***** NORTHERN EXPOSURE: THE 2023 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD *****

33,058 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RED AG 98
Slackjaw62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
King Donkey has gone to the IL with a "left foot contusion" after Rockhead Baldelli spiked him in the clubhouse.

This is the most pathetic Twins 'injury' since the good ol' Joe Mauer days of "bilateral leg weakness".

Expect that Joey's season ends here. God, I hope he can sign with the Rockies, Royals, or Zombie Athletics this offseason. Those are the kind of quality organizations that would let the big dog eat!
The Artist Formerly Known as Yokel
redline248
AG
Bro, you get banned? Staff must be family with Baldelli
Dies Irae
Slackjaw62 said:

King Donkey has gone to the IL with a "left foot contusion" after Rockhead Baldelli spiked him in the clubhouse.

This is the most pathetic Twins 'injury' since the good ol' Joe Mauer days of "bilateral leg weakness".

Expect that Joey's season ends here. God, I hope he can sign with the Rockies, Royals, or Zombie Athletics this offseason. Those are the kind of quality organizations that would let the big dog eat!

Believe it was "left foot confusion". He heard the saying "he's got two left feet" and it befuddled him into a fugue state. He could use our prayers
Slackjaw62
King Donkey started his "rehab assignment" for the AAA St. Paul Saints yesterday, and it was a concerning debut as he went 1 for 3 with an RBI single, a walk, and no strikeouts.

Unfortunately MLB rules will allow the Twins to keep Joey stashed on "rehab" for the remainder of the season. He is considered a longshot to make the Twins roster for their two postseason games, during which they will run their streak of postseason futility up to an astounding 20 straight losses before going home for the winter.

The all time record for the most strikeouts in a season in the Japanese league is 204, held by Ralph Bryant since 1993. Joey may want to keep that number in mind as he considers his options this offseason.
Dies Irae
Slackjaw62 said:

King Donkey started his "rehab assignment" for the AAA St. Paul Saints yesterday, and it was a concerning debut as he went 1 for 3 with an RBI single, a walk, and no strikeouts.

Unfortunately MLB rules will allow the Twins to keep Joey stashed on "rehab" for the remainder of the season. He is considered a longshot to make the Twins roster for their two postseason games, during which they will run their streak of postseason futility up to an astounding 20 straight losses before going home for the winter.

The all time record for the most strikeouts in a season in the Japanese league is 204, held by Ralph Bryant since 1993. Joey may want to keep that number in mind as he considers his options this offseason.
When questioned about the nature of his rehab assignment Gallo mentioned that he had no idea how the substances got into his body, and mumbled cryptically "you can't fight city hall". He said he was trying to keep in good spirits and was excited about seeing the Mall of America during his stint in St.Paul.
Slackjaw62
Joey Gallo and Byron Buxton are back together again, hitting third and second in tonight's minor league line-up. It practically brings a tear to your eye.

Through four, they are 0 for 4 with three strikeouts.
Slackjaw62
After last night's victory, clinching Best of Breed for his Minnesota Twins in the AL Central, Rockhead Baldelli has declared himself "a very stable genius".

In his latest brilliant action, he started a left-handed rookie with a career OPS of .522 at leadoff against a left-handed pitcher.

Meanwhile, King Donkey languishes at Triple A, watching rookies steal the strikeouts that are rightfully his.
Slackjaw62
A momentous day in the world of strikeouts, as the Minnesota Twins become the first team in history to strike out 1,600 times in a season!

If only their leader, L'Etoile du Nord, the Great Donkey, was with the team to witness this fantastic achievement!
Faustus
Schwarber had 212 strikeouts when the Phillies clinched a WC spot a couple of nights ago. He sat last night which probably ends the dream of catching Reynolds.

However he can pass the thread's namesake with just two more strikeouts for No. 5 on the all-time list. Surely the Phillies won't rest him all four of their remaining games. Moncada and Chris Davis are in reach too if the man is just allowed to play.

A tip of the hat has to go to the Mariner's Suarez and Hernandez for registering Top 10 and Top 13 all-time strikeout seasons for the same team with 4 games to play. With just a handful of strikeouts they are poised to both be inside the Top 10 all-time. They are by far the greatest strikeout tandem in a season that a team has ever seen.

https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/most-strikeouts-in-a-season-by-a-batter

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB-leaders.shtml

(I'm not sure if the links have been updated for last night's games, although for Schwarber it wouldn't matter since the Phillies are denying him his shot at history. It wouldn't surprise me if he was complicit.)
The Porkchop Express
Just wanted to thank Yokel and the rest of you guys for perpetuating this thread for most of the season. I started it with good intentions but needed to step away from TexAgs for a few months from May-August. Excited that Joey G is in the playoffs and hope to get back to contributing more soon.
Slackjaw62
The Porkchop Express said:

Just wanted to thank Yokel and the rest of you guys for perpetuating this thread for most of the season. I started it with good intentions but needed to step away from TexAgs for a few months from May-August. Excited that Joey G is in the playoffs and hope to get back to contributing more soon.
Thanks to Rockhead Baldelli, Joey will almost certainly be on ice for the upcoming tilt between the Twins and the Toronto Pretty Little Bluebirds.
Slackjaw62
WHAT IN THE RIGHTEOUS HELL??

Rockhead and the braintrust activated BYRON BUXTON as an injury replacement. Much like the Yankees and the Dodgers before them, the Twins are about to find out what befalls you in the postseason when you don't give the Donkey his due.
Slackjaw62
I hear that the Houston franchise may be in the market for a left-handed hitting corner outfielder.

Imagine the chagrin of the Rangers in next year's ALCS when KING DONKEY rises from the ashes in the clinching game, with a game ending walk off homer to go with his four strikeouts.
The Porkchop Express
I stand by my claim that if the Astros ever sign King Donkey I will buy a ticket for every person who has ever posted on Donkey's thread (supportively) for a game, and I will wear a Donkey costume with a Gallo jersey on top of it.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
After Eugenio Suarez came up a heartbreaking one strikeout short of the season championship at 214, the Seattle Mariners (a team with, at least to date, a surfeit of players at the strikeout position) traded him to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Prior to Arizona's ridiculous World Series run, I would have said that this was a great opportunity for Suarez. Now, I fear that Torey Lovullo may start putting on airs and acting like striking out 220 times in a season is a bad thing.

Seattle may be playing with fire as well. Should Teoscar Hernandez leave in free agency, it's unclear where their strikeouts will come from.

Joey Gallo, meanwhile, is sequestered in a dark room with a laptop and a brand new Babbel subscription, muttering "Konnichi wa? Konnichi WAH?" over and over again.
The Artist Currently Known as Yokel
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
toucan82
I think a full season of Kelenic should help in the strikeout department, though he might not be good enough at other things to warrant 600 PA
rebag00
AG
Coming soon to an NL stadium near you - Joey Gallo to the Nat-io-nals on a 1 yr. $5 mil deal.
Looks like these threads live on!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
rebag00 said:

Coming soon to an NL stadium near you - Joey Gallo to the Nat-io-nals on a 1 yr. $5 mil deal.
Looks like these threads live on!

Texas residents, mark your calendars! Your only chance to see King Donkey in the Lone Star State next year is a midweek series in Arlington from April 30-May 2. Take vacation or contract a three day flu, this will be historic!

Tragically, the Twins do not host the Nats this year so I will be making a road trip to see the Donk. I have a couple of possibilities in mind, and will update the thread when plans are finalized.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Oh my god, it looks like King Donkey will have more competition in the strikeout department next year!

The great Miguel Sano, the only player in MLB history to reach 1,000 strikeouts faster than Donkey, has signed a minor league deal with the California Los Angeles Anaheim Angels of Anaheim, complete with an invite to big league spring training.

I knew Sano wasn't going to be content stalling out at 1,042 Ks. He currently sits at #331 on the all time list, tied with Trevor Story.

Our hero, King Donkey, was oppressed by Rockhead Baldelli throughout the month of September and could not continue his meteoric rise up the charts. He is currently tied with Brady Anderson and Will Clark with 1,190 strikeouts, good for #223 on the all time list.

This is going to be a moving year for Donkey, though. Even a conservative 150 Ks would put him the top 150, and 200 Ks would put him close to the top 100.
The Porkchop Express
I talked to Donkey tonight on Periscope. This is a double-down for him. In addition to dominating fort he Nats, he's going to be Trump's running back in 2024.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Donk is off to a dominant start in spring training, having gone 1 for 14 to date, with a 2 run RBI double, 1 walk, and 8 big strikeouts. That's a slash line of .071/.133/.143, for those of you keeping score at home.
The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain said:

The Donk is off to a dominant start in spring training, having gone 1 for 14 to date, with a 2 run RBI double, 1 walk, and 8 big strikeouts. That's a slash line of .071/.133/.143, for those of you keeping score at home.
Wait for the '24 thread start bro, it will be here soon!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

YokelRidesAgain said:

Wait for the '24 thread start bro, it will be here soon!
How can I wait? I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning!

Don-KEY! Don-KEY! Don-KEY!
sburg2007
RED AG 98
AG
there is a 2024 thread that has been started for my fellow King Donkey junkies
YokelRidesAgain
AG
sburg2007 said:

"Carter Kieboom" may be the best name in baseball history, but my man better watch his back. Donkey will pass him by the All Star break with at least 13 home runs and 100+ strikeouts!
sburg2007
Nats fan here. He is all but done.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
sburg2007 said:

Nats fan here. He is all but done.
You shut your dirty mouth!

King Donkey is eternal. and he better be batting cleanup on Opening Day! It's not like the Nats are winning anything!
sburg2007
I'm talking about washed up never was kieboom
YokelRidesAgain
AG
sburg2007 said:

Oh. Of course you were. My mistake.
RED AG 98
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

sburg2007 said:

Oh. Of course you were. My mistake.
King Donkey make kieboom kaboom! Currently the only person to appear 3 times and very soon to be the only 4 time champion!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.