Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

283,042 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bill Superman
MaysGrad09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which campus should be the #2 A&M system school if enrollment at the flagship is capped?
JJxvi
AG
Kingsville and Commerce
Fitch
AG
Interesting to hear the opinions some of y'all have about people you haven't met. But I suppose that's par for the course, or a actually maybe even a little better, for the zoo.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
This is a football fan board right?? Do you guys realize you are trying to make your point about the state of higher education of a major public university on a football board?!! In other words, you have zero credibility (yours truly included) - keep it real, buy another round, eh?

What does the medium have to do with anything? The overwhelming majority of posters here are former students and this is the most heavily trafficked board relating to Texas A&M on the entirety of the Internet.

If there are concerns, graduates seem like a credible group to discuss university direction. Am I missing something?

I will take that beer though.
M.C. Swag
AG
I still don't understand where the catalyst for this thread is.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Gawd...didn't you hear?! Sharp is planning to lease the polo fields to a traveling carnival. They're going to paint the new seal inside the bonfire memorial and put a merry-go-round on it. It must be true because he's such a dick.
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:

You have a regent (now former) saying he wants to accept an additional 10,000 students every year (and no regents or administrators publicly disagreed). You have the engineering school more than doubling in the next 10 years, and you have record enrollment every semester with no end in sight and a chancellor saying we don't want to be a "snobby school that rejects too many kids". What don't you understand?
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:

You have a regent (now former) saying he wants to accept an additional 10,000 students every year (and no regents or administrators publicly disagreed). You have the engineering school more than doubling in the next 10 years, and you have record enrollment every semester with no end in sight and a chancellor saying we don't want to be a "snobby school that rejects too many kids". What don't you understand?

Show me where those quotes are. To me it seems like a self cycling message board prophecy that has no credible roots.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

You say that like its a problem...and like MC says...what makes u say that anyway?
M.C. Swag
AG
And again I ask, where did 80k come from?
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
Which campus should be the #2 A&M system school if enrollment at the flagship is capped?
Commerce, Kingsville, and Laredo are the only other Doctoral/Research universities in the system. Pick one and build it up. Commerce makes the most sense since it has the largest enrollment of the 3 and is closest to a metro area being an hour from Dallas.
coldmoose
coldmoose
I can't believe the BOR is really this dense. You have people serving who have accomplished something in other areas. Maybe they do embrace having the A&M system being the Cal State system model for Texas and conceding that the other system can strive to be of a higher order like the U of California system is for the state of California.
Oh well.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Enrollment is currently at almost 59,000.

25x25 calls for an additional 15,000 students in engineering alone 10 years from now.

That's 74,000 total enrollment from the engineering increas alone.

80,000 in the next decade is an almost inevitable outcome if the A&M University system's current trajectory remains unchanged. The engineers who transfer out of engineering and to other colleges alone will get us to at least 80,000, even without admitting any more freshman directly into the non-engineering colleges.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
Commerce has the second largest enrollment in the A&M system and is less than an hour from downtown Dallas. It's has engineering, science, agriculture, business...it's time to pump serious money into it and make it the No. 2 A&M system school. UT-Dallas has a huge head start.

Question: Is Commerce eligible for PUF money?
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
Commerce, Kingsville, and Laredo are the only other Doctoral/Research universities in the system. Pick one and build it up. Commerce makes the most sense since it has the largest enrollment of the 3 and is closest to a metro area being an hour from Dallas.
Well. Step back erryone...Sounds like we've got a future BOR member on our hands here!! I don't know about yous guys...but when Richie-Zone talks it's like EF freakin Hutton over here where I'm at.

Actually, it reminds me of Kramer and Newman playing Risk on the subway
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well. Step back erryone...Sounds like we've got a future BOR member on our hands here!! I don't know about yous guys...but when Richie-Zone talks it's like EF freakin Hutton over here where I'm at.

Your an ass hole. Stop being a dick.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your an ass hole. Stop being a dick.
Dude. Battling your silly politics calls for it. This thread is a train wreck and you guys are completely jacking off here.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
Enrollment is currently at almost 59,000.

25x25 calls for an additional 15,000 students in engineering alone 10 years from now.

That's 74,000 total enrollment from the engineering increas alone.

80,000 in the next decade is an almost inevitable outcome if the A&M University system's current trajectory remains unchanged. The engineers who transfer out of engineering and to other colleges alone will get us to at least 80,000, even without admitting any more freshman directly into the non-engineering colleges.

1) No, there's 53k enrollment at Texas A&M - College Station
2) The plan calls for a cap of 15k increase by 2025 with the ability to re-evaluate.
3) 25x25 was announced years ago and still doesn't explain the 80k or any recent quotes from Sharp.
RAB87
AG
quote:
UT-Austin is about to leave A&M in the dust. A&M's competition will be UT-Dallas and UH.

This is so much BS. The increased enrollment at both schools has 1) fallen far behind state population growth and 2) been accompanied by dramatically increased entrance scores. A&M and Horns MUST continue to increase enrollment.
JeffHamilton82
Need to remember that there are a lot of current and former gubmit workers and their family that post here and a lot of them have a personal ax to grind so the hatred is expected.
MaysGrad09
quote:
This is so much BS. The increased enrollment at both schools has 1) fallen far behind state population growth
Which might be significant if there were only two universities in Texas. Texas A&M used to be a top 2 or 3 university in Texas. Now it's 4th or 5th behind Rice, Texas, SMU and is practically tied with Baylor in the USN&WR rankings. Also, UH and UT-Dallas are becoming more competitive in getting students that used to go to A&M.

quote:
A&M and Horns MUST continue to increase enrollment.
Or what? Risk reaching their goal of becoming top public universities like UVA, UCLA, or Cal?

Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Need to remember that there are a lot of current and former gubmit workers and their family that post here and a lot of them have a personal ax to grind so the hatred is expected.
Yep. That's what this has been about since the beginning
Spyderman
AG
Gonna need an equal percentage of the PUF..

soon
Ross Street
I emailed Chancellor Sharp about this and he insists the Chancellor's role is not to dictate to any of the universities on academic policy. His role is to get them the resources they need to accomplish their goals. So he respectfully refers you to the president and provost on the question of accepting too many students.
Captain Augustus McCrae
Hi John!

provost@tamu.edu, president@tamu.edu

start emailing
Noble07
AG
Increasing enrollment to 70-80k will completely change the school. IMO, A&M is different than most places because the majority of students get involved on campus and develop lasting relationships that encourage them to be loyal supporters of the school for the rest of their life. Quite a few of my tu/UH/tech friends went to class, and then went about their lives off campus.

Unintended consequences of increasing enrollment to 70k:

- Classroom sizes are 200-300 students...or lectures move to online videos and a lot of students stay off campus 3-4 days a week. Online classroom is a huge part of 25X25.
- The Corps is already at its max...would have to turn away prospective cadets.
- Majority of fish will have to live off campus.
- Roughly 15% of students can attend Muster at Reed
- Majority of students can't attend football games

We would be able to produce more Aggies...but what would it mean to be an Aggie?

springaggie2014
Keep in mind the enrollment of the Galveston, Qatar and all campuses acquired in the HSC merger are included in that total they always boast.
MaysGrad09
quote:
I emailed Chancellor Sharp about this and he insists the Chancellor's role is not to dictate to any of the universities on academic policy. His role is to get them the resources they need to accomplish their goals. So he respectfully refers you to the president and provost on the question of accepting too many students.
And there's your official response from the university.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Hi John!

start emailing
I heard the new flag room name is 'The Conservative White Males Only Room'!!! It must be true because sharp is such a peen!!,!,M,!

Email sent!!!! I've never felt feel soo liberated!

Anyone one else feeling the presence of Saul Alinsky? It's making me so hot!
MaysGrad09
quote:

start emailing
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Bull. ****. I don't have any connection to the matter except I went to A&M and I want the best for my school.

If you disagree on what is best, fine. But you've said absolutely nothing to back up yor opinion.

All you can do is resort to personal attacks and try to avoid any actual discussion of the question of whether rapid growth would be good or bad for Texas A&M.

You've got nothing of worth to say. Nothing. And that's OK- I'm sure you've got other things on your mind. But cut your **** on this- it's a waste of space and getting in the way of real discussion about A&M's growth.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bull. ****. I don't have any connection to the matter except I went to A&M and I want the best for my school.

If you disagree on what is best, fine. But you've said absolutely nothing to back up yor opinion.

All you can do is resort to personal attacks and try to avoid any actual discussion of the question of whether rapid growth would be good or bad for Texas A&M.

You've got nothing of worth to say. Nothing. And that's OK- I'm sure you've got other things on your mind. But cut your **** on this- it's a waste of space and getting in the way of real discussion about A&M's growth.
Exactly!! ...can you imagine what USN&WR ranking we'll be getting next year after this? All the school guidance counselors who influence those polls are gonna show us what's what! We're sooo toast. All the other kids with high sat's are gonna want to go to a much cooler and more respected utep now instead of A&M. Thx sharpie u dick
coldmoose
True the population of the state of Texas is growing. So the only places to accommodate the growth is in Austin or College Station (or Galveston). So there aren't other schools in the system? So people would be left without a means to go to college altogether? Are the other universities in Texas going to cease to exist? Maybe that is the next phase. Hmmmmm.........
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly!! ...can you imagine what USN&WR ranking we'll be getting next year after this? All the school guidance counselors who influence those polls are gonna show us what's what! We're sooo toast. All the other kids with high sat's are gonna want to go to a much cooler and more respected utep now instead of A&M. Thx sharpie u dick

Yep. You've got absolutely nothing of worth to say.

Just give it up, kid. You're not impressing anyone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.