Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Johnny gets benched

41,793 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
because of rehab he cannot touch alcohol ever again? What happened to self discipline? Can he not have the opportunity to show self discipline like not partying during a game week?

Is he reduced to house arrest or the Canadian football league?

You don't understand how this works, do you?
AGinHI
AG
quote:
quote:
If Johnny wasn't an Aggie (and the phenomenal college football player that he was) and played for a rival school (e.g., Baylor), many of us, if not all, would be giddy watching him crash and burn.
Wow, never thought I would live to see the day that anyone respected baylor enough to call them a rival. When I was in school we called them our ******!

Same here.

But, right now we're competing for the same recruits and we're competing to be the best in Texas.

That makes us rivals.

Doesn't mean I have any respect for 'em.
SeattleAgJr
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not drinking alcohol at all is still letting it control you. The premise of your argument is flawed from the beginning. Go find the Ted talk I posted earlier.
jeffdjohnson
quote:
So because of rehab he cannot touch alcohol ever again? What happened to self discipline? Can he not have the opportunity to show self discipline like not partying during a game week?

Is he reduced to house arrest or the Canadian football league?

It's not about partying. It's about his horrible play, lack of focus, rehab stint and domestic violence investigation. He very likely made promises to the organization that he would keep a low profile over the bye week. This was yet another betrayal of organizational trust and that is what will finish him in Cleveland. Not partying.

There is no clear path to him ever getting another starting job in the NFL again. Any team he gets picked up by will be looking at him as an expendable backup. This was a huge blow to Manziel's career.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
"Yeah!" Ben Roethlisberger/Jay Cutler/Peyton manning/Eli Manning/Matt Stafford/Rob Gronkowski/tom Brady
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
Here is a Ted talk to show how ignorant your view of addiction is.

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong/transcript?language=en
Sorry, I don't do homework assignments from internet message board posters.

But whatever it says is irrelevant. The way rehab works is that the abuser swears off all drugs and alcohol. Regardless of what you think my view of addiction is, that's how these programs work.
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:

Johnny is not a sports star? LOL! You have no idea what you are talking about.

And by the way, the Browns are anything but a team.
He was a college sports star a few years ago.

Since then, he has been only a celebrity. Not a sports star.

HTH, as always.

Monday night football rating would beg to differ.

Remind me again, who on the Browns played better than JFF against the Steelers? IS there anyone on the Browns playing lights out? Nope! The media needs to redirect their anger towards Pettine.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Oh so you are just trolling then. Carry on.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
quote:

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong/transcript?language=en

But whatever it says is irrelevant. The way rehab works is that the abuser swears off all drugs and alcohol. Regardless of what you think my view of addiction is, that's how these programs work.
Hate to break it to you, but they don't actually work 90% of the time.

Edit: Which, coincidentally, is about the recovery rate of people quitting on their own.
Bryanisbest
AG
Chip off the chip off the block is never going to change. The G O A T of football, bars and con. Best by far I ever saw at Kyle Field in over 60 years. It is so sad to watch it play out. Some day he will hit total bottom and realize what he wasted.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
What part of "getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham" do you not understand?

Do you know anything about rehab?

So because of rehab he cannot touch alcohol ever again?
Yep, that's how rehab works. Any other questions?
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:
Amen!

Now all the talking heads on ESPN keep bringing up this "face of a franchise" crap. The face of the franchise should be determined by accomplishments on the field. It's like they forget that this is about entertainment and not living a PC life.

Meanwhile, all of Congress can go out and party balls any night of the week.

GM's, and owners want a wallflower guy to make them feel safe about their high dollar draft picks. Guess what? The real risk is in injury.

It's beyond dumb to pay so much for a guy and then not give him a shot at the entire season. If he falls back into his first year ways, trade him.

Exactly. None of them give a **** Roethlisberger raped a chick Or that Eli Manning is mentally disabled, and they are both faces of their respective franchises.
Roethlisberger and Mannaing had already earned their keep with their performances on the field. Johnny hasn't done sh.t.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
What part of "getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham" do you not understand?

Except rehab does not actually work.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just so we are clear, you are saying you are fine with rape as long as the play well, but not if they aren't?

Also, Eli partied all the way from the beginning l.
45-70Ag
AG
What rehab place preaches moderation rather than abstinence from whatever you're addicted to?
72jag
AG
Just a spoiled freaking rich brat that gets what he deserved. The Browns are better of whether they win or lose without that bratty kid.
misterguinness
AG
quote:
Just a spoiled freaking rich brat that gets what he deserved. The Browns are better of whether they win or lose without that bratty kid.
Lots of jealousy in this post
Unemployed
AG
quote:
Just so we are clear, you are saying you are fine with rape as long as the play well, but not if they aren't?

Also, Eli partied all the way from the beginning l.
Child please...you know damn well that's not what I meant. I know you ain't that fking stupid.

Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
quote:
Amen!

Now all the talking heads on ESPN keep bringing up this "face of a franchise" crap. The face of the franchise should be determined by accomplishments on the field. It's like they forget that this is about entertainment and not living a PC life.

Meanwhile, all of Congress can go out and party balls any night of the week.

GM's, and owners want a wallflower guy to make them feel safe about their high dollar draft picks. Guess what? The real risk is in injury.

It's beyond dumb to pay so much for a guy and then not give him a shot at the entire season. If he falls back into his first year ways, trade him.

Exactly. None of them give a **** Roethlisberger raped a chick Or that Eli Manning is mentally disabled, and they are both faces of their respective franchises.
Roethlisberger and Mannaing had already earned their keep with their performances on the field. Johnny hasn't done sh.t.
Dear God! Roethlisberger was accused of rape.

I guess the face of the Steelers is rape face.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
Oh so you are just trolling then. Carry on.
If you care to make a point, I'll consider it. But I'm not going to go watch a 15-minute video and try to extract a point out of it and attribute that to you. Sorry, I'm not going to do that much work on your behalf.

HTH.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Food addiction, a lot of sex addiction, I could keep going.

That's why a lot of rehab places don't work.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Lots of jealousy in this post

Criticism of Manziel doesn't mean jealous of Manziel.

That's probably not true for the 17-23 crowd I suppose
Definitely Not A Cop
rangerdanger
AG
JFF needs to host one last epic party this weekend, invite all his teammates, and hire a huge bouncer to throw Pettine out on his ass if he shows up.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hate to break it to you, but they don't actually work 90% of the time.

Edit: Which, coincidentally, is about the recovery rate of people quitting on their own.
Also irrelevant. The rehab either was a sham, or "failed to work", but either way Johnny failed to meet the criteria set out by the team for him to get another chance.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What was your point then?
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
Food addiction, a lot of sex addiction, I could keep going.

That's why a lot of rehab places don't work.

But they do work. A lot of them. I could keep going
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It worked for my brother. He was addicted to heroin, went to rehab, and has been sober for 18 years.

He has not had a drop of alcohol in all that time. If he had, he would no longer consider himself sober.
Ragoo
AG
so now we are all experts on addiction and have diagnosed Johnny as an addict?

this place is unreal
Red Skye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It worked for my brother. He was addicted to heroin, went to rehab, and has been sober for 18 years.
Excellent sample size.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
so now we are all experts on addiction and have diagnosed Johnny as an addict?

this place is unreal

Its the equivalent of saying he has no problems and is a model citizen.
Post removed:
by user
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Excellent sample size.
You made the blanket statement that "rehab doesn't work". Thus I only had to provide a single counterexample to prove you wrong.

HTH you learn how to argue competently in the future.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Basically that the American views and treatment of addiction is completely based off of one stupid test with rats choosing water with Heroin in it over clean water. There is no such thing as addiction, it is just a crutch we lean on to justify our actions on why we want to do bad things.

If you give enough responsibility and care to someone, then they are much less likely to go down a self destructive path.

It's extremely interesting, and shows how ridiculous the whole concept of the 12 step program besides the fact that you get cutoff from the object long enough to where your system is clean.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.