Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Johnny Manziel Lawyer mistakenly sends text to AP.....

37,960 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggiebrewer
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I bet he's claiming it was on accident but was really on purpose bc they wanted to get this out in the media bc they don't know what else to do to get through to him. I can't fathom any attorney worth two ****s is that incompetent
You know... between the "accidental text" and Mr. Manziel's public announcemeant, you may be onto something. Johnny will never see the football field again, however - he's at a crossroads.msimply stated, he needs to read/believe the tattoo on his chest.
zephyr88
AG
The Browns still have to pay Manziel $2,173,997 for the balance of his contract (2016 and 2017). He's not running out of money anytime soon. And quite frankly, this shows the ludicrousness of the contracting in the NFL. How in the world does anyone get fired (for cause) in the real world and get two years salary after you are boxed up and shipped down the road? The Browns owe this kid nothing.
BMX Bandit
Manziel was not "fired for cause" for starters.

That aside, People get paid the balance of a contract all the time in the real world after contracts are terminated without cause.
aglaes
AG
I've seen great parents have a really tough time with a child, while other kids from the same parents turn out great. I've also seen lousy parents have kids that turn out great. I suppose there is correlation between the quality of the parenting and how kids turn out, but not always, especially when mental disorders and/or addictive personalities come into play.
Matsui
AG
Sad
zephyr88
AG
quote:
Manziel was not "fired for cause" for starters.

That aside, People get paid the balance of a contract all the time in the real world after contracts are terminated without cause.
Being "waived" equates being "fired" in the real world. He was fired for being a jackass. That was the cause. They certainly didn't waive him for being too good of a guy. He doesn't deserve a dime of what they are about to pay him. He's just gonna buy drugs with it anyhow. The NFL system may be the biggest enabler of all.
BMX Bandit
That's not "for cause"

He "deserves" every penny the Browns agreed to pay him
ag2003
AG
In he real world most people aren't working under a contract with specific terms-----it's called employment at will. Manziel and the NFL have contracts with specific terms. Manziels ckntract specified that he was guaranteed the full contract....non first round contracts are not guaranteed. All that said, if he's suspended from the NFL for failing a drug test or for the domestic abuse allegation, then they can likely withhold the remaining dollars, or at least some of them.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
That's not "for cause"

I guess I need to better understand the legal definition of "cause".

However, respectfully - he does not deserve future amount which were not earned (IMO).
TX scallywAG
AG
Three pages no, no link. Here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/johnny-manziel-attorney-mistakenly-sends-text-to-ap-about-his-case-221559809.html

Shows a tweet with attorney saying the texts were not from him. He'd say that either way, but worth noting.

These threads always turn into "I know an addict" vs "He's need to grow up"... I tend to be in the middle. Dude definitely needs to grow up but needs a support net around him.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
NoVAag91
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't care how much you have tried and been shat on, I can't believe his dad has given up trying. Unreal
hate to give you a dose of reality.......once your kid turns 18 years all you can do is offer advice and hope the kid takes it. Other than that there is nothing one can do. It is a very helpless feeling.
I've had a dose of that reality. I've had to work through a similar situation with one of mine ... never really 'gave up,' but realized at a certain point this was well out of my control. Had to stop bailing him out of jams and out of jail. Had to protect the rest of my family. I kept on praying, attended AA and NA meetings with him, visited him in prison, was there for him to call me and listen, was there to offer advice when asked, and prayed some more. But never gave up. Mine is making progress, but only after hitting the bottom and the desire for help overwhelmed his other desires. The journey is not over, but he's been clean/sober for two years. He's involved in a Christian outreach program and working with others ... and I keep praying. God is gracious & very good.
BarryProfit
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't care how much you have tried and been shat on, I can't believe his dad has given up trying. Unreal
hate to give you a dose of reality.......once your kid turns 18 years all you can do is offer advice and hope the kid takes it. Other than that there is nothing one can do. It is a very helpless feeling.
I've had a dose of that reality. I've had to work through a similar situation with one of mine ... never really 'gave up,' but realized at a certain point this was well out of my control. Had to stop bailing him out of jams and out of jail. Had to protect the rest of my family. I kept on praying, attended AA and NA meetings with him, visited him in prison, was there for him to call me and listen, was there to offer advice when asked, and prayed some more. But never gave up. Mine is making progress, but only after hitting the bottom and the desire for help overwhelmed his other desires. The journey is not over, but he's been clean/sober for two years. He's involved in a Christian outreach program and working with others ... and I keep praying. God is gracious & very good.

That's awesome.

If Manziel could get his ish together he could be a powerful voice for future young people living hard and fast. Probably not likely but I would like to see that happen.
Cancelled
AG
What kind of drug paraphernalia is running $1k+? I can get you a syringe for free on the Galveston sea wall.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
quote:
I bet he's claiming it was on accident but was really on purpose bc they wanted to get this out in the media bc they don't know what else to do to get through to him. I can't fathom any attorney worth two ****s is that incompetent

I hope for that attorney's sake it wasn't on purpose for the reason you stated.
Lawyer could actually get in serious trouble for this, accident or not.
WhataMaroon88
AG

Another sad part of this whole thing, and a reflection of our society as a whole, is how fast everyone wants to profit from another man's misery. The drug shop's owner, possibly the attorneys, plenty of others who see Johnny somewhere he probably shouldn't be... I mean our first thought is how we can gain from it, instead of, how we can give back and help Johnny and plenty of others when they need to be loved the most...
PatAg
AG
quote:
I assume he will run out of money eventually.
Then he will give BJs to his loyalists in exchange for drug money

****, the people with a hard-on full of hate for him are more likely to pay for that.
libertyag
AG
quote:
He may well run out of life before he runs out of money.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
What kind of drug paraphernalia is running $1k+? I can get you a syringe for free on the Galveston sea wall.
I'm guessing a superfly hookah, crystal dragon bong or Tunsil scuba mask.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Another sad part of this whole thing, and a reflection of our society as a whole, is how fast everyone wants to profit from another man's misery. The drug shop's owner, possibly the attorneys, plenty of others who see Johnny somewhere he probably shouldn't be... I mean our first thought is how we can gain from it, instead of, how we can give back and help Johnny and plenty of others when they need to be loved the most...

So the clerk at the head shop should've told him,

"Hey bro, I don't think you should buy this bong... Here's a good counselor you should contact instead" ?
welborn
One morning we will wake up to a very scary and disappointing head line.
SigAg6
AG
Why don't we as Aggies band together will all our recourses and get him some help! Who's with me?................
That's what I though. Nobody.
ag2003
AG
He's had both parents, two agents, a billionaire owner, multiple HS, college and pro coaches, multiple companies with millions invested in him, several doctors/rehab and ALL have given up on him.....what makes you think a bunch of Internet Aggies fans could do anything for him? It's one of the saddest situations, but as others have said its all up to him at this point
Bodhi
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm guessing a superfly hookah, crystal dragon bong or Tunsil scuba mask.

Official Larmey Tunsil signature Gas Mask-gold edition.
Seamaster
AG
quote:
That's not "for cause"

The contract may stipulate that the Browns owe him the rest of his guaranteed money but, frankly, the NFL and owners should wise up. Perhaps a clause about illegal activities or activities detrimental to the club should be cause for being waived AND releasing the team from further payment. Now that does happen in the real world.
bobbranco
AG
quote:

Someone is a hate filled jackass.
murphyag
AG
I've said this before many times, but in my opinion Johnny is a person who suffers from both ADHD and ODD and is not properly taking his meds or doing counseling for the ODD issues. I believe he has suffered from these disorders his whole life. I have seen parents with kids like this just basically give up on trying to parent them because it is more than they can handle. They find it easier just to look the other way and give in to what the kid wants.
Ag98and03
AG
This whole thing is so sad.

I'm not so sure that the family is to blame. His sister (and I can't even remember her name, that's how low-key she is!) seems to be normal. At least we don't read about her in various papers. So I'm guessing that the parents are able to parent.

Some of you seem very naive to declare everyone permissive and causing this problem. I have no doubt the Manziels tried to protect their CHILD. I have no doubt A&M tried to protect their high-profile athlete. I have no doubt the Browns tried to protect their potential money-maker. Johnny probably had the most gifted counselors in the nation available to work with him.

In the end, this boils down to addiction. Johnny's saga highlights how insidious this disease truly is.
uneedastraw
I'm sure the sister is normal because the parents weren't living vicariously through her success like JFF.

It's more of a societal problem. Any one of us parents can act like we would be different and could handle hat parenting situation but I can see where the line of parent/friend could be difficult when your son is looked at as a legend/ hero by all your peers.
SeattleAgJr
All these ****ing excuses in here...

The decision to take drugs lies solely with one person. The decision to keep using drugs lies solely with one person. The decision to seek help here lies solely with one person.

txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
That's not "for cause"

The contract may stipulate that the Browns owe him the rest of his guaranteed money but, frankly, the NFL and owners should wise up. Perhaps a clause about illegal activities or activities detrimental to the club should be cause for being waived AND releasing the team from further payment. Now that does happen in the real world.
You're thinking of a moral turpitude clause.
StickTogetherAgs
Something tells me the text wasn't sent by mistake
Shooz in Katy
AG
quote:
quote:
I can't believe Mike Pettine is still after him. I bet somehow Hyman is pulling the strings on the whole vendetta against Manziel. And his dad is clearly getting paid to say all these things.

Im sure you think you are funny, and I apologize in advance for coming down on you because you certainly aren't the only one casting stones.

Aggies laughing at Manziel make me f'cking sick. A person who brought us all great joy has his life is crashing in front of us & some just giggle like school girls. Pathetic.

It's a tragedy what he has done to himself. I hope he gets it together.

Amen.

I saw Trey Williams last night with his friends having fun in an alcohol free family setting. My first thought was "I wish JFF would just handle business like Trey."

What a contrast. Trey didn't even get drafted and is now with the Colts and doing all he can to make his dreams come true. JFF took first round draft money and when things got a little tough, decided to do everything he could to make his worst nightmares come true. Hope he survives his nightmare and gets new dreams.
Cancelled
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I can't believe Mike Pettine is still after him. I bet somehow Hyman is pulling the strings on the whole vendetta against Manziel. And his dad is clearly getting paid to say all these things.

Im sure you think you are funny, and I apologize in advance for coming down on you because you certainly aren't the only one casting stones.

Aggies laughing at Manziel make me f'cking sick. A person who brought us all great joy has his life is crashing in front of us & some just giggle like school girls. Pathetic.

It's a tragedy what he has done to himself. I hope he gets it together.

Amen.

I saw Trey Williams last night with his friends having fun in an alcohol free family setting. My first thought was "I wish JFF would just handle business like Trey."

What a contrast. Trey didn't even get drafted and is now with the Colts and doing all he can to make his dreams come true. JFF took first round draft money and when things got a little tough, decided to do everything he could to make his worst nightmares come true. Hope he survives his nightmare and gets new dreams.

I saw trey coming out of specs about 6 months ago. I got a pic with my daughter and him. I get your point though.
Shooz in Katy
AG
I can be seen leaving Specs regularly-but like Trey I handle my business.

But I'd like to add It was refreshing to see a recent Aggie football great (Trey) with his buddies at a water park the night before he's helping Mark Turbin hold a football camp for kids here in Houston. I thought of the JFF alternative- getting plowed at some coon ass dive bar the night before a football camp for kids and then getting sent home by Archie Manning the next day after reporting late.
Cancelled
AG
Me too. I was there he was really cool

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.