Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dancing around with a champagne bottle

16,226 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AnalogyAg
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so, on a lighter note - my Monday night just got freed up...

McCown vs. Schaub is about as exciting as watching paint dry
'03ag
quote:
Now if he promised to not drink, that would be a different story, but the fact that THIS action is a distraction and embarrassment to the Browns is entirely on the Browns to me. They have control over the narrative, and like every other action since he has been hired (and really since they brought the team back) Pettine handled it poorly.
Bingo. Johnny should be smart enough to know by now that he's not going to get any help from the media or the organization. He's got nothing to complain about with this.

That doesn't mean the Browns had to dump gasoline on the fire.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
In the 30 for 30 inevitably the will come of this, the story will reveal how Pettine had a weird desire to show dominance over Johnny. Pettine wants Johnny to be a sycophant to him and the Browns. Turns out Johnny is gambling, as his nature, and saying I have the talent and I'm going to live how I want--either you get fired first or I get traded/let go, your move.
i really hope something good comes out of all of this...

however, as a dad, this makes the "social media discussion" really, really easy
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Hey, dipsheets, why don't you just let it go? For crying our loud, it's been three years since he played here. Why do any of you care?

Oh, wait!! This is The Zoo!! It's full of 2A wannabes and armchair quarterbacks who know what's best for every football program in the galaxy! I'm so sorry for interrupting your dispensation of timeless football wisdom.

Carry on, thumb****s!!
zephyr88
AG
quote:
Hey, dipsheets, why don't you just let it go? For crying our loud, it's been three years since he played here. Why do any of you care?

Oh, wait!! This is The Zoo!! It's full of 2A wannabes and armchair quarterbacks who know what's best for every football program in the galaxy! I'm so sorry for interrupting your dispensation of timeless football wisdom.

Carry on, thumb****s!!
why do we car?

1 - JFF is an Ag
2 - Football is fun to watch
3 - Football is funner to watch when JFF plays.
4 - JFF partying helps the party image of our school.
Post removed:
by user
zephyr88
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Carry on, thumb****s!!
why do we car?

1 - JFF is an Ag
2 - Football is fun to watch
3 - Football is funner to watch when JFF plays.
4 - JFF partying helps the party image of our school.

#4 are you serious or are you 18?
neither
FriscoKid
AG
Got to give credit where credit is due. There is some amazing goaltending in this thread.
mhayden
Love all the pictures of all the other athletes partying... Some people just don't get it.

It's like walking into the office an hour late you 3rd week on the job and when the boss says something about it, you point to Johnny BigSales who has been there for 3 years and is the top salesman in the company and say "well he comes in late all the time!".

You come in late the next week and your boss sits you down again... you tell him that coming in an hour late isn't impacting your sales at all, you're still going to sell just as well.

You come in late the next week and your boss sits you down again... he tells you that you need to stop coming in late, it's expected of you to come in on time at least until you've proven something. Says you have a ton potential you just need to start putting in the work and make it in on time. You tell him you will.

Then you come in late again.

FriscoKid
AG
Ands it's not just this one time.

Parking ticket, speeding ticket, cotton bowl drinking, bird flipping, signed autographs, fight with girl friend on the side of the road. Every single time there are people that rush to defend him. Am I missing anything there walkon?
BillYeoman
This is more than just having a couple of beers in your off week. Johnny showed up in the huddle last year not knowing the plays. Johnny goes to rehab. He didn't have to go but he did (assuming he used addiction as an excuse to the Browns for not knowing the plays.). I have a feeling that the rehab facility set up post-Rehab "rules/structure" with the Browns. The Browns took time out of their day to set a structure for Johnny so he could have a successful recovery (whether the Browns org was genuine or not.).

This is on Johnny. Hopefully he sees the light and he stops wasting other people's time and money. He is a talent.

As a football fan I would like to see him get it together and in New Orleans behind Brees.

zephyr88
AG
quote:

Parking ticket, speeding ticket, cotton bowl drinking, bird flipping, signed autographs, fight with girl friend on the side of the road. Every single time there are people that rush to defend him. Am I missing anything there walkon?
Parking Ticket... you crack me up...
FriscoKid
AG
Why? I'm not saying he was right or wrong in any of those things. The defenders were out in force for even the parking ticket.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
Why? I'm not saying he was right or wrong in any of those things. The defenders were out in force for even the parking ticket.
If he violated the law of the land, he should pay the price.

If he violated the Browns' law (which he probably did), he should pay the price (which I think he is).

Pettine is still a ****.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
Counterpoint: **** tha police
zephyr88
AG
quote:
quote:
Counterpoint: **** tha police
#brownslivesmatter?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
#JohnnyLivesMatter

No wait, yours was better
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
It is not about this one incident. It is about a track record of behavior proving to the Browns that they cannot trust him with the keys to their team. It is a "trust" issue, not a legal issue, or even a right/wrong issue.
This.

The number of (I assume) young posters on this thread who don't understand employment, responsibility and trust is astounding. The number who don't understand alcohol is astounding.

Also, as has been mentioned, we don't know what else has gone into this decision. There is only one thing that we do know. This is 100% on Manziel. It's astounding just how "invisible and bullet proof" someone can think they are. Either that, or he just doesn't care. And given that with the money he's made and his family wealth the one understandable thing would be him just not caring.
I could understand this if a few other things accompanied it.

1.) Being late for practice/not showing up to practice at all
2.) Some type of incident with the police/another patron/the bar
3.) If the Browns came out and said something along the lines of "We had an agreement that Johnny wouldn't do XYZ"

However,

1.) He returned to Cleveland early and participated in (what I am assuming was) NFL mandated/suggested charity work
2.) There was no incident and nobody really knows how much he drank
3.) The Browns haven't explained their reasoning

I disagree that this is 100% on Manziel, he certainly plays a role in it, however, lets not pretend the Browns are chock full of good leaders.

A perfect example is Tyrann Mathieu and the Cardinals. He had a destructive personality but the Cardinals coaching staff and Patrick Peterson stepped in and basically controlled his life until he got his head on straight. I haven't seen any such effort from the Browns.

When you draft a high risk player, you have to have a plan to counter those risks. The Browns have invested very little time/effort into Manziel from the get go even though they knew he had a track record of making poor choices. I don't feel pity for either side, but, to blame only Manziel lacks objective analysis.

People are making comments based on their biases and life experiences. Giving a 22 year old millions of dollars and access to an extreme lifestyle while knowing they have made poor choices in the past and not choosing to do anything to help them is neglectful and wasteful and indicative of an organization with poor leadership/managerial skills.

Nobody forced the Browns to draft Manziel, but they did and did so without a plan in place.
Citizen Reign
quote:

He should not need defending for any of those actions. These things are not crimes and not worth the attention they get. Bad choices, some of them. Listing parking ticket and speeding ticket is beyond ridiculous.

Late or missing meetings and the partying that probably caused that, now that is something that should get him benched.
FriscoKid
AG
Sounds like you need to go back and read the threads on the two tickets. You are completely missing the point.
92Ag95
AG
Johnny is basically doing the equivalent of using a multi-million dollar winning lottery ticket to light his party cigar.

Not too bright.

zephyr88
AG
quote:
Sounds like you need to go back and read the threads on the two tickets. You are completely missing the point.
this is worth reading... link???
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
quote:
this is worth reading... link???

I don't have stars. Someone else would have to find it. You are right though. Those two ticket threads would be nice bumps.
FriscoKid
AG
Almost got the sheriff or judge fired due to the Texags backlash in defense of Johnny.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
Almost got the sheriff or judge fired due to the Texags backlash in defense of Johnny.

I think i remember this. The judge was an a-hole about it, right?

Edit - here it is. Judge had it coming because of .......wait for it.........social media. Unwanted attention applies to everyone.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/17/judge-texas-manziel-ticket-facebook/1842877/@
Citizen Reign
quote:
link?
FriscoKid
AG
Posted. Enjoy
coupland boy
AG
Another.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/21570022/over-exuberant-judge-posts-about-johnny-manziels-speeding-ticket-on-facebook
jml2621
Johnny completed an axis of evil triumvirate by attending a charity event and showing up for practice early.

OH THE HUMANITY!
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Johnny completed an axis of evil triumvirate by attending a charity event and showing up for practice early.

OH THE HUMANITY!
clearly a liability to the team
Jackass2004
AG
As I have said before, you are a weak minded person if you have allowed the media to convince yourself that this is some big tragedy/deal. This really is no big ****ing deal.

But then again we have allowed ourselves to think that trannies are normal people due to the media. Whatever.
Citizen Reign
quote:
Posted. Enjoy
Guess I'm confused by what point you are trying to make.

Johnny gets a ticket and even a judge can't go without his shot at disgracing Johnny on social media. A ticket! That judge should be punched in the face for acting like a 16-year-old girl.
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
quote:
Posted. Enjoy
Guess I'm confused by what point you are trying to make.

Johnny gets a ticket and even a judge can't go without his shot at disgracing Johnny on social media. A ticket! That judge should be punched in the face for acting like a 16-year-old girl.

What don't you understand? It doesn't matter what offense Johnny commits. People have defended him every single time.
cecil77
AG
Note: When I assert that "this is 100% on Manziel" what I mean is that Manziel is in 100% control of his own actions, and his own actions could prevent these situations. As incompotent/unworthy/dumb/uncaring/stupid/whatever as one may believe the Browns organization is, Manziel's actions are his own. He could have prevented this, but freely chose not to.
Wade_3
AG
If you look through the Brown's press conference, this is likely a 1-2 game deal. he will be the starter again by the end of the year, assuming he doesn't go out drinking anymore, or whatever other social restrictions the browns put on him.

Its a shame a veteran player wasn't there to help guide him (such as Dansby or McCown). Or, conversely, that Manziel didn't listen to said player.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.