Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Johnny gets benched

41,773 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nope. Just someone who doesn't give a **** what people do off the field. Just like I don't care about Greg Hardy (along with everyone else until the pictures came out). I watch football because it is fun to watch. I don't give a **** what they do in their spare time. Anyone who looks up to players as role models is the real schmuck, 98% of these players are ahole Prima Donnas. But the sanctimonious wet spots here only get mad at the players that ESPN's agenda sets for y'all.
pablof
yeah, in Canada running from the LAW! punk!
DM44
The plan is working.

Manziel wants to get away from Cleveland, Pettine and the Cleveland press that watches his every move.

Manziel could not play and do well in Cleveland at the end of this season.

If Manziel played decently in Cleveland, he's either stuck there or will be traded to whomever Cleveland wants to.

Now (1) he will be cut at the end of the season, (2) will not get hurt and (3) can have a say in where he goes.

For a bonus, Cleveland may lose every remaining game and Pettine will get fired too.

Jerry Jones is already chilling a bottle of Dom Perignon for when he signs Johnnie.

Bah-Ha-Ha-Ha!!!!!

Or, Manziel gets cut and that will be the end of his football career before it ever really began.
zephyr88
AG
So, now he doesn't even get 2nd team reps???

Damn, the Browns really, really don't care about winning. ****ing joke of an organization.
AGHouston11
AG
quote:
Is that 13 second video it? So, he danced and sang along to some crappy music while holding a bottle?? Wow...I'm glad no one records my weekends.

So this was it?
55-99
AG
quote:
I swear Pettine is trying his best to burn the organization down before he gets the boot. Not that it needs much help but come the **** on man.

I am not apologizing for Manziels actions but last time I checked he was a grown ass man on his off week. He didn't get arrested. He didn't beat someone up. He didn't beat his girlfriend. He is doing much better and progressing steadily as a player.

He was out having fun like 98% of young NFL players do on their bye weeks. A couple nights of blowing off steam. But for some damned reason the media watches him and just him in the main like a *******ed hawk.

And now he gets burned for it.

[url=http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Eliminatus/media/s715d8h.jpg.html][/url]
We don't know what he promised the Browns after rehab. We don't know what he promised the Browns after his incident with the girlfriend.

Acting like an idiot is not acceptable for a guy who KNOWS he's going to be filmed and talked about EVERYWHERE. He's turned into the football version of Lindsay Lohan.
rlb28
AG
My presumption would be that the posters on here who think there's nothing wrong with Johnny Manziel partying on bye weeks are likely less than 25 years old. More mature people understand that the NFL is a business, and one that frowns upon that type of behavior. Sure it's legal, but is it the right thing to do in relation with how the organization has asked you to act?

My son has a friend who was drafted ahead of Manziel by the same organization. His actions have landed him on the inactive list more than a first-rounder should. His downfall - reporting late to team meetings, partying on the weeknds, etc... nothing illegal, but the franchise make the rules. When will you people understand that? Johnny Football doesn't make the rules!
Artorias
AG
quote:
He didn't do anything illegal, but he has been in rehab, and essentially promised the Browns organization to be on his best behavior. This coupled with the incident a couple months ago is just a black eye for the Browns and they are tired of the bad press. NFL teams want QB's who are leaders and outstanding citizens and role models. Not spoiled,rich kids. The Browns took a risk when they drafted him hoping he would change his ways. He as yet to do so.

I find it funny that so many want to defend him.

This x 1,000,000.

Is it illegal for an adult to drink or go out? No.

- But when you are an admitted alcoholic fresh out of rehab
- after admitting that drinking/partying adversely affected your performance last year
- and your employer is paying you millions of dollars not only to perform, but to represent the franchise in everything you do
- (news flash, pro athletes don't get private lives, it is part of the package of playing in the NFL, deal with it)
- and you just had a very public incident with alleged domestic abuse after you admitted drinking earlier that day
- and you decide it is a good idea to go out and party at the clubs, pose for people taking video of you holding a bottle of booze...
- your employer is every bit within their right to take action, which they did.

I love Johnny and hope he can pull it together and have a great NFL career. But if anyone on here wants to blame the Browns for doing something about Johnny, and act like they wouldn't do the exact same thing if they were the owner of a franchise who had an unproven loose cannon player like Johnny causing constant PR headaches, you are either lying or have zero business sense.

Kashchei
AG
Please sweet baby Jesus let Johnny be cut. Then Jerruh can pick him up for cheap!
rlb28
AG
quote:
I hope all of you giving him **** don't get drunk on the weekend.
I wouldn't if my employer (who is paying me millions of dollars) asked me not to get drunk on the weekends. Is it really that hard?
hunter2012
AG
So is the national consensus that johnny cannot be seen in a setting with alcohol ever again? When is there video released of him in a walmart with the beer aisle behind him? how many games suspension would that be worth?

I'm guessing that he went to rehab for drugs and alcohol was never that big of an issue. Getting dropped to 3rd string for being in a club is ridiculous. Is his choice really house arrest or Canadian football? I ask because this incident is so insignificant that it appears that Pettine, the NFL, ESPN, and twitter expect Johnny to be a hermit.
Artorias
AG
quote:
quote:
I wouldn't if my employer (who is paying me millions of dollars) asked me not to get drunk on the weekends. Is it really that hard?
Or atleast don't go out to clubs and pose for people taking video of you holding a bottle. Party at your damn house. Keep it private.

AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
quote:
What am I missing? You can't go out on a bye weekend? He's JFF, people are going to film and document everything, but did he actually do something wrong (drugs, dui, etc)?

Which is why he'll demand a trade

He should know better by now...seriously. He really should.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
This was his perfect chance to come out with the W as a starter. Ravens on MNF. JFF on MNF. The whole nation would be watching. Dammit Johnny - not that you did anything illegal or even wrong - but you had to know Pettine had you on the shortest of leashes.
This. What an idiot.
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
Nope. Just someone who doesn't give a **** what people do off the field. Just like I don't care about Greg Hardy (along with everyone else until the pictures came out). I watch football because it is fun to watch. I don't give a **** what they do in their spare time. Anyone who looks up to players as role models is the real schmuck, 98% of these players are ahole Prima Donnas. But the sanctimonious wet spots here only get mad at the players that ESPN's agenda sets for y'all.

Hence my initial "whether it's unfair or not" statement. He knows the light that's on him, and he still can't stay away. I'm not saying he will never play again, but he's not very good at understanding where he stands with his current team, with the league, and with public perception in order to play now.
Martin Cash
AG
Bobby Lane, Joe Namath and a ton of other good players would have never made it to the Hall of Fame under today's microscope.
combat wombat™
AG
He needs to read the JJJ Watt Handbook for Hard Work and Good Behavior.

Hope he's been saving and investing his money wisely; I'm not sure when another opportunity such as this will come knocking. I hope it does because I really enjoy watching him okay.

That being said, it sure does seem to me that he's being held to a higher standard than most. However, he should be aware of that and act accordingly.
Texas A&M
It is hard to feel sorry for Johnny anymore. I still hope he gets it turned around, but he's making many Aggie fans look like they have the football version of 'battered women's syndrome'.
hunter2012
AG
ESPN would rather have Johnny sober than be a great QB.
Artorias
AG
quote:
He needs to read the JJJ Watt Handbook for Hard Work and Good Behavior.

Hope he's been saving and investing his money wisely; I'm not sure when another opportunity such as this will come knocking. I hope it does because I really enjoy watching him okay.

That being said, it sure does seem to me that he's being held to a higher standard than most. However, he should be aware of that and act accordingly.
He knows he's got the family oil money waiting back home.
Motel California
S
quote:
quote:
Quite possibly the most irresponsible and out of control athlete ever. Not one mistake.. But over and over and essentially the same old thing
Astounding overstatement.

I've lost count how many times he's been in the negative light
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
My son has a friend who was drafted ahead of Manziel by the same organization. His actions have landed him on the inactive list more than a first-rounder should. His downfall - reporting late to team meetings, partying on the weeknds, etc... nothing illegal, but the franchise make the rules. When will you people understand that? Johnny Football doesn't make the rules!

You can say Justin Gilbert. It's not exactly a secret.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
quote:

They chose him knowing exactly what they would get.
knoxtom
How do you guys keep defending Manziel?

It just proves that Manziel's entire rehab thing was just another act. He just doesn't get it. He acts like a high school sophomore. There is not a single other NFL team that will take this idiot. Even Jerry Jones is learning his lesson about these idiot NFL guys.

What an embarrassment.

Do we have a single NFL player who projects class? Von always humping like a dog, Manziel drinking like a 17 year old, Bennett saying his Bennett things, Michael smoking out in the team plane and falling asleep at meetings, Tannehill laying into a practice squad player for playing to hard, we are so embarrassing.

Is there anyone who doesn't cringe any time an Aggie player is mentioned on ESPN. 99% of the time it is going to be bad.

Lot Y Tailgate
AG
If I was a Browns season ticket owner I would be furious that they aren't playing the best quarterback.
Ag03 CQE
AG
What happened to the reports that the video was actually old and not from his bye week?
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
It's simple. Johnny sucked last year and didn't take his job seriously. Pettine giving Johnny another chance was contingent upon him going to rehab and taking it seriously. Getting drunk in public shows that the rehab was a sham. Hence the benching. This has nothing to do with a player being a role model, or "ESPN's agenda". This is a coach holding a player accountable. Pettine may be a ****ty coach, but he's right on this.
Red Skye
AG
Some of you are pretty horrible Aggies. Or horn trolls. I understand that Manziel's on very thin ice, but until he's actually kicked out of the league, I will root like hell for him. You know, because he's an Aggie and he's done absolutely nothing to this point that merits this type of scrutiny (other than an alleged fight with his girlfriend). There is also no denying that Pettine has managed this situation about as horribly as possible.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
I'm guessing that he went to rehab for drugs and alcohol was never that big of an issue.
When you go to rehab for drugs, you don't have the option to just switch to alcohol. To maintain sobriety, you have to stay off both.
pablof
Red Skye, calling out the horrible Ags for not supporting a Horrible AG!!!
Red Skye
AG
quote:
Red Skye, calling out the horrible Ags for not supporting a Horrible AG!!!

Pray tell why Johnny is "a Horrible AG!!!"
BlackHillsAg99
AG
quote:
This was his perfect chance to come out with the W as a starter. Ravens on MNF. JFF on MNF. The whole nation would be watching. Dammit Johnny - not that you did anything illegal or even wrong - but you had to know Pettine had you on the shortest of leashes.

This. I have no idea if he is an addict or not, but what makes me wonder if might be is this self sabatoging BS.

1. You know that going out and acting like an idiot is going to get noticed. 2. You know that even if you did nothing wrong and that was your only beer of the night, if that gets noticed it's bad press because of all the other times it wasn't the only beer of the night. 3. You know that you have finally earned your shot and, whether you screw up or not, if it even looks a little like you did you are done.

If you know all of those things and you still go out and party in public, then you actually might be an addict.

That, or you are seriously narcissistic.

Or you are an idiot.

And now you are a 3rd string quarterback.
blumpkin
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
How do you guys keep defending Manziel?

It just proves that Manziel's entire rehab thing was just another act. He just doesn't get it. He acts like a high school sophomore. There is not a single other NFL team that will take this idiot. Even Jerry Jones is learning his lesson about these idiot NFL guys.

What an embarrassment.

Do we have a single NFL player who projects class? Von always humping like a dog, Manziel drinking like a 17 year old, Bennett saying his Bennett things, Michael smoking out in the team plane and falling asleep at meetings, Tannehill laying into a practice squad player for playing to hard, we are so embarrassing.

Is there anyone who doesn't cringe any time an Aggie player is mentioned on ESPN. 99% of the time it is going to be bad.

Von's dance moves are entertaining (and his latest ones are from a Scott and Peele skit).
Bennet cracks me up with what he says.
Tannehill's wife is hot and she's an ag.

and there's plenty of other ag's in the NFL, you just don't hear about them because they are being classy but classy isn't exactly newsworthy.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
If you know all of those things and you still go out and party in public, then you actually might be an addict.

That, or you are seriously narcissistic.

Or you are an idiot.
Or all of the above.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.