Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN cutting costs by over 250 million in the next two years

30,476 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AgsForTheWin
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah that and the little league World Series is ok I think.

But the X games, get rid of that crap and let spike or tru TV have it.
Panama Red
AG
Spelling bee got about same number of viewers as Rice v A&M game, and costs a lot less to broadcast for ESPN. I don't think it will be in the cost cutting measures.
45-70Ag
AG
And put Monday night football back on abc

I know they're under the same umbrella.
superunknown
AG
quote:
And put Monday night football back on abc

I know they're under the same umbrella.
Never happen.

ABC wants their prime inventory on Mondays and people who watch the NFL will follow it to ESPN. Putting MNF back on ABC takes away the prime inventory and then nobody will watch ESPN because who's going to watch another sport when MNF is on? Back when MNF was on ABC, ESPN would put some garbage stuff on so they wouldn't be competing with themselves. It was always like the 1992 Toughman Competition, and while watching roided out freaks toss around refrigerators is compelling, I'm not picking that over MNF.
halfastros81
AG
I can't remember the figure, is it 10 yrs @ $20MM per yr ESPN is paying tu for the LHN? There is absolutely no way they continue that once they reach the contract term length.

ESPN promotes the SEC so there is that in their favor.
FrontPorchAg
Hope that they are stuck with each other for at least a few more years.
longeryak
With cord cutting, how many TV households in your footprint is going to be replaced by how many actual eyeballs do you deliver for any future conference realignments.
MSFC Aggie
AG
This was the best part of the article...
quote:
In the meantime, we'll all wait and see what ESPN does with radio host Colin Cowherd with his contract expiring later this year. He'll want more than he's making now, obviously. Whether ESPN will pay him remains to be seen.

I too, like many others, mostly watch the live events. But I do like the 30 for 30s. Oh, and the Sportscenter commercials.
dimeboxaggie
AG
I stream everything. Much cheaper. Free actually.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
Kill outside the lines
Get rid of bob ley
Quit covering the MLB

FIFY. NBA makes a ton more money for ESPN than MLB does.
FlyingTexan
I literally watched, for a brief moment, juggling competitions on espn 2. Not to mention bowling, billiards, etc. They don't need to murder the conference pay to find extra cash.
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:
Kill outside the lines
Get rid of bob ley
Quit covering the MLB

FIFY. NBA makes a ton more money for ESPN than MLB does.

That and baseball is boring as ****.
FlyingTexan
quote:
I wish there was a way to pay 20 a month and get every college football game in hd
www.sling.com
Signel
AG
Cord cutters are killing ESPN. Their contracts limit their ability to be like netflix.

If ESPN were to offer all their streaming service for 5 bucks over watchespn, they would add millions overnight.

I was paying 20 for SlingTV just so i could pay 5 for espn on top during baseball season. I did not watch Sling at all.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Agsuffering@bulaw
quote:
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've... stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports... Now they talk about tweets, personal drama, and the lives of athletes for the first 20 minutes of the show before they even attempt to show a highlight.

You speak for me too! I would rather watch arena football, amateur boxing; anything involving a ball, violence, or both is better than athlete-drama or stupid debates.
ckwarren33
quote:
quote:
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've... stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports... Now they talk about tweets, personal drama, and the lives of athletes for the first 20 minutes of the show before they even attempt to show a highlight.

You speak for me too! I would rather watch arena football, amateur boxing; anything involving a ball, violence, or both is better than athlete-drama or stupid debates.
It has been YEARS since I watched Sportscenter. In 1998, Sportscenter was the center of my TV universe. Too much spin, too much politics, too much fluff. ESPN may survive as a portal, but not as a generalist sports editorial and infotainment.
Al Bula
AG
I've been considering cutting gout DirecTV for awhile. I watch more Root Sports for Astros than I do ESPN.

Over the last 3 years of A&M SEC football, I have tracked what I was doing or where I was during the games. Here are the channels which the game was broadcast on and how I watched the games.

UF - ESPN - Watched in person at Kyle
SMU - FSN - Watched at a bar
SCSU - FSN - Watched in person at Kyle
Ark - SEC TV - Watched in person at Kyle
Ole Miss - ESPNU - Watched in person at Vaught Hemingway
LaTech - ESPNU - Watched at parents' home
LSU - ESPN - Watched in person at Kyle
Aub - ESPNU - Watched at home
Miss St - ESPN - Watched from New Mexico
Bana - CBS - Watched from Los Angeles
SHSU - PPV - Watched in person at Kyle
Mizzou - ESPN2 - Watched in person at Kyle
Zero U - FOX - Watched from tailgate in Arlington

Rice - ESPN - Watched in person at Kyle, part at Corner bar (hot day)
SHSH - ESPN3 - Watched in person at Kyle
Bama - CBS - Watched in person at Kyle
SMU - ESPNU - Watched in person at Kyle
Ark - ESPN2 - Watched at a bar
Ole Miss - ESPN - Watched in person at Vaught Hemingway
Aub - CBS - Watched in person at Kyle
Vandy - SEC TV - Watched in person at Kyle
UTEP - ESPN2 - Watched in person at Kyle
Miss St - CBS Watched in person at Kyle
LSU - CBS - Watched at bar in NOLA
Mizzou - ESPN - Watched at friend's house
Duke - ESPN - Watched at home

South Carolina - SECN - Watched at a bar
Lamar - SECN - Watched in person at Kyle
Rice - ESPN2 - Watched in person at Kyle
SMU - ABC/ESPN2 - Don't recall, probably drunk and watched on TV, definitely was not in Dallas
Ark - CBS - Watched at home
Miss St - ESPN - Watched in person at Davis Wade
Ole Miss - ESPN - Watched in person at Kyle
Bama - CBS - Watched in person at Bryant-Denney
ULM - SECN - Watched in person at Kyle
Aub - CBS - Watched partially from hotel in NYC
Mizzou - SECN - Watched in person at Kyle
LSU - ESPN - Watched in person at Kyle
WVU - ESPN - Watched at a bar

ASU - ESPN - Likely will watch at bar, maybe in person
Ball St - ESPNU - Plan on attending in person
Nev - SECN - Plan on attending in person

Summary: I have only watched THREE games since 2012 in my own home AND shelling out stupid money to ESPN's crap family of networks while keeping Oprah and other tampon channels afloat.

Furthermore, a year into the SECN, I have little to no use for it. I watched a handfull of baseball games and maybe one or two basketball games on SECN. I DVR'ed some of the SECN Takeover content, but that's it.

I have no kids yet, so my attendance and game watch habits may change at some point. Data today suggests I should cut DirecTV out and sign up with Sling service if I need to keep ESPN.
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
ESPN just gave the Best Breakthrough Athlete award to Mo'Ne Davis over Jordan Spieth. And they wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Now excuse me while I watch Caitlyn Jenner accept an award on bravery.
Amazing Moves
They do waste quite a bit of money with live event on sight pre-shows like Gameday for both basketball and football. That has to cost quite a bit. I sleep through them. Do they really need an on sight table discussion at SEC media days? All of that crap should go. Roll it into your sportscenter coverage like it used to be.

The live radio shows are good for the most part but, the talent is way overpaid. They can get guys that are just as entertaing for less. Same goes for the anchors. They have way too many. Large news networks don't have as many as they do. The ESPYs are a farce. If your gonna cover that many sports you need to focus most of your budget on the production. Keep the things people are interested in like replay angles, hot sideline reporters and that's about it. Curb interviews and sappy ass stories. People don't want to be constantly reminded about the things that suck in life. I don't care about people overcoming horrible things to play a game I'm about to watch. I guess I'm a dick like that but they constantly shove that **** down your throat. That is some production that would save money and sanity.

I think they've been presented a great opportunity to put a better product on TV. Possibly save their asses in the process.
dixichkn
AG
quote:
ESPN just gave the Best Breakthrough Athlete award to Mo'Ne Davis over Jordan Spieth. And they wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Now excuse me while I watch Caitlyn Jenner accept an award on bravery.
Their playing politics is really starting to irritate me......of course we all knew about the Caitlyn thing a few weeks back, but their 30 for 30 replays of late have been telling. A couple of weeks ago, during the height of the Confederate flag thing, notice what they had in fairly heavy rotation for a few days? "Ghosts of Mississippi". And now that the Donald is generating a bunch of headlines, noticed they've been replaying "Who Killed The USFL" a lot. Just stay the f out of politics and give us what we should reasonably expect from a sports network.......y'know, stuff like SPORTS
AnalogyAg
quote:
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports. Around the turn of the decade they made what seemed to me to be a strong effort to report more about the personalities in sports than the sports themselves. Before 2010 sportscenter almost exclusively played highlights of games from the night before. Now they talk about tweets, personal drama, and the lives of athletes for the first 20 minutes of the show before they even attempt to show a highlight. Between all the drama LeBron had with leaving Cleveland, and the summer of Manziel, they basically turned into TMZ. It's nauseating and I hope they go back to being the world wide leader in sports, not the world wide leader in sports celebrity drama.
agree with PWest- I'm pretty sick of MTVSPN
AnalogyAg
quote:
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports. Around the turn of the decade they made what seemed to me to be a strong effort to report more about the personalities in sports than the sports themselves. Before 2010 sportscenter almost exclusively played highlights of games from the night before.
You better watch out P West. As the author of the "comeback route" quote, I know how this thing can take off on a life of its own!
Michael Cera Palin
AG
quote:
quote:
I know I speak for myself and not everyone feels the same way but I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN for anything other than live sports. Around the turn of the decade they made what seemed to me to be a strong effort to report more about the personalities in sports than the sports themselves. Before 2010 sportscenter almost exclusively played highlights of games from the night before.
You better watch out P West. As the author of the "comeback route" quote, I know how this thing can take off on a life of its own!
I am prepared for whatever TexAgs glory comes my way
stantxag
AG
Times are bad all around. Univision Deportes is losing 185 jobs and 2 parking spaces.
VanZandt92
quote:
Times are bad all around. Univision Deportes is losing 185 jobs and 2 parking spaces.

I'm laughing.
cajunaggie08
AG
Cowherd is now leaving ESPN. It appears he got a better offer somewhere else
ckwarren33
quote:
I hear presstitution is legal (and lucrative) out in Nevada. Maybe Dennis Hof needs a new beeitch.
WGann3
AG
quote:
Did an actual reason come out? I posted this little snippet I saw on the side of espn.com in a thread specificially about him leaving but I haven't seen any reasoning like leaving for another network.

45-70Ag
AG
Probably going into political talk on a San Francisco station.
MSFC Aggie
AG
I read somewhere he's going to Fox Sports
Texas Tide
AG
He has been dropping hints for a while about going to California and leaving the Northeast. Wouldn't shock me one bit if he and Simmons jumped on the Fox wagon since I'm pretty sure they do most of their work out there.
Loyalty
AG
To hell with espn but please do keep the lhn. its the noose that keeps on giving!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.