Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Opinions on UH to Big12

18,444 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Iowaggie
South Platte
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can tigers change their stripes? UH appears to be well put together these days. They are getting very strong students and the school is huge. It's tempting to say "same ol, some ol", but I don't think it's accurate.

I have no idea why Texas, the gov office, and now Texas Tech thought it was necessary to voice their support. Is it genuine? Is it posturing for a letdown? Political strategy? Only time will tell.

With respect to Herman leaving, they should always be able to hire well. They have cats that can flat out play within 15 minutes from campus. Yeoman, Pardee, Briles, Sumlin, Herman. That's a serious list of top shelf guys. The next top shelf guy will be ready to take over if Herman leaves, especially if they start getting $20M+ from the conference.
Aquin
AG
Your post is about the first one that seems to present a current and accurate view of things. First, they could have easily beaten us last year. They are not a commuter school any longer. Their law school is very good and ranks in the top ten in certain fields.

You mention their long list of coaches, many of them superior to our own. Frankly, forget about stealing their coach. I would welcome the chance to trade university presidents with them.

I do not think any conference would be embarrassed to have them as a member.
AggsRule
Yeoman had a saying that you could stand on a street corner in Houston and seeing a dead cat and hit 10 d1 prospects.
HippieCoog
At least some people are actually giving credit where credit is due. This isn't 1996 anymore. Also our stadium is expandable up to 60,000.
HippieCoog
quote:
quote:
Uh has always been able to compete when given a level playing field. Check both schools records from the 60s to the 90s uh has a better winning percentage than a&m. Uh fell off in the late mid 90s because if scholarship restrictions imposed by NCAA in the late 80s. Uh is not your father's uh. Their freshman sat scores are just behind a&m. They are a residential campus now with over 8k beds on campus, second only to a@m, they are tier 1 research university. I went to uh my kids a&m, I have grown to love both schools. Love the spirit of a&m family, and love the toughness shown by uh to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and compete at the highest level despite not having the state support of a&m and ut. The sleeping giant has been awakened. Gigem and go coogs
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/31/70/76/6786968/3/rawImage.jpg

But yet, if they were added to the Big 12, their stadium would become the smallest in the Big 12 and the third smallest in Power 5. And they don't even fill up their 40,000 seat stadium...Who cares how many beds they have on campus or if they are tier 1 research? None of that produces revenue for the conference.
I beg to differ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT0iheaUkAA5uz9.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kNRp0nxlJaU/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2DdfG-dx7Yw/maxresdefault.jpg

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CU6GG_AUwAAnX66.jpg
FtBendTxAg
AG
Still cougar high, who cares
AgsForTheWin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Uh has always been able to compete when given a level playing field. Check both schools records from the 60s to the 90s uh has a better winning percentage than a&m. Uh fell off in the late mid 90s because if scholarship restrictions imposed by NCAA in the late 80s. Uh is not your father's uh. Their freshman sat scores are just behind a&m. They are a residential campus now with over 8k beds on campus, second only to a@m, they are tier 1 research university. I went to uh my kids a&m, I have grown to love both schools. Love the spirit of a&m family, and love the toughness shown by uh to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and compete at the highest level despite not having the state support of a&m and ut. The sleeping giant has been awakened. Gigem and go coogs

But yet, if they were added to the Big 12, their stadium would become the smallest in the Big 12 and the third smallest in Power 5. And they don't even fill up their 40,000 seat stadium...Who cares how many beds they have on campus or if they are tier 1 research? None of that produces revenue for the conference.
I beg to differ

Don't kid yourself. A couple games where you get over 30,000 people is nothing. High schools games in Texas can do that.

A&M has more people show up for midnight yell than that
monarch
S
Best of luck to UH, but as of right now, they have had one good year, actually a great year and I wont knock them for that. Then again, what do they bring to the table that doesn't already exist?

(1). BIG12 games are already televised in Houston, so that is a no gainer.
(2). I debate whether they will impact recruiting in any way: they will continue to recruit Metro-Houston as they always have, and so will we and so will LSU and 'Bama and USC and UCLA and Fla and everybody else, so nothing changes there.
(3). Their other sports have had minimal success relative to last years football team.

If I was in the BIG12, I would ask Cincy (add Ohio TV sets), Memphis (add Tenn and surrounding area TV sets) and BYU (national brand) You could add UH in this scenario, but they aren't bringing anything to the table that doesn't already exist.

Whatever, we don't play in that conference anymore.
mmh
AG
quote:
Best of luck to UH, but as of right now, they have had one good year, actually a great year and I wont knock them for that. Then again, what do they bring to the table that doesn't already exist?

(2). I debate whether they will impact recruiting in any way: they will continue to recruit Metro-Houston as they always have, and so will we and so will LSU and 'Bama and USC and UCLA and Fla and everybody else, so nothing changes there.
(3). Their other sports have had minimal success relative to last years football team.

If I was in the BIG12, I would ask Cincy (add Ohio TV sets), Memphis (add Tenn and surrounding area TV sets) and BYU (national brand) You could add UH in this scenario, but they aren't bringing anything to the table that doesn't already exist.

What I find interesting, is at least 7 out of the 12 teams in the AAC (UCF, Cincy, Uconn, ECarolina, Houston, Memphis, and SMU) have all recently thrown their hats into the ring for a move to the big12.

It's odd.
Post removed:
by user
12Manny
quote:

UH has had several good years in the last decade to 15 years. Otherwise, their coaches wouldn't be poached so much i.e. Briles, sumlin, herman (soon).

Their baseball, golf, and track teams are very good.

I think there's two reasons why UH is being considered.
1) political, the whole UT-houston thing
2) the 2 research firms that the conference hired out of Chicago is rumored to have said that UH and BYU will have immediate and positive financial impact.

12Manny
quote:
UH has changed drastically since the 90s. Better academics and SAT scores. More students. A lot more on-campus housing. Luxury private apartments across from campus. Gentrification is moving toward UH from the north and east. The new UH students and alums are much more supportive of their school (they aren't commuters). The support grows every year. It seems like a good move for the b12 and uh. I don't see it affecting A&M or tu recruiting that much. The schools I see taking a hit are Baylor, tcu, tech, and some out of state schools like Osu and msu who scoop up quality recruits in Texas not recruited by the big boys.

BINGO.
UH will never be a Texas AM or ut. Both have tremendous resources and are fantastic schools academically, TAMU especially (my family bleeds maroon).

But elevating UH to a better conference, raising its profile, will help the state by having another solid public university option. Those who stand to lose some ground will be the techs, baylors, and Tcus of the world.
TAMU bball fan
Elevating UH and UT-Dallas to Tier 1 status means A&M can stop growing and be more selective.
12Manny
quote:
Elevating UH and UT-Dallas to Tier 1 status means A&M can stop growing and be more selective.

Exactly what my dad (A&M class of 79) said. He likes the idea of growing A&M but not like they're doing right now. He doesn't want it to be a deegre mill, he's written plenty of emails all ready to the administration.

Schools like UH and UT-D could be great alternatives for students and parents if they continue their rise in profile.
HippieCoog
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/31/70/76/6786968/3/rawImage.jpg

I beg to differ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT0iheaUkAA5uz9.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kNRp0nxlJaU/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2DdfG-dx7Yw/maxresdefault.jpg

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CU6GG_AUwAAnX66.jpg
Don't kid yourself. A couple games where you get over 30,000 people is nothing. High schools games in Texas can do that.

All of those games depicted drew 40-42,000. Point being, you claim that we draw 20-25,000 which is false since we draw far above that number and already have 22,500 season ticket holders for this upcoming year.

A lot of you are trying to convince yourselves that UH is the same UH from 1996 when it's clearly not. The denial has now gotten to the point to where it's laughable. If we're bringing in 42,000 for Memphis and have 22,500 season tickets playing an AAC schedule then obviously we'll draw 50-60,000 with a Big 12 schedule with at least 35,000 season tickets.

RAB83
AG
Cougar High to the BDF makes no sense to the conference economically. It's within the conference's footprint, so there are no added TV sets and no more money. They would be better off with Tulane, USM, Memphis, or one of the Florida directionals.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Cougar High to the BDF makes no sense to the conference economically. It's within the conference's footprint, so there are no added TV sets and no more money. They would be better off with Tulane, USM, Memphis, or one of the Florida directionals.
Big XII doesn't have a conference network and won't have one until the sips give up the LHN and agree to an extension of the GOR. Now, ESPN can put the kibosh on the LHN and take it out of the equation, if they wish.

Adding UofH will also have to be approved by the networks. If they agree, no reason to keep them out. Especially if the Big XII is looking to go to 14 teams and add BYU, Cincy, Memphis at the same time.
SigAg6
AG
They add high schools to the big 12?
The Original AG 76
AG
The real issue wil be does Aimes Iowa or Stoolwater or those other bdf megalopolises have enough convenience stores for the coog road warriors to rob. ?
( Blatant theft of an old SWC Cotton bowl joke)
Diet Cokehead
AG
This is like worrying about whether the trailer park across town is going to start a new phase with single wide or double wide homes on wheels.

I simply don't care either way because I'm never going to be in the neighborhood.
Texas A & M
quote:

Tier One research status
Phi Beta Kappa membership
43,000 students
More than 8,000 beds in its university housing, second only to A&M.
Average SAT score is 1717 compared to 1745 at A&M
Average ACT score is 24 compared to 27 at A&M.
32% of incoming students in Top 10% of graduating class compared to 54% at A&M.

That high school isn't very far behind A&M.
Flexbone
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I beg to differ

All of those games depicted drew 40-42,000. Point being, you claim that we draw 20-25,000 which is false since we draw far above that number and already have 22,500 season ticket holders for this upcoming year.

A lot of you are trying to convince yourselves that UH is the same UH from 1996 when it's clearly not. The denial has now gotten to the point to where it's laughable. If we're bringing in 42,000 for Memphis and have 22,500 season tickets playing an AAC schedule then obviously we'll draw 50-60,000 with a Big 12 schedule with at least 35,000 season tickets.

UH won't sell that many tickets unless they're hugely discounted. Not enough alumni that have the $ or care. The campus is an absolute dump.
Flexbone
quote:
quote:

Tier One research status
43,000 students

The "tier 1 research" but cracks me up because it's so misleading. There's a MASSIVE difference between that and an AAU school, especially A&M. A&M does more research than any school in this region of the country by a lot. Almost a BILLION dollars last year.
12Manny
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tier One research status
43,000 students

The "tier 1 research" but cracks me up because it's so misleading. There's a MASSIVE difference between that and an AAU school, especially A&M. A&M does more research than any school in this region of the country by a lot. Almost a BILLION dollars last year.

I agree that the tier 1 status is a bit misleading. But the facts are that brighter students are entering UH and its academic profile has risen tremendously.

UH will never be a TAMU but it can be another good university that good students can choose.
monarch
S
Just for grins, but why not add UH & ECU to the SEC?

monarch
S
OK, OK. Maybe I ran to much in the heat earlier today.
Ag13
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I beg to differ

Obviously!!!
Agsuffering@bulaw
2015 UH season home games

Tenn. Tech 30k
Texas St. 32k
SMU 25k
Vandy 29k (UH came into that game ranked)
Cincy 33k
Memphis 42k (both teams were ranked)
Navy 40k (both teams ranked)
Temple 36k (Conf Championship, both teams ranked)

On UH's website, a basic season ticket is $185.

This is a JOKE!

They couldnt even get 40k for the AAC game, with the opportunity to go to a major bowl! And most of the alums probably live in Houston. Its not like they have to drive 2-3 hours to see a game.

I have said this before and will say it again. Programs that have seen consistent succcess (except for Oregon with Nike $$$) play in 80k or bigger stadiums. Programs like UH do not deliver tv ratings.

If UH gets offered, it would be because of sip politics. When sips play politics, everyone else loses. They are fools to sign on the dotted line.
Appelt_Ag09
AG
Seems like Texas is playing the Big 12 and UH. Maybe they now favor expansion so when they leave , the Big 12 doesn't disintegrate. If Texas leaves now then the big 12 most likely ceases to exist and they will get all the blame. If they wait and add UH + 1, then the big 12 can survive by being another AAC/Conference USA and Texas avoids the bad publicity for breaking up a conference.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Makes a lot of sense. Whatever motivation Texas has, it sure as hell isn't that they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts for UofH....they are scheming for a way that best suits them and UoH is a means to that end.
BMX Bandit
If Texas leaves big 12, the conference is done.

agnerd
AG
quote:
Holy moly I just heard on the radio that UH is apparently trying to broker a deal with UT to clear the way to get into the big 12. In turn UH would give up their long standing opposition to UT opening a campus in Houston.

So many observations:

1) UT has ALL the power
2) A UT campus in Houston will inevitable hurt UH's academics because they will have a major in city competitor. That's why they've always been very opposed to this and blocked it at the state legislature.
3) This shows how desperate everyone is to get into the Big 12/a major conference
4) I think this trade could actually work. And I love it. For reasons previously discussed, adding an in state school will hasten the destruction of the big 12
Ag13 got it exactly right and it didn't seem to register with anyone:
UT to pay $450 million over 30 years for Houston land
Sips are spending some serious cash for land in Houston that right now they are claiming will be a "research campus" because UH opposes the invasion. Supporting UH into the Big 12 reduces that opposition significantly and probably allows them to turn the campus from research to teaching. Texas keeps all the profits from a new campus, yet supporting a UH school that doesn't produce much revenue only costs them 1/10 of their 1st and 2nd tier rights with the other Big 12 schools picking up the tab for the rest. Adding UH might cost them a million or two in athletics revenue a year, but could add tens or even hundreds of millions in academic revenue a year.

edit: Sips already have good campuses in Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio. Houston is the one jewel still missing from their crown and one that A&M has been able to hold a firm grasp. UT-Houston might not have an affect on athletics, but it would be a big problem for the A&M system.
Ag13
AG
quote:
Adding UH might cost them a million or two in athletics revenue a year, but could add tens or even hundreds of millions in academic revenue a year.

And the other side of the coin is that the arrangement is permanent for one party and not for the other. Once a UT-Houston campus is cleared it will be there forever. Big 12 will be around only as long as UT wants it to be. So them giving up an extra million or two a year in athletic revenue is literally no big deal at all (and that's saying that the Big 12 even lasts long enough for UH to become a full fledged payout member). UH is potentially selling their soul for a brief period of return (assuming they can even capitalize on it). From a money perspective, the Big 12 is punching a nail in its own coffin by adding any of the available schools. I'm actually impressed by UT's chess game skills and astounded by UH's short sightedness. Guess the horns learned from A&M in summer 2011.
agnerd
AG
quote:
I'm actually impressed by UT's chess game skills and astounded by UH's short sightedness. Guess the horns learned from A&M in summer 2011.
Agreed. If it was a calculated move, it was absolutely brilliant.
Scientific
AG
Some old Coog told me once they also had a chance to join the SEC before joining the SWC. What may have been for them.

Since I have friends and family who have gone there, the university is taking all the right steps to improve in academics and sports. I'm not on my high horse and knocking them for even trying. They are seeing the results. But unfortunately for them, it may be too late.

Their best hope was when they were supposed to join the MWC, and turn that into a power conference, but then that fizzled once realignment happened.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.