Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN cutting costs by over 250 million in the next two years

30,494 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgsForTheWin
Ex-liberalag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Unfortunately, getting rid of the LHN will actually increase the sips television exposure.
BAAAAMMM !!!
malenurse
AG
quote:
focus on real sports and live events.
What the hell?
Dad
AG
What is their overall budget?
W
AG
a few more suggestions for ESPN...

- drop some of the bowl games -- quit propping up the ones that lose money

- don't need 5 commentators for the NFL Countdown show -- 3 would be enough

- get back to focusing primarily on sports and stop turning everything into a political or social issue/dialogue
45-70Ag
AG
Kill outside the lines
Get rid of bob ley
Quit covering the nba
Post removed:
by user
BlitzBrother
Interesting , I believe that is the Netflix subscriber canceling live TV - That not the average sport fan , but net result same as revenue drops - Programming to be much more rifle approached .
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports. Around the turn of the decade they made what seemed to me to be a strong effort to report more about the personalities in sports than the sports themselves. Before 2010 sportscenter almost exclusively played highlights of games from the night before. Now they talk about tweets, personal drama, and the lives of athletes for the first 20 minutes of the show before they even attempt to show a highlight. Between all the drama LeBron had with leaving Cleveland, and the summer of Manziel, they basically turned into TMZ. It's nauseating and I hope they go back to being the world wide leader in sports, not the world wide leader in sports celebrity drama.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports. Around the turn of the decade they made what seemed to me to be a strong effort to report more about the personalities in sports than the sports themselves. Before 2010 sportscenter almost exclusively played highlights of games from the night before. Now they talk about tweets, personal drama, and the lives of athletes for the first 20 minutes of the show before they even attempt to show a highlight. Between all the drama LeBron had with leaving Cleveland, and the summer of Manziel, they basically turned into TMZ. It's nauseating and I hope they go back to being the world wide leader in sports, not the world wide leader in sports celebrity drama.

txsportsman10
AG
Walt Disney was a horrible person and I wish I could unplug his corpse from the freezer so he could rot
Cosmo57
quote:
Free advice for ESPN---cut out all the phony "debate" shows (Skip Bayless, etc.), eliminate all the corny Jim Valvano-type commercials, focus on real sports and live events.
Those debate shows are cheap programing. No rights fees. Two morons sitting around in a studio yelling at each other for an hour five days a week.

The LHN has a 15 year contract so it's not going anywhere unless ESPN decides it's cheaper to shut it down and eat the rights fee.

No question ESPN has become fat and bloated. How many college football, NBA, NFL experts do you need?

The real killer though is rights fees. With competition from fox, NBC, the NFL network, the MLB network ect. rights fees continue to go through the ceiling while the viewership pie is getting slice thinner and thinner.
Sean98
AG
quote:

You are not alone. I watch sports programming every day and I haven't turned on ESPN since the day after the college football national title game except to watch Aggie baseball games.

That said I loathe basketball, college and pro, so it's easy for me to skip out from January through August.
bonfarr
AG
quote:
Invest heavily in college football, nfl and soccer and dump everything else.

Lost me at soccer.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
Walt Disney was a horrible person and I wish I could unplug his corpse from the freezer so he could rot

Go on, tell me more.
general ulysses
AG
quote:
Noble07
AG
quote:
Before 2010 sportscenter almost exclusively played highlights of games from the night before. Now they talk about tweets, personal drama, and the lives of athletes for the first 20 minutes of the show before they even attempt to show a highlight.
I watch highlights online. I guess they figure most people will do that so they need to create a talk show format to generate interest. But that does sound terrible to watch.

They make a lot of money on people that pay for cable/satelite that don't actually watch their network. That is changing. I expect NFL/College/NBA deals to peak soon. ESPN/Fox/Whoever can't continue to pay higher prices with falling viewer numbers.

45-70Ag
AG
I wish there was a way to pay 20 a month and get every college football game in hd
TheBestDammit12
AG
quote:
quote:

Lost me at soccer.

there was nothing after soccer in his post
Jacob_Yturri
It will definitely be interesting. I'm not sure what their goal is.
Jacob_Yturri
You should be on ESPN's Board of Directors...
AggieTFA06
AG
If I were an ESPN exec the first things I would cut would be poker and video game competitions
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
DannyDuberstein
AG
Those debate shows are unwatchable.

Give me some Australian rules football. As a kid of the 80's, I watched more than my share of it since it was a common daytime filler on Espn. More rugby works too
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
quote:

Lost me at soccer.

That's fine but it's the way the USA is moving
Motel California
S
Texags claiming they hate ESPN but watch it every day. Or use it one way or another every day

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
I could live without ESPN. The main channel is crap. Even the SECN doesn't do much for me. I watched some baseball this season and some of the A&M takeover this weekend. However, I normally watch zero hours of SECN in a month.

Money wasted. Considering dropping this expensive crap more and more every day.
Ag_EE
AG
quote:
If I were an ESPN exec the first things I would cut would be poker and video game competitions

Oh, and the spelling bee championships.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Post removed:
by user
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Those debate shows are unwatchable.

Give me some Australian rules football. As a kid of the 80's, I watched more than my share of it since it was a common daytime filler on Espn. More rugby works too

Amen.

I'd rather watch rugby than any of their effeminate talk shows.
stantxag
AG
The Heisman Ceremony has a Red Carpet show. Freak'n "who are you wearing" stinking red carpet show for college sports. They even had the propped up corpse of Joan Rivers there! Oh, wait.......I've been informed by a coworker that was actually Lou Holtz.
1876er
AG
The problem is thy have ESPN ESPN2, ESPNNEWS, SECN, LHN, ESPNU, ESPNdeportes, ESPN the magazine
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
I may be alone on this, but I like the spelling bee. Giving smart kids that work hard for something a little air time is OK with me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.