Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Opinions on UH to Big12

18,418 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Iowaggie
SwagyAgy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What does everyone think about UH going to the Big12 and how it hurts or helps A&M?

Just kinda curious if we would want that, not want it, or think its a wash with pro's and cons.
And yes it does affect us, it would be another P5 school in Texas and not too far from A&M at that
hunter2012
AG
Al Bula
AG
Houston is SEC territory.

Big XII is trying to put lipstick on a pig.
redd38
AG
It would be another step towards Big 12 falling behind the P4.
chipotle
No thanks...no time
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
It's irrelevant.

UH isn't any higher than 3rd and maybe 4th in Houston fan support.

And it won't bring the B12 anything - certainly not TV sets. Other than their bowl game in 2015 they usually had between 200-400K viewers per game. And the bowl game 5.6M was mostly due to FSU.

Lipstick on a pig.
OilFieldIRI
S
Go to UH to play football against Iowa State, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, ou, and tu

Go to TAMU and play S.Carolina, Tennessee, Miss. State, Ole Miss, Bama, Arky, Auburn, and the corn dogs

I know where I'd want to go play
vander54
S
I personally do not think it will hurt our recruiting much. Unless Houston is able to be extremely successful in the Big 12-2-2+2+2 (unless it's Big 12-2-2+2+4)

Edit:

I actually think it will harm tu more. Another Texas school in a P5 conference. If a player wants to stay in Texas but play in the Big whatever it is, than they will have one more option to choose from.
PeekingDuck
AG
I think it is really quite nice that they are trying to reform a *******ized SWC while we are where we should have been when it originally disbanded.
Andrew99
AG
Are they putting the band back together?

Any word on Rice and SMU?
CentexAg
AG
The one thing the NUT is and has been setting up for some time now is the easiest possible path to the BCS tourney. Once tu comes back- and the will eventually- they will basically have 1 game to win (OU) to get into the BCS. I think this has been their end game all along.
Pylon Cam
AG
Don't forget about North Texas
45-70Ag
AG
The addition of uh to the swc was the beginning of the end for the swc

Same will be true for the bdf but maybe that's what Texas wants.
Lungblood
Ha.... Gaaaaaaaaaay
Ag13
AG
Really want this to happen. UH will not have sustained success in a major conference unless Herman stays as their coach. So long term I think it has barely any effect on A&M. Short term recruiting, maybe, but we are still the only Texas team in the SEC. This will be a major selling point for us as long as ifs true (hopefully for all eternity).

On the other hand, the Big 12 adding a school like UH (and any of the other terrible programs they are considering), will turn the knife a little more in the dying conference. It will hasten its demise.
Aggie
AG
quote:
Go to UH to play football against Iowa State, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, ou, and tu

Go to TAMU and play S.Carolina, Tennessee, Miss. State, Ole Miss, Bama, Arky, Auburn, and the corn dogs

Top recruits want to win... We can only play the schedule card for so long
Snap E Tom
Look at that list of candidate schools. Uconn? Cincy? Small programs, far away. I agree this will only hurt tu more than it helps. It's tarnishes the image of the Big 12.

This feels a lot like a few years ago when the Big East was on its last gasp, and it tried to grab anything it could to survive. They invited almost anyone who wanted in - TCU, Houston, San Diego State, Boise State, BYU, UCF to name a few. With the exception of TCU, they were all small programs who every few years got an invite to some minor bowl. They were also all hardly "East." Travel was going to be a nightmare for the existing schools, but the Big East had to get its membership up.

It all failed and imploded when Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU left, then later Rutgers and Louisville. Go ahead and expand, Big 12. You're just one big program poach away from collapsing.
Bone6
Not great news...historically we've recruited the city of Houston better than Dallas. We would still out recruit UH in the city of Houston obviously, but they might nip us for a couple 4 stars that would otherwise be Aggies each year if they are in a bigger conference.
hph6203
AG
Just one more school to divide revenue with, without generating any additional revenue.

It would put a deadline on the conference to either improve revenue to keep up, or disband to chase more money. My money would be on disband before Houston ever got a full revenue share.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Hunter won this thread
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Hunter won this thread

2thFixinAg
quote:
quote:
Hunter won this thread

I am way too old to be enjoying that pic as much as I am.
Kemo Sabe
i don't see where it hurts A&M. What I find strange is why tu wants to elevate UH and put them on their level? Makes no sense. UH could keep a few recruits in Houston that tu may want. Then tu would have to play against them in conference. UH in the big12 will definitely hurt Baylor and techs recruiting. Why travel, when you can play the same teams staying at home in Houston.

If tu does find a spot to land then the big12 can and will have to add rice and SMU and effectively get the old SWC gang back together.
longeryak
quote:
quote:

Agree.

Of the composite top 50 Texas recruits for 2016, A&M signed 6 and the rest of the SEC West signed 13.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agree.

Of the composite top 50 Texas recruits for 2016, A&M signed 6 and the rest of the SEC West signed 13.
And we're still signing... big week coming up!
BMX Bandit
Hurts our recruiting.

Am I the only one that thinks all this longhorn support for UH is "don't blame us when you don't get in" placating?
12Manny
quote:

Same will be true for the bdf but maybe that's what Texas wants.

No it wasn't.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
Houston is LSU territory.

Big XII is trying to put lipstick on a pig.

FIFY
Ag13
AG
The other good thing about UH moving to the Big 12 is that when the final round of re-alignment happens, there will be 5 Big 12 Texas schools to fill the few precious spots left. Doubtful all 5 of them get picked up. Most likely to get left out and sent to an eternity of irrelevance is not UH (huge public school), it's Baylor.
TexanJeff
AG
If they Add Houston they will be dooming TCU, Tech, Baylor and Houston to preiennial mediocrity. Just not enough blue chips for 6 Power 5 football teams in Texas.

Hell, we had a hard time getting great teams when it was just 4.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agree.

That's perfect. We still got more than any other SEC West school, but they still managed to convince top players to not participate in your ****ty conference. That's good for A&M
merc
AG
Only relevant factor for UH is Herman. If he stays they have the potential to be good and hurt our recruiting. If he leaves they are worthless again.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Just another home game for the sips, bears, raiders, sooners when they play at Coog High
technoviking
AG
If you give the rumor that adding Houston will give the bigwtf enough teams to bolt the conference in the next few years legs, then this is definitely something to keep an eye on.
Mac94
AG
quote:

Nope ... the demise of the SWC began in 1982 when U. of Georgia and U. of Oklahoma sues and won against the NCAA in court over control of TV rights. That court case began the slow roll to where we are today.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.