Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN cutting costs by over 250 million in the next two years

30,466 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgsForTheWin
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
To hell with espn but please do keep the lhn. its the noose that keeps on giving!

At this point, they can convert the LHN into the Big XII network in a year or two and I won't care. Their footprint will suck for carriage rates anyways. Not enough tvs, even with the state of Texas. The window to do that deal may be passing.

Well, I would care because the entertainment value of the horns failing in such spectacular fashion would be immensely entertaining for years. A gaping wound that would never heal fully, a scab to be picked at.
Sex Panther
AG
It's gonna really suck next year when Sportscenter won't be live from the World Horseshoe Championships like they are today.

That interview with 19 time champion Mike Francis was riveting.
longhornhere55
Enjoyed watching Spieth, Johnson and Matasama's rounds on the LHN Thursday & Friday. Also, the Pan Am Games have been good on the LHN.

Just another + of the network.
ckwarren33
quote:
Enjoyed watching Spieth, Johnson and Matasama's rounds on the LHN Thursday & Friday. Also, the Pan Am Games have been good on the LHN.

Dont forget to mention the RuPaul fashion shows and the REALLY bad college football reruns.
Post removed:
by user
45-70Ag
AG
When this happens I'm getting away from cable but it still years away.
BMX Bandit
Why are you waiting?

You can get all of the ESPN channels for $25 on sling TV
45-70Ag
AG
This is the point where I broadcast my stupidity...........what is sling TV?

Just looked, appears to work with a roku, pay the monthly fee and get the channels.
BMX Bandit
Sling TV is an American over-the-top internet protocol television service that is owned by the Sling TV LLC subsidiary of Dish Network. Unveiled on January 5, 2015, at the Consumer Electronics Show, the service aims to complement subscription video on demand services for cord cutters, offering a selection of major cable channels that can be streamed through smart TVs, digital media players and apps.[1][2]

Sling TV is led by CEO Roger Lynch, who formerly served as the executive vice president of advanced technologies for Dish Network. The service's precursor, the ethnic television service DishWorld, was also brought under the auspices of Sling TV LLC and was rebranded as Sling International.[3] Sling TV officially launched on February 9, 2015, after offering the service on an invitation basis in January of that year. As of June 2015, the service has approximately 250,000 subscribers.[4]
45-70Ag
AG
Wow this is definitely worth looking into and by far cheaper than cable.
BMX Bandit
The only reason I haven't done it is because I'd still have to pay for CBS, NBC & ABC HD through cable. The cost saving isn't quite there for me yet.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
The only reason I haven't done it is because I'd still have to pay for CBS, NBC & ABC HD through cable. The cost saving isn't quite there for me yet.
Not a flame, but where do you live that you can't get OTA HD signals? Or are you joking?
Post removed:
by user
BMX Bandit
I live in an old man body that doesn't know how to get any over the air channels anymore. Do I have to buy a special antenna? I've never needed over the air, so it's a skill I never picked up.

Help out gramps?
Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
There are way better OTA HD primers, but it is 100% doable for most folks. After monitoring my household's habits closely, I am finding that it is simply not worth it to continue to pay for ESPN's subsidization of all other crap ass channels. Not an LOL poor, just tired of flushing my money away.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-over-the-air-antenna-for-free-hd-1569752514
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Walt Disney was a horrible person and I wish I could unplug his corpse from the freezer so he could rot
lol wtf?
45-70Ag
AG
Walts corpse in a freezer is a wild myth.

Now why he was a terrible person.........who knows
AggieEE
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't watch crap TV or news reporting.
I NEVER, EVER watch the LHN (re-Living Hog s*** News).
Make the sensible an easy cost cutting measure ESPN; drop the LHN & ESPY's. No one gives a good BM about them. They're manufactured for idealistic people who buy their shirts at Wally World.

Add the x games to that list as well
Uh, what's wrong with the X Games?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
Hummmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/disneys-bob-iger-says-inevitable-that-espn-goes-direct-to-consumer-2015-07-27
The SECN+ digital offering via watchESPN is pretty enjoyable to watch either on computer or via AppleTV (or other device) on an HD TV if you have adequate network bandwidth. The idea that you can watch what you want is intriguing.

ESPN does a pretty crappy job at the cut at the end of segments due to relative streaming positioning across many streams. They're pretty far behind live. And their commercial inventory gets repetitive. You can't rewind like you can with a DVR when live streaming and frankly even the Apple TV remote is pretty clunky with back/forward watching (though infinitely less annoying than Uverse which doesn't have any for of slow motion and stutters with live feeds which you can always see with the crawl across the bottom.)

Clay Travis estimated you'd pay 5x for over-the-top for ESPN compared to the built in cost, but I suspect it won't be more than $25 per month. The choice between that and full cable at $100 (or more) per month is intriguing though I have a family and we also enjoy Fox Sports Southwest especially (DFW area, Rangers ballgames).

But more flexibility in watching? That can be nice.
45-70Ag
AG
We have time Warner and while I'm not exactly thrilled to have it there are some things on there for the kids that sling doesn't provide yet.

The cable bill is way too high but their our internet provider as well.

I hate cable but killing it at this point is blah. First world problems
Post removed:
by user
rams1918
AG
Recently moved, and did away with cable... Currently have internet service through xfinity (Performance Starter - $30/mo.) + Sling TV (Basic Package - $25/mo.) + Amzaon Fire ($99)

Love Amazon Fire (Prime Content is great - for an extra $100 annually). We use an HD antenna for all the local channels, and will probably add the sports package to our Sling TV ($5/mo.) during football season.

Otherwise, we are pretty well covered... So far so good...
FlyingTexan
rams xfinity gives you all your local channels with internet for like $49 a month.
BTKAG97
AG
quote:
I live in an old man body that doesn't know how to get any over the air channels anymore. Do I have to buy a special antenna? I've never needed over the air, so it's a skill I never picked up.

Help out gramps?
You know about sling TV but not this?

Digital Antenna.

AgCat93
AG
We live in the country and Comcast stops a mile from our house. They offered to run a wire to us - for $10,000. Thank you - no.

We have Dish (America's 250 package) and pay over $100 a month. Internet sucks with WildBlue at $87 a month (satellite service since we're country folk.)

I would imagine we can come up with something better and far less expensive. We haven't found anything so far to match what we have.
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
We live in the country and Comcast stops a mile from our house. They offered to run a wire to us - for $10,000. Thank you - no.

We have Dish (America's 250 package) and pay over $100 a month. Internet sucks with WildBlue at $87 a month (satellite service since we're country folk.)

I would imagine we can come up with something better and far less expensive. We haven't found anything so far to match what we have.
Satellite internet is terrible. Are you streaming with it??? Have you thought about getting a Verizon Jetpack for the internets? It's much faster, latency is not nearly as bad as satellite.

Obviously you won't be able to stream a lot of video with a Jetpack b/c of bandwidth charges, but the satellite internet has bandwidth caps as well correct?

If you're cell phones work well in the country and have 4G, the jetpack is freaking awesome sauce. I use it when I'm out at the ranch.

Jetpack has tons of options. You can buy the device outright (~100-200 bones), and not have contract obligations. Just purchase data month to month.
BMX Bandit
Thanks 3rd coast ag!

Got antenna & frankly HD looks better than Uverse did.
Homesick Aggie
AG
Mark Schlereth? Not me, I know him from my time in Denver as our kids went to school together, so I got to be around him in social functions that our kids participated in.

He used to introduce himself as "Mark Schlereth, ESPN NEWS" without looking up from his IPAD that he was watching while at a social gathering of other parents.

AgsForTheWin
AG
quote:

Hah. Each of those events were better covered on another ESPN channel. If liked Pan Am Games on LHN, try a real channel like ESPN or ESPNU (where most people watched them)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.