***** NORTHERN EXPOSURE: THE 2023 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD *****

33,216 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RED AG 98
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reports indicate that Joey's activation off the IL will be delayed until tomorrow.

This is a disappointment as his lifetime batting stats against Red Sock starter Chris Sale, (1 for 12, slashing .083/.083/.083 with 9 big strikeouts) looked enticing.

Unfortunately, Rockhead Baldelli can't tell a good matchup from a poor matchup, and is starting Max Kepler instead.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
Matt Olson is throttling the strikeout race. He's up to 29, with 15 in the last 8 games. He's on pace for 261, and weather permitting, I'll be cheering him on Saturday night in the ATL.

But all that is small potatoes compared to the news out of the Great White North. Because tonight at Fenway Pahhhhhk, the most legendary slugger to grace Boston, Mass since they traded Babe Ruth away makes his triumphant return from the DL. The Twins have lost 3 straight without their leader, but all that changes today. Joey Gallo is back, hide yo wife, hide yo kids.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Dies Irae
The Lord of the Swings: The Return of the King.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Dies Irae said:

The Lord of the Swings: The Return of the King.
Less informed baseball fans (of course, there are none of those here) might go with:

The Lord of the Whiffs: Return of the Stiff
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey is batting 7th tonight. The 6 batters in front of him are batting .120, .220, .224, .237, .111, and .209.

Joey is batting .278, which is like a .600 for a regular baseball player.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey singles and is now batting .316!!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
DONKEY HITS A 3 RUN BOMB TO RIGHT FIELD TO RAISE HIS AVERAGE TO .350.

WILL HE BE THE FIRST HITTER TO HIT .400 ON THE SEASON SINCE TED WILLIAMS??
redline248
AG
I would totally be down for 2-5 with 3 Ks every day
The Porkchop Express
Joey finally got his first K since getting off the DL. Hitting .304 just like we thought he'd be on April 19. Over in the NL, Matt Olson went 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts and is up to 31 on the year. 31 strikeouts in 19 games is a 264 strikeout pace. If you can dream it, you can do it!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey picked up another K in a losing effort in the afternoon matinee, but he is going to have to start stringing multi-strikeout games together to get back in the race after his early season DL stint.
The Porkchop Express
Donkey batting 2nd today and is on pace for 42 homers! More importantly, I'm seeing strikeout leader Matt Olson live in a few hours!
The Porkchop Express
2 whiffs for DOnkey today! He's back on track.

Just got back from Astros/Braves and Matt Olson did NOT disappoint. Recorded a glorious hat trick to get to 35 whiffs on the season, now on pace for 270.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
2 more Ks for Donkey today, but he continues to languish out of the top 100 on 15 strikeouts for the year.

He's got to string a lot of these days together to get back into the race.

Teammate Byron Buxton is picking up the slack with 29 Ks on the year, in the top 10 in MLB.
The Porkchop Express
Matt Olson is up to 37 strikeouts in 22 games played. he's played every game this year for the ATL and is having a beast of a year with a .547 SLG and a .913 OPS. He's also on pace for 272 strikeouts, nearly 40 ahead of Reynolds' record.

Jazz Chisholm Jr. is up to second with 33 in just 79 at-bats. I'm going to assume he was named after Jazz tehe Autobot who was himself voiced by Scatman Crothers back in the 80s. This is a scene from the cartoon where the Autobots, who should have be trying to defeat the Deceptions and / or get the hell back to their own planet, instead spend the afternoon having a snowball fight.

I'm still really crushing on MJ Melendez, who is getting every day looks in RF for the Royals, had 29 strikeouts in 73 at-bats, and his hitting .178. He could be the new Eugenio Suarez.

Joey is up to 13 in 12 games. Obviously he's got a big gap to close if he wants to get into the top 20 or so, he's only 198th right now, but he's also hitting .350 and has an OPS of 1.056, so if he's healthy, he's in there.
The Porkchop Express
Brandon Lowe of Tampa with the platinum sombrero tonight!
The Porkchop Express
KING DONKEY just went yard ball vs the Yankees!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

KING DONKEY just went yard ball vs the Yankees!
Upper deck shot on a frigid night. Unfortunately I am out of town or I would be there.

The Big Donk is now tied for 8th in MLB in home runs, which makes him an every day player and gives him plenty of chances to strike out.

Of course, he's losing what amounts to an extra strike out chance every game as Rockhead continues to give lead off opportunities to Max Kepler. who is hitting .209.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey inserted into tonight's game as a pinch hitter and promptly hits a useless, non-True Outcome double in a disappointing night.

The Twins are leading 6-2 in the late innings, looking to win their first season series against the Yankees since the administration of President Franklin Pierce (details approx.).
The Porkchop Express
The 2 best strikeout guys in the business are going head to head to start the week, and it's been well worth the price of admission so far.

Matt Olson continues to lead this year's strikeout race with 38 through 24 games, but he was held without a strikeout yesterday for the first time since April 9. He's still on pace for 256 for the year.

That left the door cracked for Jazz Chisholm Jr. to make his move yesterday, striking out twice against the Braves to get to 36 for the year and up his pace to 243. Chisholm is really living his best life right now. He's walked only 6 times and he's hitting .218.

Tied for third are Ryan McMahon of Colorado and newcomer Riley Greene of Detroit, who has 33 whiffs in just 22 games and is hitting .221. He's an interesting strikeout prospect. Last year he struck out 120 times in 93 games ( pace of 209) as a rookie. In 2020, he had 153 strikeouts in 124 games between two teams, a pace of 200. If he can stay healthy, there's no reason he can't compete for the strikeout title, especially as the Tigers seem just as bad as ever.

And how about Aaron Judge returning to form as a premiere strikeout hitter He's up to to 32 in 24 games and he lives up to his new contract with 11 RBI - a pace of 74, slightly off from his 131 a year ago,

YokelRidesAgain
AG
YOU CANNOT STOP HIM.

YOU CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM.

Donkey moves up to 6th in MLB with his 7th homer.

He did add a strikeout today as well.

But all of that is preface to the fact that for me it is ***DONKEY EVE***, the day before my first opportunity to watch our hero in the flesh at Target Field!

Promising matchup as Joey is 0 for 17 in his career against KC starter Zack Greinke.

I hope Rockhead does the right thing and lets Joey lead off.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
This, right here, is the kind of heartwarming story baseball is all about.

After 13 seasons, 1,154 games and 4,494 plate appearances in the Minor Leagues, Drew Maggi finally got his at-bat.

And what did Drew do with that at-bat? Did he hit? Did he hit an ostentatious homer?

No, he did not. He did what real men do as they go through the day.

He struck out. Flailed at pitches, showing his teammates how not to achieve, so that they can do differently.

Outstanding. You did it, son. You struck out.

Now go get another.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
It. Is. Time.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Yokel's First 2023 Donkey Game, live updates
Joey looked magnificent in his first at-bat, quickly working the count to 0-2. Then he accidentally hit a double, his first extra base hit in 20 at bats against future Hall of Famer Zack Greinke.

#2 Joey shows off his elite ball missing skills, holding his glove a good six inches above the throw from shortstop Carlos Correa for an E3.

#3 This night is about Joey, but it is still a pleasure to watch Franny "The Franimal" Reyes strike out. His way of looking aggrieved when the umpire calls strike three looking on a ball right down the middle of the plate has a charm all its own.

#4 More disappointment on 0-2, as Joey nubs a useless grounder to second.

#5 K SWINGING ON YET ANOTHER 0-2 COUNT!!! The moment is captured below!

#6 Royals' starting nose tackle Franny Reyes.picks up his second K of the night.

#7 King Donkey flies out to deep center to end his night 1 for 4 with a K.

The Porkchop Express
Matt Olson has broken 40 strikeouts for the year and is leading the K race by 4. He has 11 in his last 7 games and is on pace for 44 HR, 137 RBi, 112 BB, and 262 strikeouts. God bless that man.

Joey's strikeout yesterday was the 1,064th of his career, tying him for 304th place all time with Johnny Callison Cliff Floyd, and fellow active player Starling Marte.

Floyd defied all logic and reason for 17 years by being 6 foot 5 220 lbs but never striking out more than 112 times in a season. He is probably the only guy to play in the World Series for both the Marlins (97) and the Rays (08).

Johnny Callison played 16 years overall, 10 of those with the Phillies, and peaked with 117 strikeouts in 1965, the best year of his career as he led the league with 16 triples, hit 32 HR, and drove in 101. Homeboy had 5 straight years of 10+ triples.

Big ups to Aaron Judge for clawing his way up to third in the strikeout chase. The minute I picked him in Fantasy Baseball this year, I thought "He's probably going to suck if you pick him." And so he has, with a .261 average and 35 strikeouts in 26 games.

Austin Riley, also on my fantasy team, has crept up to a tie for fifth in whiffs. As you'll recall, last year, Riley, Olson and Dansby Swanson began just the 4th trio of teammates to crack 500 strikeouts in a season. Swanson has gone to the Cubs, so Sam Hilliard is trying to fill his shoes. He currently has 25 strikeouts, giving the trio a total of 102 in 26 games. That puts them on pace for an outlandish pace of 635 strikeouts this year!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Just more good news for King Donkey as the official scorer took last night's error away from him and gave it to the Twins 200 million dollar man, Carlos Correa, who is batting .205 with 21 strikeouts.

A tasty matchup for Joey this afternoon as he faces Jordan Lyles, against whom he has a career .600 strikeout percentage.
The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain said:

Just more good news for King Donkey as the official scorer took last night's error away from him and gave it to the Twins 200 million dollar man, Carlos Correa, who is batting .205 with 21 strikeouts.

A tasty matchup for Joey this afternoon as he faces Jordan Lyles, against whom he has a career .600 strikeout percentage.
That can't be right, Carlos Correa plays for the Giants Mets.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey couldn't get to Lyles, as he walked and hit a triple.

But he picks up a K swinging against the reliever!

Thanks to a 2 hour rain delay I was able to get to the game after work, to witness my second DONKEY K of the year!

UPDATE: 2K night for the Donk with a beautiful K swinging!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

That can't be right, Carlos Correa plays for the Giants Mets.
You must have forgotten that New York traded him back to Minnesota for salary considerations in order to facilitate the Aaron Rodgers trade.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Not a particularly enticing matchup for Joey against Brad Keller, against whom he has four walks in five career plate appearances, and not a single strikeout.
redline248
AG
All bad things must come to an end
YokelRidesAgain
AG
redline248 said:

All bad things must come to an end

Never doubt the Donkey! K swinging in AB #1!

Unfortunately I was stuffing a bratwurst in my piehole at the time, so no photo.
The Porkchop Express
Joey's finally figuring it out in this frozen wasteland. 9 strikeouts in his last 22 at-bats - that's 41% whiff ratio. He's up to 19 for the year, way off the top of the leaderboard, but he's only 2 away from the top 100, and if anyone can go on a run, it's Joseph Tiberius Gallo.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Here's today's strikeout #2!

redline248
AG
Those are pretty good seats
YokelRidesAgain
AG
And he becomes..a..3K..DONKEY!!!

Twins will probably have to go to 11 innings to give him the chance for a sombrero del norte.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.