Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Johnny gets benched

41,636 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
JP_Losman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pettine is obsessed with his authority over JFF.
He craves being the one who controls the fate of a mega celebrity.
The buck stops with Pettine and he loves the attention
sharpdressedman
quote:
Time for Johnny to get out of Cleveland.
fify
AGinHI
AG
If Johnny wasn't an Aggie (and the phenomenal college football player that he was) and played for a rival school (e.g., Baylor), many of us, if not all, would be giddy watching him crash and burn.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
Nope. Just someone who doesn't give a **** what people do off the field. Just like I don't care about Greg Hardy (along with everyone else until the pictures came out). I watch football because it is fun to watch. I don't give a **** what they do in their spare time. Anyone who looks up to players as role models is the real schmuck, 98% of these players are ahole Prima Donnas. But the sanctimonious wet spots here only get mad at the players that ESPN's agenda sets for y'all.
It's simple. Johnny sucked last year and didn't take his job seriously. Pettine giving Johnny another chance was contingent upon him going to rehab and taking it seriously. Getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham. Hence the benching. This has nothing to do with a player being a role model, or "ESPN's agenda". This is a coach holding a player accountable. Pettine may be a ****ty coach, but he's right on this.

He went to a club 2 weeks before the next game, this is not like last year where he was out the night before a game. Oh and by the way he just finished his best statistical game in the NFL and had the 2nd best QBR that week. If you can't tell a difference then I'm sorry because such stupidity is terminal.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
The Browns just went from being a stinky fart to diarrhea.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
It's simple. Johnny sucked last year and didn't take his job seriously. Pettine giving Johnny another chance was contingent upon him going to rehab and taking it seriously. Getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham. Hence the benching. This has nothing to do with a player being a role model, or "ESPN's agenda". This is a coach holding a player accountable. Pettine may be a ****ty coach, but he's right on this.
He went to a club 2 weeks before the next game, this is not like last year where he was out the night before a game. Oh and by the way he just finished his best statistical game in the NFL and had the 2nd best QBR that week. If you can't tell a difference then I'm sorry because such stupidity is terminal.
What part of "getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham" do you not understand?

Do you know anything about rehab?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm guessing that he went to rehab for drugs and alcohol was never that big of an issue.
When you go to rehab for drugs, you don't have the option to just switch to alcohol. To maintain sobriety, you have to stay off both.
way to skip the question, I'll offer it again. Is his choice house arrest or Canadian football?
combat wombat™
AG
While I understand that staying sober means NO alcohol, is there any evidence that he was dtunk?
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm guessing that he went to rehab for drugs and alcohol was never that big of an issue.
When you go to rehab for drugs, you don't have the option to just switch to alcohol. To maintain sobriety, you have to stay off both.
way to skip the question, I'll offer it again. Is his choice house arrest or Canadian football?
The question is irrelevant, because it is based on the false premise that the offense was insignificant.
Texags is garbage
I wonder how much ad revenue JFF has generated for 'journalists' over the past few years.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Here is a Ted talk to show how ignorant your view of addiction is.

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong/transcript?language=en
Citizen Reign
quote:
What am I missing? You can't go out on a bye weekend? He's JFF, people are going to film and document everything, but did he actually do something wrong (drugs, dui, etc)?
Remeber, guilty until proven innocent.

Pettine wants everyone to believe that Johnny is the issue. Anyone with half a brain can see that Pettine has no DL, OL, or RBs. He has literally failed at every part of his job.

The owner of that ****show needs to fire Pettine and get a guy that can build a team that everyone wants to be a part of.
TexAgs91
AG
quote:
If I was a Browns season ticket owner I would be furious that they aren't playing the best quarterback.
Browns season ticket owner...
ignatiusreilly2
You Manziel apologists are the worst. The guy is a train wreck. Thanks for the memories but he's become an absolute embarrassment. "Oh but it's just because he's Johnny... Oh nothing everyone else isn't doing... Oh He's a sports star not a role model... Oh b-b-b-but he's an Aggie!!"
The last bit of BS kills me the most. He was/is true face of our program and, for better or worse, a role model for a lot of kids growing up in Texas. It's just how it is in this state. He has unequivocally lost all of my respect with the disaster that has unfolded in the last 3 years. He had every chance in the world to make good and can't figure it out.
I'm done.
TexAgs91
AG
Sorry Johnny but you did this to yourself. Dumbass gonna dumbass
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
What part of "getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham" do you not understand?

Do you know anything about rehab?

So because of rehab he cannot touch alcohol ever again? What happened to self discipline? Can he not have the opportunity to show self discipline like not partying during a game week?

Is he reduced to house arrest or the Canadian football league?
SeattleAgJr
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The question is irrelevant, because it is based on the false premise that the offense was insignificant.

holding alcohol at a club 2 weeks before the next game is significant?
Red Skye
AG
quote:
You Manziel apologists are the worst. The guy is a train wreck. Thanks for the memories but he's become an absolute embarrassment. "Oh but it's just because he's Johnny... Oh nothing everyone else isn't doing... Oh He's a sports star not a role model... Oh b-b-b-but he's an Aggie!!"
The last bit of BS kills me the most. He was/is true face of our program and, for better or worse, a role model for a lot of kids growing up in Texas. It's just how it is in this state. He has unequivocally lost all of my respect with the disaster that has unfolded in the last 3 years. He had every chance in the world to make good and can't figure it out.
I'm done.
rangerdanger
AG
Maybe Pettine AND JFF are both idiots.
Unemployed
AG
He has been criticized for partying too much. Was told to lay low and not do anything to bring bad publicity to himself and the team. Got named the starter for the rest of the year to see what he can do.

Promptly goes out partying with his boys. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But within the context of how he is perceived and how everybody is waiting for his next misstep, it was a bad move.

Don't know how you guys are defending his actions. He's either spoiled, don't just care, or a dumb ass.

Citizen Reign
quote:
Nope. Just someone who doesn't give a **** what people do off the field. Just like I don't care about Greg Hardy (along with everyone else until the pictures came out). I watch football because it is fun to watch. I don't give a **** what they do in their spare time. Anyone who looks up to players as role models is the real schmuck, 98% of these players are ahole Prima Donnas. But the sanctimonious wet spots here only get mad at the players that ESPN's agenda sets for y'all.
Amen!

Now all the talking heads on ESPN keep bringing up this "face of a franchise" crap. The face of the franchise should be determined by accomplishments on the field. It's like they forget that this is about entertainment and not living a PC life.

Meanwhile, all of Congress can go out and party balls any night of the week.

GM's, and owners want a wallflower guy to make them feel safe about their high dollar draft picks. Guess what? The real risk is in injury.

It's beyond dumb to pay so much for a guy and then not give him a shot at the entire season. If he falls back into his first year ways, trade him.
jsdaltxag
Part of the issue is him trying to pass it off as an old video. Does he think we are all stupid. Thats what gets you demoted to 3rd string. He won't sniff a field in the NFL again.
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
I'm done.
He is not a "sports star". He is a celebrity that is on a sports team.

Johnny is not a sports star? LOL! You have no idea what you are talking about.

And by the way, the Browns are anything but a team.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
If Johnny wasn't an Aggie (and the phenomenal college football player that he was) and played for a rival school (e.g., Baylor), many of us, if not all, would be giddy watching him crash and burn.
Wow, never thought I would live to see the day that anyone respected baylor enough to call them a rival. When I was in school we called them our ******!
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
I'm done.

The guy got drafted by the Browns, their last 20 have been train wrecks. I am a Johnny apologist because he hasn't done anything bad (outside of possibly hitting his girlfriend which I would have big issue with.)
freethechief
The DJ in the video looks like Johnny's lil buddy from Kerrville, Uncle Nate.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Amen!

Now all the talking heads on ESPN keep bringing up this "face of a franchise" crap. The face of the franchise should be determined by accomplishments on the field. It's like they forget that this is about entertainment and not living a PC life.

Meanwhile, all of Congress can go out and party balls any night of the week.

GM's, and owners want a wallflower guy to make them feel safe about their high dollar draft picks. Guess what? The real risk is in injury.

It's beyond dumb to pay so much for a guy and then not give him a shot at the entire season. If he falls back into his first year ways, trade him.

Exactly. None of them give a **** Roethlisberger raped a chick Or that Eli Manning is mentally disabled, and they are both faces of their respective franchises.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm done.

The guy got drafted by the Browns, their last 20 have been train wrecks. I am a Johnny apologist because he hasn't done anything bad (outside of possibly hitting his girlfriend which I would have big issue with.)

Seeing as how he was cleared from that incident and her injury was consistent with his story that he stopped the crazy from jumping out of a moving vehicle I would say that he has done nothing that inhibits his ability to play NFL grade football this year.
SeattleAgJr
zephyr88
AG
yeah, Johnny - keep 'em looking elsewhere... it's just you out there partying

rojack
AG
As an alcoholic, I understand exactly where Johnny is in his stage. Its hard to quit until one has that sudden event in their life. Sadly, most alcoholics never do recover. Hope JF has that upheaval.
Bobaloo
It's just sad. I so want to defend JF but it is really impossible. An addict, by definition, continues a behavior even though he knows it is destructive. I'm not sure JF is an addict because he doesn't realize it is destructive. The larger issue is the reckless nature of his actions. Good God! Surely he knows every young person on the planet is rolling video at such a party. He was handed the reigns of an NFL team last week for the balance of the season. Still he could not nut it up for six weeks and walk the straight and narrow. If he's looking for an activity to kill time on the long weekends then hook up with a couple of ladies and be done with it but keep the bottle out of your hand.

Selfishly I'm pissed because I'll be on the road Monday and was looking forward to MNF. Morter Forker!
Olsen
AG
JFF needs to ask for a trade immediately and to a legit NFL team.
cmsaggie12
AG
quote:
As an alcoholic, I understand exactly where Johnny is in his stage. Its hard to quit until one has that sudden event in their life. Sadly, most alcoholics never do recover. Hope JF has that upheaval.
I don't think Johnny is an alcoholic. He's not showing up to the facility drunk. He's not drinking every day- getting DUIs. He's addicted to the party. The Scene. The center of attention. Some guys can't sit at home on a Thurs/Friday/Saturday night. Some guys just can't do it. My college roommate at A&M was one of those guys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.