***** NORTHERN EXPOSURE: THE 2023 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD *****

33,248 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by RED AG 98
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now a walk. C'mon JOey, lock in!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
And they pinch hit for Joey with 2 on in the 6th. What a lousy day.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
Right side soreness for Gallo
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey getting "imaged" tonight per Twins MLB beat writer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
No Donkey today, as expected. IL next?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
A 6-way tie still for 1st in strikeouts with JD Martinez, Nick Castellanos, Matt Olson, Ryan McMahon, Max Muncy, and Michael Conforto all tied at 13. That's 6 guys all on pace for 260-300 strikeouts.

Aaron Judge laying in the weeds with 12, free-swinging Julio Rodriguez among those at 11, Astro WS MVP Jeremy Pena with a gorgeous Golden Sombrero yesterday is up to 10, and perennial contended Eugenio Suarez is at 9 through 8 games. Kyle Schwarber, last year's only 200-K guy also at 9.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
GOOD DAY FOR DONKEY!!!

Village idiot Rockhead Baldelli described Joey's MRI results as "something they were hoping for". Given his intellectual disability, it is difficult to interpret Baldelli's words, but at least Donkey is not on the IL for now.

Also the official scorer changed his opening day flare to right field from an error to a single, so Donkey raises his average to .278 while sitting in the Champions Club eating cheese curds.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey out of the line-up, again.
toucan82
I would donate my right side to Joey if I thought it would help
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Twins' beat writer for The Athletic, who actually gets PAID to talk to King Donkey, writes that the Donk is optimistic about avoiding the IL.
The Porkchop Express
He is sore from carrying the twins offense.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Throughout Twins Territory, lamentations continue to mount with concern over the pierced side of King Donkey.

Showing his magnanimity and greatness, the Donkey did not punch even one of his teammates in the chest during today's disappointing game, while steps away at Target Center, cheese-eating surrender Frenchman Rudy Gobert rained blows upon a backup during a media time-out, thus getting himself put into a time-out by team officials, even though his side is fine.

I have it on good authority that Joey also set a new Target Field record by consuming 27 Red Cow 60/40 sliders during today's brisk two hour and 33 minute game.
The Porkchop Express
The season is already 5.555% over and two men have pushed ahead in the strikeout race - Nick Castellanos of the Phillies and Max Muncy of the Dodgers, who started the season with a platinum sombrero. They each have 16 K's. That puts them each on pace for 259 strikeouts this year.

Brandon Belt, Ryan McMahon, and whoever the hell MJ Melendez is are tied for third at 15. Belt is trying to out-Donkey the Donkey, with 15 strikeouts in 23 at-bats and only 1 hit, yep h'es hitting .043 this year.

Perennial contender Matt Olson is at 14, along with J-Rod and J-Pena. Aaron Judge lurks with 13, Eugenio Suarez is at 12, and by missing 3 games hurt, poor Joey is 133rd with 7. Gotta get this guy healthy, he's the straw that stirs the strikeout drink!

Update he's not playing today vs the White Sox either.
Dies Irae
I'm starting to question his dedication.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Update he's not playing today vs the White Sox either.
Cruel disappointment, as Donkey excels at missing the ball against today's White Sock starter, Dylan Cease.

His strikeout percentage against Cease is a healthy .750, and every one of his 6 at bats against Cease has ended in a True Outcome (walk, HR, or beautiful strikeout).
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Then again, you have to consider that Donkey probably wants to be as healthy as possible for the upcoming 4 game set at Yankee Stadium.

The Bleacher Creatures are ready to welcome him back as a conquering hero, and Joey needs to be ready to swing under, over, and to the side of as many pitches as possible, just like when he was patrolling left field at the Stadium.
The Porkchop Express
Here are some great Joey #s to pass the day.

Joey's best stadiums

Angel Stadium: .155, 50 strikeouts in 103 at-bats (.485 WHF AVG)
Chase Field: .032, 12 strikeouts in 31 at-bats (.387 WHF AVG)
Coors Field: .105, 9 strikeouts in 18 at-bats (.500 WHF AVG)
Minute Maid Park: .133, 72 strikeouts in 135 at-bats (.533 WHF AVG)
Marlins Park: .071, 12 strikeouts in 28 at-bats (.423 WHF AVG)
Camden Yards: .133, 25 strikeouts in 60 at-bats (.417 WHF AVG)
The Porkchop Express
King Donkey is cleared for batting practice today!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Must have been a setback. Donkey to the 10 day IL.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Twins are calling up a cheese eating surrender monkey of the Quebecois persuasion, one Edouard Julien by name, to replace le roi ane.

It looks like the dream of the strikeout record is dead by April 15.

WHEN WILL MLB MANAGERS LEARN THAT JOEY NEEDS A MINIMUM OF 4 PLATE APPEARANCES PER GAME TO WORK HIS MAGIC AND AVOID INJURY??

This is a conspiracy. That's what this is. One big damn conspiracy. And everyone's in on it!
Dies Irae
He flew too close to the sun
The Porkchop Express
Never count out Joey Gallo. He can get on a run and put up 40 strikeouts in a month.

If you look around the Majors today, you see that the Gallo Effect has been activated. Every team Joey plays for turns to gold because of his benevolence.

If the playoffs started today, which would be weird, the Yankees, Twins, Rangers, and Dodgers would all get a spot.

Former MVP Christian Yelich has taken over the MLB strikeout lead with 19 in 44 at-bats. He had a hat trick yesterday and one on Monday and is on pace for 280 whiffs for the year.
The Porkchop Express
2 more strikeouts for Yelich tonight. He's up to 21, on pace for 284, and has 8 in his last 3 games. He's the best player on that team, there might be no stopping him.
toucan82
damn, Twins putting up a 9-spot on the yankees in the 1st
The Porkchop Express
Kids, let's give it up for Matt Olson with the Golden Sombrero yesterday, giving him 7 strikeouts in 2 days and getting him into a tie with Phily's Nick Castellanos for the stirkeout lead.

The best part is that Olson is having an incredible season. Through 13 games he's on pace for 62 doubes, 50 homers, 150 RBI, 125 walks, 123 runs, and 274 strikeouts. My cup runneth over.

I'll be in the ATL next weekend to see this modern-day Barry Bonds go up against the Astros. I'll try to let him know he's a major player on the Gallo Season 3.

Meanwhile, Castellanos might be some sort of cyborg because he has struck out at least once in every game this year. He's also having a great season, hitting .292.

King Donkey is eligible to come off the DL on April 18th. He needs to get back to it with this poser Edouard Julien called up in his absence. He plays 2B, but he's hitting in Joey's spot with a 1.089 OPS in 2 games and he hasn't even struck out yet.

Christian Yelich is third at 21, and newcomer Jazz Chisholm Jr. is up to 20 in 13 games for Miami.
yawny06
AG

Kids, let's give it up for Matt Olson with the Golden Sombrero yesterday, giving him 7 strikeouts in 2 days and getting him into a tie with Phily's Nick Castellanos for the stirkeout lead.

The best part is that Olson is having an incredible season. Through 13 games he's on pace for 62 doubes, 50 homers, 150 RBI, 125 walks, 123 runs, and 274 strikeouts. My cup runneth over.

I'll be in the ATL next weekend to see this modern-day Barry Bonds go up against the Astros. I'll try to let him know he's a major player on the Gallo Season 3.

Meanwhile, Castellanos might be some sort of cyborg because he has struck out at least once in every game this year. He's also having a great season, hitting .292.

King Donkey is eligible to come off the DL on April 18th. He needs to get back to it with this poser Edouard Julien called up in his absence. He plays 2B, but he's hitting in Joey's spot with a 1.089 OPS in 2 games and he hasn't even struck out yet.

Christian Yelich is third at 21, and newcomer Jazz Chisholm Jr. is up to 20 in 13 games for Miami.
You left out one minor detail. That is seven times, IN A ROW.

I know, because I watched.

Every. Single. One.
yawny06
AG
Olson sandwiches 7k's between two homers.

I'll take it.
The Porkchop Express
Matt Olson continues to do the impossible. Hitting .304 with an OPS of 1.070 and leading the majors with 24 strikeouts after whiffing twice more last night.

Nick Castellanos made it 14 straight games to start the season with a strikeout to sit second at 23.

We've got 11 guys with more than 20 strikeouts at this point in the season. Mostly new faces to our grand thread, although Aaron Judge has crept into the conversation with 20.

Beyond Olson, I'm most impressed with KC catcher MJ Melendez, who has 21 strikeouts in 12 games and is hitting .196. But even he can't top the efforts of Baltimore shortstop Gunnar Henderson, who also has 21 in 12 games and is hitting a sensational .150. This guy might need to be called Infield Donkey because he has 12 walks, tied for third in the majors, giving him a .358 OBP.

Last year's AL leader Eugenio Suarez has moved up to tied for 14th with 18 while the ML leader Kyle Schwarber is tied for 17th with 17.
The Porkchop Express
Great news! King Donkey began a rehab assignment Friday, playing 1B and going 1 for 3. he's eligible to come off the DL on the 18th. Donkey has inspired the Twins to win 4 straight in his absence.

Of his brief stint in Triple AAA St. Paul, he was quoted as saying, "I've made Minneapolis my home, but it will be great to get out there and explore a different part of the country."
YokelRidesAgain
AG
L'usurpateur, Edouard Julien, who is keeping Donkey's spot on the major league roster warm until Tuesday, picked up his first career two strikeout game batting leadoff today. He is batting .143 with three Ks on the season.

He had better have a one way ticket from Logan Airport back to St Paul on Tuesday, when Joey is eligible to come off the IL.
The Porkchop Express
Something special happened in St. Paul, Minnesota on Saturday.

Joey Gallo put the whole MLB pitching force on notice.

The Big Train is on the tracks.

In his second rehab game with the Saint Paul Saints, and hey bravo on that original team name, King Donkey went 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts, showing the whole world that he is ready to resume his conquest of history.

That's right kids, not just a Golden Sombrero. A TRIPLE A GOLDEN SOMBRERO.

Sometimes I feel like Joey Gallo is Jeff Bridges' character in the second Tron movie. Everyone else is slinging their discs around and punching and kicking like idiots and he comes in and shuts the power off on the whole place. Other hitters in baseball are piling up 20 strikeouts in the first 15 games. Joey's down on the farm finding ways to strikeout against inferior pitching that most guys never even dream about.

Digital Joey?

YokelRidesAgain
AG

In his second rehab game with the Saint Paul Saints, and hey bravo on that original team name, King Donkey went 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts, showing the whole world that he is ready to resume his conquest of history.

That's right kids, not just a Golden Sombrero. A TRIPLE A GOLDEN SOMBRERO.
As spectacular as this was, it should be noted that the villainous manager of the St Paul Saints, Toby Gardenhire, robbed us of the chance for a Triple A Platinum sombrero by pulling Donkey for a pinch hitter in the 9th inning.

Joey achieved three swinging strikeouts against starting pitcher Quinn Priester of Indianapolis Indians (another burst of spectacular creativity in naming, and unlike the Cleveland Indians, definitely not racist). Priester has never reached the major leagues. He also struck out swinging against reliever Daniel Zamora, who has 27 MLB strikeouts and a career 4.50 ERA in the big leagues.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Fighting back after a disappointing single in the first, Joey has struck out swinging twice already in today's Saints game, including a two out, bases loaded strikeout.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey strikes out looking for his seventh strikeout in 8 at-bats against the fearsome pitching of the Pittsburgh Pirates farm team!

Will he come to the plate again with a chance for his second straight sombrero??
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey was the last batter of the game and made the final out on a useless fly ball.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.