Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Opinions on UH to Big12

18,386 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Iowaggie
12Manny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
I'm actually impressed by UT's chess game skills and astounded by UH's short sightedness. Guess the horns learned from A&M in summer 2011.
Agreed. If it was a calculated move, it was absolutely brilliant.

You really think UH hasn't thought about the effects that a UT-houston campus will bring? You really think that there won't be concessions or promises made to get a fair deal on both sides?

I guess the only people who are brilliant enough to see past UT's "chess moves" are the geniuses posting on the TexAgs.

Where will we be without you guys?
agnerd
AG

quote:
You really think that there won't be concessions or promises made to get a fair deal on both sides?
Which part of the Longhorn Network do I need to explain again?
aeon-ag
quote:
Houston is SEC territory.

Big XII is trying to put lipstick on a pig.
Exactly! Is there a required sex scandal qualification?!
12Manny
quote:

quote:
You really think that there won't be concessions or promises made to get a fair deal on both sides?
Which part of the Longhorn Network do I need to explain again?

I guess the Longhorn network is the game winning chess piece that NO ONE, not even UH knows about. I guess I better email UH officials and tell them about the longhorn network before it's too late ...
Ag13
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm actually impressed by UT's chess game skills and astounded by UH's short sightedness. Guess the horns learned from A&M in summer 2011.

You really think UH hasn't thought about the effects that a UT-houston campus will bring? You really think that there won't be concessions or promises made to get a fair deal on both sides?

I guess the only people who are brilliant enough to see past UT's "chess moves" are the geniuses posting on the TexAgs.

It appears that the UH administration, as evidenced by their utter desperation to get into the Big 12, have completely discounted the chance that the Big 12 goes up in flames. Now I cannot see the future, obviously, but I do not see how the Big 12 will survive long term as a power conference. They are well behind in money and the gap will only grow wider if they add schools like UH, ECU, UCF, etc.

If OU or UT leave the Big 12 (or the more likely scenario...both jump ship at about the same time), the Big 12 is done - at least as a conference that will ever have a path to the college football playoffs and have potential for "lucrative" tv deals. OU and/or UT leaving the Big 12 is virtually inevitable because of the money gap and the quickly developing prestige gap between other conferences.

Meanwhile, if and when the Big 12 folds as a major campus, the UT-Houston campus will still be in place.

And no, I don't think there will be concessions to make it a fair deal. The Big 12 is looking to bring on the schools willing to take in the least amount of tv revenue share. AKA they are looking to bring in the most desperate that will take the least money. How is that fair? Has anything that UT has been involved with in regards to conference re alignment been fair?

Feel free to refute my points. Thanks for being an ass hole though in the mean time.
Ag13
AG
Further, us geniuses here on TexAgs are some of the most intimately familiar with Texas screwing over fellow schools. They don't do anything without the purpose of helping themselves.

If you don't see something completely amiss in this tweet, then you just haven't been paying attention to University of Texas athletics very long:

Or perhaps the tweet is literal. UH is indeed a huge asset for Texas (as in the Univeristy of Texas) if the UT administration can be the puppet master.
12Manny
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It appears that the UH administration, as evidenced by their utter desperation to get into the Big 12, have completely discounted the chance that the Big 12 goes up in flames. Now I cannot see the future, obviously, but I do not see how the Big 12 will survive long term as a power conference. They are well behind in money and the gap will only grow wider if they add schools like UH, ECU, UCF, etc.

If OU or UT leave the Big 12 (or the more likely scenario...both jump ship at about the same time), the Big 12 is done - at least as a conference that will ever have a path to the college football playoffs and have potential for "lucrative" tv deals. OU and/or UT leaving the Big 12 is virtually inevitable because of the money gap and the quickly developing prestige gap between other conferences.

Meanwhile, if and when the Big 12 folds as a major campus, the UT-Houston campus will still be in place.

And no, I don't think there will be concessions to make it a fair deal. The Big 12 is looking to bring on the schools willing to take in the least amount of tv revenue share. AKA they are looking to bring in the most desperate that will take the least money. How is that fair? Has anything that UT has been involved with in regards to conference re alignment been fair?

Feel free to refute my points. Thanks for being an ass hole though in the mean time.

This could be a long discussion but I simply find it incredibly naive that UH hasn't thought about the LHN, UT's motives, and the possible dismantling of the Big12. You REALLY think the UH brass who comprise of professionals, carrying degrees from all sorts of schools, not just UH, will not plan to get the best and most fair deal possible? I'm not talking about conference payouts, I'm talking the greater issue of the UT-houston campus.

Anyway, I apologize if I came off as rude. Not my intention at all.

My family is full of Aggies, my dad, class of 79 took me to games when I was young and taught me the history and traditions of A&M. (Hints my username). I love the school.

I decided not to attend A&M despite getting accepted. I went to UH instead on a full ride.

I love both schools and attend as many games as I can for both.

What I don't understand is when I say UH is a solid school.
People hear: Aggies suck.
When I say: an elevated UH can be good for the state of Texas.
People hear: Aggies suck

This type of thinking holds the entire state back from bringing up more quality schools that can keep and attract talent to the state of Texas.

Ag13
AG
What kind of concessions do you think could be made to 1) make this fair and 2) keep the Longhorns and check?

Yes there are smart people in UH admin. There are also people that see dollar signs of the Big 12 and realize that UH will never make the playoffs in the AAC and unfortunately will probably not be able to keep Herman either. I don't blame UH for wanting to move to a big conference...that's an obvious move. But giving up something so important to their academic reputation is ludicrous and short sighted in my mind.
Agsuffering@bulaw
quote:
I simply find it incredibly naive that UH hasn't thought about the LHN, UT's motives, and the possible dismantling of the Big12.

Uncle Tillman and his posse want to win championships now. Yes, I think they are blinded by their own ambition.

I also think that because they have not played the sips in 13 years. This generation of "UH leaders" has forgotton or never knew who they were dealing with.

And NO, the sips never seek the Win/Win. They find a way to gain leverage and then they apply it with a Ghengis Khan-like fury.

Remember this Manny, the sips threatened to stop playing us if we went to the SEC. So the "Rivalry" was not sacred to them. Control was.

The sips do not have peers, partners, nor friends. The sips are huggy bear, and UH is the new "employee!"
agnerd
AG
quote:

Uncle Tillman and his posse want to win championships now. Yes, I think they are blinded by their own ambition.
Good point. We haven't discussed Fertitta yet. He just put his name on the new basketball arena. Likely that he will want to get the most bang for his buck by having that facility hosting Big 12 games. Fertitta has been very kind to athletics over the years and now has a vested interest in seeing athletics flourish. While Khator has done some great things for the university, I think she still plays second fiddle to Fertitta since he's chairman of the Board. Athletics provides more publicity to Fertitta to advertise his business than academics, and I don't want to see UH take a step backward academically to satisfy his athletic ambitions. If it came down to trading Big 12 admission for UT-Houston, I don't think Khator would be able to override Fertitta. She can't win if t.u. and Fertitta join forces.

And as far as smart people at UH being qualified to handle the situation correctly, I don't think all of the leadership of UH realizes that Fertitta might have more influence that Khator or that his personal business ambitions might not coincide with what is best for the school.
monarch
S
Still leaning towards UH & ECU for the SEC...
kammrath
AG
quote:
Still leaning towards UH & ECU for the SEC...
Shoot if you were doing something like that I would rather grab Okie State instead of UH.
halfastros81
AG
why? both would be an obvious financial drag and why would you want in-state comp for SEC recruits.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
Not great news...historically we've recruited the city of Houston better than Dallas. We would still out recruit UH in the city of Houston obviously, but they might nip us for a couple 4 stars that would otherwise be Aggies each year if they are in a bigger conference.

I agree with this.

A&M does have the competitive advantage right now over tu, Baylor, Tceh, and TCU in recruiting Houston, because of the SEC, but it would be foolish to think that another P5 mouth to feed wouldn't have an impact on all the P5 schools that recruit Houston area, and Texas in general. It would make a negative impact, especially if the right coach got in there and sold the local recruits to stay home (like Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson did for Miami).

Again, I think it hurts Texas, Baylor, and Tech the most, but it could really hurt all the teams that recruit Houston.
(although I think it is a net positive for the state of Texas)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.