would be ideal. If things are really bad (like societal collapse bad) who is going to want silver and gold?

Again, not trying to criticize. Just want to learn from people smarter than me.
Let's go, Brandon!
oklaunion
If things are really bad (like societal collapse bad) who is going to want silver and gold?

If you have societal collapse, for sure food, water and shelter are the main items which will take precedence. However, many believe that when the 'reset' begins for a civil society, it will be based on some type of precious metal like silver and gold. Essentially it will be a gamble that a person will still have a stash that will give them a head start.

I know people who are making a fair living on buying and selling out of their homes. Buy when it is at $17 and sell when it goes to $23. That's a 35% profit and there are plenty of websites with Buy/Sell silver and gold that are under the radar and don't take a chunk of profit like Ebay, etc.
maddiedou
AG
You are correct and some of these posters have probably over 2-3000 coins and I applaud them for that but I think they went from collecting to speculating of economy failure and world collapse where gold and silver will ne the monetary value

And you know what they maybe correct but as I said before if silver gets to 50 again I am unloading every coin I have except for the graded ones

I am speculating of course which I probably ahould not
jagvocate
AG
"I am speculating of course which I probably should not"

That's what makes markets!

As to societal collapse, if you're thinking of Cormac Mcarthy's "The Road," no one is using gold and silver when food, water, and shelter are the only games in town.

But if we think in odds, every fiat currency has defaulted sooner or later … some multiple times … the odds are much more likely that the debt-centered financial system collapses and that civilization goes back to its roots (it's literally in the US Constitution, have we forgotten?) of Gold and Silver as money, everything else being a derivative.

topher06
Silver hits sub $18 again and I'm probably loading up 100 coins or so.
maddiedou
AG
topher06 said:

As I said there are probably some of these posters who have 2-3000 coins Maybe more
Good job
JR Ewing
AG
maddiedou said:

topher06 said:

As I said there are probably some of these posters who have 2-3000 coins Maybe more
Good job

If you walk in to a coin and Jewelry store anywhere, they are not selling silver rounds for $18. There is at least a $4-6 premium on top of that per coin. Add $12-14 for Eagles, which to me is unbelievable. Gold, while sitting at $1,650ish, is more than likely $200 more than that for an Eagle or Buffalo. Point being, the real price of gold and silver is much higher than spot, until you want to sell it...
maddiedou
AG
Another good point and it goes back to what I said about a year ago I do not know how you buy silver at 18 plus 4-6 dollars and expect to get your money back

If silver gets to 24. A coin shop is still only going to give you 21-22 unless you do the hassle of dealing with people and sale at spot
JR Ewing
AG
maddiedou said:

Another good point and it goes back to what I said about a year ago I do not know how you buy silver at 18 plus 4-6 dollars and expect to get your money back

If silver gets to 24. A coin shop is still only going to give you 21-22 unless you do the hassle of dealing with people and sale at spot

I believe the way you get it back is when the dollar collapses. Realizing that we are nearing $21T deficit, you will begin to see things collapse. While the US will begin to blame paper currency for the global issues, while pushing the central bank digital currency, the reality is it will begin with the collapse of the Euro, which has already started, followed by the dollar, until people come back to gold/silver. Bitcoin may become another alternative currency, but we are very near the Global Reset...
maddiedou
AG
Thanks.
jagvocate
AG
Key concept: I will someday trade my silver for land, real estate,
farm equipment, etc. but I will never sell it for dollars. If I end up passing it along to my kids because the Fed keeps the ship afloat, that's okay too.

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
maddiedou said:

This has not been my experience. For example…Spot is currently at $18. My coin shop sells ASE's for something like $31 and buys them back for $29. Both well over spot. I've previously shared links for websites that will pay you well over spot for your silver coins and am happy to do so if anyone is interested. There is never a need to sell 1 ounce coins for less than spot. Now, if you are selling foreign, fractional silver, sure. But not modern coins or bars. But if you are hell bent on selling coins or bars for less than spot, I'll happily buy them from you at spot.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
AG
Yep I am doing the same just like your kids my kids will be loaded and hell one of yall may get to buy from my kids because they have no interest as of right now in my collection
FishrCoAg
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

maddiedou said:

This has not been my experience. For example…Spot is currently at $18. My coin shop sells ASE's for something like $31 and buys them back for $29. Both well over spot. I've previously shared links for websites that will pay you well over spot for your silver coins and am happy to do so if anyone is interested. There is never a need to sell 1 ounce coins for less than spot. Now, if you are selling foreign, fractional silver, sure. But not modern coins or bars. But if you are hell bent on selling coins or bars for less than spot, I'll happily buy them from you at spot.

I would like the website links you reference please.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
A few:

https://sdbullion.com/sell
(this is one of my companies to buy from. If you buy from them, you'll know why.)
As of right now, spot price of silver is $18.49 per ounce or so, and SD Bullion will buy your:

2022 ASE's for +$11. (or $29.49)
Random ASE: +$10.50
2022 Maple Leafs: +$4
Random Maples: +$3.50
90% Junk: +$7.25
90% Half Dollars: +$8
1 oz silver rounds: +$1.50
1 oz bars: +$1.85
100 oz bars: +$0.75

https://www.jmbullion.com/my-account/buyback-products/
Not going to quote them but similar pricing

https://www.apmex.com/sell-gold-sell-silver-overview
Who knows. You have to get a quote.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
oklaunion
https://www.apmex.com/sell-gold-sell-silver-overview

Who knows. You have to get a quote.

The last time I contacted them about selling 100 Eagles to them, they offered $1.00 over spot for them
FishrCoAg
AG
Thank you!
Post removed:
by user
ElGoatarod
AG
This might have been addressed already, but I didn't see it if so.

What is a good amount of silver to shoot for if stacking as a long term investment?

What amount should you shoot for if stacking as a hedge against inflation?

What amount would you recommend as a SHTF scenario?

I have only recently gotten interesting in stacking silver, so just looking for general ballpark amounts to help me in my planning. I'm not sure yet what my goals are with buying silver I'm just buying all the ounces I can afford.
CC09LawAg
The number I generally see if 5-10% of your portfolio.
oklaunion
APMEX is selling ASEs (1-19 count) for $20 over spot today. They must be getting it if they are willing to put it that high. Quite insane.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
They are offering to pay $10 over spot for ASE's right now.
jagvocate
AG
I'm thinking about trading all of my ASEs for rounds via SD Bullion. Would be a 25-30% increase in ounces without spending much other than shipping

ElGoatarod
AG
CC09LawAg said:

The number I generally see if 5-10% of your portfolio.
Thanks LawAg. What if I don't have much of a portfolio? 5-10% of not much is not much.
What is a good ballpark amount in ounces I can be shooting for? Currently I'm stacking 10oz. generic bars to just get some weight stocked away. I didn't know if there was a general amount that is recommended to have on hand
jagvocate
AG
Let your purpose guide your stacking.

* Is it a trade? Are you going to ride a price movement up and sell it all back into fiat dollars? Opportunistic buying and selling tactics are required to max your profits. Don't own more than you can stand to lose.

* Are you buying it to hold wealth, and hopefully have it in the future, and possibly pass it along to heirs? Dollar cost average every week or month over the long haul, stack it, and forget about it.

* Are you buying it because you expect the modern finance/debt world to crash, and for precious metals to return to their role as real money? Then you want as much as you can acquire--in fact you'll start measuring your world in ounces instead of "prices" of fiat dollars.

So it's not so much a number goal but a "Why?" and stacking accordingly

ElGoatarod
AG
Thanks. Very helpful. I'll keep stacking as much as possible.
jagvocate
AG
Awesome. The day you started your stack put you ahead of 97% of Americans. Good luck, keep coming to this thread

Outdoorag011
As of today…..silver on the COMEX has a short position of 1917%.
oklaunion
What does that mean?
Outdoorag011
Every futures contract for silver on the COMEX is 5000 oz of physical metal. When you stop a contract and request physical delivery you will get 5000 ozs of silver. Usually in the form of (5) 1000 oz bars. Every single contract has the ability to request delivery of the physical metal from one of the approved vaults. So as of right now their is 1600-1900% (it fluctuates daily) more silver in the futures contracts than silver available to meet those contracts. This is one of the main ways they can suppress the price of silver.
oklaunion
Thanks.
lobopride
Until they run out of physical silver and have to buy it from people who don't want to sell.

Comes inventories are nosediving right now.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
oklaunion said:

What does that mean?

It means….

jagvocate
AG
Imagine everyone in your city wears brown leather jackets and are extremely absent-minded. You run the coat check at your city's finest restaurant, and realize that only 1 in 19 customers asks for their coat back. You decide to sell a few of the coats each night, eventually maximizing your illicit profits by selling 18 out of every 19 coats checked into your shop.

And then, out of the blue, local doctors invent a memory pill that works wonders, and people realize they've left all of their coats over the years and come back for them. What are you going to do?

oscar9
AG
is money metals good to purchase from?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.