Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

258,520 Views | 1828 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TTUArmy
CC09LawAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know there was some discussion on the board about it, not sure if this thread or another….

I think the consensus was that it wasn't worth it but not sure.
fish_rich
AG
Before going with the APMEX card I would look at Wal Mart. If you search silver or gold bullion on Walmart.com or the app, you should be able to find a lot of what APMEX sells. Most of the bullion orders are fulfilled by APMEX.

In addition, right now you get free shipping for online orders, and the WalMart credit card gives 5% cash back.
jagvocate
AG
Quiet times on this thread tend to be good times to buy ... it's been 10 DAYS between posts here ... got your silver/gold? :-)
TheVarian
AG
I'm new to the thread but have a family member who works with CyberMetals. Has anyone ventured into that realm?

Sorry if it's been discussed before.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I think a lot of people have the mindset that if you don't hold physical possession, then you don't really own precious metals.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TheVarian
AG
Yeah, kind of like it's a loan or a precious metals stock market kind of ?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Yeah, I think one of the biggest problems with precious metals is the high premiums, so folks like CyberMetals try to fix that by offering to house metals on site for the investor. But that defeats the purpose of owning precious metals in a lot of folks minds. Anyone who is buying metals because they are distrustful of the system or who is preparing for the system after the current system would be an absolute moron to then turn around and trust the system with their investment.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jagvocate
AG
The next big bull in gold will be my third. In everyone before, multiple storage companies go down for fraud. Not saying Cyber is like that, but the industry has the potential.

That's why I believe in owning and holding. Good luck!
fish_rich
AG
I was worried that I killed the thread. Whew.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Nah dude we're just waiting for the house to sign the debt bill so spot flash crashes and we can buy the dip and come back here to brag about it.
Post removed:
by user
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Beauty
Post removed:
by user
Outdoorag011
I used to have a lot of smaller pieces but I bartered them off a couple years ago. $20 pieces are all I have left. Love me some Saint Gaudens/liberty heads.

BreNayPop
AG
Played golf in a big 3 day tourney with my son this past weekend. Guys we were playing against start showing my son their ball markers- both had krugerands as their markers. I told my son that it would be a cold day in hell before he ever marks his ball with 2100 dollars worth of gold.
HarleySpoon
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Do any of you guys dabble with Pre-1933 U.S. Gold? It's something I've always been interested in and for whatever reason I still haven't dipped my toes into the water.

If so, post some pics in here of a few of your coins(if you feel like it).

The problem I have with them is that for the average one, the premium of their numismatic value is too much above their intrinsic value. In other words, gold would have to drop below $1,000 before their numismatic value holds and the coin is traded based on its numismatic value and not a premium above its intrinsic value. So at current metal prices, you are paying quite a premium simply to have a higher floor in the event of a collapse in the intrinsic value of the coins.

I've been collecting for over fifty years now. My advise: buy collectible coins for their numismatic value that changes with their numismatic demand. Buy bullion coins if the value of the bullion is your primary objective and which change with their bullion value.

And….both are great….it's just that their isn't really a gold coin that economically fills both shoes.
Post removed:
by user
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I've got some centenarios I should post pics of.

Question for you guys with lots of stuff: where do you store it? If you had an amount you were uncomfortable storing at home (at least partially), what would you do?
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
FishrCoAg
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I've got some centenarios I should post pics of.

Question for you guys with lots of stuff: where do you store it? If you had an amount you were uncomfortable storing at home (at least partially), what would you do?

Don't have a lot, but mostly in my gun safe and a little in a bank box.
jagvocate
AG
I keep mine under a sandtrap at Traditions
Post removed:
by user
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I have a fundamental distrust of these storage centers. My brother has opted for high end watches and just puts those in his safe deposit box. He's decided that pound for pound, they do better than the metals. He's not wrong.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Mostly Foggy Recollection

I have a fundamental distrust of these storage centers. My brother has opted for high end watches and just puts those in his safe deposit box. He's decided that pound for pound, they do better than the metals. He's not wrong.

My metals are a mix of home storage, deposit box storage and TPMD. It's mostly at home.
jagvocate
AG

I wish everyone luck in their endeavors. But a lot of us don't buy PMs to try and "do better" than something else ... we see gold and silver as true money with a timeless role that will again be understood as fiat currencies fail.
Brewmaster
AG

actually over certain time frames he is wrong. I also prefer metals over watches because watches track equities. The top was in on a lot of high end watches when the markets topped. Over the last year they've sold off some. So as a hedge against inflation and fiat USD, it's not what I'm doing.

I wish I could find the chart, but someone compared luxury watches to the markets and the trend is very similar. People have more money, economy is ripping, they're willing to pony up more for a watch. When we have a recession, who's going to buy those watches? Whereas the spot price of silver and gold, up up UP! Also demand for metals is skyrocketing (solar is a big reason).
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Good deal if anyone's looking to make a purchase today:

https://sdbullion.com/catalog/product/view/id/3620
jagvocate
AG
Those RCM bars are some of the prettiest ever made
AggieT
AG
Rookie Questions:

1. What makes this a good deal? The $1.99 markup over spot?

2. What is the best way to store something like this? Is there a plastic case that fits?
Outdoorag011
Yes the markup over spot is really good considering you are buying a bar that is minted by a sovereign government. Which means if you go to resale this bar in the future you would virtually have no issue selling since these bars are widely known/accepted around the world.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
It's a good looking, sovereign minted bar for $1.99 per ounce over spot. Right now that's a good deal.

Most people just stack them on top of each other, but I guess you could put them in some sort of plastic if you wanted to. The biggest thing I would tell you is keep them cool and dry, which will help prevent tarnishing.
TheVarian
AG
Just a thought that came to me, could you vacuum seal it?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I don't think I've ever seen that done when it's being stored indoors. I don't think it would hurt anything though?

If you were going to bury it, vacuum sealing, and then sealing inside of a PVC pipe might not be a bad idea.
TheVarian
AG
Yeah, I just stack mine in the safe. No real regard for physical beauty lol but the poster above got me wondering about it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.