Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dancing around with a champagne bottle

16,198 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AnalogyAg
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
.......for going to a bar.

You're right. There is no other context involved.

My bad.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
its not so much that Im apologizing for him, I'm just not joining in on the media witch hunt. Some of you are so easily manipulated into making big deals out of nothing simply because someone on TV does it. I'm not apologizing for him because, at least this time, I still cant figure out what he did wrong that he should have to apologize for?

I get why the media goes after him, it drums up headlines which means ratings/clicks, what I don't get is why you nancies think this situation is anything other than media blowing nothing out of proportion. He danced with champagne on his week off?! THAT BOY NEEDS JESUS.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:

My bad.
feel free to add context that makes him no longer their best shot for winning as many games as possible for the rest of the season.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
feel free to add context that makes him no longer their best shot for winning as many games as possible for the rest of the season.

Behavior? Insubordination?
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:

do you have proof that he was insubordinate? i've not seen anything from the browns that indicates that he was told he couldn't go to a bar in his off week.

behavior? what behavior? singing a song along with others in a bar?

regardless, how does that make him no longer their best shot of winning the most games the rest of the season?
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
quote:

My bad.

Well first of all...McCown is a more experienced and better quarterback overall than Johnny right now. So there's the easy answer for no longer being their best shot to win as many games as possible.

Starting Johnny these final games was not about how many games they could win. Johnny was given the keys because McCown was banged up, and the Browns record, combined with his improvement this year warranted the opportunity for the Browns to let him start the rest of the year and see what they have in him going forward next year. He then met with his coaches and told them he would not do anything during his off time that would be a distraction or embarrassment to the team.

He then did not proceed to just "go to a bar." He flew across the country, went to a popular Austin club, went up in the DJ Booth dancing around and singing with a bottle of Dom in his hand. Talk about lacking context. There's the caveat. He was told NOT to do something, and he turned around and did it anyway.

That's just slightly different than having a beer at your local Chili's bar. That would be just "going to a bar."
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
McCown is a more experienced and better quarterback overall than Johnny right now
Ive watched quite a few browns games this year and this just isn't true.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
McCown is a more experienced and better quarterback overall than Johnny right now
Ive watched quite a few browns games this year and this just isn't true.

McCown 165/254 65% 1897 yards 252.3 yds/g. 11TD/4INT 18 Rushes, 86 yards, 1 TD
Manziel 76/128 59.4%E 993 yards 139.3 yds/g 5TD/2INT 17 Rushes 90 yards
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Okay, stats are slightly better. Doesn't really mean he's the better QB. Watch the games.
Bunk Moreland
the guy asked for context. I was in favor of Johnny starting the rest of the season. But if you want context for "winning as many games as possible the rest of the way," a better argument could be made for a healthy McCown starting than Manziel at this point.

However, as I stated above, it isnt' about winning games. It was about giving Johnny the responsibility of being the starter, and seeing how he could lead his team in a multi-game situation without the pressure of "will they or wont they" bench him. All to give him the tryout needed to decide if they are going to move forward with their investment in him as the QB of the future, or if they need to move on.

Johnny pissed all over that opportunity yet again.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I can tell you for a fact that more and more employers scour social media during the interview process and more are starting to do the same for existing employees. People are getting passed over and in some cases fired over social postings of language, photos, etc.

While I agree people should be able to drink if they want to, he knows

1. He is viewed to have a history
2. He is in the limelight
3. He knows everyone has a camera- and he is drawn to it like a moth to a light
4. He is on thin ice already and the Browns are watching everything he does- almost looking for him to fail

Yet, he is choosing partying over football. While I respect his right to make that decision, he cannot complain about the effects of his decisions in the public eye. It doesn't matter what the so called "80% of 22 year olds do"; in the total scheme of things, as they are nobody's and completely insignificant to almost 100% of the people. JFF is in the 1% of "famous" people who right or wrong will be judged in the public eye- and only he has control over what perception they will have of him. It seems like he want loves the limelight and wants to be seen as a "party animal"- again, completely his choice.

I have been and am a big JFF fan, but I struggle with the "he should demand a trade" mentality.

1. What has he done on the field that makes him a "must have" for another team? I agree he has had a horrible OL, a poor set of WRs, etc. but he has not shown any consistency in HIS play.
2. What team has the offensive mind set to let Johnny be Johnny? There are very few teams out there who have the guts "let him play" mentality. Almost ever team runs a much more disciplined offensive scheme.
3. He has not been able to show any leadership in the locker room- in fact last year, his teammates were pretty much unified against him. While a number of them have said he is better this year, the same issues are starting to reappear.
Rick Flex
AG
Some people just don't get it. "What did he do wrong" or "He was just having fun on his day off" or "That's what all of us did at 22".
First off the man has a serious alcohol problem. Even after rehab, he can't stop drinking in public... even if he knows it might jeopardize his career. He knew he was already on a short leash with the organization.
Secondly, everything changes as when you become a starting NFL QB. You're the face of the franchise, the leader of a team that's in a billion dollar industry. You better have self awareness as soon as you take that role, every decision you make will be under a microscope. There is no room for drinking, partying in public as NFL QB. And please don't compare JF to Gronk. QB compared to TE position is not even in the same ballpark when it comes to leadership and decision making. None of the great QBs in the league do this kind of crap, not Rodgers, not Brady, not Luck, not Brees. Even the young starting QBs like Cousins or Taylor, no one else except Johnny Manziel. The only good thing about his whole situation is that he still young enough to hit rock bottom and figure out all his problems are because of him, and him alone. I hope he can someday turn things around.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

do you have proof that he was insubordinate? i've not seen anything from the browns that indicates that he was told he couldn't go to a bar in his off week.

regardless, how does that make him no longer their best shot of winning the most games the rest of the season?

An NFL team is sitting down a highly paid player they spent a first round draft pick on and are highly invested in. They are doing so on a whim? Doing it in a manner that not only hurts them now but decreases his trade value too?

This is my last post on the matter. I promise you this - when it is all said and done, Johnny is going to admit that he was very, very stupid. It might be next year, 5 years, maybe 10 years from now but as he matures and realizes the chances that he squandered he will not be lamenting the fact that the Browns or the media blew things out of proportion.
'03ag
quote:
quote:
quote:

they must have because that's the only way this makes any sense.

After the Steelers game pettine praised him for his preparation and play. Says he's done everything they've asked.

They say he's the guy going forward based on those two things.

They have the bye week where players are off and ALL of them go their separate ways. This is how it is on every team. They're millionaires with nothing to do. Some have families. Some don't. Some might go out and party. It's not like they have to be at work at 8am the next morning. They all get plenty of rest and come back ready to go.

Johnny did his thing and even came back EARLY to work. This is all the browns knew or cared to know. Then the video comes out and all hell breaks loose.

The only way this makes a lick of sense is if promises were made or limits were set. And if that's the case then that is 100% on Johnny. Whether the rules are petty or not doesn't matter. He agreed to their petty rules.
mhayden
He just got demoted in his job because of his partying.

He may not have an alcohol problem, but he certainly has a decision making problem.

Is his boss being too hard on him? Maybe.

But that doesn't change that he has a boss, and his boss told him not to act a certain way and he decided to act that way and has been demoted because of it.

Welcome to the real world Johnny.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
The only way this makes a lick of sense is if promises were made or limits were set. And if that's the case then that is 100% on Johnny. Whether the rules are petty or not doesn't matter. He agreed to their petty rules.

-------

quote:
Last week, Manziel said he would neither be a distraction nor an embarrassment during his bye week. He didn't get in any legal trouble, but after the website Busted Coverage posted pictures and a since-deleted Instagram video from an Austin, Texas nightclub last Friday, Pettine spent his first post-bye press conference Tuesday answering 19 questions about Manziel and discussing a disturbing pattern of behavior.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/24/pettine-forced-finally-to-ask-for-support-in-disciplining-manziel/
permabull
AG
67walkon
All you haters just keep it up, there will be plenty of crow to go around. Its his life not yours. Does he need to stop drinking? Yes. Did he do something embarrasing??? He is a 22 year old single male. 75 % of his teammates admitted to drinking or partying on Friday or Saturday last week???? And??? We need to pray for him and support him, not rip at him. Johnny has drinks with friends and the NFL signs a multi million deal with Anheuser Bush. See any hypocrisy there?? Pulling for you Bud. The Cleveland staff is gone anyway at year end. Run Johnny Run!! Cowboys bank on it, less than an hour after he hits the waiver wires. BTHOTCB..Ravens
Barnacle
AG
quote:
He is a tragic hero and it's a damn shame because it never ends well. He hasn't hit his rock bottom yet, not even close. Hope he can pull himself out of it.
I have a feeling mommy and daddy will always bail him out so I don't see him ever truly hitting rock bottom like someone who is forced to sink or swim.
67walkon
Envy is a bad drug. Go look in the Mirror! Tell me what you see????
Barnacle
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
He could take a bunny from a little girl and kill it in front of her and people would defend him. That's the really sad part of his story.

Terrible example. Besides, what is there to defend? Going out on an off week?
He told the Browns he had cleaned up his act. He told the Browns they had nothing to worry about moving forward. He lied.

It is not about this one incident. It is about a track record of behavior proving to the Browns that they cannot trust him with the keys to their team. It is a "trust" issue, not a legal issue, or even a right/wrong issue.

Are you suggesting that Johnny can't have an alcoholic drink in public on his off weeks?

Not when he's an admitted alcoholic. 1 drink in that situation has a lot more meaning and implications than it does for most people.
'03ag
quote:

quote:
Last week, Manziel said he would neither be a distraction nor an embarrassment during his bye week. He didn't get in any legal trouble, but after the website Busted Coverage posted pictures and a since-deleted Instagram video from an Austin, Texas nightclub last Friday, Pettine spent his first post-bye press conference Tuesday answering 19 questions about Manziel and discussing a disturbing pattern of behavior.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/24/pettine-forced-finally-to-ask-for-support-in-disciplining-manziel/
I think Johnny didn't see what he did as a distraction, which is incredibly naive even if it shouldn't be a distraction. I think he figured he's have a good time. do his charity thing the next day. head back to work early and no one would give a rip. That's just flat out dumb given the microscope he's under.

As for the 19 questions all Pettine had to do was say that Johnny has prepared well, and that he came back early ready to work and that's it. Be a friggin coach and command the room. Pettine has proven himself to be a meathead.

The Browns organization has contributed to MAKING this a distraction. After the press conference the story would've died, but then they demoted him. yeah the MNF crew would've brought it up, but again if Pettine could've mitigated that by simply telling the truth and setting the narrative - Johnny has prepared hard and played well, we gave him the starting job, we gave them 5 days off and he came back after 3 ready to go and that's what's important. Tell that to the media. Tell that to MNF and this thing really dies down.
zephyr88
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

quote:

I think Johnny didn't see what he did as a distraction, which is incredibly naive even if it shouldn't be a distraction. I think he figured he's have a good time. do his charity thing the next day. head back to work early and no one would give a rip. That's just flat out dumb given the microscope he's under.

As for the 19 questions all Pettine had to do was say that Johnny has prepared well, and that he came back early ready to work and that's it. Be a friggin coach and command the room. Pettine has proven himself to be a meathead.

The Browns organization has contributed to MAKING this a distraction. After the press conference the story would've died, but then they demoted him. yeah the MNF crew would've brought it up, but again if Pettine could've mitigated that by simply telling the truth and setting the narrative - Johnny has prepared hard and played well, we gave him the starting job, we gave them 5 days off and he came back after 3 ready to go and that's what's important. Tell that to the media. Tell that to MNF and this thing really dies down.

Re read your quote:

quote:

Then you just spent a wall of text deflecting and defending him after you just said it's 100% on him. C'mon guys, it isn't that difficult. No one thinks what he did was egregious. No one is upset that he's living his life.

However, given his past, and given the situation he was just awarded, he was asked not to be a distraction, he said he wouldn't, and then he proceeded to go do just that. It sucks, but it's true.
zephyr88
AG
Yeah, "real professionals" keep it under control...

#hth #firepettine #dallscowboys
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Another person who doesn't get it. Spreadsheet updated.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Johnny will not be allowed to not be a distraction. For instance, he went to a bar on his week off and a bunch of middle aged men are making a big deal out of it. Anything he does is a big deal because he's Johnny Manziel.
zephyr88
AG
DX2011
AG
quote:
quote:

-------

quote:

And that would have been one or two questions had his answer been anything along the lines of "Johnny went home during his six days that he is required not to be in the facility. While home he went to a club and drank responsibly and stayed out of trouble. He then proceeded to come back and get to work (away from the facility) two days early, so what's the question here?"

Now if he promised to not drink, that would be a different story, but the fact that THIS action is a distraction and embarrassment to the Browns is entirely on the Browns to me. They have control over the narrative, and like every other action since he has been hired (and really since they brought the team back) Pettine handled it poorly.

As for the "went to rehab so drinking is bad no matter what" point that is used repeatedly, Johnny's camp has repeatedly put it out that he did not go to rehab for alcohol. They never specified but I'm pretty sure it related more to a certain white powder that apparently smells very good. Most say that "if your an addict your an addict and you can't use any addictive substance" which depends entirely which sobriety method you are following, and its apparent that Johnny is not following the AA/NA model. Not saying I agree just saying there are many treatment centers that don't subscribe to this line of thinking.

Again if his "promise" was to not be a distraction or be an embarrassment, I don't see the problem and the people laying blame on the ridiculous media coverage of this incident have a solid point. If the "promise" was to not drink or be seen in public, bad decision Johnny.
zephyr88
AG
'03ag
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Re read your quote:

quote:

Then you just spent a wall of text deflecting and defending him after you just said it's 100% on him. C'mon guys, it isn't that difficult. No one thinks what he did was egregious. No one is upset that he's living his life.

However, given his past, and given the situation he was just awarded, he was asked not to be a distraction, he said he wouldn't, and then he proceeded to go do just that. It sucks, but it's true.

So funny how binary this issue has become. Believe it or not you can think that Johnny was dumb for doing this, that's it's appropriate for Cleveland to follow through on whatever consequences they discussed, and still think that cleveland has mishandled Johnny from day one. This incident is further proof of that.
zephyr88
AG
Post removed:
by user
zephyr88
AG
quote:
quote:

Another person who doesn't get it. Spreadsheet updated.
c'mon bunk... i think we all get it
MondayMorningQB
AG
In the 30 for 30 inevitably the will come of this, the story will reveal how Pettine had a weird desire to show dominance over Johnny. Pettine wants Johnny to be a sycophant to him and the Browns. Turns out Johnny is gambling, as his nature, and saying I have the talent and I'm going to live how I want--either you get fired first or I get traded/let go, your move.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.