Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How did Ole Miss pass us up?

16,611 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Aftermath
Tursiops93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They don't have SPAV
mhayden
quote:
Pass us up? Ole Miss and A&M are two peas in a pod. Their talent on the defensive side has been light years ahead of ours all along while we had a generational player at the most important position in the first 2 years. Identical SEC records of 17-15. Neither team is really going anywhere, Ole Miss aint exactly playing for SEC titles, and we have the best overall season among the two teams in that period.

I agree to a point, and much has to do with how your schedule lines up -- but Ole Miss was still in contention for the SEC West until the last week of the season the last two seasons... We've been done by mid/late October.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Pass us up? Ole Miss and A&M are two peas in a pod. Their talent on the defensive side has been light years ahead of ours all along while we had a generational player at the most important position in the first 2 years. Identical SEC records of 17-15. Neither team is really going anywhere, Ole Miss aint exactly playing for SEC titles, and we have the best overall season among the two teams in that period.

Yeah, we had that season 4 years ago in year 1 under the current regime and year 1 in the SEC.

They've been trending up, we've been trending down. They're hoping to keep up the good work, we've got 100 questions about our program.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
better players and MUCH better coaching.
The idea that Freeze is some great coach is ludicrous. The guy makes blunders on a spectacular level and loses games for his team every year (including twice in 4 years to us where they had games gift wrapped). They even lost a game this year to a wannabe rival (Memphis is their main recruiting base) in embarrassing fashion.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
better players and MUCH better coaching.
The idea that Freeze is some great coach is ludicrous. The guy makes blunders on a spectacular level and loses games for his team every year (including twice in 4 years to us where they had games gift wrapped). They even lost a game this year to a wannabe rival (Memphis is their main recruiting base) in embarrassing fashion.
Memphis is a good team this season.

You can pick holes, but at some point, its hard to ignore the results and progress he has made at Ole Miss and his two previous, albeit them very brief and in lesser leagues, stops.

He might have made some blunders---most coaches do, I might point out---but the overall results and progress, they're pretty darn good so far.

He's no Nick Saban, I would agree with that.

To be sure, I'm not sure anyone is calling him Nick Saban, just that they think Ole Miss is getting "much better" coaching than our team, and our coaches have certainly made blunders and embarrassingly lost games--including a game to Hugh Freeze earlier this season.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
how has Ole Miss passed us? They have been a member of the SEC since 1932, we enter in 2012 and it takes them 2 years to have a better conference record, albeit similar ho hum final record. They have 4 more conference wins but only 2 more total wins over the last 2 years. The first 2 years we have 5 more conference wins and 6 more total wins.
They've gotten better, leading to them kicking our ass two years in a row, and we've gotten worse, leading to them and a lot of other schools kicking our ass two or more years in a row.

A lot of reasons to think Ole Miss ought to feel better right now than us.
sure they feel better, they've had a decent year. we had a season that will easily be forgotten. in the end, they won 1 more game than us. they are reaping the rewards of their 2013 class, we are feeling to complete joke of ours.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, he's no Saban. I would compare Freeze to someone like...uh...Kevin Sumlin.
Aftermath
AG
Their first year QB has thrown for 3800 yds, . We are supposed to have these great receivers, we have 3 with 350+ yds, they have 6. They have better defensive talent. they have better coaching. Their roster is better than ours now and they have the #4 class for next year. They are here to stay just like TCU and Baylor......they are popular with the "in-crowd" at high schools, and athletes hang with the "in crowd"
Ragoo
AG
quote:
memphis lost 3 of their last 4 games.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Yeah, he's no Saban. I would compare Freeze to someone like...uh...Kevin Sumlin.
Until Kevin Sumlin, with his own players, doesn't let Hugh Freeze run him silly, let's take a bit of pause on this...
RadAg14
AG
They still haven't done much on the field, that high recruiting class came and went without winning a thing
JJxvi
AG
What they do against each other without their own players would seem to be a better measure of how good they are at "coaching" which was specifically separated out of "recruiting"

If there is an argument that Freeze is better overall than Sumlin, then he barely beats him by a hair. Freeze hasn't done anything except exceed expectations and then fail to reach the new heights once expectations were exceeded just like Sumlin. Who beat who head to head in specific years has almost no bearing, esp when the sample size is 2, and in the 2 other games, Freeze blew the games almost all by his lonesome.
DadsanAG
quote:

Yet earlier in the thread, it was stated that OU is only good due to their competition? This place never ceases to amaze.
Just Tired
quote:
Archi, Eli
manziel...and if you are going all the way back archie...hell john david crow
John_Galt
Their recruiting has not been any better than ours over the last 4 years.

So, it is coaching. That goofy looking Huge Freeze would be 4-0 against Sumlin but for some magic tricks pulled off by Johnny in back to back years in Oxford. Also, Freeze made a couple of boneheaded calls that helped us also.
JJxvi
AG
quote:

So, it is coaching. That goofy looking Huge Freeze would be 4-0 against Sumlin but for some magic tricks pulled off by Johnny in back to back years in Oxford. Also, Freeze made a couple of boneheaded calls that helped us also.
Thats SOP in a close game involving Ole Miss in the past four years
Aftermath
AG
Ha!, Freeze is one play away from winning the west, we haven't sniffed it. He has beaten us two years in a row, and had us beat twice more if Johnny hadn't saved us. His QB's produce.His receivers produce ,and they play D. They beat Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, and Miss State(at home) all in the same year. He inherited a program that was in dire shape, unlike Sumlin who inherited a heisman trophy winner and an NFL line. His record has improved every year. He is Waaaaay better than Sumlin, they don't compare
AG
quote:
Ole Miss is a known football hotbed, not sure A&M is there quite yet.

Sumlin is making strides though.

Not sure if serious
Hamburger Dan
For anyone pissing on the success of Oklahoma this year. They moved some coaches around , changed QB's, hired a popular up and comer OC that is now mentioned for UNT head job. If you watch how they play and at the speed at which they play - you have to be impressed. All this coming off a bowl down beat down last year by Clemson. Besides Alabama and Michigan State, nobody looks better or more consistent. All this happened after they peed themselves during the texas game. Their schedule is very comparable to ours. I'm no fan of Stoops, but they have worked themselves into the four team playoff and seem to be peaking at the right time.
Yell Practice
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
What they do against each other without their own players would seem to be a better measure of how good they are at "coaching" which was specifically separated out of "recruiting"
I don't see in any way, having larger context for that season, that Kevin Sumlin's coaching staff can continue to hang its hat on what they did in the 2012 season and to a lesser extent, the 2013 season.

We have since realized that our defensive scheme and coaching from early on was a bust and we've made a change there and our offense is so removed from both results and personnel responsible for those results that we bare little resemblance to that team.

quote:
If there is an argument that Freeze is better overall than Sumlin, then he barely beats him by a hair. Freeze hasn't done anything except exceed expectations and then fail to reach the new heights once expectations were exceeded just like Sumlin. Who beat who head to head in specific years has almost no bearing, esp when the sample size is 2, and in the 2 other games, Freeze blew the games almost all by his lonesome.
Continuing from above, we have 1, maybe 2 of what I would say are truly good wins since 2012. Auburn last year and Duke the year before. Our non-conference schedules have been a bust, our crossover wins have been a bust.

Meanwhile, Ole Miss has been able to do what we can't do, and that's consistently play with (and beat) the other top teams in the SEC.

0-4 against LSU, 1-3 against Alabama for A&M.

2-2 against both LSU and Alabama for Ole Miss.

Ole Miss is two games better than us in SEC play since then, having finished above us the past two years and 1 game behind us in 2013, dropping a game to us by 3 points. We won on the road, and absolutely deserve credit for it, but we were separated by a hair that season. We played the same crossover schedule, with similar results.

For that matter, they nearly beat us in 2012, it was another 3 point game.

The divide between A&M and Ole Miss this season was as wide as its been since 2012, and that's after both Sumlin and Freeze have had 4 years to recruit, coach, whatever you want to call and wherever you want to draw the lines.

I'm not going to convince you of anything, and I'm not even saying there is a huge divide between them, but to act like I'm making a completely baseless point is outrageous.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by failed to reach the new heights. He just had his best team at Ole Miss, one play away from the SEC championship game. Yes, he failed to make it to Atlanta. He must be no better than Kevin Sumlin, I guess, because we all know how close Sumlin's been getting to the SEC Championship game.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Yet earlier in the thread, it was stated that OU is only good due to their competition? This place never ceases to amaze.
I didn't say that about OU. I think OU is a good team***. Period.

***As far as OU, whatever it is, I don't really care, personally. They'll be in the playoff, we'll be in the Belk Bowl or whatever. Everyone outside College Station thinks and knows they had a better season than we did and no one else cares that we wallowed in the bottom half of the SEC versus playing in the Big 12.
TXAG 05
AG
They are better at cheating than we are.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Thats SOP in a close game involving Ole Miss in the past four years
If it wasn't SOP in Aggieland to get blown out by 2 or 3 or more touchdowns, maybe we could lose games on boneheaded calls, too.
Eminemem
Agree, Ole Miss AINT got no one
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
For anyone pissing on the success of Oklahoma this year. They moved some coaches around , changed QB's, hired a popular up and comer OC that is now mentioned for UNT head job. If you watch how they play and at the speed at which they play - you have to be impressed. All this coming off a bowl down beat down last year by Clemson. Besides Alabama and Michigan State, nobody looks better or more consistent. All this happened after they peed themselves during the texas game. Their schedule is very comparable to ours. I'm no fan of Stoops, but they have worked themselves into the four team playoff and seem to be peaking at the right time.
OU needed a miracle to beat 7-5 Tenn in OT, lost to Texas, and then barely beat Baylor and TCU when both were missing their Heisman contending QBs. Their only impressive W was OSU, and 1) Stoops owns huge swaths of real estate in Gundy's dome and 2) OSU snuck by a lot of bad teams themselves.

The eye test says OU isn't an outstanding team. They just did what Dodds was dreaming of a few years back: get through a weak conference more or less unscathed, run it up a few times against some of the crap teams, and then let name recognition do the rest. Never at any point during the season did you watch OU play and think "wow, this is a great team." They just kinda drifted along and are now in by default because somebody has to be.

If they pull the Big Ten rep, they could win a game because neither Michigan State nor Iowa is very impressive, but if they draw Alabama or Clemson in the first round of the playoffs they're going to get destroyed.
JSKolache
AG
Receivers that can catch.
mhayden
Only on Texags will you see people claim a team can drift along and wind up in the national championship game by default.

Puff you chest about being in the best conference in America then complain that the other conferences have an easier road to the national title game than we do.
mhayden
quote:
OU needed a miracle to beat 7-5 Tenn in OT

That same 7-5 Tennessee team led Alabama with 2.5 minutes to play. In Tuscaloosa.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
OU needed a miracle to beat 7-5 Tenn in OT, lost to Texas, and then barely beat Baylor and TCU when both were missing their Heisman contending QBs. Their only impressive W was OSU, and 1) Stoops owns huge swaths of real estate in Gundy's dome and 2) OSU snuck by a lot of bad teams themselves.

The eye test says OU isn't an outstanding team. They just did what Dodds was dreaming of a few years back: get through a weak conference more or less unscathed, run it up a few times against some of the crap teams, and then let name recognition do the rest. Never at any point during the season did you watch OU play and think "wow, this is a great team." They just kinda drifted along and are now in by default because somebody has to be.

If they pull the Big Ten rep, they could win a game because neither Michigan State nor Iowa is very impressive, but if they draw Alabama or Clemson in the first round of the playoffs they're going to get destroyed.
Does your eyetest look something like this?

1) Are they in the SEC? No, they're not very impressive. If two of these teams playing each other, see Step 2. Yes? impressive.

2) Big 12 team will get destroyed.

(I'm mostly just kidding with you)
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

That same 7-5 Tennessee team led Alabama with 2.5 minutes to play. In Tuscaloosa.

I feel like if anyone scraped by some lousy opponents, it was actually Clemson.

And I don't know what to really think of Alabama. You can, with the "eye test", see they're great but the SEC West had a lot lousiness in it and the one real challenger, Ole Miss, made them look downright poor at times in that game.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
quote:
We're always quick to point out any other school nabbing top recruits must be cheating, yet conveniently ignore that we land great recruiting classes despite having little-to-no national relevance outside of a non-BCS-bowl Johnny Football year since the turn of the century.

We haven't had a losing season since 2008. A year before they started pulling 5 star recruits they were 2-10
runontexas
AG
AND DO THEY HAVE SUPER BOWL TROPHIES?
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:

I feel like if anyone scraped by some lousy opponents, it was actually Clemson.

And I don't know what to really think of Alabama. You can, with the "eye test", see they're great but the SEC West had a lot lousiness in it and the one real challenger, Ole Miss, made them look downright poor at times in that game.

Agreed, was just going for the easy common opponent. As you kinda alluded to in your previous post -- for some posters the fact that Oklahoma barely beat Tennessee in Knoxville is a sign that they aren't that great... but they seem to have missed that great Alabama barely beat Tennessee in Tuscaloosa.

Which then typically leads to one of the following excuses like Rigors of the SEC schedule, Alabama wasn't "up" for that game, etc...

It comes off like Matt Leinart in 2005 saying USC was the better team while Vince Young is hoisting the trophy up. No you weren't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.